Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

Deleted

This post has been edited by .-‘: 06 October 2021 - 03:02 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:32 AM

I'm tentatively excited. I'm always interested in games that involve shooting things and open world antics. But I think Bioware's track record the past 5 years or more is very shaky. They make good products but they don't make classics any longer.

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

I'm excited for it, but after what Destiny turned into compared to the early footage and plan, I am being VERY cautious about my optimism. If they can deliver on the promise of that vertical slice we saw (which hopefully means mechanics are 100% sorted and everything between now and release is content, content, and more content) then it will be great.

View PostSeduce Goose, on 26 July 2017 - 04:32 AM, said:

I'm tentatively excited. I'm always interested in games that involve shooting things and open world antics. But I think Bioware's track record the past 5 years or more is very shaky. They make good products but they don't make classics any longer.

I kinda feel like Anthem may be a concession to that. I seriously doubt Anthem will be a masterpiece per se - rather, by admitting that they no longer blow things out of the water all the time, they're going a bit more mainstream with a semi-MMO OTS game that will hopefully be extremely solid and give people a playground to do awesome stuff in, but won't necessarily be the sort of game that requires the old Bioware magic to be good. I mean, I could be wrong, and they might be reaching for the stars here, but I think it's more of a "deliver something great, but in a different way than we used to" kind of deal.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

Not hype at all. I imagine that it'll be rushed out, not supported, left generally unfinished and then die a death whilst the multiplayer mode remains open cos microtransactions.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#5 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 November 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Not hype at all. I imagine that it'll be rushed out, not supported, left generally unfinished and then die a death whilst the multiplayer mode remains open cos microtransactions.

You depress me!

Bioware Is pretty good though. Andromeda not withstanding! That said game publishers are certainly working hard to ruin gaming. Ill keep my fingers crossed. Has massive potential.

#6 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostCause, on 01 November 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

You depress me!

Bioware Is pretty good though. Andromeda not withstanding! That said game publishers are certainly working hard to ruin gaming. Ill keep my fingers crossed. Has massive potential.

My concerns are pretty much based on their treatment of Andromeda. It's not a bad game, and they did inject some content into it by way of patches, fixes and the like, but then they just abandoned it. My worry is that Anthem will be no different.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but must reserve my prognosis for it being good. My reservations are detailed below.

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:21 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 November 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

You depress me!

My concerns are pretty much based on their treatment of Andromeda. It's not a bad game, and they did inject some content into it by way of patches, fixes and the like, but then they just abandoned it. My worry is that Anthem will be no different.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but must reserve my prognosis for it being good. My reservations are detailed below.

The narrative seems to be that they abandoned andromeda to work on Anthem. The team that made the multiplayer for mass effect 3 was told to make the whole of ME andromeda and they just couldnt. So hopefully Anthem while not excusing what happened to andromeda wont go the same way.

#8 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostCause, on 01 November 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 November 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

You depress me!

The fact that they'd do that to one of their biggest and most beloved IPs is a huge point of concern for me, especially as they did so to focus on an entirely new IP. If it's just a coop futuristic shooter I doubt I'll bother anyway, Destiny never interested me and from what I've seen so far this seems like a knock-off of that (haven't watched that video).
The narrative seems to be that they abandoned andromeda to work on Anthem. The team that made the multiplayer for mass effect 3 was told to make the whole of ME andromeda and they just couldnt. So hopefully Anthem while not excusing what happened to andromeda wont go the same way.

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Your not wrong. The whole thing also seems to be another case of the parent publisher dictating dollars to a gaming subsidiary company. It forced them to make the wrong move. Let me be clear I don't excuse it, I consider Andromeda to be garbage and a blight on the legacy that is mass effect. They should purge it from the timeline and reboot.

Anthem is something I am also hesitant about. Bioware still has a pedigree and the graphics were amazing but the MMORPG lite that is destiny in my mind are often fraught with problems. Also don't have enough info on mechanics to know what to expect. I'm cautiously optimistic.

