Malazan Empire: Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid Now you're playing with... a cheap looking peripheral?

#121 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

I've played the game docked for the most of the time. Admittedly I am not great at noticing framerate, I typically don't notice framerate unless it drops below 20, but I haven't noticed anything criminal. Maybe sometimes when you do a power strike against an enemy and your weapon shatters the game might hitch but I can't tell if that is intentional flair or the framerate hickuping.

I think the pop in of textures is more glaring. It feels like playing No Man's Sky some times when you jump off a high cliff and you see the terrain under you appearing in layers.

I think all that is secondary though. Despite the game being graphically disappointing, the artwork and environment design makes the game look like you're playing inside a cartoon. It's not quite Ni No Kuni but it's something similar but more raw looking. I love the way everything is presented in this game.

#122 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

Me and my house have been playing Zelda on the Wii U, which had lain forgotten for well over a year. It's great fun, and I love the art style.

By contrast to what I'm hearing about the Switch version, it runs fine on the TV but if you play on the tablet there are noticeable framerate issues.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#123 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostApt, on 08 March 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Maybe sometimes when you do a power strike against an enemy and your weapon shatters the game might hitch but I can't tell if that is intentional flair or the framerate hickuping.

I noticed that happen in the review video. I guess the only way to know if it's intentional or not is to see if the same thing happens when playing it on the tablet, which the review seems to indicate was not the case. Either way, it was the only 'fault' they could find with the game as a whole.

View PostKhellendros, on 08 March 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

By contrast to what I'm hearing about the Switch version, it runs fine on the TV but if you play on the tablet there are noticeable framerate issues.

How strange. Maybe that's indicative of what Nintendo intends for each console, with the Switch being aimed more at the portable side?

#124 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostSerenity, on 08 March 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 08 March 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Maybe sometimes when you do a power strike against an enemy and your weapon shatters the game might hitch but I can't tell if that is intentional flair or the framerate hickuping.

I noticed that happen in the review video. I guess the only way to know if it's intentional or not is to see if the same thing happens when playing it on the tablet, which the review seems to indicate was not the case. Either way, it was the only 'fault' they could find with the game as a whole.

View PostKhellendros, on 08 March 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

How strange. Maybe that's indicative of what Nintendo intends for each console, with the Switch being aimed more at the portable side?

From what I hear the Switch version outputs at 900p resolution on TVs, but 720p on the console screen. This lower resolution probably helps it to run better.

With the Wii U, the problem might be a weak signal from the console to the tablet. That's my guess anyway.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#125 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

I haven't watched any technical comparisons between the Wii U and the Switch but my understanding is that they are roughly equal in power. The Switch is just smaller and more compact. So it's not surprising that they look similar. I believe that when the Switch is docked it can run at a slightly higher resolution with slightly more fps but the Wii U is not far behind.

I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore fan of Zelda either. Haven't played one since Ocarina of Time. I would still say that this is an absolutely phenomenal gaming experience. It's one of those textbook examples of gameplay over graphics. Even though the developers didn't have much to work with, they made an open world game that is going to influence the genre for years to come.

#126 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 March 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

Ok I'm only just now really properly looking at the thing. It looks like a really cool overpriced gizmo. Seems way to fragile for my like coming from a person with greasy fingered, unresponseable, drops phone/remote everyday kids. I would want them to be able to enjoy this thing like they do with my other consoles(I wouldn't let Jace play my PS4 for about a yr but he was 7 then) without wanting to hover over them. I feel like I would have to change the game(that plastic flip isn't going to last long), take the thing in and out of dock,& take controls on/off.

I'm in no hurry to add this system to my home. I ll let the $ drop $50-100 in a yr or more.

Just asked my friend. He says that unless your kids are actively trying to break the controls, they'll be fine. Everything feels well made and is light enough that a drop from a couch won't hurt unless it's flung hard.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#127 User is offline   Kaschan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

So can I buy this for WiiU at a much cheaper version?

#128 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

This is Nintendo. They're one of the strictest publishers in terms of keeping the price high on their products. So the answer is of course not.

#129 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:21 AM

So Breath of the Wild is indeed amazing. Going to spend a lot of time on this one, I can tell.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#130 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

Some tips if you want when you start out:

Start out by doing the first steps in the "memories" main quest, you'll get an important piece of equipment that I didn't even bother with until much later in the game.

If you plan on doing a lot of exploration in the game I recommend that you take the North West Divine Beast first, since there is a very useful upgrade associated with that section.

Consider putting a lot of orbs into Stamina initially. It will make your life easier.

Collect everything you come across. Keep a stack of at least 20 or even 50 of everything in your inventory. You never know when you come across a fetch quest or you get a chance to upgade something new.

Try out dumb shit but remember to save constantly.

I didn't use a lot of tags but in terms of ressource grinding it can be smart to mark places on the map where you encountered "special" enemies or certain ressources.

Collect all the Korok seeds you can.

Horses are cool but in the end most of this games fun lies in exploring on foot. Just leave the horse behind and climb that mountain.

#131 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Haha, I just found out the importance of Korok seeds. XD was almost about to ask how to do the thing when I find out through playing. :p

I'm at the village for the first memories quest now - that's where I've stopped for the night.

I like the horse, but it definitely feels like mounts in Horizon Zero Dawn - you miss out on stuff if you use it. Will definitely be using them sparingly/for retread mostly.

So far my favourite things in this game are the little ones - the way grass looks, how surfaces get slippery when it's raining and climbing becomes harder, just generally how well things are thought out like how you can lure animals with food and stuff. It's all little stuff that rpgs should have been doing for years - combined with stuff like being able to surf on your shield which I'd normally hate but it's just cool here.

