• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

#361 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

Have you seen the inventory space upgrade?

Before Beyond, you just have to join the game of someone on your friend list. Not sure how it works now but I'll check it out..

Edit.. you can move installed tech! So much better! I've just spent an hour refitting all my tech and stacking items up into a decent order.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 14 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#362 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

Had a few game crashes. Clearly needs a few post update patches.

I went back to my base - it looks kind of derelict now, all my plants are gone, the holodoor is open and off, and all containers are inaccessible.

Because now you need to set up a power system to work it all. Generator or solar panels, wiring, all that. The bummer was, even the portal was turned off so I couldn't go back! So had to reload.

I don't know yet why my landing pad has disappeared or why a load of stuff like the landing pad are no longer in the construction menu.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 15 August 2019 - 06:36 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#363 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

This place is huuuge! Just been shopping for blueprints. And making weird food for the alien chef guy.

Attached File  IMG_20190816_172923.jpg (312.11K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Traveller: 16 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

#364 User is offline   Gamelon 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:15 PM

Beep

This post has been edited by Gamelon: 16 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

#365 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:18 PM

View PostTraveller, on 14 August 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

Had a few game crashes. Clearly needs a few post update patches.

I went back to my base - it looks kind of derelict now, all my plants are gone, the holodoor is open and off, and all containers are inaccessible.

Because now you need to set up a power system to work it all. Generator or solar panels, wiring, all that. The bummer was, even the portal was turned off so I couldn't go back! So had to reload.

I don't know yet why my landing pad has disappeared or why a load of stuff like the landing pad are no longer in the construction menu.

The landing pad disappeared because it is now too small for the size of the ships, and the materials should have (somehow) been refunded to you. I suspect that my crappy wooden base has fared a little better, it only had about two lights in terms of electronics.

I’m about to jump in for the first time - and in VR. So excited!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#366 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

From what I've seen of the new power mechanics, its easier to start a base from scratch and work out the power as you go that try to make an old base and wire it all up.

I've got batteries and generators and solar panels, I've just got to work out how much power rooms and portals and things need and have a go. My first go with an organic generator ended with it eating all my carbon, with it all disappearing when I moved it, unlike the refiners which refund the inventory.
Reloaded after that!
I've salvaged what I can from my exocraft (had 5 circuit boards in one, 4 million units right there!) and I think I'll start anew somewhere else as soon as I find a habitable planet with a nice view and some interesting wildlife.

That I can farm! There are some interesting harvesting gadgets there...

This post has been edited by Traveller: 16 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

#367 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

OK, only got about 20 minutes in as some other things came up, but first impressions:

- It works! The bad first: The PSVR on a regular PS4 is definitely struggling, it just doesn’t have the processing power for NMS. What this translates to is that anything more than a few metres away is a bit indistinct, as if you’re seeing things through a haze. Text can be hard to read as well unless you lean in. But it does play smoothly, there’s no stuttering or frame rate issues or anything like that.

- And when you’re up close to anything, it looks great. And the scale! It is hard to put into words, but the feeling of the sheer size of everything is something only VR can produce. My tiny ship is so big! The animals are right there! That mountain makes me exhausted just looking at it!

- The control scheme will take getting used to, it’s completely different to using a regular controller, but boy does it sell the fiction of being a space traveller using advanced technology well! The menus are holograms generated from your gloves. You reach behind your shoulder to pull out your multi-tool. You mime pressing a button on your helmet to bring up analysis mode.

- Amazingly, I’m yet to feel queasy playing it. I opted for smooth movement rather than teleportation even though that’s worse for motion sickness, but it really is smooth. There’s no head bobbing, it’s more like you’re moving along a travelator than walking. Changing direction is done by pointing with the move controllers, something it took me way too long to figure out! It’s definitely not as precise as using a controller, and like I said, it will take some getting used to.

- I decided to start a new game to test out VR and the revised tutorial. So far feels pretty much the same, though there is this new planetary chart thingie, which seems to have replaced the signal booster. I have not yet repaired my ship fully, so can’t yet comment on space flight.

- A non-VR related point: I LOVE the new Discovery page! It is so much better. The huge images of the animals you’ve found, the informational text, the images of the planets in the system, it’s fantastic!

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 16 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

#368 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:55 AM

I bought a star chart from the cartographer but I'm not sure how it works? I think they've replaced the signal booster as a way of locating monoliths and such but I don't know how to access it.

The glyph system is currently broken. I've been system hopping, finding Graves and collecting glyphs - up to 13 now... but the ones I've found since update don't go into my inventory. I'll have to stop collecting them until it's fixed.

Fortunately Hello games have already rolled out about 4 hotfixes for the bigger stuff so hopefully it's on their list.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 August 2019 - 05:55 AM

#369 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:37 AM

View PostTraveller, on 17 August 2019 - 05:55 AM, said:

I bought a star chart from the cartographer but I'm not sure how it works? I think they've replaced the signal booster as a way of locating monoliths and such but I don't know how to access it.

The glyph system is currently broken. I've been system hopping, finding Graves and collecting glyphs - up to 13 now... but the ones I've found since update don't go into my inventory. I'll have to stop collecting them until it's fixed.

Fortunately Hello games have already rolled out about 4 hotfixes for the bigger stuff so hopefully it's on their list.

For me the chart was in my suit inventory, and when I selected it it disappeared and a location waypoint appeared (in my case, for a place to get parts to fix my crashed ship).

#370 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:05 PM

So flying in VR is cooooool :)

Once I got to grips with it anyway. It has a real tactile feel to it as you ‘hold’ a flightstick and another lever for velocity. But it took a bit of getting used to (particularly in working out how to point the nose down - it’s done by leaning forward it seems rather than with the sticks).

