• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

#41 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Only kind of sentinel besides the floating eyes I have met are the Cat robot. I think it is based on the Sentinel presence mentioned when you land on a planet. So far I haven't landed on a planet that has a heavy presence of the things.

I imagine when I eventually approach the center there will be more robots?

#42 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

About the animals. I got attacked by a 4 meter tall lizard bird last night. Nearly knocked me off a cliff. But it died pretty quickly.

I also saw my first proper huge creatures. I landed on a base and all around it was these huge Brontosaurus like dinosaurs. Some of them had these toadstool like big flat heads. Silly thing was that when I scanned them the scanner said they weighed around 250 kgs. Even though they were making the ground shake when theyw ere walking around. Must be Mushroom dinosaurs.

#43 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

After the cat robot sentinel you get what basically amounts to an AT-ST. Not fun.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#44 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

How did you attract it? Was it just the presence of the sentinels on the planet or did you get a school bus full of aliens hatchlings or something?

#45 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

So after finally exploring all 6 planets in my starting system - three sparsely populated, one with slightly high heat and one with slightly high cold, one lifeless mostly water planet, one forsaken (!) planet (and it really did look like some disaster had befallen it), and one absolutely teeming with life, I hit the hyperdrive button (after once again being overwhelmed by the galactic map) and entered my new 4-planet system. It's awesome how different it looks even from space. There's yellow gas clouds all around making it look all ethereal-like.

This was my first experience of Gek (previous one was a Korvax system) and it was weird not knowing any of the words again! I had also progressed seemingly quite a ways through the Korvax story through their monuments, and it's interesting now getting the Gek perspective on it instead.

Saw my first canine Sentinel on the first planet - lifeless - I landed on, and the sentinels in general here are WAY more inquisitive than in the previous system. Now they start crowding and scanning me if I so much as mine a little plutonium.

Now that I know how to make antimatter and warp cells, it might finally be time to switch ships, though Dinkleship has served me well.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#46 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

Also, it seems like on inhabited planets, you will get two different types of each land animal species, and only one of each flying or water species. Is that everyone else's experience?

#47 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 17 August 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

Also, it seems like on inhabited planets, you will get two different types of each land animal species, and only one of each flying or water species. Is that everyone else's experience?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I've had planets with 30 species and some with none, and quite a few in between, and I'm only like 7 or 8 solar systems in.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#48 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

My experience with my initial 5 or so star systems was actually similar to Khell's experience. 2-3 species at most. Maybe a flying species. Never seen any swimming animals.

But now that I have gotten further down the Atlas route I am seeing more life. Never more than 5 or so species though.

#49 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

View PostApt, on 17 August 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

My experience with my initial 5 or so star systems was actually similar to Khell's experience. 2-3 species at most. Maybe a flying species. Never seen any swimming animals.

But now that I have gotten further down the Atlas route I am seeing more life. Never more than 5 or so species though.

Really? If the planet has life it normally has 8+ species, not counting plants (that don't contribute to your percentage, but do give you credits) from what I've seen.

In a water planet I had sharks chasing me into an abandoned building while they tried to bite my face off, and different species of fishes and some weird underwater pineapple thingy.

That had... I dunno somewhere over 10 species and I found 6 or so of them, didn't find anything on land.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#50 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

It's that procedural generation thing. People are having wildly different experiences.

I also think it has to do with what kind of star system-class you keep landing on.

The planet I am on now is the most lush and biodiverse planet I have seen so far.

#51 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

Goddamn it how are you supposed to scan flying lizards? Little bastards, I can't even shoot them down.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#52 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

View PostObdigore, on 17 August 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 17 August 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I've had planets with 30 species and some with none, and quite a few in between, and I'm only like 7 or 8 solar systems in.

No no, that's not what I'm saying.

I mean that, say for example you have 10 species to find on a planet, of which 8 are land animals and 1 is a flyer and 1 is a fish, then there will be two types of each of the eight land species (so, say, a cow with a shell, and a cow with warts, but they both belong to the same species). But the one flyer will just be one type, and same with the fish (so in total there will be 18 different types of animals to find).

#53 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

View PostTraveller, on 17 August 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

Goddamn it how are you supposed to scan flying lizards? Little bastards, I can't even shoot them down.

It's much easier to kill them with the mining laser than than the boltcaster, I've found.

#54 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 17 August 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 17 August 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

It's much easier to kill them with the mining laser than than the boltcaster, I've found.

Get some homing upgrades on your boltcaster.

I've noticed that there are two types of species that have males/females, and 1 type of others, and some species have 3-4 'types'. It's based on how the species reproduces I believe.

#55 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostApt, on 17 August 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

How did you attract it? Was it just the presence of the sentinels on the planet or did you get a school bus full of aliens hatchlings or something?

Be bad at sitting. After a while they keep coming. That was my strategy anyway! If you kill sentinels quickly or leg it away from the scene of the fringe as it were, the alarm deactivates. If you stand around shooting and not destroying the sentinels for their delicious titanium, bigger and scarier things start arriving...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#56 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:10 AM

Sooo, I've only just noticed that ships can store double the amount of resources per slot as exosuits (500 instead of 250), which kinda makes up for the fact that my suit has twice as many slots as my ship.

#57 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

I was buzzing round in my ship when I saw another one below me, and couldn't help taking a shot at it.

It sent out a distress beacon, and called sentinels out, so I couldn't fast jump - I landed but they were bugging me so I shot a few. And it kind of escalated from there.

Reminded me of how things go badly wrong very quickly in gta just from bumping into someone or firing a random shot in the wrong place.

Gave up on the flying bastards for now - I don't know why zooming in doesn't just let you scan them from the ground.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#58 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

The first planet in my second system was the most barren I'd come across yet - I literally found two plant types and four types of rock in the three hours I spent there. It did have one thing going for it though - it had a thin atmosphere, meaning that at night it was as if I was in space, and I could clearly make out the two closest planets, it was a truly spectacular sight.

I can totally understand why this game has been getting the largely mediocre to negative review reception. Reviewers especially have rushed through the game in order to meet their deadlines, completing the story objectives and finding them wanting.

But I've found that you have to sit down, and stare, and take your time, and just appreciate the worlds for their existence. Yes, the gameplay loop could definitely be more varied, but this is still all about the (leisurely) adventure which you choose to make it. It's unlike so many games, and I'm personally loving it.

#59 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, I definitely think it's about setting your own pace.

I don't have any social arrangements in the weekend, so besides some chores I plan on doing nothing but playing NMS and listening to podcasts. I am going to mellow out.

#60 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 18 August 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

I can totally understand why this game has been getting the largely mediocre to negative review reception. Reviewers especially have rushed through the game in order to meet their deadlines, completing the story objectives and finding them wanting.

It probably didn't help that the creator did a Peter Molyneux and talked about all sorts of features that would be in the game in interviews and stuff, and then never revealed that any of those features got scrapped, so the people following NMS' development apparently had some big expectations right up to the release date that didn't get met.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users