• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantasy/SF books which are worth a reread

#1 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:31 AM

I finally have a good bookcase. I now want to buy some books and keep them properly.

A vast amount of my fantasy reading till date has been Kindle/library/borrowing/old-secondhand tattered stuff.

Now I want to buy around 2-3 series, maybe more in physical format.

But I am looking for books which are worth a reread, books I can enjoy for years, books like Malazan.

So far, I am considering

the Black Company by Glen Cook - I hav eonly read the first three books

The Prince of Nothing and the Aspect Emperor by R Scott Bakker - Reading the second book of the first trilogy.

Which series are really worth it? They don't have to be like Malazan in any way except being reread worthy.

Edit: Series I own - ASOIAF, MBotF - own 4 buying the rest, WoT, HP - Bro has the full set.

Also feel free to recommend standalones!

This post has been edited by Andorion: 12 December 2016 - 02:40 AM

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:48 AM

Gene Wolfe's Latro and Solar Cycle
Alistair Reynolds (all of his work)
N.K. Jemison Fifth Season and Obelisk Gate
All of Richard Morgan
All of Iain Banks 's sci fi stuff
Many Ursula LeGuin books
Most China Mireille
David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest
Donaldson's Covenant books and Gap cycle
CJ Cherry's Foreigner series
Expanse series by Corey
Jim Butcher's books minus the airship one
City of Stairs and City of Blades by Bennett.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

View Postamphibian, on 12 December 2016 - 02:48 AM, said:

Gene Wolfe's Latro and Solar Cycle
Alistair Reynolds (all of his work)
N.K. Jemison Fifth Season and Obelisk Gate
All of Richard Morgan
All of Iain Banks 's sci fi stuff
Many Ursula LeGuin books
Most China Mireille
David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest
Donaldson's Covenant books and Gap cycle
CJ Cherry's Foreigner series
Expanse series by Corey
Jim Butcher's books minus the airship one
City of Stairs and City of Blades by Bennett.

I was already considering Alastair Reynolds and Banks - I actually have already ordered House of Suns.

Jemisin, Butcher, Corey, Bennett - all solid recs, but I think I might wait till the series are done.

Morgan - Forgot about this - A Land Fit for Heroes is a very cool series.

Cherryh - I am reading the first Foreigner, definitely something worth looking into.

Meiville - Perdido?

Donaldson, Wolfe - will have to look into these.

Le Guin - any specific recos Amph? Haven't read anything except the first Earthsea book.

David Foster Wallace - don't know anything about this.

I was also considering Asimovs collected Robot stories....

Thanks!

View PostBriar King, on 12 December 2016 - 02:56 AM, said:

He list a few great ones.

I ll throw in a standalone. James Clavell's Sho Gun. Fucking amazing. I'm letting time pass before I reread it. Though not SF or Fantasy sorry. Still one of the greatest bks I've ever read. Historical fiction

I also really look forward to rereading Hobbs Fitz bks one day.

Don't you get wood for Hyperion?

Shogun? Interesting. I like historical fiction, will definitely take a look.

No Hobb for me. Could not finish her first trilogy

Hyperion is an excellent idea BK.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:54 AM

Stover's CAINE series.Give your bookcase some fucking attitude.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:07 AM

Bakker's books and Black Company are certainly good selections for a re-read (speaking of, just might dive back into those...)

Some of Guy Gavriel Kay's works are solid re-read material. Under Heaven and River of Stars are part of a series, as are the Sarantine Mosaic and Fionavar Tapestry books (though I didn't much care for the latter).

Stephen King's Dark Tower books are another option.

Feist and Wurts' Empire trilogy are great reads that I always end up coming back to.

Others that come to mind are Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs and A Land Fit for Heroes novels, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga and perhaps some of Abercrombie's works (haven't re-read First Law yet so don't know how it holds up the second time round).
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:16 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 December 2016 - 03:54 AM, said:

Stover's CAINE series.Give your bookcase some fucking attitude.

Funny thing I just saw - on Amazon.in I can get Heroes Die easily, but Blade of Tyshalle is 11000rs+ And its a paperback. Must be written on platinum.

View PostMTS, on 12 December 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

Bakker's books and Black Company are certainly good selections for a re-read (speaking of, just might dive back into those...)

Some of Guy Gavriel Kay's works are solid re-read material. Under Heaven and River of Stars are part of a series, as are the Sarantine Mosaic and Fionavar Tapestry books (though I didn't much care for the latter).

Feist and Wurts' Empire trilogy are great reads that I always end up coming back to.

Others that come to mind are Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs and A Land Fit for Heroes novels, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga and perhaps some of Abercrombie's works (haven't re-read First Law yet so don't know how it holds up the second time round).

I really like the first Bakker trilogy, do the Aspect Emperor books hold up?

I was wondering about GGK. I loved Lion.s. Sarantine looks good..

Feist and Wurts - I like Wurts and I enjoyed Magician. So maybe.

Love Vorkosigan, but its a huge series. May need to pick and choose..

Abercrombie is not my cup of tea.

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:40 AM

View PostBriar King, on 12 December 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

Yea I don't think you'd be disappointed with Sho Gun one single bit if Samurai stuff interest you at all. It's the 1st of 6 bks. He died before starting 7. I've read 1-3 and while 2&3 are good they can't even touch the lvl of epic Sho Gun is on. Look it up asap and enjoy its glorious 1K page story.

The story is complete in itself, right? I don't need to read books 2 and 3?

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

Find a really nice hardcover of The Princess Bride.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:18 AM

View PostAndorion, on 12 December 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

View PostMTS, on 12 December 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

I really like the first Bakker trilogy, do the Aspect Emperor books hold up?

