Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#1421 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:47 PM

Still cannot believe the self centered fecker has left on his own accord. Just worried how much worse we will be getting back. I cannot stand any of the Tory lot, although I may consider moving back to the Netherlands if Liz Truss gets in. They are really all as bad as each other. Career politicians these days rank right up there with bankers and killer clowns.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1422 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:10 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 July 2022 - 05:59 PM, said:

Jonathan Pie, as ever, is spot on about Johnson's reign of terror...

https://youtu.be/lKrLBPmRsrM

"Even though he's resigned... he's still fucking there?! Just fuck off and we'll take our chances with the next useless, posh sliver of bollock skin"

Delectably spoken.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1423 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 July 2022 - 07:10 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 July 2022 - 05:59 PM, said:

Jonathan Pie, as ever, is spot on about Johnson's reign of terror...

https://youtu.be/lKrLBPmRsrM

"Even though he's resigned... he's still fucking there?! Just fuck off and we'll take our chances with the next useless, posh sliver of bollock skin"

Delectably spoken.

Yes he's my very favourite political pundit.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1424 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 July 2022 - 02:53 PM

So Hugh Grant getting a political activist (Steve Bray, I think?) to stand near a Sky news interview with a Tory during the resignation to loudly play the Benny Hill music (Yakety sax) is my new fave thing of the week.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 July 2022 - 03:00 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1425 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2022 - 04:36 PM

Some serious inquiries about Boris. Was he ever taken seriously? And did he accomplish anything? Like, what was his signature policy that passed?

#1426 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 July 2022 - 06:46 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2022 - 04:36 PM, said:

Some serious inquiries about Boris. Was he ever taken seriously? And did he accomplish anything? Like, what was his signature policy that passed?

Good questions. Not easy to answer. I am admittedly bias because I despise him and his party, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

But no. He hasn't achieved anything. His big election thing was "Get Brexit Done!" and he basically rode the nationalist wave that was still going strong following the Brexit referendum. This gave him a big majority in the general election back in whenever it was...

Also people seemed to think he was a "top bloke" or a mate cos of his idiot persona he displayed in public despite him being an Eton elite and ultra-privileged. (Real name btw is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson or something like that...). It also helped him that his opponent was Corbyn who was the most left wing leader of the Labour party that they've had in years, but he was character assassinated by the press and most other politicians (including some in the Labour party itself!) He didn't help himself as he didn't play the politics game in the same way but also was quite unclear on his Brexit stance meaning a lot of people who voted Remain didn't feel that they could trust him... For me, he would have been the best choice regardless of what happened with Brexit. He's like Sanders in that he's a man of integrity and principle and as such doomed to fail in politics.

In a sense you could argue that he (back to Boris Johnson now) did "get Brexit done" in that the UK has officially left the EU but this has come (predictably) with a whole host of other issues that are FAR from being "done" and are kind of being handwaved aside by the Tories and the complicit right wing press.

Another thing that is a hot topic is obviously Covid. He keeps talking about how he has been great about his response to COVID but he has been terrible. The UK has had one of the worst death rates and the shambolic response to so many things has been awful (for example tons of money changed hands with regards to PPE contracts and the PPE never arrived and the company it was given to was run by the wife of one of the top Tories at the time, Matt Hancock... I may be wrong about some of the details on this one but the gist is the same). So no, he did not do well with COVID.

Another election promise was he would build 40 new hospitals across the UK. How this will happen, where they will be built, where the money is coming from, remains to be seen.

Otherwise, he's not really done anything except lie, cheat, break the law, reduce benefits and finding from the places that need them the most, stop free food for the most vulnerable children in society (until Marcus Rashford, a premier League footballer basically pressured them to change that...) and score a deal with that stronghold of human rights, Rwanda, to send refugees from here to them.

It's been nothing but corruption, deceit, hypocrisy, vile racism and back stabbing. He is the worst PM in my lifetime and that's against some staunch opposition. All he's achieved is making everything worse.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1427 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 08 July 2022 - 07:52 PM

40 hospitals is not happening without a massive injection of capital.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1428 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 July 2022 - 03:03 AM

View PostCyphon, on 08 July 2022 - 07:52 PM, said:

40 hospitals is not happening without a massive injection of capital.

Which is never going to happen.

It's a good soundbite though and that's apparently all that actually matters in politics these days...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1429 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 09 July 2022 - 07:24 PM

The problem with Corbyn was that he would always do what he thought was right, even when he was objectively incorrect; hence his approach to the Brexit Referendum. He loathes the EU as a capitalist institution, and he also knew business was for remaining, thus he believed on principle that the UK was better off out of it. And therefore he deliberately hamstrung the Labour Party's campaign to remain - which was the agreed policy. Because he was absolutely willing to do this, I'd argue that, despite agreeing with him on policy in quite a lot of areas, he'd have been just as bad as Boris, but in a different way. I shudder to think how he'd have dealt with Covid if he'd gotten it into his head that lockdowns were a bad idea.

Having pronciples is admirable, but sticking to your principles without being even slightly willing to comprehend that you may be mistaken is a recipe for disaster. And Corbyn was definitely that guy.

