Malazan Empire: Malazan Comic-Book of the Fallen - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Comic-Book of the Fallen a place to assemble a possible short comic project.

#1 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

Spinning out of a discussion in the ARTWORK thread Let's discuss a possible collaborative comics project. Assembled by our collection of volunteer artists, the goal would be to realize a scene from the book series in comics form. It's probably best if we shoot for a fairly short comic, eight to twelve page. There are plenty of interpretations of beloved characters that can easily act as models for appearances. Tasks could include page break-downs (i.e. story-boards), illustration or pencils, digital colors or painting, lettering & writing/editing (extracting relevant dialogue and narration). As this would be a fan art project I don't think there will be any issues regarding licensing or permissions so long as we don't seek to make $$ from the endeavor, and of course we would credit the author as writer/copyright holder. Anyone with a deeper understanding, please correct that assumption.

Issues to Consider -
  • A scene that is not too spoilerish. People new to the book series might want to read the comic despite the scene possibly being from a future book. What ever scene is chosen, should perhaps be viewed as a sort of movie trailer.
  • Variety of characters. While a scene of two characters sitting in their tent drinking, could be awesome it may limit the options for participating artists - more on that below.*
  • A singular setting, while comics are great for those "meanwhile in another warren" type of transitions, the relative brevity of the comic should keep the scene fairly localized. Though there's nothing that says a scene can't start upclose and personal and expand out to encompass a whole terrain; a battlefield, city walls, the open sea et. al.
  • Choice of iconic characters. It could be great fun to really delve into some obscure scenes and characters but in thinking about the movie trailer aspect, star power might be a factor. That said, 8 pages of a certain two headed insect walking around in a circle could be hilarious, but might be better served as a project for one artist than for a whole team.

The Process -

As there is already interest we'll collectively need to determine which scene would be most appealing to realize. Corporal Nobbs suggested exploring a scene mentioned off-screen, such as the Bridgeburners in Genabackis before Pale. This could be a potentially great way to go, along those lines it might still be worth finding the exact passages and making use of relevant dialog. Dolmen 2.0 also suggested several scenes that could be great fun, some may be more spoiler-filled than others, but are certainly worth discussing.**

Once a scene has been chosen, a loose script can be extracted from the relevant text and broken-down into 8-10 pages. this might best be accomplished by a single participant who can focus on pacing, clarity of story and dramatic impact. Or perhaps two break-down artists pitching the scene back and fourth to develop a final set of breakdowns. I've worked on other comic jam projects where individual artists are simply assigned a page in the queue; while the results can be exciting they can also be visually jarring and/or uneven. Ideally our collaboration will sport-light our various strengths, provide opportunities for technical growth and result in a finished piece that appears set in the world as glimpsed by the artistic contributions on the site already.

Generating artwork can be handled an a number of ways.
Two examples
  • Individuals or Teams (penciler, inker, colorist or person who draw person or digitally paints) can be assigned pages to complete on their own (a modified Jam model)
  • *Artists or Teams can select, or be assigned an individual character that they are responsible for depicting throughout the scene. Whomever chooses Silverfox or Tool is responsible for depicting them in whatever panel they appear in throughout the comic. Along those line there may also be need for an artist in charge of scenery or props. Another valuable contribution would be the artist who provides final "lighting" - digitally coloring or retouching a scene/setting so that the characters all appear to be in the same location e.g. drinking ale in a tent by candle light.

Finally lettering (and possible sound FX) would overlay the finished artwork.

None of this is set in stone, and certainly some aspects have yet to be considered, but I suggest we beging with the scene selection process and return to individual tasks further along the way.

Scene Selection -

Everyone has a favorite scene. How about we devote the first page of this thread to nominations. From there we might narrow the selection down the nominations to a number that could fit in a poll somewhere on page 2. Let's stick with no more than 5 nominations per reply, with the option for people to repeat a previous nomination for emphasis. I will list Dolmen 2.0's nominations here as he took that initiative, then follow with my own -

• Shadow vs. Icarium
  • Chain of dogs coming to an end
  • A certain fight and arrival into Dragnipur
  • The final battle in Memories of Ice
  • The Cursing of Kalor

#2 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

My Nominations -
  • Seige of Kapustan
  • Kruppe's encounter with the Caladan Brood - Shadow Hound Hunts for Harilock and is stopped by Capt. Parren (editied)
  • The burning of Igatan - Anomandor vs. Shadow Throne + Hounds & Parren (editied)
  • Anomandor arrives to discuss the fate of Silverfox ending with the reveal of the Master of the Deck
  • The Bridgeburners arrive at Korel
Changeed #2 & #3 to spotlight events earlier in the series.

This post has been edited by PLUGO: 13 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

#3 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Plugo for putting this together.

I formally put forward Abyss to act as Narative director because THIS

Jokes aside I think that's a very clear breakdown, Nicely done :p.

Also Abyss kidding/not kidding. get in on this for the LULZ

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

Sounds like a amazing project guys :p

I would offer my help, but I don't think that I have any artistic skills :p

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

Artistic skills are like riding a bike. If you don't have it, it is very difficult offering a ride on the handlebar.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

- Coltaine -, on 13 January 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

Sounds like a amazing project guys :p

Actually we'd need someone that work as closely with the texts as the wikipedia team. We need to draw from the books, details, descriptions, people and locations etc. my experiance is the non-artists grab on to these things objectively whilst us artists kinda fudge the memory and tend to sometimes depict what we imagine and not whats actually happening. On a project like this I'd say book wisdom would help.

