• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2016 Summer Olympic Games

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:40 AM

Heartbreaking day for the Canadian women's gymnastics team.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:28 AM

I have now seen a team sport as brutal or more brutal then american football; women's Rugby sevens. Man that was a pleasant find while flipping around on a lazy Sunday looking for Olympics coverage. USA made a good showing but didn't advance out of the quarter finals stage. We tied Australia which was impressive. And one of our girls took out an Aussie for concussion protocol evaluation, man that was a vicious hit. Black eyes, no pads, cleats stomping on hands, you gotta be tough to play this sport. And I like the format of 7 minute halves, the matches are over in no time.

One negative, I'm still trying to understand the rules. There seemed to be times when the ball was awarded to a team and I didn't know why, and the announcers didn't do a good job of explaining. Also, I didn't understand the why/how of the field goal kick ball placement and how that is determined.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 August 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

I have now seen a team sport as brutal or more brutal then american football; women's Rugby sevens. Man that was a pleasant find while flipping around on a lazy Sunday looking for Olympics coverage. USA made a good showing but didn't advance out of the quarter finals stage. We tied Australia which was impressive. And one of our girls took out an Aussie for concussion protocol evaluation, man that was a vicious hit. Black eyes, no pads, cleats stomping on hands, you gotta be tough to play this sport. And I like the format of 7 minute halves, the matches are over in no time.

One negative, I'm still trying to understand the rules. There seemed to be times when the ball was awarded to a team and I didn't know why, and the announcers didn't do a good job of explaining. Also, I didn't understand the why/how of the field goal kick ball placement and how that is determined.

I agree, been loving Rugby Sevens for sure. The Canadian team is doing well...with the only loss so far against GB (who were damned, DAMNED amazing) and I hope they keep advancing. The beat France in a bit of a nailbiter. We play Aus next..and if we move on...GB again for the medal.

But yeah, it's a blast to watch.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostGorefest, on 07 August 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Van Vleuten is doing relatively okay. It has been an awful year in cycling for the Dutch with various falls in the Tour de France and other races as well, so when she went down it was like bloody deja vu. Luckily Van der Breggen came through for us. First Dutch gold is on the board!

Little update on Van Vleuten: severe concussion and three small hair fractures in her spine. Nothing serious enough to threaten her mobility or her spinal nerves.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#25 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostGorefest, on 08 August 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 07 August 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Van Vleuten is doing relatively okay. It has been an awful year in cycling for the Dutch with various falls in the Tour de France and other races as well, so when she went down it was like bloody deja vu. Luckily Van der Breggen came through for us. First Dutch gold is on the board!

Little update on Van Vleuten: severe concussion and three small hair fractures in her spine. Nothing serious enough to threaten her mobility or her spinal nerves.

Thank god. The way she landed, i wouldnt have been surprised if it was something much more serious.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, glad to hear she's going to be okay. Still, what a horrendous thing to have happen. My heart was in my throat when I saw her fall.

#27 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

Considering riders in the Men's competition (Henao & Nibali - both of them are excellent pilots) crashed at roughly the same location, both with broken bones, one really has to wonder at the safety measures taken by the organisation. They'd put fences in the climb, why not on the descent? Bags of straw at that location would have been a very prudent safety measure and there was probably enough time for that in between the men and women's races.

This was in the finale, so riders are going to take risks, but anyone who has ever sat a race bike will tell you that a raised sidewalk in a bend like this is extremely dangerous. Van Vleuten had already lost her balance, but was looking to correct that and slowly steer away (too fast, especially on the painted stripe while steering, and it raises the tire, making you lose control and disrupting your balance when the wheel comes down - especially on a wet surface, which is exactly what happened here).
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#28 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 August 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

I agree, been loving Rugby Sevens for sure. The Canadian team is doing well...with the only loss so far against GB (who were damned, DAMNED amazing) and I hope they keep advancing. The beat France in a bit of a nailbiter. We play Aus next..and if we move on...GB again for the medal.

Bummer, Canada lost to Australia. I guess that is expected though, as Australia dominates rugby usually. Canada made a good showing though, good for them.

I sure did feel bad for Colombia watching them play Fiji and Australia, it was no contest.

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 August 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

Bummer, Canada lost to Australia. I guess that is expected though, as Australia dominates rugby usually. Canada made a good showing though, good for them.

I sure did feel bad for Colombia watching them play Fiji and Australia, it was no contest.

Goddamit, I'm at work man! I was gonna watch it when I got home.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

#30 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

For field goal placement, wherever the try was scored (where the ball was downed), the corresponding spot is where the kicker gets to take the field goal. So the closer to the center the better, but it's also harder to score that way.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#31 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 August 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

Ooops, uh, spoiler alert? Posted Image
Great Britain lost to New Zealand. So Australia vs. New Zealand for gold and Canada vs. Great Britain for bronze.

Here's that hit from USA player on Australian player.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 August 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

Great Britain lost to New Zealand. So Australia vs. New Zealand for gold and Canada vs. Great Britain for bronze.

No worries. I'll still watch the match.

I have a feeling GB will get Bronze, they destroyed us last time. Hopefully not, but I'm not holding my breath for the win.

#33 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

That hit by the USA player is so dumb. It's head to head contact and probably both players should have been taken off to check for concussions.

#34 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 August 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 August 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

No worries. I'll still watch the match.

I have a feeling GB will get Bronze, they destroyed us last time. Hopefully not, but I'm not holding my breath for the win.

GB didn't look all that good against NZ. I thought Canada put up a better show against Australia. So I think Canada has a good chance to capture the bronze.

It's amazing there are multiple matches a day. Some tough ladies.

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:09 AM

Canada rugby sevens Bronze baby! So amazing! Feel bad for Britain though, they played hard.

Also BK, I saw a funny meme with a pic of Phelps before his race with his hood up and the caption was "Michael Phelps looks like Anakin before he's about to raid the Jedi temple" and I laughed cause isnt Phelps kind of an arrogant dick? Lol

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 August 2016 - 12:11 AM

#36 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:34 AM

If i ha 19 gold medals i'd probably be an arrogant dick too.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#37 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

Back injuries make mortals out of even the superhuman.

#38 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:37 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 August 2016 - 01:34 AM, said:

Chick from Hungary (Katinka)who wreaked the pool the other day takes gold in 100 backstroke. Baker takes silver.

And Canada ties for bronze! 1/100th of a second off silver. CLOSE race.

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:13 AM

And the look of daggers King gave the Russian was awesome too! good for her, she did great!

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 August 2016 - 02:18 AM, said:

LMAO!!!! QT you see Phelps in that back room?

Now that's angry Anakin

Le Clos was taunting him more or less indirectly from the look of it and commentators were saying Phelps appeared to be growling.

Wow le Clos was staring him down in that line up...

Saw it after the fact...Laughed my tail off.

You know what though? I hope Le Clos takes gold in the final, just because I know Phelps would have a shitfit that he was robbed of his 20th gold...it would be amusing to watch.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users