Malazan Empire: Saudi Arabia and the Middle East - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saudi Arabia and the Middle East is anyone else watching this?

#41 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:07 PM

Any bad thing Trump says about another person, is a reflection of his own character.

By this logic I think it's safe to assume that
Trump probably doesn't have an American birth certificate and his father killed JFK.

#42 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

Anyone following what is happening in Beirut? I caught a quick vid of that explosion. Crazy shit.

#43 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:34 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 August 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

Anyone following what is happening in Beirut? I caught a quick vid of that explosion. Crazy shit.

Reports that it was caused by a fire at a warehouse storing fireworks. shew, that's a relief. Based on that mushroom cloud, thought it was something really fucked up.

#44 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 August 2020 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 August 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

Reports that it was caused by a fire at a warehouse storing fireworks. shew, that's a relief. Based on that mushroom cloud, thought it was something really fucked up.

Current reports are that it was a store of 2,750 tonnes of confiscated ammonium nitrate (which makes more sense than fireworks though there might have been a container of fireworks nearby that started it off initially still, which seems to explain the earlier explosion).

Anyway that is some apalling negligence.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#45 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:38 AM

That explosion, and damn there are a lot of different videos of it, was fookin' massive. Like, if you were within a square mile of that, you were probably turned into powered viscera, no?

#46 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:46 AM

I've a friend living in Beirut - he's fine but said 'this is like Syria all over again' (context: he's Syrian originally).

His take is that it ties into a trial of a former president / politician and that it's likely to have been both deliberate and politically motivated. Obviously no way for me to verify that but it sounds like things are about to get bad over there.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#47 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:26 AM

Could have been Cartheron Crust trying to steal the Imperial munitions depot again.

#48 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:09 AM

Just saw videos from a few different viewpoints. Whoa. Absolutely incredible devastation.

Apparently 1000 times as much ammonium nitrate as was used in the Oklahoma City bombing. :shock:

The only good thing that can be said for it is that at least it was at the port, and not the centre of the city.

I hope their emergency services are coping and they can save as many people as possible.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#49 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:40 AM

Okay, I hadn't seen any footage since yesterday.

This is much bigger than I thought. It looks like Hiroshima. God damn.

Reminds me of that Chinese chemical plant explosion a few years ago.

#50 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:02 PM

Apparently the company storing the ammonium nitrate had already had several warnings and had been under review since 2014. so this sounds like a case of gross negligence both by this company and whomever runs Lebanon's national H&S audits. Absolutely shocking that they didn't intervene sooner if it has been on the radar for the past 6 years; they were literally sitting on a huge bomb all this time and did nothing.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#51 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

View PostGorefest, on 05 August 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

Apparently the company storing the ammonium nitrate had already had several warnings and had been under review since 2014. so this sounds like a case of gross negligence both by this company and whomever runs Lebanon's national H&S audits. Absolutely shocking that they didn't intervene sooner if it has been on the radar for the past 6 years; they were literally sitting on a huge bomb all this time and did nothing.

i recall reading that fukushima was flagged as having issues years before the tsunami...

Unfortunately these incidents have a tendence of happening (see Bhopal) and those responsible for the decision aren't the ones on the receiving end.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 05 August 2020 - 02:02 PM

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

Here's a photo of how the Ammonium Nitrate was being stored before the explosion...quite frankly, I'm surprised it took that long to go...talk about amateur hour. This is gross negligence.

Attached File  AmNit.jpg (67.33K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#53 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:59 PM

Thing is, according to news coverage, that material had been stored there for years. Not to feed into conspiracy theories, but doesn't it degrade over time? The footage of that explosion (w/ mushroom cloud and shock wave) looked like something with full explosive efficacy.

#54 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:48 PM

There's now concerns for Lebanon's food supply. Things were apparently already bad with shortages and price rises, but apparently 90% of all their grain comes from abroad, and 80% of that came through the terminal that just exploded. They have around six week's worth of reserves so now there's going to be a scramble probably to reroute through Tripoli.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#55 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 August 2020 - 04:59 PM, said:

Thing is, according to news coverage, that material had been stored there for years. Not to feed into conspiracy theories, but doesn't it degrade over time? The footage of that explosion (w/ mushroom cloud and shock wave) looked like something with full explosive efficacy.

Nah, when stored appropriately it can be stable for years. Just avoid it from getting moist.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 05 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#56 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:31 PM

As the hours and days pass, more video has been released. For some perspective, the Oklahoma City bombing in the 1990s used 2 tons of ammonium nitrate, and that peeled off the front face of a building. This was in the thousands of tons ammonium nitrate.

#57 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:29 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 August 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

As the hours and days pass, more video has been released. For some perspective, the Oklahoma City bombing in the 1990s used 2 tons of ammonium nitrate, and that peeled off the front face of a building. This was in the thousands of tons ammonium nitrate.

the videos reminded me of reconstructions of the halifax bombing.

#58 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:11 PM

Holy shit! The news is reporting the explosions left 300,000 homeless. Fuckin' hell!

#59 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:09 PM

Still negligence. A lot of somebodies fucked up. If your parked on a the equivalent of a small nuclear warhead and you warn your superiors and they ignore you, you escalate, you call the news. You throw a handful into the sea a day. A lot of people had to wash their hands over the years for this to happen.

#60 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:26 AM

View PostCause, on 06 August 2020 - 10:09 PM, said:

Still negligence. A lot of somebodies fucked up. If your parked on a the equivalent of a small nuclear warhead and you warn your superiors and they ignore you, you escalate, you call the news. You throw a handful into the sea a day. A lot of people had to wash their hands over the years for this to happen.

Yes a lot of somebodies messed up, and theyll start blaming each other and claiming they had no choice, or they just find a scapegoat.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users