#10 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostBriar King, on 08 December 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

This starting to not sound good. Apparently a bunch of top people have been leaving over the past 2 months. Sigh

It's starting to sound like pre Destiny Destiny all over again. We may have another cropped game here.

EA own Bioware so you just know it's going to degenerate into a lootbox farce. I've had a chat with an ex-Bioware employee who happens to play the same fighting game as me and they had less than stellar things to say about the company's overlords.

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

Yeah, it's not looking good. When will publishers learn that this bullshit is their own fault? Like, I read an headline that suggested Anthem may be in jeopardy because of the Battlefront 2 lootbox controversy. And I'm just sitting going...how? How is that a problem for Anthem? Just don't put fucking microtransactions in the game and you won't have a problem. Oh wait. EA feels like they need to make even more astronomical amounts of money and can't seem to get their head around the reasons why people might not like having to fork over more money for a game they already own, let alone to be competitive in said game.
The sooner the publishers either have an epiphany that they are their own worst enemy, or otherwise start getting solidly replaced by other production models (I'm looking at you, Senua's Sacrifice), the better. Unfortunately it sounds like it may be too late to save Anthem though.

Still cautiously optimistic however. I want the game to be good, dammit.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#12 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

Rumors now going around that the game will be delayed till spring 2019.

Possibly b/c they need to get change game design due to the lootbox backlash (which is probably a good thing, unless they start inventing some new type of microtransactions)
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#13 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

Bioware is wholly owned by EA. And as long as EA publish yearly iteratIons of multiple sports games, they are unsinkable.

Of course, if the 4th Dragon Age game tanks, they might just gut Bioware...

#14 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 January 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

Yeah and one of the biggest clues for that which made yesterday's news unsurprising is cause we have had the same damn gameplay vid still. They would have shown us more to set the hook if it was happening on time. I'm good with pushing it back a bit more if they are fixing for the better. Kinda wonder if the D2 hate the last 2 months has anything to do with it though..I can see the suits panicking over similar features that are getting bashed at present and they need a stellar title after ME:A.

Even ArcSys (the developers of Blazblue and DBFZ) had a massive DLC backlash when it was revealed that their new American office's flagship title (Cross Tag Battle) was only going to have half a roster on launch with the rest as DLC. Hopefully they'll reconsider.

#15 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

EA's official position is that it's not a delay per se: they just don't want to release it in Nov, b/c then it'll be competing with other EA releases (presumably another Battlefield)

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

I will never be angry with a company for delaying a game (for development reasons). Even if it's just strategic manoeuvring, you just know somebody in QA is shouting Huzzah! down in EA's dungeons.

#17 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 31 January 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

I will never be angry with a company for delaying a game (for development reasons). Even if it's just strategic manoeuvring, you just know somebody in QA is shouting Huzzah! down in EA's dungeons.

that only works if the publisher allows QA, instead of just sitting on the game

*cough* Sega *cough* Alpha Protocol *cough*

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Poor Alpha Protocol. Such a cool premsie. Such a broken game.

Wouldn't mind a second try at developing that game into a franchise, though maybe the market isn't there any longer?

#19 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 31 January 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Poor Alpha Protocol. Such a cool premsie. Such a broken game.

Wouldn't mind a second try at developing that game into a franchise, though maybe the market isn't there any longer?

Obsidian wants to. Sega owns the IP and does not appear interested.

Apparently, when they were initially negotiating the contract, Obsidian was supposed to keep the IP.

Then Disney cancelled a game Obsidian was supposed to make for them (don't recall what that was), so Obsidian was desperate for work, and so they allowed Sega to get the IP rights in exchange for getting the contract signed ASAP.

I think I'm actually going to replay AP once I'm done with Mankind Divided. Having had a tease of complex conspiracies, I'm really tempted to go back to a game that's mired in them, where almost everyone ends up somehow related to everyone else.

#20 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 31 January 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

I don't know man, Tiberian Sun, you know?

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users