Malazan Empire: My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman - Malazan Empire

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman & I need your help!

#41 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

View Postchamp, on 02 September 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

We don't want Mal to bring down the cunthammer, best get it back on track...

Here is a question for you to chew on, Mal.

Is civilisation doomed or can it be turned around and if so... how?

Our species is almost certainly doomed in the long term if left to our own devices so the only chance to avert this is strong AI (or aliens of course). The broken-down idealist in me says it's all to play for, there's still a chance. I'm a pretty cynical bastard but they just cracked Go/Wei chi/Baduk which was an impossibility when I was in my 20's and I count that as a serious milestone. The way it was explained to me was that a human was untouchable at whole-board evaluation. In the Game of Go, you have 361 points on the board - you can play absolutely anywhere and in the same way that 19th century anthropologists said that primates just couldn't make tools or modify tools or make tools specifically for the purpose of modifying other tools and had to backtrack and apologize for being wrong about all that shit. The machine is coming and for myself, I reckon the best possible future for the human species is to have our consciousness uploaded into machines. If we can't achieve that then our legacy will be our machines that live on after our extinction and we should plan for that as well. Verdict: Almost certainly doomed, and deservedly so. What an outrageous mob of cunts we've been all this time. It's shocking and embarrassing.

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 04 September 2016 - 06:43 AM

#42 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 02 September 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

View PostKing Lear, on 02 September 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

So where would this fit into the scheme of things?

Posted Image

Looks like an emergency solution :rtfm:

And I guess I have hijacked the thread. Sorry Mal.

What in screaming fuck is this? The fetish you people have with pointless nonsense does my fucking head in! Whatever, it's fine, enjoy ...that

#43 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:07 AM

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 02 September 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

View Postchamp, on 02 September 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 02 September 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 02 September 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

View PostApt, on 02 September 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

Mal, is a hot dog a sandwich?

That is heresy.

No it's not a sandwich, because the bread is one whole enveloping bun. If it had been split, then yes, it would be a sandwich.

What the fuck.
It is definitely a sandwich. You have meet inside bread. That's the most stereotypical sandwich thing possible.

No. For sandwich you need two slices of bread. For a hotdog you use a bread roll (Is this really the right word? Sounds somehow wrong)

But you cut the bun in half effectively creating two slices of roll...

Okay, that may be a Germany-only thing, but for me two slices of bread with meat/cheese/etc in between are a sandwich/Belegtes Brot. Slicing a bun/Brötchen into two results in a Belegtes Brötchen. Maybe you call this a sandwich as well, but here those two things are something different. :rtfm:

Belegtes brot is "open-faced sandwich" - which is pizza.

Belegtes brotchen is "sandwich".

I posit that once you fold up the open-faced sandwich to mostly enclose the filling (meat, vegetable, fruit etc.), it becomes a belegtes brotchen. Altering the topology of the food alters the classification.

Thus a hot dog on a single piece of bread is a sandwich in waiting. That belegtes brot is waiting for one to grip it, fold it, and scarf it as a belegtes brotchen.

And thus a taco is the same category of sandwich as a hot dog. Burritos too.

This is the literary equivalent of a hairless man fellating himself. Jesus fucking christ amph, have you any notion of what an insufferable wanker you present as? Belegtes brotchen? The only reasons anybody says or types something like this is to lord themselves over people who aren't familiar with those terms. I'm an asshole, I admit, but I'm fucking honest about it and I'll give you credit if you catch me out on any individual point and I'm even happy to lose any particular argument and apologize for whatever offensive things I may have said in defense of whatever wrong opinion I may have wrongly defended but that's because my main interest is in truth. If I've been wrong about everything my whole life I would choose to know the truth (disclaimer motherfuckers: DO NOT SEND ME ANY RELIGIOUS MATERIAL - I've read it all and it is all just old people taking advantage of young people). This time right now ought to be about young people saying no more, what a pack of lies we've been operating under and we're not going to tolerate it anymore and there's hopeful energy in that direction so fingers crossed.