If you're willing we'd happily have you on the team. Especially at storyboarding at script stages.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#7 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

Sounds like a amazing project guys :D

You could offer your help with finding relevant discriptions of stuff :p

Also, I nominate Dolmen for something to do with colouring an lighting, I think he rocks at that.

Also also, I'd like to join but I fear my style is way too different. I may, however, have an idea, but I need to jump AT in a dark danky internet street first.

Edit: ninja'd.

This post has been edited by Puck: 13 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#8 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

Okay, count me for research and other not-drawing stuff Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

Needs thought bubbles.

Hundreds and hundreds of thought bubbles!!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

Puck, on 13 January 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Sounds like a amazing project guys :D

You could offer your help with finding relevant discriptions of stuff :p

Also, I nominate Dolmen for something to do with colouring an lighting, I think he rocks at that.

Also also, I'd like to join but I fear my style is way too different. I may, however, have an idea, but I need to jump AT in a dark danky internet street first.

Edit: ninja'd.

How exciting. I agree that it would be a great help to have someones focusing on finding relevant passages and descriptions. Particularly if we bring our focus on some background incidents that are mentioned in passing or in flashback. I have a vague recollection of Fiddler (or Strings) having a sort of waking dream where an as yet unmentioned Bridgeburner reminds him of the circumstances of his death in Black Dog Forrest.That could an example of a useful passage that could be of great help were we to render a scene from that campaign.

In terms of nominating artists for tasks in recognition of their strengths - excellent. It may be that we'll end up nominating artists to depicts specific characters "so-and-so does a great Quick Ben or such-and-such's style would be great for depicting Shadow Hounds" or whatever. Along those lines there would a neat trick in including someone with a potentially divergent style in a fashion where that divergence enhances the story. Added to that, having Dolman (if it's of interest) come in and unify a scene with excellent lighting and colorization could minimize any dissidence.

Anyway, upon further though I find myself wanting to revise my 5 nominations . . .

Save

#11 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Ok so how do we finalize this list of scenes? Maybe we take all suggestions already mentioned by monday and run a poll on which scene the forum most wants to attempt?

#12 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

- Coltaine -, on 13 January 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

I could probably help with this stuff too.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#13 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

Dolmen 2.0, on 14 January 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Ok so how do we finalize this list of scenes? Maybe we take all suggestions already mentioned by monday and run a poll on which scene the forum most wants to attempt?

So far I'm seeing 10 possibles scenes. Monday sounds as good a day as any to start polling these nominations. I'm kind of surprised and relieved there aren't more nominations.

#14 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

MTS, on 14 January 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

- Coltaine -, on 13 January 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

I could probably help with this stuff too.

Great, glad to have you. :p

@ Plugo, i did too. But reading back I think visually we have some of the best "movie trailer" material.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 15 January 2017 - 05:45 AM

#15 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:10 AM

The bridge burners in Blackdog or Mott wood would surely be ideal

#16 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

Macros, on 15 January 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

The bridge burners in Blackdog or Mott wood would surely be ideal

Agreed, this seems to be a popular option, this and the Anomander Rake, shadow, Paran situation.

#17 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

I find myself thinking a lot about that scene in Memories of Ice, where Calor is threatening a young Silver Fox only to be interrupted by Anomandor's arrival. Whisky Jack stands up to them both but that face-off is then brought to a halt by a certain table sized card from the Deck of Dragons. There's such a variety of awesome characters in one place, excellent character driven dialogue, great tension, and a sort of cliff hanger styled non-resolution.

I guess I'm having a hard time remembering anything specific about events in Blackdog or Mottwood; Stand out characters or incidents.

#18 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:53 AM

PLUGO, on 17 January 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

I find myself thinking a lot about that scene in Memories of Ice, where Calor is threatening a young Silver Fox only to be interrupted by Anomandor's arrival. Whisky Jack stands up to them both but that face-off is then brought to a halt by a certain table sized card from the Deck of Dragons. There's such a variety of awesome characters in one place, excellent character driven dialogue, great tension, and a sort of cliff hanger styled non-resolution.

I guess I'm having a hard time remembering anything specific about events in Blackdog or Mottwood; Stand out characters or incidents.

Can we quote that scene? I would probably only get to my books after work but that sounds like a good mix. Nothing spoilerish which is a positive.

I was Talking to my friendly neighbourhood comicbook artist yesterday, we live a few flats apart. he suggested a scene that had equal parts action, humor and mystery would be ideal. something that ramps up story wise but also provides good lighting, ideally dawn or dusk and good motion/emotion for the art team. He also suggested a scene with good dialogue and little or no introspection. As he put it, "Internal dialogue should show on the face of the character, that's more than enough"

So yeah I think Kallor threatening Silverfox does that. It also has Anomander name dropping Dassem and the Seguleh first if I recall correctly? Yeah looks like we need that Poll, tons of good suggestions here.

#19 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

The quote
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Itwæs Nom: 18 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#20 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:33 PM