Deadhouse Landing - Finished! Spoilers will be hidden

#61 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

Nevyn, on 02 January 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

Shiver, on 18 November 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

Fair enough, but neither Toc the Elder or his son were ever described as having blue skin, though, which he'd have if he were Napan.

Then again Hawl also died in this book when she should've gone on to marry Nok and later die on Drift Avalii, so maybe there's just a bit of continuity mess-up going on.

I've been going back through text searches of the MBotF chasing down references.

And worth noting that when Nok and Gamet are talking with Tavore about the family, they actually mention Hawl among the losses of conquering Malaz.

So whatever weirdness goes on there, it seems to be by design. Although there are other inconsistensies.

The thing is, Dancer was surprised to find Hawl on Avalii in HoC, so the notion of her faking her own death is totally workable, but for that she was supposed to have married Nok first.
...unless that marriage already happened, but then i'm scratching my head why Hawl would bail at this stage rather than later when most of the Old Guard start faking their deaths.

....not to mention that Hawl ends up on Avalii with a bunch of Malazans and Dassem Ultor...

ICE YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAINING TO DO.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#62 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

Abyss, on 02 January 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

The thing is, Dancer was surprised to find Hawl on Avalii in HoC, so the notion of her faking her own death is totally workable, but for that she was supposed to have married Nok first.
...unless that marriage already happened, but then i'm scratching my head why Hawl would bail at this stage rather than later when most of the Old Guard start faking their deaths.

....not to mention that Hawl ends up on Avalii with a bunch of Malazans and Dassem Ultor...

ICE YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAINING TO DO.

What is to say they aren't married already? Nok (Noc) is referred to already. Just because he did not leave Nap with her doesn't mean they are not married yet.

Reading back through HoC, the two biggest factual discrepancies seem to be what happened to Nap, and when Nok was there

Here is the quote, round about page 296 in the google ebook:

'Who were the first hirelings, Admiral?"
'Myself, Ameron, Dujek, a woman named Hawl - my wife. I had been First Mate to a corsair that worked the sea lanes around the Napan Isles - which had just been annexed by Unta and were providing a staging point for the Untan King's planned invasion of Kartool. We'd taken beating and had limped into Malaz Harbour, only to have the ship and its crew arrested by Mock, who was negotiating a trade of prisoners with Unta. Only Ameron and Hawl and I escaped. A lad named Dujek discovered where we were holed up and he delivered us to his new employers, Kellanved and Dancer.'
'Was this before they were granted entry into the Deadhouse?' Gamet asked.
'Aye, but only just. Our residency in the Deadhouse rewarded us with - as is now clearly evident - certain gifts. Longevity, immunity to most diseases, and ... other things. The Deadhouse also provided us with an unassailable base of operations. Dancer later bolstered our numbers by recruiting among the refugee Napans who'd fled the conquest: Cartheron Crust and his brother, Urko. And Surly - Laseen. Three more men were to follow shortly thereafter. Toc Elder, Dassem Ultor - who was, like Kellanved, of Dal Honese blood - and a renegade High Septarcg of the D'rek Cult, Tayschrenn. And finally, Duiker.' He half smiled at Tavore. ' The family. Which with Kellanved conquered Malaz Island. Swiftly done, with minimal losses ...'
Minimal ... 'Your wife' Gamet said.
'Yes, her'.

The conversation goes on, but I have to type and can't copy paste, so we'll end there. Discrepancies from Deadhouse Landing in bold, the part suggesting Hawl always died around the events of this book in red.

Which still doesn't explain how she ends up alive on Drift Avalii later, but suggests that that could be an as yet unexplained happening in the story and not an ICE error.

By the way, this is the same book where she appears on Drift Avalii talking about her dying back then.

Could be what the "Longevity, immunity to most diseases, and ... other things." refers to.

This book also suggested they all got into Deadhouse and used it as a base before taking over Malaz.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#63 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

PS> Another thing I came in across while looking for references was a description (in Throatslitter POV) of the order of conquest which could predict the next book.

Namely, it had the T'lan Imass overthrowing Heng before Kellanved had a navy or had conquered anywhere else in Quon Tali.

Which, if ice sticks with it could have the next book be Nap from the Napan's, KD finding the Imass throne, and then overthrowing the protectress.

Then any future books could be further empire building.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

oh fuckit the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important
the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important
the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is
not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not
important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the
timeline is not important the timeline is not important
the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important
the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important
the timeline is not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#65 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

Lol, also reading that HoC quote, it has to be Erikson's biggest exposition dump of all time.

#66 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Gorefest said:

1510964079[/url]' post='1310081']

Lamora said:

1510796427[/url]' post='1309751']
Does anyone know when Graymane joined the group? I thought he was part of the Old Guard, but he doesn't seem to have appeared yet? Or did I miss him somewhere?

Greymane Old Guard? He is one of the commanders under Kellanved, but not during his early exploits. Greymane didnt rise to prominence until the Korelri invasion which is way, waaaaay later in the Malazan campaigns, if I recall correctly. So he should have no involvement in these early exploits, i dont think

Greymane's kicking around somewhere at this time. In Dancer's Lament, Buell tells Silk that not even Greymane himself could take on Ryllandaras.

#67 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

worry said:

1511511049[/url]' post='1310885']
Tattersail should have read her deck! Has ICE ever done a deck-reading scene?

One that comes to mind is the little boy, Hrath, in RotCG. He does a reading for Ereko that mentions the Queen of Dreams, Soldier of Light, Kallor, Death, etc.

#68 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

ICE talks about the future of the series here.