I thought they did, as I enjoyed them roughly the same amount as the Prince of Nothing books. I have only re-read the first trilogy though.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#10 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:20 AM

A nice copy of Dune.

Discworld.

Mark Lawrences' Thorns and Red Queens War series.

Gaiman's American Gods and Neverwhere (also Good Omens which was cowritten with Terry Pratchett.)

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel's Game, and The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Vandermeer's Ambergris books.

S. bt JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst.

I'll also second Abyss and Worry on the recommendations for Caine and Princess Bride. I know BoT is stupidly expensive, but it's out of print and will likely never have another run.

#11 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:26 AM

View PostJPK, on 12 December 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

A nice copy of Dune.

Discworld.

Gaiman's American Gods and Neverwhere (also Good Omens which was cowritten with Terry Pratchett.)

The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel's Game, and The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I'll also second Abyss and Worry on the recommendations for Caine and Princess Bride. I know BoT is stupidly expensive, but it's out of print and will likely never have another run.

Discworld - maybe the City Watch and Death books.

I was considering Gaiman

House of leaves - I have heard a lot about it. How is it?

Lawrence is definitely a contender

#12 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostAndorion, on 12 December 2016 - 05:26 AM, said:

A nice copy of Dune.

Discworld.

I was considering Gaiman

I absolutely love the book. First thing to know is that it is a book that you need to read in a physical copy as he does a lot of odd formatting (that plays into HOW he's telling the story) that wouldn't work as well in a digital format. Now with that in mind, the book is about a man finding a book about a fake documentary about a family that buys a house that is growing larger than it appears to be on the outside. It really plays with mankind's tendency to develop an obsession with exploring the unknown (even if it's pretty clear it's something we shouldn't really be messing with) and how that kind of obsession can affect his relationships with those around him. Also, it has an entire chapter devoted to echoes which is one of the coolest things I've ever read. I would recommend this without hesitation.

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:40 AM

David Gemmells Legend. And his Troy Trilogy.

I have no idea how many times I have reread those books.

If you like feist then I'd second the empire trilogy, incredibly rereadable.

The Hobbit and LotR should be on any bookshelf. There's some really nice editions floating about that will look the part too

#14 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostJPK, on 12 December 2016 - 05:46 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 12 December 2016 - 05:26 AM, said:

A nice copy of Dune.

Discworld.

I was considering Gaiman

I absolutely love the book. First thing to know is that it is a book that you need to read in a physical copy as he does a lot of odd formatting (that plays into HOW he's telling the story) that wouldn't work as well in a digital format. Now with that in mind, the book is about a man finding a book about a fake documentary about a family that buys a house that is growing larger than it appears to be on the outside. It really plays with mankind's tendency to develop an obsession with exploring the unknown (even if it's pretty clear it's something we shouldn't really be messing with) and how that kind of obsession can affect his relationships with those around him. Also, it has an entire chapter devoted to echoes which is one of the coolest things I've ever read. I would recommend this without hesitation.

That sounds pretty great. Going on the To-Buy list....I now have a To Buy list! That makes me happy

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 December 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

David Gemmells Legend. And his Troy Trilogy.

I have no idea how many times I have reread those books.

If you like feist then I'd second the empire trilogy, incredibly rereadable.

The Hobbit and LotR should be on any bookshelf. There's some really nice editions floating about that will look the part too

I have LotR and Hobbit.

I have actually thought about Legend. Back in the day Gemmell's Druss and Waylander books formed a huge part of my fantasy diet.

I really should read the Troy books now.

#16 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

So today I discovered that one of the bookstores in the city has created a large fantasy/sf shelf. Made me happy.

I bought Dune, the 50th Anniversary edition.

#17 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostAndorion, on 12 December 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

So today I discovered that one of the bookstores in the city has created a large fantasy/sf shelf. Made me happy.

Is that the one with the sandy cover and the outline of the sandworm? I have that edition, its such a cool cover.

Second only to this cover, which unfortunately I do not own: http://www.foliosoci...e-frank-herbert

#18 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostHammerhead88, on 12 December 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 12 December 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

Is that the one with the sandy cover and the outline of the sandworm? I have that edition, its such a cool cover.

Second only to this cover, which unfortunately I do not own: http://www.foliosoci...e-frank-herbert

Yup, its the sandy one.

The folio cover looks so cool. But its hard to get stuff like that here

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

For collectability (like books you want to keep nice because they look nice on the shelf AND are worthy of your re-reading)

A good set of Tolkien is always a great idea ( LOTR, HOBBIT, SILMARILLION, LOST TALES, TALES OF THE PERILOUS REALM)

Tad Williams MEMORY SORROW & THORN series is fantastic, and have lovely covers (THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR, THE STONE OF FAREWELL, TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER PART I and II)...and they've JUST been re-released in new trade paperback versions with new Michael Whelan art on the covers. Plus, the bonus of the series finally continuing starting in the new year.

Mary Stewart's Arthur series (THE CRYSTAL CAVE, THE HOLLOW HILLS, THE LAST ENCHANTMENT, THE WICKED DAY, THE PRINCE & THE PILGRIM) is another one that is worth rereading and looks lovely.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#20 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

For The Princess Bride, make sure to find the most recent "XXth Anniversary Edition" that you can; each time it hits a new anniversary, Goldman tacks on a new introduction that adds to the framing story. (I own the 30th Anniversary Edition.)

Easily seconding anything by Stover, Donaldson, Wolfe (who rewards rereads even more than Erikson) and Tolkien.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users