• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

#321 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

Push down on the d pad and choose the camera. It's good for just freezing everything and letting you look around.

The same menu lets you change from 1st - 3rd person too.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#322 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

I had a catch up.

It was pretty funny, I loaded it up and I was outside my ship - in the middle of a super heated storm! Good start.

Flew into orbit and found my freighter. Still looks awesome! None of my ships were there though! So I reloaded from the hanger, and fortunately they all respawned. Took my bulkiest loader out for a trip. (It looks like a brick, but when you summon it from the surface it comes in just like the drop ship out of Aliens.)

I really hate inventories in games that you have to spend time sorting, instead of playing. This one is bad - I have 4 ships, a suit, a freighter, a base with 6 or more cargo stores, plus the vehicles. They're all mostly full - and I don't know whether half of the things are worth keeping or selling.

So I ignored it for now, went outside, and tried to fix one of my combat frigates. And guess what - out of all the shit I'm carrying, I don't have any of the pure ferrite I need to fix it. Then I managed to fall off into orbit by jet packing too high, and died in space. On the plus side, they fixed this too - instead of losing my whole inventory in space, I still had it when I respawned.

So I left and went down to find my sub. Upgraded the scanner, had a very slow trip through the sea looking for ruins. My first sunken wreck! Crates to open! Oh I need ferrite to open them, I'm in the middle of an ocean with no way of getting any. Fuck.

The colours have been improved. I might just sell ALL my stuff, and jump several systems and start a new base somewhere pretty.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 July 2019 - 06:28 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#323 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:12 AM

Attached File  IMG_20190720_070428.jpg (111.43K)
Number of downloads: 0

#324 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:44 PM

I sold a ton of stuff and took off into some unknown systems.

Found a Blood Planet - gigantic ringed planet with huge plants all over it, first real mega flora I've seen. And Cadmium deposits, which I've been searching for to upgrade one of my drives.

Jumped again to a bigger system. Going to keep at it until I find somewhere suitable for some base building. Bought a load more plants and trees at the Anomaly, also an Aquarium and some other decorative bits for when I get started.

Was excellent fun just gliding through all those gigantic swaying plants, so surreal and beautiful.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 July 2019 - 10:46 PM

#325 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:32 AM

Harvest enough elements to have a constant supply of launch fuel and jump fuel. Keep it topped up.

If you go walking off to explore, you can summon your ship to you - but only if there's launch fuel in it! Otherwise you're in for a long walk. Also with jump fuel, you can get stuck crawling through space if you run out.

You can harvest both from asteroids and the surface.

Try and update your scanner asap, you can get money for everything you scan using upgrades to flora and fauna, and minerals.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 July 2019 - 05:39 AM

#326 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

You can also often find ready-made launch fuel in crashed freighters on planets.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#327 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

There's so much stuff I take for granted now. I've been returning to this again and again since launch, and I play it differently each time. I've got about 160 hours logged now.

My suit has a ton of space, but early on its worth using the scanner to find suit upgrades in drop-pods.

I think the exploration draws me back. Its easy to get sidetracked but I love jumping into a new system and checking out undiscovered planets.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 July 2019 - 08:51 AM

#328 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

The missions are a good intro to the gameplay, but you don't have to stick to them, you can wander off and upgrade storage, weapons, suit - there are upgrades for everything, including toxic/heat/cold shields.

If you look on the Discoveries page, you can see the planets you've been on, what you've scanned, and what minerals are there. When you upload or rename the planets and systems you've discovered, you get Nanites, which you can then use at the space stations to buy the upgrades.
(You can also name all plants and animals you scan, for more Nanites.) Also naming systems can help you remember where you've been and what was there. You can buy blueprints for the upgrades, which you then build yourself, or the upgrades themselves, which just need to be installed in the right place. (Like, if you put a mining laser upgrade in the slot next to the mining laser, they get a coloured square joining them, and you get a bonus. Putting them in separate slots with something in between means no bonus.)

If you're on a hostile (annoying) planet, look on the Discoveries, search through the planets you've been to, and jump to one with the same elements you're after and get them there instead.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 July 2019 - 10:17 PM

#329 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:30 PM

I kinda missed the discoveries rewards at first - when I went back through all the planets I visited I got so much stuff!

Also naming systems and planets is pretty fun. There are only a set number of animals on each planet type; if you get them all you get a big bonus. Never got it myself as theres always one critter I missed, and it could be anywhere on a planet - in a cave, only out at night, under water... I'm not that patient.

Get the scanner upgrades asap as you get credits for everything you scan - I get like 16k for every animal I upload! Its easy money early on, and you'll be scanning every new thing anyway so good investment.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 July 2019 - 10:30 PM

#330 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:54 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 23 July 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

Where do you get all these upgrades?

Have you been up into a space station yet?

There are stores for upgrading suit and all other tech. And other ships constantly dock, which are all available to buy once you have the cash.

Or you can find them. Observatories and other buildings sometimes give you blueprints for upgrades. Drop pods have suit upgrades - you can often find these just by flying low and keeping an eye out for a blue light.

You can fly up, dock, buy or sell, then head back to whichever planet you're on. Theres a teleporter in there too, which let's you jump to previous systems, or the teleporter at your base once you've built one.

I'd go for the ps4 over the switch any day for this.. is it just the controllers you want to use though?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 July 2019 - 06:19 AM

#331 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:23 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 24 July 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

I have yeah but I didn’t see any upgrades. Have checked out ships as they come in and traded gold and silver but a new ship is way beyond my means yet.

And yes, I fucking love the joycons! Probably the most comfortable controllers I’ve used when it comes to combating hand cramps/fatigue. Love having my arms stretched along the back of the couch with a con in each hand.

