Malazan Empire: Favourite scenes from TV Shows and Films - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite scenes from TV Shows and Films Spoilers for er... everything! It's now a free-for-all!

#21 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

Hands down the best scene for me ever is the Charge of the Rohirrim from Return of the King:

that fucking speech by Denethor...I've watched it probably 10-15 times and I still get goosebumps...

This post has been edited by Hocknose: 28 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

#22 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

I'm glad people mentioned the True Romance scene. That was going to be my first mention. Along with the opening of Inglourious Basterds, it's the best scene Tarantino has written.

The Indianapolis Speech from Jaws (that clip shows the monologue which is obviously brilliant by itself, but the scene works best with the first half in too).

The T-Rex intro in Jurassic Park, which I'm not gonna link coz there's no decent version I can find that shows the intro.

The coin toss, No Country for Old Men.

Something a little different, the rocket launch from 5 Centimeters per Second. Nothing happens that's directly relevant to the plot (though it's thematically and emotionally key), but it's so damn pretty! And perfectly captures the mood of the moment. I can't link it on youtube without linking someone's upload of the whole damn movie, which I don't wanna do, but the film's worth seeking out.

For action:

The hallway fight from Oldboy.

The kitchen fight from The Raid 2. The choreography and the in-scene narrative here are both flawless.

I'm a leaf on the wind, Serenity. Finally getting to see Wash really show his skills and showing much bigger-budget films how spaceship action is done (although it doesn't beat the Adama Maneuver from BSG, of course). Warning, this clip ends with a big-ass spoiler if you've not seen the film (you're okay if you stop ten seconds from the end).

THE INCREDIBLES - the 100 Mile Dash. The single most perfect scene of any superhero movie ever made.

It's pretty awesome, although if we're talking depiction of powers, I'm putting the Nightcrawler scene in X2 up there.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

I don't think I have ever watched the entire film but I think I have watched this scene from Glengary Glenn Ross 20 times:

#24 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 28 July 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Yes! I totally forgot to post this, I actually was thinking about that scene at work today, the scene it inspired in the first Raid film is just as epic.

The kitchen fight from The Raid 2. The choreography and the in-scene narrative here are both flawless.

I was trying to decide which scene I would pick out of the two Raid films and this one is a great shout, the way it builds into it and damn, it just keeps going and going, you expect it to reach a climax but then it just keeps stepping up the pace and action, watching this in the cinema was amazing.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#25 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

View Postchamp, on 28 July 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

the scene it inspired in the first Raid film is just as epic.

It inspired absolute shitloads of tributes, didn't it. See also: one each in the first two seasons of Daredevil, and this rather good one from the criminally underrated Repo Men*.

* I remember thinking at the time that there were enough touches in that that the director of Repo Men was going to be one to really keep an eye on, and then he seemed to disappear. Well, it turns out he moved to TV and has been blowing minds in Game of Thrones, since it's Miguel Sapochnik who directed Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter.

#26 User is offline   champ 

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 28 July 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 28 July 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

the scene it inspired in the first Raid film is just as epic.

It inspired absolute shitloads of tributes, didn't it. See also: one each in the first two seasons of Daredevil, and this rather good one from the criminally underrated Repo Men*.

* I remember thinking at the time that there were enough touches in that that the director of Repo Men was going to be one to really keep an eye on, and then he seemed to disappear. Well, it turns out he moved to TV and has been blowing minds in Game of Thrones, since it's Miguel Sapochnik who directed Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter.

Aye, we owe a lot to that fucked up film haha, The Daredevil one was good too.

I can remember watching 300 and the scene below, even that made me think of Oldboy.

I never got around to watching Repo Men, I've got it somewhere too, may have to check it out.

Tehol said:

#27 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

#28 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

Couple more:

There's a lot of Raging Bull that could make the cut, but the first scene and the last one (obviously quoting another great moment) really stand out.

The beginning of Up! It's allergies, honest.

The graveyard shootout in 7 Psychopaths had me pissing myself.

View PostAbyss, on 28 July 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

BATTLESHIP - wait, wait, hear me out.... the movie is terribad. The first 45 minutes are an insult to the universe. But this scene.... this scene is FUCKING GOLD. The battle that follows is pretty good too.

That there is a scene that learned all the right lessons from Top Gun.