#44 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 03 September 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

Seriously? You contribute to this thread with an embedded music video and no comment? What the fuck are we to make of that? I like the song and I don't mind listening to it but it's odd to just interject in that way, isn't it? The weirdest thing for me is how fucking awkward people are.

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 04 September 2016 - 07:13 AM

#45 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

View Postamphibian, on 03 September 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 03 September 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

What? No. That is completely wrong.

A pizza is a complete flatbread, topped with tomatosauce, cheese and other things. It is not a slice of bread topped with something.

And the number of slices has nothing to do with the differentiation in belegtes Brot and belegtes Brötchen. You can eat both open-faced. But slice of bread and a bun/Brötchen are different things. Do you see the difference?

Okay, we are back. Mal, what is you opinion about Sandwiches, Pizza, Bread, Tacos and Burritos? :rtfm:

A sandwich does not require a slice of bread. It can be an entire loaf of bread on one side, the filling, and an entire loaf of bread on the other side. All that is required is that bread mostly or entirely surrounds the filling.

A pizza instantly becomes a sandwich once parts of it are folded upwards for the eating. If one eats pizza without a fold, then one is not eating a sandwich.

I dunno what you're talking about with the open-faced brotchen tho.

Okay, my main problem with your last post was your interpretation of Belegtes Brot and Belegtes Brötchen, as it was completely wrong. It has nothing to do with the number of slices of bread you use. Both can be open-faced or not. I already came to the conclusion that English lacks a proper word to describe the difference as both foods are called a sandwich.

Serious question: How did you call the combination of bread - something else - bread before the Earl of Sandwich decided that he invented it? There has to be another word.

So a canapé is a pizza as well? It may be okay to describe a Tarte Flambee as some kind of pizza, but I'm pretty sure that not everything can be called a pizza. According to your definition an open-faced sandwich would also be a pizza.

#46 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:23 AM

Less than 24 hours to sleep-off. Thanks for your participation :rtfm:

#47 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 04 September 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 02 September 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

View Postchamp, on 02 September 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 02 September 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 02 September 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

View PostApt, on 02 September 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

That is heresy.

No it's not a sandwich, because the bread is one whole enveloping bun. If it had been split, then yes, it would be a sandwich.

What the fuck.
It is definitely a sandwich. You have meet inside bread. That's the most stereotypical sandwich thing possible.

No. For sandwich you need two slices of bread. For a hotdog you use a bread roll (Is this really the right word? Sounds somehow wrong)

But you cut the bun in half effectively creating two slices of roll...

Okay, that may be a Germany-only thing, but for me two slices of bread with meat/cheese/etc in between are a sandwich/Belegtes Brot. Slicing a bun/Brötchen into two results in a Belegtes Brötchen. Maybe you call this a sandwich as well, but here those two things are something different. :rtfm:

Belegtes brotchen is "sandwich".

I posit that once you fold up the open-faced sandwich to mostly enclose the filling (meat, vegetable, fruit etc.), it becomes a belegtes brotchen. Altering the topology of the food alters the classification.

Thus a hot dog on a single piece of bread is a sandwich in waiting. That belegtes brot is waiting for one to grip it, fold it, and scarf it as a belegtes brotchen.

And thus a taco is the same category of sandwich as a hot dog. Burritos too.

This is the literary equivalent of a hairless man fellating himself. Jesus fucking christ amph, have you any notion of what an insufferable wanker you present as? Belegtes brotchen? The only reasons anybody says or types something like this is to lord themselves over people who aren't familiar with those terms. I'm an asshole, I admit, but I'm fucking honest about it and I'll give you credit if you catch me out on any individual point and I'm even happy to lose any particular argument and apologize for whatever offensive things I may have said in defense of whatever wrong opinion I may have wrongly defended but that's because my main interest is in truth. If I've been wrong about everything my whole life I would choose to know the truth (disclaimer motherfuckers: DO NOT SEND ME ANY RELIGIOUS MATERIAL - I've read it all and it is all just old people taking advantage of young people). This time right now ought to be about young people saying no more, what a pack of lies we've been operating under and we're not going to tolerate it anymore and there's hopeful energy in that direction so fingers crossed.

