• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Outlander Discussion Dedicated Thread

#81 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 29 October 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

Were you able to appreciate Roger more? I said something about gayness to. It gets kinda tedious repeating it.

Definitely. Roger has become far less annoying and more useful. It helps that Brianna is reciprocating and so he is not gawking anymore.

Sorry BK I don't remember your gay comment, was it towards the beginning in context of Randall?

#82 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

Middle of the day update:

Outlander Book 3: Voyager - Chapters 22-40
Spoiler

Hopefully I will be able to put in another marathon reading session today. BTW I read this while listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra and they go well together

#83 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

Finished Outlander 3

Oooh boy

This book is really strange. It has three distinct bits for me.
Spoiler

#84 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:38 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 30 October 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

I'd say coincidence 1 is more predictable then a coincidence. I saw that coming easily. Other stuff
Spoiler

Spoiler

#85 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

The coincidental meetings don't stop in book 4. And yeah it's one of the things that irritates me about Gabaldon's writing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#86 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:45 AM

I think that I am quite happy stopping where I am.I read the blurb for Book 4 and I am not at all eager for Brianna to come to the 18th C.

To anyone who has read ahead, are the Geillis Duncan bits explained at all?

#87 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 31 October 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 31 October 2016 - 12:45 AM, said:

I think that I am quite happy stopping where I am.I read the blurb for Book 4 and I am not at all eager for Brianna to come to the 18th C.

Your done with series?

For the moment yes. Its not about the issues I have with the writing, I just don't want to read about Brianna in the 18th C. I don't know why, its just one of those intangible issues. I have a bad feeling about it. Also I would feel better if the series was finished.

#88 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostAndorion, on 31 October 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

Your done with series?

For the moment yes. Its not about the issues I have with the writing, I just don't want to read about Brianna in the 18th C. I don't know why, its just one of those intangible issues. I have a bad feeling about it. Also I would feel better if the series was finished.

No Geillis explanations as of the end of Book 4...and I doubt it's in the offing.

I will say this. Brianna, Roger, Jamie AND Claire all feel in book 4 like they were written by a different person. I had to completely readjust to them as she chose to write them all differently in tone. That's not at all a selling point either.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#89 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 31 October 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

Bk3 my thoughts on the
Spoiler

Spoiler

#90 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

You see guys this is kind of my point. She leaves a lot hanging in the Geillis plot that really really needed an explanation. And I simply can't figure out why there was a serial killer plot to begin with. It added nothing to the main story.

And if these issues were not addressed in Book 4, and with the American rev story starting later, I don't think they will be addressed.

Maybe I will pick up Book 4 later. But for the moment, I am taking a break

#91 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostAndorion, on 31 October 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

You see guys this is kind of my point. She leaves a lot hanging in the Geillis plot that really really needed an explanation. And I simply can't figure out why there was a serial killer plot to begin with. It added nothing to the main story.

And if these issues were not addressed in Book 4, and with the American rev story starting later, I don't think they will be addressed.

Maybe I will pick up Book 4 later. But for the moment, I am taking a break

Fair enough indeed.

If, at this point, you can manage to get your hands on the first 2 seasons of the TV show, they are well worth watching! I think they get rid of a lot of the extra chaff in the books and slim it all down, which I feel benefits the story.

I'm looking fwd to S3 (book 3) in the new year....and then I KIND of hope that S4 makes Book 4 better.

#92 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 October 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 31 October 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

Your done with series?

No Geillis explanations as of the end of Book 4...and I doubt it's in the offing.

I will say this. Brianna, Roger, Jamie AND Claire all feel in book 4 like they were written by a different person. I had to completely readjust to them as she chose to write them all differently in tone. That's not at all a selling point either.

I think part of the problem is the shift to 3rd person narrative. There is not so much of it in book 2, and the Jaime parts in book 3 are ok, but from what I remember there is a lot of non-Claire POVs in book 4, and it doesn't work as well. Claire's first person POV is one of the things that makes the first books such a fun read.

And Gabaldon started to put the kitchen sink in.

#93 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'm busy writing during the National Novel Writing Month - need to get a few more words on my own epic saga. :) Not much time for reading right now. But I will be back.

This post has been edited by Gabriele: 08 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

#94 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:44 PM

Anyone still reading?

I treat Outlander much like Malazan (or any other book)... I just go along for the ride, skipping when I absolutely don't like something and not too worried if not everything makes perfect sense.

Bri in the 18th century works just fine - as for coincidences... I love them! The more the merrier :) If it was me writing them, there would probably be even more. So I hope Diana does not see and take notice of any of those comments earlier!

The change in style... Diana has said that she tries out a different writing style in each book. I guess she writes not just for the reader but for her own pleasure as well.

Anyway... keep reading - there is just so much fun ahead - although, you might need to get used to coincidences :doh:

#95 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 October 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

155 pgs into bk 4. Really liking it.

This bitch is hurting my hands something fucking fierce though. 1070 pgs..

I shudder to get to bks 5(1443) and 6(1483)...

You will likely overlap the new season a bit, but you'll have a good basis to watch the first few eps methinks.

I finished Book 6...as I said on thread, it is about a 600pg book hiding in the pages of a 1500pg one...that's a LOT of filler. Still, the stuff that was in there that is needed plot stuff was great.

Two more in the main series to catch up (ECHO IN BONE, and WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEARTS BLOOD)...and the in-world short story collection SEVEN STONES TO STAND OR FALL...which I am going to read before the two big volumes.

#96 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 October 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

Oh and there’s John Grey for you to read also. Can’t remember title

My sis in law says the John Grey novellas are boring

#97 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:18 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 October 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

They are not boring. Lord John, aka His Blurtness, is an interesting character who gets himself into crazy situations.

Most of them take place during the time Jamie is at Helwater in Voyager, thus a good place to read them is after Voyager. Lord John's role in later books makes more sense then. Diana gives a suggested reading order list on her site: http://www.dianagaba...tlander-series/

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

View PostGabriele, on 11 October 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 October 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

They are not boring. Lord John, aka His Blurtness, is an interesting character who gets himself into crazy situations.

Most of them take place during the time Jamie is at Helwater in Voyager, thus a good place to read them is after Voyager. Lord John's role in later books makes more sense then. Diana gives a suggested reading order list on her site: http://www.dianagaba...tlander-series/

Fair enough, even though she found them boring. I will likely check them out at some point down the road. I like Lord John as a character.

#99 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 November 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostBriar King, on 18 November 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

Not tagging this. Got to page 707 and the last bit of pages went from very good to cringing/eye rolling fucking and fighting afterwards like people in high school.

Sigh

Like enough to put this fucker down for the night it was so dumb.

Let's just get this out of the way. This is neither the first time you will feel this way about some of the books, nor the last. Thankfully the good stuff is good enough to make you forget the interminably bad stuff.

#100 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 November 2018 - 05:23 AM, said:

Man this woman is brutal like on a grimdark imo lvl to her characters.

And the first books have been shelved as Romance for years. :)

I'd never have discovered them if I had not found a left behind exemplar of the first one on a pub table and started reading. Stayed until the pub closed and bought my own and the sequel right the next day

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users