I did hold my nose and vote for him anyway. Because there's no way I'd ever be voting Tory.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 09 July 2022 - 07:27 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1430 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 July 2022 - 08:09 PM

At least Corbyn didn't hide in a fridge rather than face tough questions ʅ(ツ)ʃ
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1431 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 July 2022 - 07:26 AM

I'msure Corbyn was a nice guy, but a bit too fanatic in his principles and very unwilling to compromise. If I then see his utter nutcase of a brother I can only be thankful that JC was nowhere near any positions of power during the pandemic.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1432 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:53 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 09 July 2022 - 07:24 PM, said:

The problem with Corbyn was that he would always do what he thought was right, even when he was objectively incorrect; hence his approach to the Brexit Referendum. He loathes the EU as a capitalist institution, and he also knew business was for remaining, thus he believed on principle that the UK was better off out of it. And therefore he deliberately hamstrung the Labour Party's campaign to remain - which was the agreed policy. Because he was absolutely willing to do this, I'd argue that, despite agreeing with him on policy in quite a lot of areas, he'd have been just as bad as Boris, but in a different way. I shudder to think how he'd have dealt with Covid if he'd gotten it into his head that lockdowns were a bad idea.

Having pronciples is admirable, but sticking to your principles without being even slightly willing to comprehend that you may be mistaken is a recipe for disaster. And Corbyn was definitely that guy.

I did hold my nose and vote for him anyway. Because there's no way I'd ever be voting Tory.

I also think if he'd have run with the Remain campaign he would have been ever more shot down by the press than normal for being a hypocrite and not to be trusted, lacking principles etc. It was arguably the worst time for him to have been Labour leader (and yes, I voted for him too)

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 11 July 2022 - 06:54 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#1433 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:53 AM

Tories are lying scum and always have and will be. Never trust one.

From the point of view of their donors, the tory government has been a resounding success though. Which is to say that this government worked inherently for the ultra-rich who can get away with fiddling the system without getting twenty years like the rest of us would. But it's shite for everyone else.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1434 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 July 2022 - 11:46 AM

Once again there's ne'er a truer word spoken than in jest:

https://www.betootaa...-and-behaviour/

World First! British Toff Forced To Endure Repercussions Of His Own Incompetence And Behaviour

WENDELL HUSSEY | Cadet |CONTACT

In some shocking news from the United Kingdom, a born-to-rule politician has been forced out of his job because of his fuck ups.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced his resignation overnight, after finally succumbing to a long run of scandals.

He won’t be immediately quitting, saying that he wants to stay on as the caretaker Prime Minister to maintain some stability for the government.

Given the lack of stability for the majority of his Prime Ministership, plenty around the UK are pushing for him to just quit and let some other toff have a crack at running the country.

The falling on the sword comes as a huge shock to the United Kingdom and nations like Australia, who can’t fathom that a wealthy white English toff who came from the most prestigious school in England is going to actually have to resign because of his fuckups.

The resignation follows a string of poor decisions, from backflipping on herd immunity and letting the virus rip which killed hundreds of thousands of people, to hosting piss ups at his workplace while the rest of the nation were in the strictest of lockdowns, to promoting sexual predators to positions of power under the hope ‘that they would change and get better.’

“He’s actually had to resign because of prolonged incompetence, appalling behaviour, and mismanagement of the nation,” said one shocked Londoner this morning.

“I didn’t think this was how those things work,” she said of the end of Boris’s three-year term as PM.

“At least they haven’t in the past.”

“Shocking.”
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1435 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 July 2022 - 06:22 AM

Don't worry. He won't be enduring the repercussions for long. Once he's finished as PM he will still be allowed to write newspaper columns and give speeches for vast sums of money.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1436 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 July 2022 - 07:51 AM

Not to mention all those delicious directorships etc with companies that benefitted from his ... efforts ... :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1437 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:20 PM

View PostGorefest, on 07 July 2022 - 06:47 PM, said:

I cannot stand any of the Tory lot, although I may consider moving back to the Netherlands if Liz Truss gets in.

Oh ffs, really? Really?? I guess I will need to have a long conversation with the missus...

#1438 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:29 PM

View PostGorefest, on 21 July 2022 - 08:20 PM, said:

I cannot stand any of the Tory lot, although I may consider moving back to the Netherlands if Liz Truss gets in.

Oh ffs, really? Really?? I guess I will need to have a long conversation with the missus...

None of them are remotely palatable.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1439 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 July 2022 - 07:00 PM

View PostGorefest, on 21 July 2022 - 08:20 PM, said:

Take us with you!!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1440 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:00 PM

Caught some clips of the debate from evening past between Truss and Sunak. Obviously I don't have a dog in the fight and know nothing about these folks, but Truss has one of them British accents/dialects that I find annoying. Not sure what region of origin it is, but it's one of the annoying ones. Only caught bits but my take away is China is scary, and the rest of the world better get serious about competing, and the UK is a leader in providing support to Ukraine.

Oh snap, the latest debate cancelled because the host fainted? Where's Chuck Todd when you need him?

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users