And you are wrong. There is just no proper translation for those terms, as both would be called sandwich in English. So I have to use this terms to describe what I'm talking about. Replace every Belegtes Brot and Belegtes Brötchen above with sandwich. Wouldn't that be more confusing? And I tried to explain the terms in one of my early posts.

#48 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

View Postamphibian, on 03 September 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

I say a sausage roll is a sandwich too - as is a calzone.

Or a samosa. Or an apple pie with the pastry top.

And an apple pie without a pastry top is a pizza? :rtfm:

#49 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 04 September 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

Our species is almost certainly doomed in the long term if left to our own devices so the only chance to avert this is strong AI (or aliens of course). The broken-down idealist in me says it's all to play for, there's still a chance. I'm a pretty cynical bastard but they just cracked Go/Wei chi/Baduk which was an impossibility when I was in my 20's and I count that as a serious milestone. The way it was explained to me was that a human was untouchable at whole-board evaluation. In the Game of Go, you have 361 points on the board - you can play absolutely anywhere and in the same way that 19th century anthropologists said that primates just couldn't make tools or modify tools or make tools specifically for the purpose of modifying other tools and had to backtrack and apologize for being wrong about all that shit. The machine is coming and for myself, I reckon the best possible future for the human species is to have our consciousness uploaded into machines. If we can't achieve that then our legacy will be our machines that live on after our extinction and we should plan for that as well. Verdict: Almost certainly doomed, and deservedly so. What an outrageous mob of cunts we've been all this time. It's shocking and embarrassing.

Meh. Everyone keeps saying this, but objectively speaking as a biological entity we are an incredibly succesful species. I don't think moral bankrupcy or destructive tendencies necessarily equate ultimate extinction. We have been utter dicks to each other throughout history and have committed mutual extinction on a massive scale unparallelled by any other species on the planet, but we currently have more people than ever before and we are doing better as a species than we have in the past 20,000 years from a biological and reproductive viewpoint. We certainly are not doomed as a species, if anything we'll be crawling and befouling other planets before this millennium is through.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#50 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 04 September 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

The broken-down idealist in me says it's all to play for, there's still a chance. I'm a pretty cynical bastard but they just cracked Go/Wei chi/Baduk which was an impossibility when I was in my 20's and I count that as a serious milestone.

That got me googling and it's pretty amazing when you look at the implications.

It's clear proof of the benefits that advanced AI will give humans in the future to come. A game played for thousands of years and it comes up with something new...

http://www.wired.com...?mbid=social_fb

(The article has annoying adblock function so I copied the text and read it from word)

But the game 2 move, using a move that it learnt for itself with predicted success against a human player shows just what AI can do for us in giving us a new way of thinking/new perspective on things.

And the proof is game 4...

In their fourth game, the only one in which Lee was victorious, he appeared to adopt some of AlphaGo's strategy by pursuing less expected and riskier maneuvers that proved successful in the end.

It could be similar to when you see a new invention that comes out that is oh so simple but oh so great. It makes millions and you sit there and wonder on why no one has thought about it before now. Future AI will hopefully be able to do this for us.

View PostGorefest, on 04 September 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

We certainly are not doomed as a species, if anything we'll be crawling and befouling other planets before this millennium is through.

If we don't wipe ourselves out first... or the planet doesn't.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#51 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

We're not going to wipe ourselves out, there are always pockets of humanity that will bounce back into the gap. Civilizations may be wiped out, but not humans as a species. We have an unprcedented capacity to adept.

