Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#641 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostGorefest, on 27 November 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

Got my Settled Status through today, for what it is worth. I now officially have indefinite leave to stay in the UK. Until Brexit goes tits up and the paper is worthless, of course.

Bumpstocks means Burp things.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#642 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

Chancellor confirms that Britain will be poorer in any Brexit situation, Leave voters surprised and angry.

In related news, scientists have discovered brain cells not requisite for human survival.

#643 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

Yes but did you notice it's now been rebranded as Project Hysteria? Can't call it project fear any more because they were right. Once again the goalposts move...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#644 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

For the life of me I cannot get my head around why anyone would ever have thought that you would benefit economically from leaving the EU. You are going from being an integral part of a large bloc with joint negotiating power and no internal trade barriers to one nation with no existing trade agreements and a relatively small market, surrounded by water on all sides. Even a 3-year old can figure out that you are never going to get as good an economical deal as within the EU. But it was never really about that, it was supposedly about taking back autonomy. So why are the Brexiteers suddenly falling over each other to condemn these obvious findings? It is madness. It was never the Brexit goal to begin with. Jesus wept.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 29 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#645 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostGorefest, on 29 November 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

For the life of me I cannot get my head around why anyone would ever have thought ...

They didn't think, that's the problem. Cameron never thought Leave would win and he thought offering the referendum wouldn't change anything... then it did and nobody had thought it through at all. Couple that with a fair whack of the population hearing nothing more than the anti-EU equivalent of "Make Great Britain great again" and this is where we are.

I'd happily watch the lot of them burn (figuratively) except for the fact they're going to take the rest of us down with them.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 29 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#646 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 29 November 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 29 November 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

For the life of me I cannot get my head around why anyone would ever have thought ...

They didn't think, that's the problem. Cameron never thought Leave would win and he thought offering the referendum wouldn't change anything... then it did and nobody had thought it through at all. Couple that with a fair whack of the population hearing nothing more than the anti-EU equivalent of "Make Great Britain great again" and this is where we are.

I'd happily watch the lot of them burn (figuratively) except for the fact they're going to take the rest of us down with them.

Really, it boiled down to sunburned, shirtless Stella swiggers having a way to show how much they don't like brown people and how much they love "tekken are crunchy back".

#647 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:38 AM

Still don't understand why no one has managed to get a second referendum. Do we have polls that indicate support? Do most people still want to leave?

#648 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

View PostCause, on 03 December 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Still don't understand why no one has managed to get a second referendum. Do we have polls that indicate support? Do most people still want to leave?

It isn't the case, because a second referendum would be armed with the knowledge of what a deal might mean, but I think it would be painted as "So every time we don't like a decision, we have another referendum about it and keep doing it until we get the result we want?"

It was mishandled and now we're stuck with it I think. Why they didn't use the guideline 55%> suggested in the process itself I'll never know, but now everyone's paying for the decision to make it a majority vote.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#649 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 03 December 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 03 December 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

It isn't the case, because a second referendum would be armed with the knowledge of what a deal might mean, but I think it would be painted as "So every time we don't like a decision, we have another referendum about it and keep doing it until we get the result we want?"

It was mishandled and now we're stuck with it I think. Why they didn't use the guideline 55%> suggested in the process itself I'll never know, but now everyone's paying for the decision to make it a majority vote.

I'd argue it's more the case because remaining means being subject to the new EU tax regs - which the Tories obviously don't want. Plus this gives them as good a chance as any to strip away workers' rights etc.

#650 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, I get that - I was just quoting what I've heard plenty of people say in response to the idea of a second referendum. "Remain don't like it so they want another vote until it comes back Remain". etc ad nauseum.

I honestly don't know that a second referendum would change the result anyway if I'm honest. I don't think enough has happened to change the minds of most.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 03 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#651 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:16 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 03 December 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

Yeah, I get that - I was just quoting what I've heard plenty of people say in response to the idea of a second referendum. "Remain don't like it so they want another vote until it comes back Remain". etc ad nauseum.

I honestly don't know that a second referendum would change the result anyway if I'm honest. I don't think enough has happened to change the minds of most.

I personally link it to the rise of the right wing - it's the Trump phenomenon. As soon as clowns like Farage and Yaxley-Lennon are given a platform, the worms start coming out of the soil.

Also, what's truly ironic is that had remain won, you can bet your ass that the right wing would be howling for a second referendum, or that the fact it was 51/49 means that the result wasn't valid.

#652 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:21 AM

ironic or just downright depressing?

#653 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

View PostMacros, on 04 December 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

ironic or just downright depressing?

Why not both?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#654 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

If anything, that lists needs more adjectives. And I'd throw in some expletives as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#655 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

The EU advocate just ruled that the UK can unilaterally revoke the article 50 letter with out EU approval.

https://www.theguard...cj-adviser-says
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#656 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

Not going to happen.

#657 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostGorefest, on 04 December 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Not going to happen.

Doesn't matter if it will or not. But now you could. Until this ruling it would have taken the remaining EU member states to vote on allowing you back in.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#658 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:27 PM

Three UK ministers are officially in contempt of Parliament.

I love that it's even possible for this to happen.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#659 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:15 AM

Theresa May has had a terrible day and while I kind of hope this means the Tories don't get into power for a very long time it seems no matter what happens they're going to push forward with this disaster. Even if parliament defeats get proposal next week. "Will of the People" yeah right.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#660 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:46 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 December 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

Theresa May has had a terrible day and while I kind of hope this means the Tories don't get into power for a very long time it seems no matter what happens they're going to push forward with this disaster. Even if parliament defeats get proposal next week. "Will of the People" yeah right.

Given Corbyn's clear Brexit sympathies, only details would shift if he'd have to (re)negotiate it.
I do think that Labour is long-term better for the UK, but imho staying in under the Tories would likely still be better than leaving under Labour.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users