• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weinstein Celebrity Dead Pool

#701 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

This is pretty cool, re: the Google walkout. https://www.business...workers-2018-11

I know some folks have grown pessimistic or cynical -- not necessarily towards the victims, but more in terms of the lasting effects of Me Too. Are they too localized to Hollywood and DC, or to people who have the means to fight vs. people who are powerless, and is anyone really being held responsible, etc.? All good concerns. I tend to be long-term optimistic, even if I recognize the two-steps-forward-one-step-back struggle here. I think this is a good sign, and the McDonald's strike in September (which we didn't really discuss here) was too, that there has been an impact beyond the people who get headlines.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#702 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:53 PM

Ok you delicate peanut gallery savages, with fragile, easy to offend psyches. We're a fucking year on from #MeToo and not even a whisper of sexual misconduct has been thrown my Consey's direction.
Posted Image

Oh and guys, unlike a lot of actors/actresses who age poorly, my Consey just gets sexier and sexier with age, and is still 'jack-it' worthy. So have a gander at this pic and give yourself a good time. Or curl up into an anxiety ball in your 'Cry Closet' until you can face this cruel, cold world again. Thank me later.Posted Image

#HowDoYouLikeThemApples

#703 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

http://youtu.be/l60MnDJklnM

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 02 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

#704 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:51 AM

WTAF???

:)

:D

Neil deGrasse Tyson?!?!

https://www.news.com...cde82d3b7d9b9d8

"Both allegations came to light about a year after musician Tchiya Amet claimed that deGrasse Tyson raped her when they were both graduate students."
I'm sure I haven't heard anything about this before. Or did I just miss it in the mass outpourings of the last year or so?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 December 2018 - 12:54 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#705 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 02 December 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

WTAF???

:)

:D

Neil deGrasse Tyson?!?!

https://www.news.com...cde82d3b7d9b9d8

"Both allegations came to light about a year after musician Tchiya Amet claimed that deGrasse Tyson raped her when they were both graduate students."
I'm sure I haven't heard anything about this before. Or did I just miss it in the mass outpourings of the last year or so?

I have. The first allegation (about him having raped Tchiya Amet in grad school) goes quite a few years back, but as it was the only allegation against him and it wasn't, at the time, particularly credible or even coherent, it was more or less ignored by the majority of people. Of course, a hell of a lot of those who ignored it would have ignored, or decried it regardless of the claims credibility.
Tyson himself ignored it, wisely, I might add. But now there are more allegations. And as we know, the more allegations, the more likely it's actually true.
He has responded to the allegations on his facebook page in a post titled "On being Accused".

I hope it isn't. Both for the women and for Tyson (plus a little for myself, I've always thought if I couldn't have Carl Sagan I could at least have Tyson as my favorite provider of astro-goodness!). But, I'm afraid that time might be running out for him.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 02 December 2018 - 10:03 AM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#706 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

There's a fourth now...

I have a bad feeling that the floodgates are about to burst open. I'm disappointed, but I can't honestly say I'm surprised. Aside from the accused, there is literally nothing new about this story. And it just another nail in the coffin for the "stellar" reputation of the skeptic community. No, it is as rotten as every other.

What? Is there a wizard alien we need to kill somewhere?

#707 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

Eeehh... Besides the rape story, which there is apparently doubts about, none og these stories strike me as particularly terrible. Awkward? Sure. Adulterous, sure. But there's no crimes for being socially awkward, drunk or bored of your marriage as far as I am aware.

I am not a fan of Tyson personally but I think it's reaching to call this MeToo just because Tyson is famous or that he has a higher degree than another person.

I guess it depends on what perspective you have when reading those articles.

#708 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:30 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 06 December 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

There's a fourth now...

I have a bad feeling that the floodgates are about to burst open. I'm disappointed, but I can't honestly say I'm surprised. Aside from the accused, there is literally nothing new about this story. And it just another nail in the coffin for the "stellar" reputation of the skeptic community. No, it is as rotten as every other.

What? Is there a wizard alien we need to kill somewhere?

Indeed.

There appears to be an entire generation of men for whom the latter alleged offences (not the rape allegation, but the other accusations of inappropriateness) were treated as harmless drunken come ons, or the like. To them they meant nothing more than they'd had a few, and got overtly sexually explicit with a woman they fancied, and it passed with a (or repeated) refusals. Not realizing that to women like Watson and Allers, the incidents left a far more indelible mark. I imagine that Tyson is one of those men. Hell, look at the picture of the christmas party with Allers...he's covered in sweat and you can see that drunken leer in his eye. He did what they said he did. 100%. He did it even though he's married with a kid, he did it even though they have/had boyfriends who were present, and he did it even though he's smart enough to know that it would make them feel uncomfortable. This fictional world where these women would throw themselves at his advances because of who he is and the power he holds is exactly that...fictional. He's smart enough to understand this, but too stupid to not let his junk do the talking.

