Malazan Empire: Favourite scenes from TV Shows and Films - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite scenes from TV Shows and Films Spoilers for er... everything! It's now a free-for-all!

#41 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 28 July 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

The Train station scene from ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. When Charles Bronson is facing the 3 gunslingers and they tell him to come along with them. I"m paraphrasing, but it goes something like...
Charles Bronson........ You've got the wrong number of horses (3).
Bad guy says..Looks like we're one short.
Charles Bronson.... No, you've 2 too many. And then the staredowns begin. He was one steely looking S.O.B.

The love this movie receives on this site makes me glad to be a part of the community.

I'm not even going to try and list more than a few.

2 from Gus in Lonesome Dove.

But my two favorites are the conversation and the end between Gus and Call. "It aint dyin im talkin about, its livin."

And the "whackin a surly bartender scene."

http://www.youtube....h?v=RsXx0lov8qo

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 29 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#42 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

Chasing Amy - what's a nubian?

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#43 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

View Postchamp, on 29 July 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

I've found it interesting that we're nearly 2 pages done and there isn't a Marvel scene here, I was trying to think of one and...

In fairness, as fun as they are, the Marvel movies aren't really going for deep cinematic excellence (although the airport fight scene in Civil War is a how-to in doing a multi-person action scene and might be in this sort of list for me once I rewatch it).

The Netflix shows probably have more of the kind of scene that could get brought up here. Someone should start a TV scenes topic... :D
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#44 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:25 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 29 July 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 29 July 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

I've found it interesting that we're nearly 2 pages done and there isn't a Marvel scene here, I was trying to think of one and...

In fairness, as fun as they are, the Marvel movies aren't really going for deep cinematic excellence (although the airport fight scene in Civil War is a how-to in doing a multi-person action scene and might be in this sort of list for me once I rewatch it).

The Netflix shows probably have more of the kind of scene that could get brought up here. Someone should start a TV scenes topic... :D

That was a great scene, Antman and Spidey owned it. With regards to Marvel in general, they are the most popular films at the moment, I'd hope with all the backing behind them they'd be able to pull out some more jaw dropping spectacular.

Funny too as I did consider adding TV scenes to the topic when posting it... MODGOD edit?!

Oh man, that could open a can of worms, where to start...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#45 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Some more:
Stand By Me: the pie-eating contest story.

A Nightmare on Elm Street: Tina being dragged up to the ceiling. The claw coming up in Nancy's bath.

Scream: opening scene with Drew Barrymore.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#46 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

#47 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

View Postchamp, on 29 July 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

Funny too as I did consider adding TV scenes to the topic when posting it... MODGOD edit?!

Can you not edit the title yourself if you open up the first post editor?

#48 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:54 PM

You can also start a different thread. There are separate Movie and TV threads after all.

#49 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 29 July 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 29 July 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

Can you not edit the title yourself if you open up the first post editor?

Ayyy! I was trying to figure that out but wasn't in full editor mode!

It's now open season on any scene but damn, this is going to take some thinking.

edit

View PostKanyemander West, on 29 July 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

You can also start a different thread. There are separate Movie and TV threads after all.

I also think it would be interesting in the same thread.

Does it take different things to make a great TV scene compared to making a great film scene or is a great scene a great scene because it is a great scene! Yeah! It's a Friday night so it's hard to articulate!

edit edit

Hmm I best not add further for now.

This post has been edited by champ: 29 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#50 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

View Postchamp, on 29 July 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

It's now open season on any scene but damn, this is going to take some thinking.

I'm gonna start us off with one I mentioned earlier: Battlestar drop!

Bonus: another brilliant BSG scene.

#51 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Okay, one of my favorite TV scenes involves a major late stage Deadwood spoiler.

Spoiler

Also, every single other scene in Deadwood.

#52 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

#53 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:09 PM

View PostSexy Gumbo, on 29 July 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

Yes and fuck them for stopping at S3 the way they did. Fuck them in their tightwad asses!!!!

Movie's on the way (quite a long way away, mind, but on it).

#54 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

From tv i'll ALWAYS have a soft spot for this scene from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Just very memorable.

meh. Link was dead :(

#55 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:54 AM

#56 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

So to add to Once Upon a Time in the West, I love the scene with the horses that has been mentioned previously in this thread and I would second that. I think my favourite scene/s in that movie though has to be when Bronson sticks the harmonica in Fonda's mouth and the realisation in Fonda's eyes before he dies.

There is a video on Youtube that cuts edited clips of the movie, including the flashback to when he's a child with his father on his shoulders at the gallows and the final confrontation including the harmonica part, to Arcade Fire's 'My Body is a Cage'. I don't know what it is about that video - ostensibly the song couldn't feel more different than a western, atmospherically - but I get damn goosebumps every time I hear/watch it. Here's the video for anyone who might be interested, though it's not strictly a film scene obviously and I'd recommend watching the film first for anyone who hasn't.

There seems to be a theme of Arcade Fire songs being cut to edited movie clips. The first result for the song 'Intervention' is cut to edited clips of Sergei Eisenstein's 'Battleship Potemkin' and it also works really well. Off topic, however.

If we are doing TV scenes, then the train heist in Breaking Bad Season 5 Ep 5 Dead Freight is simply glorious TV, as is basically the entire episode entitled Ozymandias - in particular Hank! And that's all I need to say for anyone who's seen it.

And finally, Scrubs, the ending to the episode 'My Screw Up' when Dr. Cox realises that his brother-in-law is dead and he is at the funeral, right up until the credits - the episode builds to that crescendo and if you haven't seen it then it won't be as powerful.

Skip to 1:40 for the start of the actual scene :cry:

The train heist scene from Breaking Bad is really one long scene and is basically the entire last 14 or so minutes of the episode. I can't find a video that has just those minutes to post on here, so will have to make do without. Suffice to say it's worth your time to watch it, even from a purely cinematic view point if you don't and haven't ever watched the show.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 30 July 2016 - 05:22 AM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#57 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostHocknose, on 28 July 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

Hands down the best scene for me ever is the Charge of the Rohirrim from Return of the King:

that fucking speech by Denethor...I've watched it probably 10-15 times and I still get goosebumps...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8Tgi-j56ueU

This. Favourite piece of cinema by miles.

Catch me in the right mood and I get all welled up at "Ride now, ride for ruin and the world's ending." It's actually Eomer's line from the book after he discovers Eowyn and thinks she's dead, but I'm so glad they gave it to Theoden. It's super.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#58 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

#59 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

If we are doing TV as well, let me add some DOCTOR WHO. Two scenes that I think are fantastic!

The Eleventh Doctor rarely showcased his anger (much less so than the Tenth), and this scene had always stuck with me as a perfect cold rage from Matt Smith.

This one makes my heart swell and my eyes well up as the Doctor's all begin reporting in from across time. Simply amazing. Gets me every time.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

Oh, and one last Doctor Who one...

This scene showcases perfectly how great Capaldi is at playing the Doctor, all sides of him. (Spoilers for series 8)

And then watch this for the bit that follows it (I'm unsure why the first uploader didn't keep the whole scene intact).

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users