You know how NMS’ sheer size is overwhelming sometimes? Well, multiply that by a factor of 10 in VR. When I got into space I was like, ‘fuck, there’s so much SPACE around me, those planets look impossibly huge even from here’. Even the asteroids, which look so puny in normal play, are massive and imposing in VR. Flying through an asteroid field was slightly terrifying.

Being able to look all around your cockpit is ace. I watched as a moon slid along the canopy above me.

I know this all sound pretty great, but honestly I’m not sure if I could play the whole game like this. It’s just too much, it’s too big and everything seems too ‘real’ in scale. It’s exhausting!

#371 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

Wait until you get chased by a t rex type creature!

I like being able to look around the cockpit.

I bet the Nexus is impressive in VR.

#372 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

View PostTraveller, on 18 August 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

Wait until you get chased by a t rex type creature!

I like being able to look around the cockpit.

I bet the Nexus is impressive in VR.

I did walk up to a 3-metre tall creature, and then it tried to eat me! I ran straight back to my ship as fast as I could.

I haven’t reached the Nexus yet on this new game, it’s currently taking me through the initial base building and research. I like the new technology trees, that’s a definite improvement. Constructed a teleporter and now it’s asking me to build a power source and wiring.

I haven’t yet worked out how to use photo mode in VR. I know it exists, but I can’t get it to work as yet.

I also just realised that the system I’ve started in was already discovered by someone else, three years ago. It’s weird to think that someone wandered through this same space once.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 18 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

#373 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

You can summon the nexus once you're in space - it will appear in your system.

I've abandoned my old base for now and started a small wooden shack on a small island, in a large ocean on a paradise planet I found last night. Planning on making a basic but comfortable little pad to return to every now and then, where I can figure out the power systems and such.

#374 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

I just saw that the Nexus teleporter is currently bugged and using it will cause you to lose your freighter and bases.

#375 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:02 PM

So I was fiddling around on my base, trying to get the biofuel generator up and running, when the ground starts shaking. I look behind me (being able to look behind you never stops being cool in VR) and a massive carnivore is charging at me. I physically flinched and cried out before sprinting inside. Now that was a good VR experience :)

I’m starting to get a hang of the flight controls, they’re pretty sensitive but allow for good manoeuvrability. I flew to the space station for the first time. Seeing the Korvax full sized (and staring down at a lone Gek) was great, and the station looks super in VR (not hazy like planetside).

One thing that didn’t work so great was the appearance modifier. There doesn’t seem to be any way to rotate the body in VR so I can’t see what the backpack looks like (incidentally, they seem to have thrown in some new designs in there). More critically, when I changed to wearing different gloves, my left hand disappeared, and only reappeared when I set it back to the default gloves.

You can also now select a banner, though flicking through the options didn’t seem to change anything about my banner’s appearance, I could only change its colour.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 18 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

#376 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:48 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 18 August 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

I just saw that the Nexus teleporter is currently bugged and using it will cause you to lose your freighter and bases.

I've just been using it. I summoned the Nexus, took on a mission, and it sent me to another system to scan hazardous plants. When I was done, I summoned it again and then teleporter back to my base.

This was the first time I've seen the Nexus so full of life - loads of ships, other players wandering about buying and upgrading... it's mad after so long out in the depths of space without seeing a soul!

I took my least favourite ship out to a system where I'd seen a cool, steampunky barrel nosed fighter, with the aim of getting a decent class one. While I'm waiting, a cool yellow exotic circles and lands - so I get that instead! Now I've traded my least favourite and I have a new exotic, but I still want that fighter!

I left it for now, returned to my island cabin, and did some cooking with all the weird food items I've picked up. It's nice and remote after the busy Nexus.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 August 2019 - 11:50 PM

#377 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

Oh that’s good! I’m really looking forward to visiting the Nexus and waving at everyone with my weird VR hands.

After that I might go back to playing normal NMS. I discovered that photo mode does not exist in VR (even though there is a control scheme for it in the options menu, which suggests it might be updated in the future), and that takes away a big part of the game for me. I also can’t ride animals (which might be a bug) and worst of all, can’t sit in chairs!

VR is great, don’t get me wrong, but the full experience is still in regular mode.

#378 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

I'm quite pissed off right now.

I've been building a base on a paradise planet, was just working out a walkway for my launch pad before placing it, and nipped up to the nexus to get a support blueprint.

It was busy in there, and I'm just walking up to the construction desk when a player comes out of nowhere, right up behind me, and kills me.

So I respawn in the space station, and my entire inventory is gone. Including... the heart of the star, which is basically the item you make from all the other seeds you get along the Atlas path.

Plus ALL my maxed out suit full of stuff.

My grave was in space still but I got nothing from it. My last manual save is two days ago - before I got my exotic ship, and before I found my island and build my base.

Apparently in VR you can swing your arms and hit people - so there are players in the Nexus doing just that. This game was always better as a single player mission; this kind of shit just proves it.

I think rather than lose my ship and island, I'll remake my heart of the star and refill my inventory - although I dread to think what else I lost from there.

Oh well I'll just have to treat it like a ship crash or asteroid hitting or something. Multiplayer now turned off, back to my solitude!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 19 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

#379 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

That’s so shit. I can’t believe that damage isn’t turned off in the Nexus. That seems like a real oversight. Feeling for you man, that’s got to be infuriating.

#380 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

There's a damage option in the menu but the default was on.

I've just headed back to my island, I've flown to a different one to start mining and filling stuff up again.

All the stuff I cooked into different dishes has gone too so I'm harvesting plants again.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 19 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users