Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Memory Too much Media?

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

I find it interesting that I can often remember story details of books, movies or TV shows from my childhood flawlessly, yet more recent stories are harder to keep clean.A TV show from a year ago? A book? I could summarize the major plot points sure. But some of the side detail? Even important side detail can get lost. Read the sequel to a book and I might take a while to remember a side characters name or why they were important. I dont think its that my memory is failing, I think maybe it has to do with how easy it now to consume content. Binge an entire series in a weekend, finish a book and start the next. Their is less time to digest everything, less time to reflect.

Just curious if anyone else feels the same.

most recent case I had was while watching Iron Fist, and then deciding to watch the Defenders trailers I realized I could barely remember the plot beats of Daredevil season 2
Spoilers!
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 24 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

#2 User is offline   Kasig 

• Recruit

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

View PostCause, on 24 June 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

Just curious if anyone else feels the same.

Sometimes, sure. I think it has to do with the fact that I pay less attention now to some things than I did when younger. Also, memory is focused greatly by surprise, you're not gonna remember every kind of plot twist that you've encountered 20 times already, but you most definitely will recollect the first time you read/watched/experienced that kind of thing. That in addition to jumping from one thing to the next in a crazy rhythm and the (possibly/probably) less than great quality of some of the links in this endless chain compounded by the fact that you're most likely quite a bit more busy and stressed now results in a harder time remembering details.

#3 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

More filling, less nourishing.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

Can't comment much on TV, since I stopped watching TV about 9 years ago now.

But I can definitely attest that I totally gave up on remembering phone numbers with the advent of cell phones with contact books. At any given time, I know my own number, my home number, my work number, and (at a stretch) I might be able to recall my parent's cell phones. Any other numbers I don't use on a daily basis I won't even try to pretend to know. And back in the days of rotary phones, I knew dozens of numbers by heart.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 28 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#5 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostMentalist, on 28 June 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

Can't comment much on TV, since I stopped watching TV about 9 years ago now.

But I can definitely attest that I totally gave up on remembering phone numbers with the advent of cell phones with contact books. At any given time, I know my own number, my home number, my work number, and (at a stretch) I might be able to recall my parent's cell phones. Any other numbers I don't use on a daily basis I won't even try to pretend to know. And back in the days of rotary phones, I knew dozens of numbers by heart.

Yes technology has shifted our priorities of waht we have to remember!

I also read a study that says people driving with a gps in the car actually don't have that part of the brain responsible for navigating and remembering trigger.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users