• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dune Remake

#161 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

Just finished watching the trailer, and I like it a lot more than the first one. Now I'm warming up to the movie.

Still not a fan of the washed out colour palette, and I still think the movie looks like a perfume commercial, not that there's anything wrong with that.

#162 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:58 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 22 July 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Still not a fan of the washed out colour palette, and I still think the movie looks like a perfume commercial, not that there's anything wrong with that.

You and I have very different definitions of "washed out" when it comes to colours.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#163 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 July 2021 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 22 July 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

You and I have very different definitions of "washed out" when it comes to colours.

I think the colour saturation needs to be cranked up at least 25%.

#164 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:49 PM

Posted Image

#165 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

Johnny Depp IS Timothee Chalamet IS Paul Atreides IS ... Moist ... and as we all know

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#166 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 July 2021 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 22 July 2021 - 02:25 PM, said:

Christ it looks great.

Also, the worm in the trailer? A baby apparently.

There was a sneak peek of the first ten minutes of the film and and then a BTS selection of footage in LA yesterday and the people there said that the worm that destroys the Spice Harvester in the film absolutely DWARFS the one you see in then trailer.

Shai-Hulud is gonna be MONSTROUS.

I mean quite right. A spice harvester itself is meant to be like 100+ meters long. It'd have been disappointing if the one in the trailer was the standard size for them in the film.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#167 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:06 AM

Once the movie is released on home media I will work on my own private fan edit which will do a few adjustments to colour saturation.

#168 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:09 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 23 July 2021 - 12:06 AM, said:

Once the movie is released on home media I will work on my own private fan edit which will do a few adjustments to colour saturation.

Please don’t try to gainsay an award winning Cinematographer.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#169 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:19 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2021 - 01:09 AM, said:

What's wrong with wanting to make adjustments to your liking?

There's tons of fan edits of movies out there. Topher Grace has been known to make fan edits of movies for his own personal enjoyment.

#170 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:02 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 23 July 2021 - 02:19 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2021 - 01:09 AM, said:

What's wrong with wanting to make adjustments to your liking?

There's tons of fan edits of movies out there. Topher Grace has been known to make fan edits of movies for his own personal enjoyment.

Nothing is wrong with it! Go for it — variety is the Spice of life. Many fanedits end up being far better than the originals (looking at you, Hobbit and Star Wars prequels)

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 23 July 2021 - 04:02 AM

#171 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 August 2021 - 01:13 PM

Soundtrack sample #1:

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#172 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:55 PM

Is this going to be released to those Dolby Atmos, bleeding edge technology theaters? I have a few of those in my state, but it will be a bit of a drive. Definitely worth it though and something I will plan on.

#173 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:41 PM

A recent interview reveals gender-swapping Doctor Kynes was screenwriter Jon Spaiths's idea, his reasoning being he wanted to update the story for modern audiences. Modernising a story set tens of thousands of years into the future, right.

Obviously Spaith hasn't been paying attention to the Dune books, as they are full of strong female representation, with characters such as Harah, Chani, Lady Jessica, and female organizations such as the Bene Gesserit, and later on the Fish Speakers and the Honoured Matres. Additionally patriarchal societies such as the Tleilaxu are unequivocally portrayed in a negative light.

I am also troubled by Rebecca Ferguson's recent statements accusing Dune of being a sexist book.

#174 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:57 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 02 September 2021 - 05:41 PM, said:

A recent interview reveals gender-swapping Doctor Kynes was screenwriter Jon Spaiths's idea, his reasoning being he wanted to update the story for modern audiences. Modernising a story set tens of thousands of years into the future, right.

Obviously Spaith hasn't been paying attention to the Dune books, as they are full of strong female representation, with characters such as Harah, Chani, Lady Jessica, and female organizations such as the Bene Gesserit, and later on the Fish Speakers and the Honoured Matres. Additionally patriarchal societies such as the Tleilaxu are unequivocally portrayed in a negative light.

I am also troubled by Rebecca Ferguson's recent statements accusing Dune of being a sexist book.

