• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deadhouse Landing - Finished! Spoilers will be hidden

#1 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

So, that was a wild wild ride.

I feel as if all the promises ICE made in Dancer's Lament really came to fruition in this book. I am completely and utterly hooked into this series. Frankly I think it should be extended further, or another trilogy commissioned.

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

Why do you all get it so much earlier? I preordered it from Amazon and it is not due to land on my doormat until tomorrow :thumbsup:
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostGorefest, on 15 November 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

Why do you all get it so much earlier? I preordered it from Amazon and it is not due to land on my doormat until tomorrow :thumbsup:

^^This.

I'm convinced that Chapters shifted the release date to like Dec so they don't have to answer questions about it not being on shelves when it's supposed to be.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

Oh goody someone finished. :thumbsup:

Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#5 User is offline   Lamora 

• Recruit

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

I am feeling really positive after this book that this is no longer a trilogy. There is no way its one. Heck, we just got to the taking of Malaz island. Dancer and Kelenved don't ascend (Path to Ascendancy) until NoK. Thats about 30-100 years down the timeline depending on where exactly we are now. I am thinking this series is in for the long haul, and I couldn't be happier about it. Esslemont is truly at his best in this series.

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 November 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

Oh goody someone finished. :thumbsup:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   Lamora 

• Recruit

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:40 AM

Does anyone know when Graymane joined the group? I thought he was part of the Old Guard, but he doesn't seem to have appeared yet? Or did I miss him somewhere?

#8 User is offline   qcp 

• Suzerain of Bourbon

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

View PostAndorion, on 15 November 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I feel as if all the promises ICE made in Dancer's Lament really came to fruition in this book. I am completely and utterly hooked into this series. Frankly I think it should be extended further, or another trilogy commissioned.

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by qcp: 17 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:14 AM

View PostLamora, on 16 November 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

Does anyone know when Graymane joined the group? I thought he was part of the Old Guard, but he doesn't seem to have appeared yet? Or did I miss him somewhere?

Greymane Old Guard? He is one of the commanders under Kellanved, but not during his early exploits. Greymane didnt rise to prominence until the Korelri invasion which is way, waaaaay later in the Malazan campaigns, if I recall correctly. So he should have no involvement in these early exploits, i dont think
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   AliG2403 

• Recruit

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Was Toc the Elder napan?

#11 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

View Postqcp, on 17 November 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 15 November 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostAliG2403, on 18 November 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Was Toc the Elder napan?

I really doubt that Tocaras=Toc.

Toc was associated with the Seti.

#12 User is offline   Lamora 

• Recruit

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

Well Tocaras is always going on about how he hates the sea. I could see him basically adopting or being adopted by the Seti once he meets them. I don't think there will be another Toc coming in the future besides Tocaras.

#13 User is offline   Shiver 

• Recruit

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

View PostLamora, on 18 November 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

Well Tocaras is always going on about how he hates the sea. I could see him basically adopting or being adopted by the Seti once he meets them. I don't think there will be another Toc coming in the future besides Tocaras.

Fair enough, but neither Toc the Elder or his son were ever described as having blue skin, though, which he'd have if he were Napan.

Then again Hawl also died in this book when she should've gone on to marry Nok and later die on Drift Avalii, so maybe there's just a bit of continuity mess-up going on.

#14 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:29 AM

God I loved this book! May be ICE's best yet. To the point, great character moments, punchy dialogue, and SO much story!

Spoiler

briliant stuff!
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#15 User is offline   Trazar 

• Recruit

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

View PostShiver, on 18 November 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

Fair enough, but neither Toc the Elder or his son were ever described as having blue skin, though, which he'd have if he were Napan.

Then again Hawl also died in this book when she should've gone on to marry Nok and later die on Drift Avalii, so maybe there's just a bit of continuity mess-up going on.

The Tocaras = Toc is open to question. We have to figure he is a pretty famous member of the old guard, yet that name is not mentioned.

That leads me in....I am surprised we did not see Nok.....or Did we?

There is a quote where Grinner and Nok are mentioned specifically as Napan hero's of the old guard.

So the question becomes, maybe Nok "Who will never come on land" was a guy that "Hates the sea" or Maybe Hawl and Grinner are not as gone as we think.

#16 User is offline   JohnO 

• Corporal

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by JohnO: 20 November 2017 - 10:09 PM

#17 User is offline   Giantblaze 

• Corporal

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:37 AM

I don't know about you guys but I feel like the Kallor story line wasn't really needed in this book.

#18 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:46 AM

View PostGiantblaze, on 21 November 2017 - 03:37 AM, said:

I don't know about you guys but I feel like the Kallor story line wasn't really needed in this book.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by nacht: 21 November 2017 - 03:47 AM

#19 User is offline   qcp 

• Suzerain of Bourbon

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostShiver, on 18 November 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

The book never actually says Tocaras is Napan does it, just that he's with the Napan crew? Either way he's definitely described as an archer and the name is a huuuge coincidence if he actually isn't Toc.

#20 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

We do know though from RotCG that Toc was born in Bloor, which is an inland city on Quon Tali. Not on the Nap Isles. He is definitely not Seti himself, and he is famed for his archery skills which fits in with the Tocaras description, but in RotCG he is described as having a 'tanned, nut-brown scalp'. Nothing about blueish skin. Then again, I cannot remember if it is ever described whether the 'blueish' Napan skin was a dark blue, almost black, or a very light blue which might actually be overridden by brown pigmentation when out in the sun for prolonged periods. So I think there still is a distinct possibility that Tocaras indeed is Toc.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users