Malazan Empire: Knightfall - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Knightfall

#21 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:17 PM

I dozed off during the last 5-10 minutes. I was really tired, though.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#22 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:17 PM

I was sort of taken aback by the Jewish joke (the one about the size of Jews' noses and air). I mean, I get that they are trying to put across how hostile the climate is, but damn, I didn't think they would take it there.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:31 AM

In a show about a period of time where white Christians thought it was okay to claim and conquest an entire landmass where other native cultures had long thrived because they claimed their god told them to (when it was really to stop bored and unnocupied French knights from raping and pillaging the French countryside)..I'm thinking the off colour/ racist jokes are par for the course for the era.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 December 2017 - 01:32 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:02 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 December 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

In a show about a period of time where white Christians thought it was okay to claim and conquest an entire landmass where other native cultures had long thrived because they claimed their god told them to (when it was really to stop bored and unnocupied French knights from raping and pillaging the French countryside)..I'm thinking the off colour/ racist jokes are par for the course for the era.

Wait is it set in the South of the USA, circa 2017?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 December 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

No way this makes it to S2 right?

Just got the season 2 order from the studio today in fact.

We've not watched yet as wife has not been in the mood for it, will chime back in with thoughts then.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

Watched the latest episode, ugh, they trudged up the old "I have 2 wolves in me" moral story.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#27 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

Got around to watching the second episode. I believe it's currently at episode seven, so yeah, you can tell how enthusiastic I am to watch this.

Anyway. Gawain's story so far:

#28 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

And I'm done. It's just not good enough.

#29 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:11 AM

Watched episode 3 (I think I'm three episodes behind). Anyway, when Landry and the other Templar Knight went to find the Grail at that farmhouse/estate and came upon those Saracen assassin's, woof, boy was that executed poorly and awkward.

I dunno. I think this show could work if it changed its name to "Days of our Knights" <<<<< see what I did there Posted ImagePosted Image
And aired sometime after 12pm and before 4pm in the afternoon.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 12 January 2018 - 03:12 AM

#30 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

Wow. This got renewed and Puke Crybalker from Fart Warts is joining the cast.

'Knightfall' Renewed at History, Mark Hamill Joins Cast

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:17 PM

So I tried this show again (after falling down on the 1st ep)....and now I'm 4 eps deep into S1 and I'm REALLY enjoying it a lot! I think I had to be in the right mood for it...but now I'm in for the season. And exited the reason I wanted to give it another try (aside from my Templar love) is that Mark Hamill is in S2!

Also, how did I not notice the Arthurian notations...the Grail is the easiest thing, but then there is a Gawain and a Percival? Consider me excited that this MIGHT lead to end on the formation of the Arthurian knights.

#32 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 March 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

So I tried this show again (after falling down on the 1st ep)....and now I'm 4 eps deep into S1 and I'm REALLY enjoying it a lot! I think I had to be in the right mood for it...but now I'm in for the season. And exited the reason I wanted to give it another try (aside from my Templar love) is that Mark Hamill is in S2!

Also, how did I not notice the Arthurian notations...the Grail is the easiest thing, but then there is a Gawain and a Percival? Consider me excited that this MIGHT lead to end on the formation of the Arthurian knights.

Why would the Templar knights form the Arthurian knights?

#33 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

oh gawd, because Mark Hamill's shitty overacting will make the show better?

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

I don't know who he's playing, but Hamill added to ANYTHING is always cause for celebration. Amazing actor, and amazing guy.

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostCause, on 15 March 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Because some Templars escaped to Britain? And the Arthurian legend is all over the place timeline/era-wise...so why not?

At any rate, it's not going to happen. The back half of the season put the kibosh on it.

-------------------------------------

BK, I just finished S1 and I recommend you try the back 5 episodes, as they were absolutely fantastic. Some real crowd cheer moments, and some weird "What's going on?!" mystery stuff too. I'm glad I finished just ahead of S2 premier! Easily up there with VIKINGS for my eyeball time.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 March 2019 - 12:45 PM

#36 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 March 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

Because some Templars escaped to Britain? And the Arthurian legend is all over the place timeline/era-wise...so why not?

