• You cannot reply to this topic

Fantasy/SF books which are worth a reread

#21 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle + Cryptonomicon- well worth re-reads, and the books look mighty pretty, too.

I have a strong suspicion that Sanderson's Stormlight books will reward re-reads. Whether you want to add the rest of the Cosmere stuff is up to you.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Chris Wooding's "Braided Path" trilogy omnibus is a gorgeous-looking book. I have re-read it before as well.

My non-SFF favourites for re-reads would be Alexandre Dumas' "Count of Monte Christo" and "20 years later". "Master and Margarita" is another great one. I also absolutely adore "The White Guard", but that book has a lot of regional/cultural significance to me, but won't necessarily translate into a good recco.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#22 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

There have been some great suggestions, I won't repeat those.

Wexler's The Shadow Campaigns
Saberhagen's Books of Sowrds/Lost Swords
Moorcock's Elric series
Steven Brust's Kha'avren or Vlad series (or both!)
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#23 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

If we're talking quality books that look cool on the shelf, I highly recommend keeping an eye on what Subterrenean Pressare doing. I've never yet been able to justify getting any of their stuff (except The Princess and Mr Whiffle which I think they did, but sadly missed out on the sequel) but oh my gosh it's routinely so gorgeous. Their good stuff tends to sell out fast, so it's worth checking regularly.

It's a shame Abercrombie's not your style. His (normal-edition) books look and feel great. Especially in hardback or trade.

Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle is like the definition of re-read material, but on top of that some editions of his work are truly gorgeous for a bookshelf. I still haven't finished Book of the Long Sun just because I can't bring myself to cram my copies into my bag to bring them to Germany. Will have to ship them at some point I guess...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

If you read Gene Wolfe at all, basically all of his work should be read at least twice. I am just finishing another reread of The Book of the New Sun and I see more and more every time.

I just read a short, simple line of dialogue in Citadel of the Autarch. Although the noun appears to (obviously) be one of direct address, if simply read as an appositive, it's not even foreshadowing but direct revelation of things not yet known by the reader. I marveled for 15 minutes before continuing.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#25 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

A lot of other good books have been mentioned that I myself own and have reread several times - Shogun, House of Leaves, others.

My recommendation is Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. The Pevear translation is best. It is the best book I have ever read, and I continually reread passages from it with new joy each time. The only other literary work I can put at this level is Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. And Hamlet. You should also have a copy of Hamlet.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#26 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 12 December 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Meiville - Perdido?

Get Un Lun Dun (younger readers will enjoy this very much), Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council, Kraken, and Embassytown.

Le Guin - any specific recos Amph? Haven't read anything except the first Earthsea book.

The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed, and the Earthsea novels.

David Foster Wallace - don't know anything about this.

Near future dystopia, with a set of characters centered around a tennis academy in a fallen apart United States. Very funny, very depressing, and the beginning is actually the ending, while being the beginning still. It's really cool and in the line of House of Leaves, except the hipsters in the US and England have adopted this as THEIR book to benchmark each other's coolness. Still very much worth reading and it'll stick with you a long time.

I was also considering Asimovs collected Robot stories....

I hate Asimov. Would pass on this, but your tastes may differ.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 December 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

For collectability (like books you want to keep nice because they look nice on the shelf AND are worthy of your re-reading)

A good set of Tolkien is always a great idea ( LOTR, HOBBIT, SILMARILLION, LOST TALES, TALES OF THE PERILOUS REALM)

Tad Williams MEMORY SORROW & THORN series is fantastic, and have lovely covers (THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR, THE STONE OF FAREWELL, TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER PART I and II)...and they've JUST been re-released in new trade paperback versions with new Michael Whelan art on the covers. Plus, the bonus of the series finally continuing starting in the new year.

Mary Stewart's Arthur series (THE CRYSTAL CAVE, THE HOLLOW HILLS, THE LAST ENCHANTMENT, THE WICKED DAY, THE PRINCE & THE PILGRIM) is another one that is worth rereading and looks lovely.

I have LotR, Hobbit and Silmarillion. Maybe I should look into Children of Hurin?

I don't know anything at all about Tad Williams. Need to find out I guess

#28 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostMentalist, on 12 December 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle + Cryptonomicon- well worth re-reads, and the books look mighty pretty, too.