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 July 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

And though there are no subtitles on this clip (it's in German), but this when I saw it in theatre Lola Rennt (AKA Run Lola Run) I think my mind melted from how Tom Tykwer assembled this scene into a flawless action sequence with a bunch of stationary people and set pieces, while Lola is the only kinetic things buzzing by. I'ts pretty damned perfect (note: it's also funnier if you understand German or if there were subtitles). Basically Lola needs money to save her boyfriend from some thugs, so the scene where she's running through people is her trying to figure out who can get nher money fast....the person she pauses on is her dad...who shakes his head no. The entire movie is that kinetic and funny.

It's hilarious re-watching Run Lola Run having lived in Berlin for three years. The amount of teleportation she does is incredible. I appreciate that this is true of almost any film set anywhere really, but the nature of this one since it's nothing but her running repeatedly across the city makes it so noticable.

Good film-making though.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

I'm glad people mentioned the True Romance scene. That was going to be my first mention. Along with the opening of Inglourious Basterds, it's the best scene Tarantino has written.

The Indianapolis Speech from Jaws (that clip shows the monologue which is obviously brilliant by itself, but the scene works best with the first half in too).

Brilliant choice. That scene is sheer cinematic performance majesty.

THE INCREDIBLES - the 100 Mile Dash. The single most perfect scene of any superhero movie ever made.

It's pretty awesome, although if we're talking depiction of powers, I'm putting the Nightcrawler scene in X2 up there.

We can agree to disagree. I enjoyed the Nightcrawler scene, but fundamentally it's fx and shooting. 100 Mile Dash works a tonne of character development, comic nods, and sheer joy into roughly three minutes.

View PostApt, on 28 July 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

I don't think I have ever watched the entire film but I think I have watched this scene from Glengary Glenn Ross 20 times:

Good one.

View Postpolishgenius, on 29 July 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 28 July 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

BATTLESHIP - wait, wait, hear me out.... the movie is terribad. The first 45 minutes are an insult to the universe. But this scene.... this scene is FUCKING GOLD. The battle that follows is pretty good too.

That there is a scene that learned all the right lessons from Top Gun.

True. I have trouble thinking of a single scene in TOP GUN that I would rank among my faves, fun movie tho it is.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

I'd say Chaplins speech from the great dictator has to be the most memorable scene in my mind.

It was a damn good speech that rose my respect of...damn near everything.

More recently I'd say the prestige part of The Prestige, particularly the realization of what that hats scene suggested, what you see first now completely understood. Nolan gets you in that scene, no explanation needed. Mind blown.

You realize just how far this magician has been willing to go to convincingly achieve the impossible.
Wonky science aside I loved the sheer gravity of that shot. Also Bowie as Tesla, ha!

Bale and Jackman played the parts well as did Johansen and Michael Caine, but all of it really culminates in that one moment when you realize where this movie has taken you.

Nolans' greatest production to this day imho.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

I've tried to watch the prestige five times I think. Maybe I should try to finally finish the damn film.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostApt, on 29 July 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

I've tried to watch the prestige five times I think. Maybe I should try to finally finish the damn film.

If you haven't finished it then you haven't even seen the prestige part. Oh man. Get on that. It''s mind-meltingly amazing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

I just find the whole opening/rivalry between the two magicians so boring for some reason. Not really sure why. Great actors, interesting plot. I think it's the whole jumping back and forth in time thing. I've never been fond of that story telling method.

#34 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 July 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

True. I have trouble thinking of a single scene in TOP GUN that I would rank among my faves, fun movie tho it is.

Really?

#35 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostApt, on 29 July 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

I just find the whole opening/rivalry between the two magicians so boring for some reason. Not really sure why. Great actors, interesting plot. I think it's the whole jumping back and forth in time thing. I've never been fond of that story telling method.

Odd as I often explain Malazan books as Prestigesque in development. The timeline doesnt need to make sense, the moments are full of hidden meanings, messeges and ideas, the scenography is character driven, with anchored performances and clever shifts in moments That later speak to each other.

Also you pick more and more after each new viewing.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 29 July 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 29 July 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Really?

I don't even need to click on that to know it's the volleyball scene.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#37 User is offline   champ 

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

I've found it interesting that we're nearly 2 pages done and there isn't a Marvel scene here, I was trying to think of one and...

As I was typing that I thought of this one...

Cracks me up every time I watch that scene.

Tehol said:

#38 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

Ah top gun.
Short shorts, oil and a script that's basically 50 pages of innuendos

#39 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

Shallow grave first scene

So this affair you're NOT having. Is it NOT with a man, or NOT with a woman?

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 29 July 2016 - 09:08 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#40 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users