Is there a particular reason you need Kynes to be a dude?

Also, there's no quota on how many men and how many women should be in every story/movie. Let it go.

And to be frank, DUNE is a little sexist. Women are written schemers who plot the path of the entirety of civilization through breeding...I'm not sure how you look at that as NOT sexist on the face of it. Jessica, Mother Gaius, and Irulan ALL fall victim to this trope in DUNE and DUNE MESSIAH...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 September 2021 - 05:58 PM

#175 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 September 2021 - 05:57 PM, said:

Is there a particular reason you need Kynes to be a dude?

I don't need Kynes to be a dude. It's just that I feel the gender swap was done for it's own sake, which I find annoying.

Another thing that has been bothering me lately is that it seems like you're not allowed to express any doubts about this adaptation. This is going to be the movie to end all movies, and it's going to be AWESOME, period.

Case in point, Quinn. He's a huge Dune fan, but gets all defensive on social media whenever anyone expresses the slightest bit of criticism or at the very least, concerns about the movie.

I find such fervour off-putting.

#176 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:27 PM

ok

#177 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:46 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 02 September 2021 - 05:41 PM, said:

Modernising a story set tens of thousands of years into the future, right.

Yeah, coz a story being set in the future means it cannot possibly contain cultural biases from the time it was written.

I don't necessarily agree with QT that Dune, at least the first book, were sexist in that way- basically everyone in it was a schemer of one sort or another so I don't think the Bene Gesserit necessarily stand out in that respect- but it is fairly one-sided in terms of representation despite the importance of Jessica and Chani, and switching Kynes hurts nothing about the plot, so I don't see why it'd bother anyone.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#178 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:37 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 02 September 2021 - 08:46 PM, said:

I don't necessarily agree with QT that Dune, at least the first book, were sexist in that way- basically everyone in it was a schemer of one sort or another so I don't think the Bene Gesserit necessarily stand out in that respect- but it is fairly one-sided in terms of representation despite the importance of Jessica and Chani, and switching Kynes hurts nothing about the plot, so I don't see why it'd bother anyone.

Same thing with FOUNDATION, which hits screens in three weeks time (as a TV show on Apple) and those books are faaaar worse than DUNE with their gender representation (the early stories are twenty years older than DUNE, but even so it's startling how few female characters even appear), so they went in and changed that pretty sharpish when they started work on the TV show and that seems to have been much more widely accepted.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#179 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:32 PM

See, I agree with the gender swap in the case of Foundation's streaming series adaptation, considering the source material is pretty much a sausage-fest.

#180 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 September 2021 - 01:04 AM

Having women characters isn't enough for me in regards to Dune. Changing Kynes to a woman and in particular, a black woman, changes up the tone in a way I like.

It is structurally integral to the story of Dune that the Fremen be Arab-like and that the Imperials be white. Herbert was intentional about exploring exploitation of culture, resources, "good masters and bad masters", slavery, loss of volition and choice, predestination, Messianic religion, capitalism, side effects of technology, and more. He did it quite well in some respects, alright in others, and terribly in some.

One of the areas he did terribly in is the treatment of women and in particular, women of color. What happens to Alia, Ghanima, and Chani is not well handled, even if looked at in a way of seeing that includes "let's examine the fucked up ways women in royal situations and society at large have been treated throughout history". Add in that Jessica is literally from a society of scheming witches that manages to make it a genetic certainty that further people from that group will be almost all scheming witches who sex-persuade everyone. It's in general messed up and can be bent a bit from original books and intent towards something better and more inclusive.

Black women in particular are not included in the original series. I think

Kynes connects the grand story of Arrakis specifically to the Fremen and to the Imperial actors. Duncan Idaho connects much of Paul and Leto's stories to each other and to us. If those roles are given to charismatic people who symbolically represent others who were excluded from the story before, that's a big win.

I don't declare now that this Villeneuve version is going to be amazing or the definitive version. But it already does a few things better than the original and subsequent adaptations. That's good to notice and good to keep building upon.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users