I have a strong suspicion that Sanderson's Stormlight books will reward re-reads. Whether you want to add the rest of the Cosmere stuff is up to you.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Chris Wooding's "Braided Path" trilogy omnibus is a gorgeous-looking book. I have re-read it before as well.

My non-SFF favourites for re-reads would be Alexandre Dumas' "Count of Monte Christo" and "20 years later". "Master and Margarita" is another great one. I also absolutely adore "The White Guard", but that book has a lot of regional/cultural significance to me, but won't necessarily translate into a good recco.

I was thinking about Stephenson too. The Baroque Cycle features on my Long-term-to-read list.
Read Cryptonomicon. Excellent book.

Sanderson....I will consider when he is a bit further on, like at least halfway into SLA

Braided Path is an excellent suggestion. In fact I think I can get it quite easily.

Monte Cristo is possibly one of the best books I have ever read.

Master and Margarita - thanks for the reco, looks excellent.

View Postacesn8s, on 12 December 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

There have been some great suggestions, I won't repeat those.

Wexler's The Shadow Campaigns
Saberhagen's Books of Sowrds/Lost Swords
Moorcock's Elric series
Steven Brust's Kha'avren or Vlad series (or both!)

I love Shadow Campaigns. Might actually get these.

View Postpolishgenius, on 12 December 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

If we're talking quality books that look cool on the shelf, I highly recommend keeping an eye on what Subterrenean Pressare doing. I've never yet been able to justify getting any of their stuff (except The Princess and Mr Whiffle which I think they did, but sadly missed out on the sequel) but oh my gosh it's routinely so gorgeous. Their good stuff tends to sell out fast, so it's worth checking regularly.

It's a shame Abercrombie's not your style. His (normal-edition) books look and feel great. Especially in hardback or trade.

Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle is like the definition of re-read material, but on top of that some editions of his work are truly gorgeous for a bookshelf. I still haven't finished Book of the Long Sun just because I can't bring myself to cram my copies into my bag to bring them to Germany. Will have to ship them at some point I guess...

Abercrombie's First Law books had excellent covers.

View Postansible, on 12 December 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

If you read Gene Wolfe at all, basically all of his work should be read at least twice. I am just finishing another reread of The Book of the New Sun and I see more and more every time.

I just read a short, simple line of dialogue in Citadel of the Autarch. Although the noun appears to (obviously) be one of direct address, if simply read as an appositive, it's not even foreshadowing but direct revelation of things not yet known by the reader. I marveled for 15 minutes before continuing.

View Postansible, on 12 December 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

A lot of other good books have been mentioned that I myself own and have reread several times - Shogun, House of Leaves, others.

My recommendation is Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. The Pevear translation is best. It is the best book I have ever read, and I continually reread passages from it with new joy each time. The only other literary work I can put at this level is Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. And Hamlet. You should also have a copy of Hamlet.

I will clearly have to consider Gene Wolfe. Maybe New Sun and Latro?

Also would you recommend Dostoevsky to someone who was less than impressed with Tolstoy?

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

View PostAndorion, on 13 December 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

For collectability (like books you want to keep nice because they look nice on the shelf AND are worthy of your re-reading)

A good set of Tolkien is always a great idea ( LOTR, HOBBIT, SILMARILLION, LOST TALES, TALES OF THE PERILOUS REALM)

Tad Williams MEMORY SORROW & THORN series is fantastic, and have lovely covers (THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR, THE STONE OF FAREWELL, TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER PART I and II)...and they've JUST been re-released in new trade paperback versions with new Michael Whelan art on the covers. Plus, the bonus of the series finally continuing starting in the new year.

Mary Stewart's Arthur series (THE CRYSTAL CAVE, THE HOLLOW HILLS, THE LAST ENCHANTMENT, THE WICKED DAY, THE PRINCE & THE PILGRIM) is another one that is worth rereading and looks lovely.

I have LotR, Hobbit and Silmarillion. Maybe I should look into Children of Hurin?

HURIN is great (it's basically an expanded version of the tale that appears in SILMARILLION, but it's worth a read).

Williams MS&T is a series I only read very recently for the first time, but I was blown away and it quickly rose to the top of my favourites shelf. You should read it, it's great! Bear in mind though that GRRM cites the series as having given him "inspiration" for A Song Of Ice & Fire...and when you read Williams, you realize just how much GRRM kind of cribs from Williams (to a level that I can't understand why no one has yet called him out on it). In some places it's blatant ripoff territory, and in others it's more subtle. Williams is much more fantasy-oriented though.