Of course if the sun decides to call it a day or if we get hit by a small moon then yeah, it's over. But total extinction will not be achieved by mankind themselves, no matter how hard they try.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#52 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 04 September 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

View PostGust Hubb, on 03 September 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

Seriously? You contribute to this thread with an embedded music video and no comment? What the fuck are we to make of that? I like the song and I don't mind listening to it but it's odd to just interject in that way, isn't it? The weirdest thing for me is how fucking awkward people are.

If the simple subtlety and interpretative complexity, depending on the person's state of mind and worldviews, of my post escapes you, that is beyond my supernatural abilities to help engender realization or enlightenment in yourself. I apologize for not providing a written, or even diagrammatic, exploration of all the potential meanings and innuendo presented in this work of art, but I assure you that expectations should be adjusted to continued allusiveness characterized by dual, nay triple, meanings, obscure references, and vague commentary when it comes to my posts to you, which gauging your usual bellicose and crass dialogue may become all the more frequent.

Welcome back.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#53 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 04 September 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

No, a hot dog is defined by the poor-quality meat or meat substitute stuffed into an edible plastic tube. A sandwich is defined by the style of bread that contains some manner of filling. It's a stupid question because you already knew the answer so you've asked it as a provocation of sorts. Have some courage and picka fight if that's what you want. I can't quite remember why I have such monumental contempt for you but it certainly has to do with how far you are up your own ass. What's new in the "Crucible of Pressure and Need"?

So you agree that it's not necessary for a sandwich to have two pieces of bread a la meatball subs?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#54 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

I don't understand this thread. A sandwich is made of two distinct sliced pieces of bread with filler between the slices. A hot dog is not a sandwich as it does not incorporate two slices. A sub..aka.. Meatball sub.. Is not a sandwich as it is not made up of two distinct slices. Same with the trash that subway serves. Not a sandwich. A hamburger is classified as a sandwich as it is between distinct slices of bread.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#55 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

A meatball sub is a meatball submarine sandwich. Therefore, bread does not need to be in two pieces to surround the filler.

A hot dog ends up as a sandwich too, whether the bun is used or one piece of regular bread is used.

#56 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

View Postamphibian, on 03 September 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

View PostSiergiej, on 03 September 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

A pizza instantly becomes a sandwich once parts of it are folded upwards for the eating.

No it doesn't. A folded pizza is a folded pizza.

It remains a pizza while gaining the classification sandwich.

What? If something is completely not related to sandwiches (like pizza), it cannot gain sandwich classification by being folded. A book does not become a sandwich when you close it. Neither does pizza.

#57 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:11 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 September 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

A meatball sub is a meatball submarine sandwich. Therefore, bread does not need to be in two pieces to surround the filler.

A hot dog ends up as a sandwich too, whether the bun is used or one piece of regular bread is used.

This is blasphemy!
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#58 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 04 September 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 02 September 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

View PostKing Lear, on 02 September 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

So where would this fit into the scheme of things?

Posted Image

Looks like an emergency solution :rtfm:

And I guess I have hijacked the thread. Sorry Mal.

What in screaming fuck is this? The fetish you people have with pointless nonsense does my fucking head in! Whatever, it's fine, enjoy ...that

People don't do this in other countries? It is a staple of the mass bbq in Aus and I think NZ as well.
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#59 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

I prefer the single slice of good bread (usually oat nut) to the white bread bun (usually not good bread) for my hot dogs.

#60 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

View PostSiergiej, on 04 September 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 03 September 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

View PostSiergiej, on 03 September 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

A pizza instantly becomes a sandwich once parts of it are folded upwards for the eating.

No it doesn't. A folded pizza is a folded pizza.

It remains a pizza while gaining the classification sandwich.

What? If something is completely not related to sandwiches (like pizza), it cannot gain sandwich classification by being folded. A book does not become a sandwich when you close it. Neither does pizza.

If the book is food with a bread binding, then yes, it becomes a sandwich. Edible books, the recycling tech of the future.

Would love to see Dresden Files shits.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users