• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soccer/Football/Futbol/Whatever in general The round ball game

#941 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:15 AM

So March 21st, looks like that is the date that Liverpool wins the league. And if things get real wacky, it could occur earlier, on March 16th.

#942 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:44 PM

Holy crap, Man City banned from CL footbal for two seasons due to financial misconduct.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#943 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#944 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:49 PM

Why is anyone surprised?
They were fined nearly Ł50m in 2014 for the same shenanigans.

Does this mean 5th now becomes a qualifying spot, at the minute, we could see Sheffield United in the CL!

Also, no CL, that's what Pepe was brought in to do, if he don't win it this season he's gonna leave, and I see a few big names flying the coop with him.

If this ban sticks

#945 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

Stop Macros my smile can only get so wide!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#946 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:22 PM

Yeah, team 5th on the table will get in. Still hope for my Spurs (and Wolves? *fingerscrossed).

But I'm confused about the Man. City allegations. Isn't there pretty much no constraints on clubs in the pro leagues in Europe who have the money and want to spend it? Man. City is up there with United and Barca and Real Madrid as far as value and money they can spend, yeah? So, what did they do?

#947 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 15 February 2020 - 11:22 PM, said:

Yeah, team 5th on the table will get in. Still hope for my Spurs (and Wolves? *fingerscrossed).

But I'm confused about the Man. City allegations. Isn't there pretty much no constraints on clubs in the pro leagues in Europe who have the money and want to spend it? Man. City is up there with United and Barca and Real Madrid as far as value and money they can spend, yeah? So, what did they do?

https://www.news.com...7b9dd446db233ae

Manchester City, one of the biggest football clubs in the world, have been banned from all UEFA competitions for the next two seasons and fined $A48m for “serious breaches” of Financial Fair Play regulations.

The stunning ban was handed down by the governing body after the Adjudicatory Chamber of the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) found the reigning English Premier League champs guilty of serious breaches of the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play (FFP) Regulations.

FFP was introduced in 2011 in order to stop European clubs overspending on player wages, restricting the amount owners are able to use of their own cash to cover losses.

In a statement, UEFA said City “overstated its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016”.

The club were also found guilty of “failing to co-operate in the investigation of this case by the CFCB”.

The punishment prevents them from playing in any European competition, including the Europa League, until the 2022-23 season. It could have a significant impact on the club’s ability to sign players and retain manager Pep Guardiola, whose contract expires next season.

“The adjudicatory chamber, having considered all the evidence, has found that Manchester City Football Club committed serious breaches of the UEFA club licensing and financial fair play regulations by overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016,” UEFA said in a statement.

https://www.news.com...4b0fd67a8232120

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 15 February 2020 - 11:42 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#948 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:47 PM

Actually, there are constraints called 'Financial Fair Play', which was introduced back in 2013. In essence, FFP is a UEFA rule that forces all European clubs to work within their financial means. In other words, clubs are not allowed to spend massively more than they earn. This rule was introduced to avoid rich owners just pumping millions in a club and thus unfairly influencing European competitions and potentially pushing clubs to bankrupty. Man City claimed that they were earning lots of money from their sponsor contract with Etihad Airlines, but it has now been shown that of the circa 70 million pounds they claimed they got, only 8 million was sponsor money. The rest was actually paid directly by the owner, who also owns that airline. So UEFA accused Man City of deception and flaunting FFP rules.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#949 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:48 PM

Oh, or what Tsundoku said.

#950 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:19 AM

Damn, aint that the way of it though. Accounting fuckery to skirt the rules. A universal axiom that rings all too familiar.

I like Pep. I hope he comes out of this okay and finds himself at another team. One scenario: OGS out at Man. U? Enter Pep? That would be fun, wouldn't it? I like OGS though, so would hate to see him forced out.

#951 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:31 AM

Hah getting Pep at United would seriously annoy the City lot...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#952 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

No chance Pepe goes to United.

Not being a wise made, it's too much of a rebuilding job. That's not his style.

He walks into pre made teams and makes them better, see a Barca team already dominant, a treble winning Bayern and a city team full of money and superstars.
Poch far more likely at United.

Regards the FFP rules, sigh, yes I agree a with them on one hand, in the other it just leaves the superfluous at such an advantage, who can compete with the financial clout of the European elite without outside investment?

I think the rules need looked at and tweaked a bit. Just a cap on spending fullstop would solve the issues imo. I mean wages, and transfers.

I think if the FA follow through it will take the sheen off their 100 point haul (undeservedly so, but that's how the media works these days) and won't damage Pepe's rep, but he will be classed a failure at city if he doesn't win the CL and leaves with these doubts over his domestic titles.

#953 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:32 AM

So, is Atlético Madrid gonna solve the riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma and knockout those pud slapping Liverpudlians? Thus ending their treble wet dreams?

#954 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:36 AM

If you're going to use a Hitler reference, Klopp is surely the wrong person in the world at the minute as a target? (Cough bojo or trump cough)

But yeah, I was always apprehensive about this one, ignoring all the media spiel about Madrid not performing, a transition year, bla bla bla. Simione is a brilliant manager and his team's are usually Hella tough to break down. Disciplined and organised at the back, they saw Firminos game play and lumped a man in the hole he likes to play in. Mane on a yellow and getting fired up he had to be subbed alas, and he was getting the most joy down the left, Origi just didn't scare them as much when he came on.

I'm not massively worried, Anfield is a different cauldron, especially on a European night when a result is needed. I would say it will be a real test of the nerve and togetherness of this new Athletico side when we come out at 100mph in three weeks time. If they get a draw or a 1 goal scoring loss I'd back them to the semis, if they take both sides score win at Anfield I'd back them to the final. If they win and keep a clean sheet I'd back them to win the whole thing

#955 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

A 1-0 is only a minimal defeat and it should be doable for Liverpool to overturn that at Anfield. Still, it would have been better to have a 2-1 outcome or somesuch. Lack of an away goal will really be the difference maker here, I suspect. Especially because Atletico are so tight in the back. If Liverpool concedes even once at home, it is probably game over. Don't see them netting more than two goals against Atletico.

I'll probably look like an absolute fool next month when Liverpool score 3-4 goals, but hey ho.

#956 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 February 2020 - 12:19 AM, said:

Damn, aint that the way of it though. Accounting fuckery to skirt the rules. A universal axiom that rings all too familiar.

I like Pep. I hope he comes out of this okay and finds himself at another team. One scenario: OGS out at Man. U? Enter Pep? That would be fun, wouldn't it? I like OGS though, so would hate to see him forced out.

If Sarri does not manage to win the title with them, Juventus seems the most likely destination.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#957 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 February 2020 - 01:15 AM, said:

So March 21st, looks like that is the date that Liverpool wins the league. And if things get real wacky, it could occur earlier, on March 16th.

Sky Sports coverage says just four more wins (12 pts) and Liverpool wins it. So that would be March 21 against Crystal Palace? Could it happen earlier?

#958 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:54 PM

If city or Leicester choke and don't win any more then yes

#959 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:29 PM

Watford gave Liverpool a what for. <<<< see what I did there? Look at me making an attempt to build rapport with my British friends across the pond. Posted Image

3 - 0 final score. A chink in the armor of Liverpool been revealed?

#960 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:00 AM

WTF = Wat The Ford.

Interesting metaphor from an online article:

" ... They were simply awful, impotent in attack, flaccid in midfield and limp at the back ... "

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 01 March 2020 - 12:05 AM

Share this topic:

• 83 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users