Malazan Empire: My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman - Malazan Empire

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman & I need your help!

#221 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 11 September 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

mal where in the world are you?

legit u seem like the guy id enjoy having drinks while chirping.

I found my paradise after all - it's a place called Salt Spring Island and it's in Canada (D'rek). I'm generally good with open-minded people, not so much with the other kind.

#222 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

I'm going to share something with you people - For a couple of years now, I have this feeling that death is close, so I have no fucking patience with any species of bullshit. I really do live my life as if every day was my last because I think it might be. You might think I'm being dramatic or overstating it for effect but I assure you I'm not. I feel that death is close every moment of my life. I acknowledge, however, that this might be because I have found no way to control it and so I have to acknowledge its power over me so...if I can't control it I rush towards it - I won't let it control me but of course it is always controlling me but it's an empowering sort of feeling - I just don't give a fuck about anybody else's feelings. I don't think that feelings need protecting. Words are wind, right? What the fuck are you doing with your life? You could die tomorrow and what will you have accomplished? That's how I approach my day every day and it has payed dividends because I am a hardcore bastard and no fucker takes advantage of me. This simple reality gives me satisfaction. It shouldn't really, everything is as meaningless as everything else but it's personal pride I end up living for, which is fucking weird and wrong but also all I've got in a world chock-full of worthless fools. What the fuck else can you do? It's an honest question - I'm curious if any of you have any alternative strategies

#223 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:45 AM

View Postamphibian, on 12 September 2016 - 04:45 AM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 11 September 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 09 September 2016 - 03:24 AM, said:

I don't know why Mal wants people to "hate" him or "fight" with him in order to sustain interest here.

I mean, I tuned out all of the Star Trek stuff and my experience was still a fun one.

If he literally wants to fight, I'll take him up on that offer though. Me fite gut.

You are such an insufferable clunge. Why?! Why are you this way? You're not stupid. "If he literally wants to fight...Me fite gut" - really? You grapple good, I get that and that's cool. I would devour you in conversation and if it came to it, I would feed you to my dogs.

Your debate prowess consists solely of trying to insult the other person while trying to skate by with a thin thin veneer of pretend competence over a void of "Not invested in any of this at all". There's no discernable purpose to this either.

Oh my gods, you're the board Trump.

This is your rejoinder- whining about my tactics. Defeat my tactics, force me to develop new tactics! All of this is just whining. "trying to insult" - no, I'd say I succeed almost always when I intend to insult - there is no try. Pretend competence? You like to imagine yourself a bit of a wordsmith but you've failed to notice how little sense you make with your amateurish constructions. I have this weird but thankfully fading interest in you and whatever fucked-up scenario gave rise to you but really, you have nothing interesting to say. I just threatened to feed you to my dogs and this is what you come back with? Give your head a shake and do something different with your life. The path you're on ends in mindless mediocrity, or so I imagine. In any case, you're deadly boring and you can't even stand up for yourself despite how "gut you fite". Get over yourself.

#224 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:48 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 12 September 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

I'm going to share something with you people - For a couple of years now, I have this feeling that death is close, so I have no fucking patience with any species of bullshit. I really do live my life as if every day was my last because I think it might be. You might think I'm being dramatic or overstating it for effect but I assure you I'm not. I feel that death is close every moment of my life. I acknowledge, however, that this might be because I have found no way to control it and so I have to acknowledge its power over me so...if I can't control it I rush towards it - I won't let it control me but of course it is always controlling me but it's an empowering sort of feeling - I just don't give a fuck about anybody else's feelings. I don't think that feelings need protecting. Words are wind, right? What the fuck are you doing with your life? You could die tomorrow and what will you have accomplished? That's how I approach my day every day and it has payed dividends because I am a hardcore bastard and no fucker takes advantage of me. This simple reality gives me satisfaction. It shouldn't really, everything is as meaningless as everything else but it's personal pride I end up living for, which is fucking weird and wrong but also all I've got in a world chock-full of worthless fools. What the fuck else can you do? It's an honest question - I'm curious if any of you have any alternative strategies

I'm the exact opposite really.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#225 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 September 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 11 September 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 September 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 11 September 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 05 September 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

Again, I don't buy it. Any nation out for whole-scale destruction is going to be isolated and pounded upon by other nations. Any group of individuals out to cause large-scale mayhem will want to preserve themselves and therefore make sure that at least some people survive. And finally the suicidal nutcases are usually isolated incidents or loners in which case they lack the scale and impact for wholesale destruction, or it is organisations like ISIS who get fanatics to blow themselves up but the people behind it want to live to see a new world and they need people for that. Nuclear bombs will leave survivors, deadly viruses will leave survivors. Nobody is going to willfully destroy a planet that they themselves are on or if they do they lack the followers to achieve a global impact. 100% termination of the species is simply not realistic. The only way to manage that is through a cataclysmic event (big rock from outer space or sun collapse) or accidental termination such as destroying the ozone layer. And even in the latter event you'll probably have some underground survivors. Or some sort of sterility virus, but again with the current state of human medicine we may even be able to find a solution to that.