Have you explored both sides of the space stations? The upgrade shops are on the right-hand side as you face the station ship entrance/exit.

#332 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:52 PM

When you push up on the d-pad, you should get a load of stuff you can build - including a beacon, a save point, and a signal booster.

There's no way you'll find your way back to a specific site by looking for it, you need to leave a beacon there.

The map is activated the same way, but only in space for some reason! Fly up through the atmosphere into space, push up or down on the d-pad, and you'll find the galaxy map.

I still find it to be an absolute nightmare to use properly though! You should at least be able to see the system you're in, and what planets are there.

I just found a nice Bountiful planet, nice shorelines and plateaus, with plenty of plants and animals. I might start a wooden base on one with a good view; just to make a nice looking building without worrying about farming or anything.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 July 2019 - 10:54 PM

#333 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

Yep, as Trav says, you need to build a beacon and place it in order to find a particular spot again. Remember these are for all intents and purposes planet-sized planets! Luckily, beacons are cheap to build. The d-pad quick menu is worth exploring, it has all sorts of useful shortcuts (and it expands to building materials when you’re at your base).

While there is a Galaxy map, there is no planet map, as the planets are procedurally generated, not hand-made (and the map would have to be far too big in any case).

#334 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:05 AM

You can decide which path to take through the galaxy, if any.

On the galaxy map, press right on the d-pad and you'll get the different pathways. I was never really fussed about the galaxy core, so I've been following the Atlas path. This means that every few jumps you'll reach an Anomaly, which has two aliens in it with missions and upgrades, and the Atlas path storyline to follow if you choose. It reappears every few systems or so, so you can keep travelling but keep popping in to update the quest lines.

Just a heads up - when you first jump a couple of times, theres a chance you'll fly into a battle. They'll be a few fighters attacking a freighter. If you shoot down the fighters, usually about 5, (without accidentally shooting the freighter) you'll get asked to board it.
When you go and talk to the commander, he will offer you the freighter FOR FREE.

Before you accept - check it out. If it looks like a brick, and only has a few slots and is like a C class or something, you might want to reconsider, because you only get the first one for free! If you dont like it, you can reload from the previous SYSTEM, jump again into the same battle, and get a different class load up.

I just grabbed the first one I saw because I was so happy to have an actual freighter, but it took a long time after to get an upgrade because you have to pay several millions after that initial one. So if you can get a nice A or S class with lots of slots early on, good luck! If not, don't worry, the extra space is useful.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 July 2019 - 06:18 AM

#335 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

When I built my first base, there was no wood option. So I used the circular rooms, with interconnecting corridors, which I later upgraded to glass ones. I installed my first workstation in one of the rooms.

I've found a nice place to build now, so I thought I'd try a wooden building based on a Japanese house with the walkways and rooms around a garden square. Got some nice plants and trees to use - I'll let you know if the mechanics are different regarding stations.

I would assume that if you build a room with a floor and four walls that you'd be able to install him in there?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 July 2019 - 07:41 PM

#336 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:28 PM

Yeh. And dont forget that's only while you're in a Gek system. There are Korvax and Vykeen systems as well...

#337 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:42 AM

You can pick up as many quests as you like. What's more is they sometimes cross over - so if you pick up 2 quests to scan minerals, and 2 more to scan new animals, you can head to a new planet, scan everything you can see, and complete them all before returning for the rewards.

I don't think the rust does anything. I haven't tried sticking it in a refiner though.

The inventory can be a bummer. If you've got enough fuel to charge everything, including shields and weapons, you could probably sell everything else at this stage to get money.

Have you found any land based space ports yet? You can sometimes see other ships heading to or from them. If you land at one of those, or hang about in a space station, you'll get new ships flying in and out. Check out the classes and costs, you can always scan the ship for the class and slots without talking to the owner.

I'll try and think of the best ways to make cash early on. I think if you can find some vortex cubes, or Larval cores. The cubes occur naturally on some planets so it's a bit hit and miss.

The larvae.. well, have you met any 'biological horrors' yet? If you can get their eggs open and grab a lavae, they're worth a good 3 million units each. There is an element of risk involved, but you can find them by building a signal booster on the surface, and using it to scan for Abandoned Buildings. It will give you the location to fly to.

I'll let you find out the rest!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 July 2019 - 07:12 AM

#338 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 26 July 2019 - 04:00 AM, said:

Still haven’t nutted up to warp out. Wanted more $ so I’m now just trying to explore this solar system and hitting asteroids. Did get hints on a new planet(like the desert of Utah!) which is windswept to a drop pod and it has an eco suit upgrade but I don’t have or have seen the elements required to repair..

I’d like to get another ship so I can get a few more slots. This shit fills way to fast and idk if I even need or how rare the stuff I’m getting is.

It took me about twenty hours before I warped out of my first system. But I’m the type who can’t leave before they’ve found every different species, so it usually takes me a while :)

Another good way to make lots of money early on is finding a ruin. Use your scanner to find spots of interest at the ruin and then dig. You’ll find keys. Once you have 3, you can dig at the main interest spot (it’s usually near the centre of the ruins area), and you’ll find a chest to unlock with the keys. The item inside can quite often be sold for hundreds of thousands if not millions of units - and you don’t need it for anything else, it exists just to be sold for units.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 26 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

#339 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

(Shh I want him to find some whispering eggs!)

#340 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:00 PM

Yeah you get different types - I've got a rifle sort that gives a weapon bonus; there are mining ones and scanning ones too I think.

The Trader posts offer new ones, so does Polo inside the Anomaly. Shame you can't have more than one! Watch out if you buy the grenades though, I've killed myself with those plenty of times.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users