And I think all that is now coming due with MeToo. Women are standing up now and saying "No, it's not at all cool if you come up drunkenly salivating over me and making suggestive sexual comments" The new normal should be teaching the next generation of men that consent is important in all avenues of social interactions.

I liked Tyson as a scientist, and generally liked his public presence....but a few listens to episodes of his podcast told me how arrogant he actually is, and shaded my original shiny view of him.

I think he needs to own all these things if he's going to move on, and perhaps confront the fact that what he saw as a consensual intimacy with the first woman was not that at all.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#709 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:22 PM

I think the episode where he brought his young assistant to his house and put the moves on her for two hours is so telling. Every sentence of his explanation in the fb post is such an obvious, bald-faced lie, it made me sad (though not sympathetic) to read it. And on a surface level you can take that as just one more dude desperately lying about cheating on his wife -- a convenient reading often used by apologists for genuine sexual predators like Bill Clinton -- but what it really is is an extremely influential international celebrity and star of a TV show exerting his position on a much lower tier coworker (might as well consider it a boss/employee relationship, even if technically she's an employee of the production company or whatever) in order to wear her down towards sex. That he didn't quite get to Charlie Rose or Les Moonves levels of disgusting when she decided to leave doesn't change what he did to her, personally and professionally, for those two hours. Or how it could affect her professional comfort going forward, which is a big part of the MeToo movement's point -- the way this constant, often invisible pressure pushes women out of industries, even without the overt scuzzy gatekeeping of Weinstein types.

#710 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 December 2018 - 06:59 PM

Click this one if you want to cringe and wince at the same time: https://www.hollywoo...assault-1171597

This post has been edited by wreathy: 24 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

#711 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

That's bizarre I'd assume his attorney would had strongly advised him against pulling such a stunt just before going on trial.

#712 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

"Dear boy, mah attornah is a lowball of the fahnest Kentucky bourbon."

#713 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:26 PM

The actual video of Spacey's monologue

https://youtu.be/JZveA-NAIDI

It's captivating. If nothing else it sounds like he wants his trial to be a circus.

#714 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:58 AM

This waste of space sex predator is gonna make more money than ever reciting the dumbest people on earth's hell-opinions back to them.

#715 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:26 AM

Didn't he "just" awkwardly ask some women if he could masturbate in front of them? He's definitely a weird pervert but calling him a sexual predator is a little much.

#716 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:45 AM

I believe 'sexual predator' is the exact right term for someone in a position of power regularly preying on coworkers with much less power to sexually gratify him. In some cases he asked, whatever that's worth (read: nothing), in some cases he surprised or forced them, in all these cases it was coercive, abusive, and predatory.

#717 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

He never forced anyone to do anything. Which doesn't really fit with my image of a sexual predator, which is normally associated with rapists and pedophiles.

#718 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

View Postworry, on 31 December 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

I believe 'sexual predator' is the exact right term for someone in a position of power regularly preying on coworkers with much less power to sexually gratify him. In some cases he asked, whatever that's worth (read: nothing), in some cases he surprised or forced them, in all these cases it was coercive, abusive, and predatory.

I'd actually have disagreed with you about what his asking some of them first meant. I mean, if he actually did ask and then respected their answer? I mean, it's weird, but okay.

But, the moment he starts surprising the women, and forcing them is the very moment his asking some other women becomes a worthless defense. I mean, you jump out in front of a woman, whip your dick out and start masturbating and think you're going to get away with it because you're famous? Fuck off!

#719 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:58 PM

View Postworry, on 31 December 2018 - 02:58 AM, said:

This waste of space sex predator is gonna make more money than ever reciting the dumbest people on earth's hell-opinions back to them.

Aside from all the sex stuff, this is just not funny. It's just out-of-touch, crotchety, malicious humor.

His humor used to be good.

#720 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 31 December 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

He never forced anyone to do anything. Which doesn't really fit with my image of a sexual predator, which is normally associated with rapists and pedophiles.

You've obviously never watched nature documentaries. Making a gazelle feel grossed out and socially uncomfortable is a key tactic of the Lion as it seeks it prey.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

• 62 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users