You don't understand people. We are eminently capable of destroying this place and if you imagine otherwise, you are fooling yourself. I think it might be useful for you and I to have a private conversation about this because I know where you're coming from, it's nice to believe that the people around you would make the right choice if they were pressed but, with Brexit, we know that's not the case. A racist underclass has been created in both the United Kingdom and America - well to be honest, it's always existed in America and if you can motivate those people to vote you get Trump and it's madness.The current political strife in America is deliciously similar to the most outrageous Roman political antics from history. I would giggle my ass off if Trump waded into the ocean with a squad of Navy SEALs and ordered them to conquer the sea. That's how fucking crazy it has become down there. We tend to get Cascadian Americans which is a blessing because they tend to be forward-thinking liberals and we get along just fine. Gorefest, honestly, you just lack a firm grasp of the facts but I forgive you for that. If you feel that you have a position that you can defend then we should continue via PM. Nothing would please me more. All of my best friends have given up, quite frankly and I crave fresh meat.

Just as past near-extinction-level events caused rapid human progress (see https://en.wikipedia...astrophe_theory for example---or the Black Plague) in the past, they suggest the potential for vastly accelerated development of transhumanist adaptations (if they aren't happening already in private).

It's highly unlikely that *all* human life would be wiped out in a single moment (or even one fateful, classic, tragic day: "Le jour n'est pas plus pur que le fond de mon nu coeur"). Therefore:
https://www.youtube....h?v=JzSMjSxM5Vo

Jesus water-walking Christ! And people call me crazy! A natural catastrophe is one thing and is likely subsumed by your tidy little theory but a human-caused catastrophe is decidedly not. I sense a willingness to engage on your part which I respect but this is too juvenile an idea to take seriously. Also, an asteroid could finish us all so the only interesting and important thing is to get off this rock. Anything else is just waiting to be victim to cosmic happenstance.

Would an asteroid kill everyone instantly? Or even within a day? Perhaps if it were the size of a small moon; otherwise, no.

After the initial impact (with its attendant earthquakes, volcanic erruptions, and fires), what will end up killing most people is starvation.

But we have produced ridiculous amounts of food, and even if all the non-perishable food ran out, we can produce sufficient food without sunlight (or soil (hydrophonics), or workers (automation, crude AI)); we can produce artificial sunlight using nuclear energy.

There are already many old fall-out shelters from the Cold War. They can be improved on for other doomsday scenarios. Especially if the alternative is imminent death.

So some of the super-rich would survive in their shelters, while almost all the rest of the animal and plant life died. (Some people with access to non-perishable food may survive. The harsh conditions could drastically increase the rate of natural selection, and motivate technological innovation---relative to whatever technology they have left and can power. Just like what happened when that supervolcano errupted about 70,000 years ago, blotted out the sun, and killed almost all humans.)

Currently, transhumanism is being held back by:
- Government regulations on "unethical" human testing
- Fear of being a test subject because of possible negative health consequences (like death)
- Funds and technological / scientific labor being devoted to trivia or to other questions

Against the pressing threat of near-future extinction, these concerns would seem trivial. Transhumanism could flourish underground, among the offspring of the super-rich. Meanwhile, a perhaps smaller number of lucky mutant poor people would be rapidly evolving (if not transforming into birds...) to continue living even after all the available non-perishable food runs out.

But false vacuum decay could wipe out all life (on Earth) at any moment:

'The walls of the true vacuum bubble would expand in all directions at the speed of light. You wouldn't see it coming. The walls can contain a huge amount of energy, so you might be incinerated as the bubble wall ploughed through you. Different vacuum states have different constants of nature, so the basic structure of matter might also be disastrously altered. But it could be even worse: in 1980, theoretical physicists Sidney Coleman and Frank De Luccia calculated for the first time that any bubble of true vacuum would immediately suffer total gravitational collapse.

They say: "This is disheartening. The possibility that we are living in a false vacuum has never been a cheering one to contemplate. Vacuum decay is the ultimate ecological catastrophe; in a new vacuum there are new constants of nature; after vacuum decay, not only is life as we know it impossible, so is chemistry as we know it.