Anyways, great series, and in the new year the interquel (novella that takes place between the last book from the first series and the first book of the new series) THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST comes out, followed a couple of months later by the first book in the new trilogy (which takes place a generation later I believe).

I can't praise the series enough to be honest.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 December 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

HURIN is great (it's basically an expanded version of the tale that appears in SILMARILLION, but it's worth a read).

Williams MS&T is a series I only read very recently for the first time, but I was blown away and it quickly rose to the top of my favourites shelf. You should read it, it's great! Bear in mind though that GRRM cites the series as having given him "inspiration" for A Song Of Ice & Fire...and when you read Williams, you realize just how much GRRM kind of cribs from Williams (to a level that I can't understand why no one has yet called him out on it). In some places it's blatant ripoff territory, and in others it's more subtle. Williams is much more fantasy-oriented though.

Anyways, great series, and in the new year the interquel (novella that takes place between the last book from the first series and the first book of the new series) THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST comes out, followed a couple of months later by the first book in the new trilogy (which takes place a generation later I believe).

Excellent. one question QT, why is their such a huge gap in time between part 1 and the 2nd part of To Green Angel Tower ? Like 1993 and 2016?

Also should I wait for the Heart of what was lost to come out before starting the series?

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 13 December 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

Excellent. one question QT, why is their such a huge gap in time between part 1 and the 2nd part of To Green Angel Tower ? Like 1993 and 2016?

Also should I wait for the Heart of what was lost to come out before starting the series?

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER PI and II came out at the same time in 1993. It is one book, but was too big to publish as one volume (I THINK it still holds a record for longest single volume book?) so it came out as two. They both came out at the same time as far as I know. There is no gap in time within it.

That book finished the initial trilogy (if you call TGAT one book as it's supposed to be) story in 1993.

His 2017 return to the same world takes place after that. THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST takes place in the aftermath of the end of TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER, and the first book of the new trilogy THE WITCHWOOD CROWN takes place something like 20-30 years after TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER.

And no, you don't have to wait, you can read the entirety of the original MS&T series now. The new series apparently has some of the same characters a generation later, but seemingly will focus on a younger generation and a brand new story in that world.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#32 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 December 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER PI and II came out at the same time in 1993. It is one book, but was too big to publish as one volume (I THINK it still holds a record for longest single volume book?) so it came out as two. They both came out at the same time as far as I know. There is no gap in time within it.

That book finished the initial trilogy (if you call TGAT one book as it's supposed to be) story in 1993.

His 2017 return to the same world takes place after that. THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST takes place in the aftermath of the end of TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER, and the first book of the new trilogy THE WITCHWOOD CROWN takes place something like 20-30 years after TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER.

And no, you don't have to wait, you can read the entirety of the original MS&T series now. The new series apparently has some of the same characters a generation later, but seemingly will focus on a younger generation and a brand new story in that world.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I quite like the look of this series and I think I can get the first two books in hardback for a quite low pricePosted Image

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostAndorion, on 13 December 2016 - 02:51 PM, said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

I quite like the look of this series and I think I can get the first two books in hardback for a quite low pricePosted Image

Counterpoint: library and read the first one first. You may change your mind and those things are YUGE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#34 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

Abyss's MST posts are exclusively sponsored by Haterade.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#35 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

The book came out in 2 parts in countries where the population has a short attention span. :p

Here it came out initially as a single 1083 page volume. I know because I pre-ordered it, and just checked the page count in the copy on my bookshelf.

I recall feeling let down by the pace and depressive feeling that pervades the second half of the series. The climax was ... anticlimactic. Maybe that feeling would change if I reread it, but frankly I have waaaaaaay too many other books in my TRP to blow umpteen hours simply to see if my initial impression was mistaken.
To put it in context though: I was 21, bought and read the first one when it came out and ordered the second one from a specialist bookstore and even have the errata they sent when I pointed out a printing mistake. I hoped against hope the third one would fix up the feeling of being let down the second one had instilled in me, but sadly that was not the case.

But then again, YMMV.

I will wait and see what a sufficient quorum of the guys here say about the new stuff before I make a decision as to whether I get it or not.

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 14 December 2016 - 07:47 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hate(erade) is strong, in the sense that I like the author's work generally, and I did finish the series.