At any rate, it's not going to happen. The back half of the season put the kibosh on it.

BK, I just finished S1 and I recommend you try the back 5 episodes, as they were absolutely fantastic. Some real crowd cheer moments, and some weird "What's going on?!" mystery stuff too. I'm glad I finished just ahead of S2 premier! Easily up there with VIKINGS for my eyeball time.

That's interesting, I may pick this back up, I dropped this before ep 6 came out too.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

View Postchamp, on 21 March 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 March 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

That's interesting, I may pick this back up, I dropped this before ep 6 came out too.

The first 4-5 eps of S1 were front loaded to get all the various plot lines moving and it's a tad clunky and slow as a result. The really interesting stuff doesn't happen till the back 5, but once it properly got going I was well in.

And since it's on Netflix, it's not like it's any skin of your nose but time to check it out and see if you like it.

S2 looks bananas! They got a new show runner (Aaron Helbing; known for Starz SPARTACUS, and BLACK SAILS) replacing Dominic Minghella, AND they got a budget jump due to dropping from 10 eps to 8. And from the trailer it looks like everyone got a bit of a costuming/character boost as well.

Anyways. Excited.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

#38 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

History moved Knightfall season 2 to Mondays, which may mean they don't have a lot of faith in it? They did air Project Blue Book on Mondays, so maybe they are trying to win Monday nights? So not sure, we'll see. I mean, I'll probably give season 2 a try (Puke Crybalker from Fart Warts shitty overacting and swinging glowing dildos around safe programming for little booger eating crybabies aside) and see if it has improved.

Project Blue Book has been pretty good, btw. A few stinkers, but overall, not bad (also Littlefinger). The description as Mad Men meets The X-Files is apropros Posted Image.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 21 March 2019 - 06:13 PM

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

Well, what a difference a day makes.

Episode 1 of Season 2 aired last night. Aside from the obvious bonuses on display...like Mark Hamill being excellent as he usually is...As Talus (Veteran of the Crusades who trains initiates at the Chartres Temple) he's basically playing it as a slightly British-accented and less manic version of his Joker voice...and it VERY much works.

But the tonal values are wholly different this season. None of the shots of castles, including Phillip's palace (which was always lit too brightly for my taste in S1) or outdoors are a milquetoast as they were in S1...everything has a more Vikings/GoT tilt to it from an cinematographic angle, and it's most noticeable in the scenes with Phillip.

Speaking of. Both Phillip & De Nogaret got upgraded looks, with Phillip no longer looking like the foppish, baby-faced tetley teabag haircut king...he now has short hair and a full beard...and De Nogaret has his hair grown out as well so he looks less like some banal priest.

They also recast Isabella, which works for me as I was never a big fan of the actress who played her in S1 (Sabrina Bartlett; who I found too innocent and too young to represent the woman who will one day be called the 'She-Wolf of France'), and the actress they've replaced her with is Genevieve Gaunt ("Willow" from The Royals) and she's got pedigree for exactly the things this role calls for and she did not fail to impress me in Ep1.

And also present...finally...is Louis. It's funny that one of the things that was absent with absolutely no explanation was Prince Louis, Joan and Phillip's Firstborn....well it turns out that he was in the south pacifying it for his father but has returned. Anyways, his addition is welcome as history knew him as supremely unpredictable...and the show version seems to feed that notion.

Anyways, as much as I liked S1 by the end of it, S2 has started off with a bang, and I'm loving it!

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 March 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

Managed 15 minutes 35 seconds of Ep 6.

No.

Recorded S2 so will likely start there if at all

I can spoiler the end of S1 for you if you want a catchup. See below.

ONLY if you want to be spoiled for events of how S1 wraps up.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users