"However, one could always draw stoic comfort from the possibility that perhaps in the course of time the new vacuum would sustain, if not life as we know it, at least some creatures capable of knowing joy. This possibility has now been eliminated."'

https://cosmosmagazi...ate-catastrophe

What about human-caused catastrophes? Which ones are you referring to? Airborn pathogens? If they don't kill everyone almost instantly, some (most likely super-rich) people will survive, even if they have to wear something like space-suits to walk on the surface. Massive nuclear war? Unless it literally destroys the planet itself, refurbished and technologically improved fall-out shelters would suffice (and, as with asteroids, the same impetus towards technological adaptation and transhuman experimentation would hold... and it might even be better for any people who can survive outside the shelters, if the radiation increases their rate of mutation and allows natural selection to happen much more rapidly... though the more likely, and epochal, benefit is the move towards transhumanism).

Finally someone with a fucking imagination! I'm all worn out now from dealing with the usual cunthammers. I'll come back to you in a day or two. It's busy here in paradise :killingme:

#226 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:59 AM

Trying to insult seems more accurate to me.

Repetitively calling people wankrags, cunthammers and telling them to eat a bag of dicks is actually far less insulting than you assume. Feeding to your dogs? Bah, that even got overused on a certain widely watched fantasy series.

Try harder. Or just don't bother?

Regarding your following post though - do you really believe that you have to have some accomplishment in life in order to have made it all worthwhile? I can't bring myself to agree with that whole 'unobserved life is not worth living' philosophy.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#227 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:59 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 12 September 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

No offense to everyone here but when the day comes that I feel like this^^ I won't be spending my last (perceived) days with you guys in the Inn. Especially if one of my other options is lounging on a hammock on a nice island in up-state Washington. :killingme:

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#228 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

It's also a really inconsiderate thing because someone who's not giving "a fuck about anybody else's feelings" and calling everything bullshit is essentially turning their own life into one tiny American political Tea Party. That's not pleasant to deal with for others and a large percentage of "bullshit" as called by that one person is not actually bullshit. Being Holden Caulfield ain't fun.

I'm also extremely loath to consign everyone else on the planet to the bin of "worthless fools". The main goal of Erikson's Malazan series appears to be the slow upping our utilization of our empathy and context awareness. Mal claims to love these books so much he'll host Erikson, stay on these forums, be an advance reader etc, yet he's calling everyone worthless fools, using tired old slang for a woman's vagina to degrade people, and telling someone that their dream is shit. So... what did Mal get from the series then?

You know what? I don't like your posturing. I don't like that you need to tell people that they're horrible in order to feel good yourself. I am glad you're getting professional help, but maybe I'm gonna avoid your threads from now on because you're not fun or interesting to be around. I thought some levity would help you get out of the "this is awful and I am not dealing so well with it" mindset. Nah.

Nah to you, nah to your ever-changing demands for human interaction, and nah to your unwillingness to treat people with respect.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 12 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#229 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 September 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

It's also a really inconsiderate thing because someone who's not giving "a fuck about anybody else's feelings" and calling everything bullshit is essentially turning their own life into one tiny American political Tea Party. That's not pleasant to deal with for others and a large percentage of "bullshit" as called by that one person is not actually bullshit. Being Holden Caulfield ain't fun.

I'm also extremely loath to consign everyone else on the planet to the bin of "worthless fools". The main goal of Erikson's Malazan series appears to be the slow upping our utilization of our empathy and context awareness. Mal claims to love these books so much he'll host Erikson, stay on these forums, be an advance reader etc, yet he's calling everyone worthless fools, using tired old slang for a woman's vagina to degrade people, and telling someone that their dream is shit. So... what did Mal get from the series then?

You know what? I don't like your posturing. I don't like that you need to tell people that they're horrible in order to feel good yourself. I am glad you're getting professional help, but maybe I'm gonna avoid your threads from now on because you're not fun or interesting to be around. I thought some levity would help you get out of the "this is awful and I am not dealing so well with it" mindset. Nah.

Nah to you, nah to your ever-changing demands for human interaction, and nah to your unwillingness to treat people with respect.

Nah, Mal totally is in line with SE's message in the books! They're all about compassion, and here's the dictionary definition of compassion:

Posted Image

#230 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:31 PM

So let me get this straight: if you put peanut butter and jelly on a hot dog bun and closed it up, you still wouldn't consider that a sandwich?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#231 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

Hey Mal just got to this thread late - so much horse shit to wade through but great to be reminded of the crucible of pressure and need.

You and me with a fire in your yard. Akevit flamers -lots of chicken for Illy. Talking cricket over a beer. It will happen

This post has been edited by Fid: 12 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

#232 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:33 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 12 September 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 11 September 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

mal where in the world are you?

legit u seem like the guy id enjoy having drinks while chirping.