Only thing I'm finding annoying right now is weapon durability. I like that it's a thing, but honestly my swords should last for more than ten hits between two or three enemies. Combined with the limited inventory space and scarcity of decent weapons (at least so far) it feels excessive. Maybe double or triple the number of hits on the not-just-a-stick weapons to start.

But really liking it so far. Because that's literally the only minor complaint I have. Everything else has been great.

Also, love that the localisation is limited to major dialogue. It's so entertaining to hear the original reaction noises and stuff in place of actual dialogue for most interactions. Wonder what prompted that approach...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#132 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

View PostSilencer, on 18 March 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Haha, I just found out the importance of Korok seeds. XD was almost about to ask how to do the thing when I find out through playing. :p

I'm at the village for the first memories quest now - that's where I've stopped for the night.

I like the horse, but it definitely feels like mounts in Horizon Zero Dawn - you miss out on stuff if you use it. Will definitely be using them sparingly/for retread mostly.

So far my favourite things in this game are the little ones - the way grass looks, how surfaces get slippery when it's raining and climbing becomes harder, just generally how well things are thought out like how you can lure animals with food and stuff. It's all little stuff that rpgs should have been doing for years - combined with stuff like being able to surf on your shield which I'd normally hate but it's just cool here.

Only thing I'm finding annoying right now is weapon durability. I like that it's a thing, but honestly my swords should last for more than ten hits between two or three enemies. Combined with the limited inventory space and scarcity of decent weapons (at least so far) it feels excessive. Maybe double or triple the number of hits on the not-just-a-stick weapons to start.

But really liking it so far. Because that's literally the only minor complaint I have. Everything else has been great.

Also, love that the localisation is limited to major dialogue. It's so entertaining to hear the original reaction noises and stuff in place of actual dialogue for most interactions. Wonder what prompted that approach...

It is indeed the little details that makes the game special but I also loved the scope of the game. Like Skyrim, it's a vast landscape but I think Zelda tool it a step further and truly made it feel like a fantasy world.

The durability of the weapons will improve over time, at the end I was more often just throwing weapons away than picking up new ones. One odd thing though is that I never really got a proper sense of what the levels of the enemies were. Some areas of the land are obviously meant for early exploration but I would still come across areas at the end game where the enemies were curiously hard to deal with. Especially those big humanoid dog things.

Another piece of advise. At the start I thought you needed a wood axe to chop wood or a pick axe to gather minerals. You don't. Just chop tree's with sharp weapons or smash ore with blunt objects (or a sharp one if you're desperate). It works all the same.

#133 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Have you played both, Silencer? Are they comparable in any way or just different games with their own distinctive character?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#134 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

So, I don't need the Switch to play Zelda? It's on Wii U, yeah?

Hrrrrm...... I do love me some Dragon Warrior.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#135 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 18 March 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

So, I don't need the Switch to play Zelda? It's on Wii U, yeah?

Hrrrrm...... I do love me some Dragon Warrior.

It is. It's also available on your PC already if you feel like breaking the law.

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#136 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:22 AM

View PostTraveller, on 18 March 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Have you played both, Silencer? Are they comparable in any way or just different games with their own distinctive character?

I have.

They're infinitely comparable in terms of gameplay and such, but they're very different in tone.

Where Horizon takes itself very seriously and spends a lot of time setting up a 'cinematic' main plot, Zelda is a lot more... Whimsical.

They both have main characters who use bows and melee weapons to fight. They both let you get mounts, craft things, roam around an amazing landscape (one for its realistic beauty, the other for its stylised beauty), and climb tall things to get more detail on your map.

I could go on, but honestly it would take an hour if I went point by point of similarity.

The main difference is the visuals and the tone. Zelda takes itself much less seriously (while still having it's own stakes and motivation, mind), and has more comedy. There's arguably more freedom in it, too, just by dint of how many mountains you can actually climb. And.. The details. The amount of stuff you can interact with in more ways than the usual stab/shoot options is fantastic. And little hidden bits at that, which aren't obvious at first.

Honestly if I could only play one from now on, it'd be Zelda. It's got its own share of quirks but overall its just a nicer game to play, with more little things in it to make it feel alive. (Fortunately I don't have to choose, lol)

Horizon is great at what it does, and is absolutely a great game. But it loses out in terms of sheer fun factor I think.

Shinrei said:

#137 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

Also, @Apt - how much effort is it to take out one of those Stone Talos? I don't want to throw away swords on something that looks that tough. XD

Shinrei said:

#138 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

They're probably the easiest of the big monsters. It's dependent upon your weapon level I assume, but you can kill them pretty quickly. First time I encountered one I just whittled it down by firing arrows at the ore deposit on its head. But the fast method is to just run behind it, climb up its leg and back and just smash the ore deposit with something blunt. Good trick is to get one of those heavy two-hand weapons that makes you rotate when you charge up your attack and just charge it up standing next to the node, it dies in 5 seconds.

Keep an eye on its movement though since they can throw you off easily.

This post has been edited by Apt: 19 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

#139 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:14 AM

I got a switch for Christmas, it’s wonderful. Zelda is awesome, I haven’t even touched Mario yet. Getting the pro controller makes a huge difference. I’m still not convinced the library is going to be big enough for what I like to play, but I hope they keep up the good work.

We need a new Mario party and f-zero game. They also need to make old nes games and snes too available online to buy. I would drop stupid money to be able to rock some snes on the go.
Error: Signature not valid

#140 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:40 AM

There is a F Zero spiritual successor in Fast RMX. It's hard and fun.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users