• You cannot reply to this topic

Best FInished Series

#61 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

To each his own, but I felt that Mistborn had one of the best endings in a fantasy series, in a sense that it was cohesive and looking back I could see how it waas set up.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#62 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostMentalist, on 24 August 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

To each his own, but I felt that Mistborn had one of the best endings in a fantasy series, in a sense that it was cohesive and looking back I could see how it waas set up.

Interesting... you liked the ending? To me it seemed a bit contrived

#63 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostAndorion, on 24 August 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

The general consensus is that it's a fantastic ending. Most satisfying ending I've read to a trilogy.

#64 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 24 August 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

The general consensus is that it's a fantastic ending. Most satisfying ending I've read to a trilogy.

Initially I rather liked the ending, but after I finished all the other Sanderson stuff, I noticed that Sanderson is a bit heavy handed with gods. This started bothering me, and nowhere is this more heavy than in Book 3 of Mistborn

I mean that Gods seem to be present or accessible in a rather trivial manner in his books. I am not articulating this very well.

Edit: I have found that my initial Sanderson reactions and 6 month after Sanderson reactions simply don't tally. As to why, I have no clue. At one point I will have to revisit the original Mistborn trilogy

This post has been edited by Andorion: 24 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

#65 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostAndorion, on 24 August 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

Initially I rather liked the ending, but after I finished all the other Sanderson stuff, I noticed that Sanderson is a bit heavy handed with gods. This started bothering me, and nowhere is this more heavy than in Book 3 of Mistborn

I mean that Gods seem to be present or accessible in a rather trivial manner in his books. I am not articulating this very well.

Edit: I have found that my initial Sanderson reactions and 6 month after Sanderson reactions simply don't tally. As to why, I have no clue. At one point I will have to revisit the original Mistborn trilogy

It's been years since I read Mistborn, so this is purely from memory:

Spoiler

Sanderson is a pretty good storyteller. But I feel Mistborn/Warbreaker-size works are his best format. Stormlight Archive suffers from being so big that his (rather significantly) sub-par characterization and dialogue become much more apparent, since there's so much more of them. His pacing improved from tWoK to the second book, but I still don't feel anything close to Malaz-level love for Stormlight.

Then again, I wasn't totally hooked on Malaz until MoI either...

#66 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

Stormlight caught me with the sheer scope of the thing. Not in story... in pure story it's three or so characters in a relatively narrow part of a world building to one or two big action pieces per book (so far) ... but the backstory, the supporting cast, the history... it's fantasy candy. Not as complex as Malazan, not as twisted as SIF, almost too familiar at times, but the sheer fun of reading it just wipes any hesitation from me.

Full disclosure: I did these as earbooks and Michael Kramer is a glorious narrator who could make a pizza delivery menu sound epic.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#67 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

As I've said before, I can see the glimmers of Sanderson's scope, and I am impressed by his ambition.

But looking at the 2 volumes out, then the map of Roshar, then the fact there's 8 more books to come, i'm not convinced there's enough stuff for 10-doorstopper series.

SE went to town in MoI, dropping plot threads left right and centre, mixing it up with insane action. It sold me to the point I could no longer wait 2 weeks for the next library copy of HoC and had to go and buy all 6 books out at the time.

Sanderson is yet to wow me like that to make me think "yes, holy shit, stuff in future Cosmere books is gonna be EPIC". The Knights Radiant angle isn't enough for me.

#68 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

Technically the Stormlight Archive will be 2 sets of 5 books, in the way that Mistborn was originally planned to be 3 sets of trilogies.

And I don't know, most of the events in the first 2 books have taken place in a relatively small section of Roshar. I think there is a ton of potential to fill up 10 books. And we have barely scratched the surface of the magic systems.

#69 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostMentalist, on 24 August 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

As I've said before, I can see the glimmers of Sanderson's scope, and I am impressed by his ambition.