I found my paradise after all - it's a place called Salt Spring Island and it's in Canada (D'rek). I'm generally good with open-minded people, not so much with the other kind.

oh dammm your allllll the way over there.

Ill keep a mental note for when i next go to BC

#233 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

Sandwich???

Posted Image

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#234 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

I'll allow it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#235 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

View PostD, on 13 September 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Sandwich???

Posted Image

It's interesting how most "Westerners" are so eager to touch bread with their hands and put it in their mouths, but doing the same with meat is generally seen as unsanitary (if not quite insane). Sylvia Plath iirc wrote that she thought she fell in love with Ted Hughes when she saw him daringly eating lettuce with his fingers at a restaurant.

If meat can substitute for sandwiching bread... I'm reminded of this great article on what medieval European court cuisine was actually like:

"Animals were stuffed inside other animals like culinary matrioshka dolls—a pig stuffed with a rooster, which would itself be stuffed with roasted pine nuts and sugar. [...] Food coloring was used liberally: red (sandalwood), yellow (saffron), green (mint or parsley juice), black (burnt bread crumbs)." Animals sandwiched inside animals sandwiched inside animals covered in the scattered sandwiching of burnt black bread crumbs like black
Spoiler

http://www.slate.com...al_fiction.html

But if we analyze sandwiches topologically, and refuse to allow wraps to be sandwiches... is a mille-feuille ("Napoleon") by that definition an ordered set of sandwiches inside sandwiches inside sandwiches?

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

#236 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

Sandwich???

Posted Image

It needs a second piece of bread. Then absolutely.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#237 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

View PostVengeance, on 13 September 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

Sandwich???

Posted Image

It needs a second piece of bread. Then absolutely.

Meatwich.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#238 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

This thread reminded me of The Show, man that was a good year

#239 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 12 September 2016 - 06:09 AM, said:

I think you overestimate human nature.

And I think you underestimate it. So where does that leave us? Me naive or you nihilistic? Brandishing your opinion as fact doesn't make it true, it just makes you sound dogmatic. Human nature is a meaningless term, as it implies a single deterministic tendency to react in a specific way when social boundaries are removed.

Whereas the reality is that people react in different ways based on the situation and past experiences, the latter component being something that we are exceptionally good at as a species due to our huge frontal cortex. We can reflect and analyse, and we can empathise and predict knock-on effects of our actions. Sure, violence is an important driver of human behaviour and evolution, but so is cooperation and reconcilliation.

In fact, I know that you have a false sense of human decency. I appreciate that you've made a real effort here and I applaud it but you're still wrong. Without looming punishment for misdeeds as defined by some overarching power, we go kill-crazy as a species.

We certainly are among the most violent of species, I won't deny that. But we also are among the most empathic and social. The primal instincts are there, but we also have the mental capacity to recognise these instincts and decide to act on them or refrain to do so. Sure, strip the social veneer of humanity and we will be at each other's throat, a great one-liner for the superficial cynic. But that social veneer is exactly what separates us from base instinct driven animals: it's a set of moral guidelines and social codes which educate us in applying our frontal cortex, our homunculus or sense of self, at recognising the instinctive behaviours that are detrimental and those that are constructive to our personal and group improvement.

We do, and there's good reasons for it. We have millions of years of training on the african savannah, the most gradated pyramid of predators anywhere. At heart, we're paranoid savannah apes and we are the super-predator and that's how we find ourselves in the position we're in. We're the best, the most extreme at killing. A wolf snatches an infant from a tent, we kill the whole pack. It's how we've always been. It's our nature - absent the visceral reality of taking lives, we sublimate it into ridiculous social posturing. Bah.

Choose to focus on the negative aspects and all you will see are negative things. You focus on the innate tendency of humans to harm and hurt and then drive that train of thought to its inevitable terminal which is total species annihilation, because it appeals to your nihilistic world view. If that floats your boat, by all means wallow in fatalism. However, there are many more aspects to human behaviour and evolutionary adaptibility which can lead to a plethora of outcomes. In my opinion it is far braver and more constructive to face such inherent demons and fight them in yourself and your surroundings in an attempt to let nurture beat nature, than to sit there triumphantly declaring the inevitable demise of humanity while looking smug in your self-imposed self-destruction.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#240 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

Seems like both of you are making a lot of assumptions about what constitutes "instinct" in humans. By what evidence are you asserting that a drive to "harm" and "hurt" are innate human qualities, as opposed to impulses derived from other factors?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

61 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 61 guests, 0 anonymous users