But, without getting into SPOILERS, I can say that i echo Needa... I found it overlong, too much trudging from point a to point b, ceaselessly gloomy, the characters dull, and the end didn't stick the landing for me. The books for the most part follow the slow build to one finale at the end pattern, and in monster books like MST, that just doesn't work for me, at least. Also makes use of a bunch of tropes that were old even back when the series was originally written, and one in particular of which makes my teeth itch with annoyance.

All of which is to say, I would tell any fantasy fan to at least try it, but personally would never give this series a place of honour in my own permanent dead tree collection.

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 December 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

Hate(erade) is strong, in the sense that I like the author's work generally, and I did finish the series.

But, without getting into SPOILERS, I can say that i echo Needa... I found it overlong, too much trudging from point a to point b, ceaselessly gloomy, the characters dull, and the end didn't stick the landing for me. The books for the most part follow the slow build to one finale at the end pattern, and in monster books like MST, that just doesn't work for me, at least. Also makes use of a bunch of tropes that were old even back when the series was originally written, and one in particular of which makes my teeth itch with annoyance.

All of which is to say, I would tell any fantasy fan to at least try it, but personally would never give this series a place of honour in my own permanent dead tree collection.

It is overlong sort of, but it never actually felt that way to me. The prose is wonderfully immersive and I think that's part of the length. Whereas (for example) I often wanted someone like Robert Jordan to "get to the point", I found that with Williams he's a big table/scene setter, and none of it felt like it was unneeded bloat...but that it was all about getting you into the scenes. Ceaselessly gloomy? I'm not sure I felt that either. The characters are anything but dull. Even Simon (who is the biggest "trope" character in the book gets solid growth throughout)....but Binnabik, Miriamele, Geloe, Isgrimnur, Jiriki, Tiamak...all full and interesting characters! And that's just book 1.

And sure, it follows some older Tolkien-ish tropes...but he's so good at twisting them and making them freshly interesting. The Sithi are probably my favourite example. Basically elves, but filtered through a Japanese samurai lens, with an entirely unique way of living that I've not seen in any other elvish races in a book.

I can't believe we have such polar feelings about this series (we usually are in moderate-to-full agreement). I adore it.

I'm now super curious what Ando thinks of it. Maybe just grab book 1 first and see if you dig it Ando. I wouldn't want you to pick up the whole thing and not like it.

#38 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 December 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 14 December 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

It is overlong sort of, but it never actually felt that way to me. The prose is wonderfully immersive and I think that's part of the length. Whereas (for example) I often wanted someone like Robert Jordan to "get to the point", I found that with Williams he's a big table/scene setter, and none of it felt like it was unneeded bloat...but that it was all about getting you into the scenes. Ceaselessly gloomy? I'm not sure I felt that either. The characters are anything but dull. Even Simon (who is the biggest "trope" character in the book gets solid growth throughout)....but Binnabik, Miriamele, Geloe, Isgrimnur, Jiriki, Tiamak...all full and interesting characters! And that's just book 1.

And sure, it follows some older Tolkien-ish tropes...but he's so good at twisting them and making them freshly interesting. The Sithi are probably my favourite example. Basically elves, but filtered through a Japanese samurai lens, with an entirely unique way of living that I've not seen in any other elvish races in a book.

I can't believe we have such polar feelings about this series (we usually are in moderate-to-full agreement). I adore it.

I'm now super curious what Ando thinks of it. Maybe just grab book 1 first and see if you dig it Ando. I wouldn't want you to pick up the whole thing and not like it.

I think the library has a copy. I will give dragonbone chair a whirl and if I like it I can get the books

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

Heh, now I'm curious about Ando's view too.
Tho there was also Sigma Force that I fell out of love with, and the Weather Warden series I couldn't get into ( tho both are on my list to try again eventually).

#40 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

View PostAbyss, on 14 December 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

Heh, now I'm curious about Ando's view too.
Tho there was also Sigma Force that I fell out of love with, and the Weather Warden series I couldn't get into ( tho both are on my list to try again eventually).

Regarding Baru: I was on the hate list. I actually drew up a list of bullet pointsPosted Image

I think you might like it. I did too. But not when I took a closer look

I keep on trying to read Sigma Force - Sand Storm and keep on stopping, which is strange as I love Rollins' standalones

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users