But looking at the 2 volumes out, then the map of Roshar, then the fact there's 8 more books to come, i'm not convinced there's enough stuff for 10-doorstopper series.

SE went to town in MoI, dropping plot threads left right and centre, mixing it up with insane action. It sold me to the point I could no longer wait 2 weeks for the next library copy of HoC and had to go and buy all 6 books out at the time.

Sanderson is yet to wow me like that to make me think "yes, holy shit, stuff in future Cosmere books is gonna be EPIC". The Knights Radiant angle isn't enough for me.

My larger problem with the whole Cosmere Mythos is that Sanderson lacks balance. He is an awesome worldbuilder. But he gets carried away with this. He builds entire alternate ecosystems, which of course are highly laudable. But he starts building these super-intricate magic systems and at one point its like a video game. What this focus on world does is distract him from characters, dialogue and ultimately story.

Ment, in your earlier post
Spoiler

#70 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Yeah that is strange. I just went back to your Sanderson topic, and you were much more positive about everything back then, especially the Mistborn trilogy ending.

http://forum.malazan...mlight-archive/

#71 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 24 August 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Yeah that is strange. I just went back to your Sanderson topic, and you were much more positive about everything back then, especially the Mistborn trilogy ending.

http://forum.malazan...mlight-archive/

Yeah I know... I actually went back and looked at that thread myself and I was very surprised. But Sanderson is an author about whom my opinion seems to change. Frankly I think I should reread that trilogy.

#72 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Hah, skimmed the first page of that thread. Quite the contrast in your opinions.

I think I was similar, from what I recall I did enjoy mistborn, but its doesn't sit very well in my memory now, have no desire to revisit and am baffled as to why I think I may have enjoyed it at the time

#73 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

The more I think back on reading the second two volumes of Mistborn, the less desire I have to start Stormlight. All the stuff about how epically huge it is does tempt me, but then someone will pop in and say it could have been edited to half the length and not lost anything and puts me right off again.

I still wish someone would make a Mistborn movie trilogy though.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#74 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 August 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

I still wish someone would make a Mistborn movie trilogy though.

They did make the first novel into a movie. Not sure why they quit.

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#75 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

View PostAndorion, on 24 August 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

My larger problem with the whole Cosmere Mythos is that Sanderson lacks balance. He is an awesome worldbuilder. But he gets carried away with this. He builds entire alternate ecosystems, which of course are highly laudable. But he starts building these super-intricate magic systems and at one point its like a video game. What this focus on world does is distract him from characters, dialogue and ultimately story.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#76 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:14 PM

View PostMacros, on 22 August 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

I know they're linked by "shards" and what ever, but I always struggle to see Brandersons series linked into a shared universe the way gemmells stones of power series is for example (and that's only the jon shannow novels, the macedon novels and...2? More?) and that was a tenuous enough connection.

shards, magic systems all being reflections/linked to one another and several characters (so far)
meh. Link was dead :(

#77 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

Sorry ... so what all else is in the mistborn galaxy?

enjoyed the second Era much more than I thought I would.

#78 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:48 AM

View Posttheocean, on 25 August 2016 - 12:58 AM, said:

Sorry ... so what all else is in the mistborn galaxy?

enjoyed the second Era much more than I thought I would.

So far we got Roshar (the setting for Stormlight Archive), the planet from "Warbreaker", and the planet from "Elantris + The Emperor's daughter, all being part of the same universe.

I think there's also a graphic novel series now dealing with yet another world?

#79 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:06 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 August 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

Really unknown atm just what the full extent of it is but just to let ya know every single bk/set of bks that he has ever published baring WoT and YA is set on a planet in it. He kinda went Stephen King's Dark Tower with it.

Oh shit I think this thread made Ando go dust his 17th Shard account off

Yup! I found my password and everything!

#80 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:07 AM

View PostMentalist, on 24 August 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 24 August 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ment, i think I have a reply to this, but I need to look at a couple of things to actually have a post. Like I said, Memory like a sieve

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users