• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Outlander Discussion Dedicated Thread

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 20 October 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

Super agged. They gave me a silver/chrome cover bk 6 when it's supposed to be white. I want the white one! That's the only one I see at stores so why did I get this horrible eye soar of it?

Oh man, that sucks. Yeah, I'll be buying mine in store so I can make sure to get the white cover. The silver cover would just look weird next to the other solid colours in the series. As far as I could tell the silver was only used on the trade paperback versions in Canada, and the MMPB is white. Which reminds me, I'll need to grab books 5 and 6 soon.

View PostAndorion, on 21 October 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Outlander 2, chapters 18-23.

Not as much progress as I would have liked, but I am hopeful about the weekend.

Things are getting dark and messy.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, Ando, I know you're not watching the show (yet)...but when you are DONE book 2...check out the trailer for Season 2 (covers book 2) which I love due to the music and the cinematography (it's very much like a GoT trailer in tone and style). Don't watch it till you're done though as it might have spoilers in it of stuff you've not yet read.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:34 AM

Outlander 2, chapters 24-35

I suspect this may not be a popular update.
Spoiler

#43 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:00 AM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 04:55 AM, said:

Glad you finally brought up Raymond! BLUEEEEE! He is the one I was talking about earlier. Very interesting. The show drops many more sly hints about him then the bk. The ep dealing with this seg is the one that almost undid me. It aired the same week as Hold the Door GoT ep and I found this much more emo then that one.

Yeah, but where do you stand regarding the points I made?

#44 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

You state pretty spot on. It's the most aggregating so far bit that I've read of the series and hoping it stays that way! Sorry there's not more but you know I'm not wordy lol! I'm sure QT will have fresh fingers in the morn.

My thoughts on R....
Spoiler

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

Charles is a douche nozzle in both bk/show.

Don't get me wrong BK, I am extremely interested in Raymond, but everything else had me extremely pissed. If I wasn't fascinated by a lot of things, I might have actually dropped the series. As it is, I am going to read future relationship dynamics with a much more critical eye.

Spoiler

#45 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 October 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoilers for books 3 and 4:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Gabriele: 22 October 2016 - 12:35 PM

#46 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Damn it hit you that hard? That sucks. I can say there's been nothing quite that frustrating again in what I've gotten to. I'm sure Gab can say a yes or no response on it.

I ll also say that it more or less all has a pt to it in the end.

Spoiler book 4
Spoiler

#47 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

Dang, I keep spelling the name Jaime instead of Jamie. Thank you, GRRM. :unsure:

#48 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

Regarding Jamie being an alpha male, I think the applicable term is "alphahole" Ilona Andrews wrote a rather interesting essay on it.

Spoiler

#49 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Damn it hit you that hard? That sucks. I can say there's been nothing quite that frustrating again in what I've gotten to. I'm sure Gab can say a yes or no response on it.

I ll also say that it more or less all has a pt to it in the end.

BK see my new comment on why I got so mad

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

Spoiler

Okay, let's see if I can parse this down a bit.

Spoiler

Hopefully that makes sense Ando. Hopefully this won't make you give up the series, as it's still awesome and the second hald of book 2 is fantastic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#51 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hopefully that makes sense Ando. Hopefully this won't make you give up the series, as it's still awesome and the second hald of book 2 is fantastic.

Good reply QT. If I ever screw up, I want you in my corner, arguing for me.Posted Image

Now for my replies:
Spoiler

I am not dropping the series yet though.

#52 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 October 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Good reply QT. If I ever screw up, I want you in my corner, arguing for me.Posted Image

Now for my replies:
Spoiler

Spoiler

#53 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:35 AM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Minor gripe about bk quality. 3 is so large and cramping my hands I'm having to handle it a bit dif and I discovered a spine crease right around the 800pg mark and I'm furious. I never crease my bks! If not for finger oil marks on my pb bks I could stick them right back on store shelf. Grr

One of the three reasons I primarily read ebooks. Fat books are very difficult to maintain while reading. In this respect I have found that old hardbacks - published in 60s or 70s have better binding.

#54 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:58 AM

View PostGabriele, on 22 October 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 October 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Now for my replies:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#55 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Minor gripe about bk quality. 3 is so large and cramping my hands I'm having to handle it a bit dif and I discovered a spine crease right around the 800pg mark and I'm furious. I never crease my bks! If not for finger oil marks on my pb bks I could stick them right back on store shelf. Grr

I hate creasing spines. The Outlander paperbacks at least have decent cover; some publishers use a cheap cardboard that will crease now matter how careful you are. I replaced my set of Cullough's Master of Rome books a few years ago because of the spines; the new covers are better. The old Penguin Classics sucked, too - on a black spine the creases will stand out even more.

#56 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

Outlander 2 finished!

So lots of stuff happened

Spoiler

Question: Has anyone here read upto Outlander 5? The books keep on getting longer after this apparently, and I want to know about the constistency of the quality.

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

View PostAndorion, on 23 October 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Outlander 2 finished!

Spoiler

Question: Has anyone here read upto Outlander 5? The books keep on getting longer after this apparently, and I want to know about the constistency of the quality.

I'm sure Gabrielle has read past 5...I'm 3/4 through 4...no dip in writing quality at all...but without getting into spoilers...you need to understand that things are going to shift as Scotland becomes largely calm after the Rising is put down...so prepare for a narrative shift away from impending war and such...I'll not say more. Book 3 was fantastic and book 4 is shaping up for the same.

#58 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

Good to know about the quality... yeah it makes sense that things shift from Scotland for the time being.

I will pick up book 3 in a couple of days

#59 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:05 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 23 October 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Ugh motherfucker! I'm pissed! Bk3 stuff
Spoiler

Spoiler
]

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 October 2016 - 11:06 PM

#60 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 October 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 23 October 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Outlander 2 finished!

Spoiler

I'm sure Gabrielle has read past 5...I'm 3/4 through 4...no dip in writing quality at all...but without getting into spoilers...you need to understand that things are going to shift as Scotland becomes largely calm after the Rising is put down...so prepare for a narrative shift away from impending war and such...I'll not say more. Book 3 was fantastic and book 4 is shaping up for the same.

I've only read up to book 4 years ago. Book 3 is very good, but I got a feeling that there's more bloat in the following books, plus I didn't care that much about the non-Scotland settings, so I gave up part into book 5. Maybe I'll give it a second try.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users