Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deadhouse Landing First Impression of Book

#1 User is offline   ShadowOwl 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

No spoilers here, but being about 1/3 through the book, this is great/wonderful/awesome!! Totally enjoying this - so much new info on fav characters, so many links to Malaz history, and lots of OMG moments! This is a blast to read, excellent!
So, back to the book!
"Yes, the owl was deliberate in each and every instance, and yes, it was intended to work on multiple levels." (from SE's Dec 09 Q&A)

#2 User is offline   Lamora 

• Recruit

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

I just finished the book, and I thought it was another great entry to the Path of Ascendancy. I think these novels were supposed to be a trilogy at the beginning, but I can't tell you how glad I am that this series looks to have been extended. I am assuming Ian will take these characters until the Night of Knives book to truly show the Path to Ascendancy. Its going to be a very fun ride if this is the plan.

Does anyone know just how much earlier this is set than GotM? 100 years? 30 years? Its really hard to tell.

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

View PostLamora, on 15 November 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

I just finished the book, and I thought it was another great entry to the Path of Ascendancy. I think these novels were supposed to be a trilogy at the beginning, but I can't tell you how glad I am that this series looks to have been extended. I am assuming Ian will take these characters until the Night of Knives book to truly show the Path to Ascendancy. Its going to be a very fun ride if this is the plan.

Does anyone know just how much earlier this is set than GotM? 100 years? 30 years? Its really hard to tell.

The Empire was founded in the 1058th year after Burn's Sleep. The Siege of Pale in GotM takes place in the 1163rd year. So assuming that the DL events are set sometime between 1050-1058 aBS, we are looking at around a 100 years and a bit.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:33 PM

First impression is that this was very un-Malazan'esque as in it had a relatively straight forward storyline. No new unintroduced characters pop up, no arcane hints and hidden references....et al. Was a bit refreshing.

Tay's and Dassem's joining the crew felt a bit forced. Loved Surly and Napans story.

#5 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

I liked it a lot, but more than with Dancer's Lament, I often had the feeling I already knew what was going to happen.

#6 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

Three chapters in, really enjoying it.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users