JSH: Path to Ascendancy is a trilogy, correct?
ICE: Currently, the Path to Ascendancy series stands as a trilogy (sort of). It may expand, but that will all depend upon its execution and reception. In other words, if it works and I enjoy it as much as the readers, then there is a chance it could expand.
JSH: What is your current tease for the third book in the Path to Ascendancy series?
ICE: Gah, I have no current tease. What I will say is that just as Deadhouse Landing picked up right after Dancer's Lament, so too will the next pick up, and that its current working title is Kellanved's Reach.

#69 User is offline   Kellanveds_Herald 

• Recruit

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:30 AM

I agree with SOOOOO much of what you said here. I know this book is supposed to be about Dancer, but I felt this book, even more so then Dancers Lament, REALLY shows the relationship that Dancer and Kellanved have with one another. I CAN'T WAIT until the next book. This was just such a fun ride! So many twists and turns!

Spoiler

Can't WAIT til the next book. I've been holding off on reading the ICE books, but Dancer's Lament and now Deadhouse Landing have me SOOOOO excited to go read the other books. It's just a marvel to stand back and appreciate what these two men have created!!!!

Andorion, on 15 November 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

So, that was a wild wild ride.

I feel as if all the promises ICE made in Dancer's Lament really came to fruition in this book. I am completely and utterly hooked into this series. Frankly I think it should be extended further, or another trilogy commissioned.

Spoiler

Apprentice of Kellanved...

#70 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Kellanveds_Herald, on 15 January 2018 - 01:30 AM, said:

I agree with SOOOOO much of what you said here. I know this book is supposed to be about Dancer, but I felt this book, even more so then Dancers Lament, REALLY shows the relationship that Dancer and Kellanved have with one another. I CAN'T WAIT until the next book. This was just such a fun ride! So many twists and turns!

Spoiler

Can't WAIT til the next book. I've been holding off on reading the ICE books, but Dancer's Lament and now Deadhouse Landing have me SOOOOO excited to go read the other books. It's just a marvel to stand back and appreciate what these two men have created!!!!

I feel as if all the promises ICE made in Dancer's Lament really came to fruition in this book. I am completely and utterly hooked into this series. Frankly I think it should be extended further, or another trilogy commissioned.

Spoiler

Kellanved is basically a Tanno Spiritiwalker among others . Just realized this.

#71 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

For some reason I have a feeling that Dassem is a reborn ascendant and that he is connected to this description below in Midnight Tides

It seemed that the night would never end during the war with the Sar Trell. Before the appearance of our Great Emperor, Dessimbelackis, our legions were thrown back on the field of battle, again and again. Our sons and daughters wept blood on the green ground, and the wagon-drums of the enemy came forth in thunder. But no stains could hold upon our faith, and it shone ever fierce, ever defiant. We drew our ranks tall, overlapped shield polished and bright as the red sun, and the one among us who was needed, who was destined to grasp the splashed grip of the First Empire's truthful sword, gave his voice and his strength to lead us in answer to well-throated rumble of the Sar Trell warcries, th estone-tremble of their wagon-drums. Victory was destined, in the forge-lit eyes of He of the Seven Holy cities, the fever-charge of his will, and on that day, the Nineteenth in the Month of Leth-ara in the year of Arenbal, the Sar Trell army was broken on the plain south of Yath-Ghatan, and with their bones was laid the foundation, and with their skulls the cobbles of Empire's road.

#72 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

nacht, on 18 January 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

For some reason I have a feeling that Dassem is a reborn ascendant and that he is connected to this description below in Midnight Tides

That refers to Dessimbelackis though, and he is the Deragoth and as such still sort of around. Can't be reborn if your predecessor isn't technically dead yet.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#73 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Finished this this week. Just thoroughly entertaining.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#74 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:57 AM

From Assail, memories of Jute of Delass

Was this the Cartheron Crust, one-time companion to the old ogre emperor and his killer and usurper, Laseen? victor, with Nok, of the battle of Fenn Bay, where the combined Falaran navy was scattered in a rout? His grandfather had fought at that battle and told stories of the sorcery unleashed.

Looking forward to this battle in the next battle, and about the Jhistal cult.
I don;t think we learned much about Falar in the previous books.

#75 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

We'll probably find that his grandfather was telling porkies and there was no battle of Fenn Bay, just two rowing boats attacking each other with oars and planks-with-a-splinter-in, after which Kellanved's familiar peed on the Falar rower's head and they stormed off in a sulk.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#76 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

Should we remind ICE that at some point, Kellanved must meet up with the Moranth, and the first Malazan sapper comes out hiding (hopefully it is not Crump :-)

This post has been edited by nacht: 19 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

#77 User is offline   Kremson 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Spoiler

#78 User is offline   Kremson 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

So can anyone tell me who the Fisher is at the end of the book. I liked the whole story and dl and this we're my first ice books. Really good honestly but as has been pointed out there are some continuity issues.also like others I hope he continues past the third story. It would appear as if there are around 90 years of the empire or so before the Ascension that's place. Would also love to see both authors do something together.

This post has been edited by Kremson: 28 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

#79 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

Read Night of Knives and you'll figure out who he is.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#80 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:01 AM

Nevyn, on 02 January 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

And worth noting that when Nok and Gamet are talking with Tavore about the family, they actually mention Hawl among the losses of conquering Malaz.

So whatever weirdness goes on there, it seems to be by design. Although there are other inconsistensies.

I think this is part where the refer to most of old guard as dead (drowned). Toc Elder resurfaces and Hawl was trained by Cotillion himself, so did escape.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users