Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series officially in development - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series officially in development It's happening! (probably)

#121 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

so long as there is a tea preparation montage we're sorted.

I wonder how much screen time the tit slapping will get.

how tight will the make Mins pants.

will the lead have to get calve implants?

what of the rapist granny? will Mat start the equivalent of a metoo movement?

lets make one change and just kill Faile instead of kidnapping.

Hope I'm wrong but I see much more Legends of the Seeker/ shanarra here than GOT

#122 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

I imagine the casting call for the Aes Sedai will be along the lines of "required - 100 crotchety bitches to play raging bitches, resting bitch face and heaving bosum required"

#123 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

On the one hand you claim you're not perving out, on the other hand you demand to see male taint. Can't have it both ways, BK.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#124 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

Officially a go at Amazon!

Also, it SOUNDs like Moraine is the POV/protag...which makes me happy.

I can think of no better choice than to resettle the series in the POV of Moraine instead of Rand. You get a female lead, and you still get the lions share of the story, just through her eyes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#125 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

And let the flame wars at tar valon over casting commence!!

#126 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:09 PM

You know the fanboyz are going to lose their shits over the pov thing.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#127 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:48 PM

Oh I didn't even think it was worth stating.
Wait until they cut the tit slapping

#128 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

I hope they use Terez

Pay for her brain.

No offence to her knowledge of the series. It's inexhaustible obviously...but it's at a level that I don't know would be helpful when considering a likely 10-ep/season TV show. I realize I said something like this before. This is a series that is going to benefit most by the people willing to edit and change MASSIVE swathes of it to make it work in the new medium. To the point that I doubt WoT the book series, and WoT the TV series are going to much resemble each other after the adaptation in the end. And that would be a good thing, because WoT the book series translated as it is to TV is an untenable mess that would not get past season 1. Terez is an encyclopedic-knowledged WOT superfan. So, like Christopher Tolkien to PJ's LOTR movies, I think she might be too close to the source material? Just my two cents.

Judkins sounds like a fan of the series, so I expect it to be at least beholden to the major plot points...but he also understands the medium (since he works in it) and its needs enough to see the translation through to what works on TV and what doesn't.

Moiraine-as-POV (for the first season at least) sounds like a very good book-to-TV change to get started with as it makes so much more sense from an overall narrative POV to remove her "she's the mysterious powerful wizard taking us all on this journey!" narrative it is in the books as we follow Rand, and make her instead our POV where it grounds you in the WoT world much better to know who she is, and what she's about from the outset. It also allows all three male protagonists to exist on an even keel from the get-go with one another, and that's smart as they all have their parts to play in the end, no matter how important Rand becomes to the whole shebang down the line.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#129 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:35 PM

Maybe I'm wrong when it comes to WoT, but Terez always strikes me as way more reasonable/less precious about the properties she does deep dives into, than you'd expect. She's a rarity among nerds: she knows what she's talking about without becoming Comic Book Guy. But I do take your point, you gotta find that sweet spot between source exactitude and screencraft.

#130 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:19 AM

I predict they will all come out to everybody's satisfaction, and there will be no controversy whatsoever.

#131 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:20 AM

View Postworry, on 02 October 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

Maybe I'm wrong when it comes to WoT, but Terez always strikes me as way more reasonable/less precious about the properties she does deep dives into, than you'd expect. She's a rarity among nerds: she knows what she's talking about without becoming Comic Book Guy. But I do take your point, you gotta find that sweet spot between source exactitude and screencraft.

I might agree about anything else...but with WoT as far as I could tell she was a super fan who would argue for the most convoluted or minor plot points with anyone who dared step out of line. When we were initially talking about this show she even seemed disinclined to buckle on certain aspects that would not fly on a tv show in the late 2010’s. Malleable was not a word I’d use to describe that. She cared a lot about the series.

But then, she’s not really here any longer to talk about it, so the point is moot. And who knows...maybe she’s helping with the show already and I am wrong.

#132 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:35 AM

Let’s be honest... they’re going with Moiraine because she’s bisexual.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#133 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:03 AM

I hope they keep it PG.

#134 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:03 AM

By PG I meant "Plenty of Gratuitous nudity".

#135 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:06 AM

I assume for Mins costume department it will just be jeggings,. That wardrobe will boil wash between every episode to ensure they constantly shrink

#136 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:27 AM

Actually, I hope they go full game of thrones nudity, cocks and all.

Jordan really would be turning in his wish fulfillment grave then

#137 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

Moraine as the protagonist is an inspired choice, I think. To be honest, the books themselves would have been better too, if we'd get to watch Rand's descent into madness from the outside. Or so I think. But then, my opinion of the whole series is hardly a secret around here. I am happy for there to be substantial changes, but I get that others get ruffled at that sort of thing.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#138 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 03 October 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Moraine as the protagonist is an inspired choice, I think. To be honest, the books themselves would have been better too, if we'd get to watch Rand's descent into madness from the outside. Or so I think. But then, my opinion of the whole series is hardly a secret around here. I am happy for there to be substantial changes, but I get that others get ruffled at that sort of thing.

Agreed 100% about Moiraine being an inspired choice. And I also think Rand's descent into lunacy would have been more interesting from the outside. Moiraine grounds the story better for at least the first few books, Rand Mat and Perrin can potentially exist on an even keel (possibly with Egwene and Nynaeve too) until later in the story when we get down to the nitty gritty of who everyone is/how important their individual parts to the whole will be. It might be a very interesting choice for a TV audience to only find out the Dragon Reborn stuff piecemeal - it's a long time since I read the series but I seem to remember feeling like it's all dropped on your head very quickly all at once.

I liked the Q&A too. Anyone who's favourite scene is Egwene's last one is alright by me :)

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 03 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#139 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 03 October 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. Rand was tricky. I always liked him, I rooted for him. Experiencing his madness from his point of view was important. It was important to see because as with people who are really mad in real life they often don't know it. Rand was mad, he was normal mad and he was also magically mad in a world with different rules to ours. Him remembering his past life was supposed to be normal, he is the dragon and has lived a thousand lives. Him talking to himself and thinking of his past life as a different him was not normal (Apparently). Since I liked him though I definitely didn't think of him as mad, I accepted his excuses and made some of my own. It took several books and rereads etc. before my perspective shifted.

Then there was also his regular madness. His growing temper (Stress or madness?), his inability to kill women etc. All of the male leads were uncomfortable with killing woman but only rand kept a memorized list of literally thousands of women in his head. In book 3 I think he clearly decapitates a female dark friend to save his life, then going forward from that point I don't think he is capable of killing or even hurting a women until he balefires Graendals entire castle. He went full blown nuts on this issue. Yet in his head it always sounded reasonable and chivalrous even as Lanfear was about to tear his head off.

As for the Moraine point of view. I think it can work for season 1. Not sure I agree with the choice but I can see it working for season 1. However by the end of the season when we realize that Rand is the dragon reborn, which means he is the messiah and anti-Christ in one person he has to become the focus of everything. By the end of the series its perfectly clear that rand is the lynch pin upon which the universe turns. He is the creators champion but while morridin thinks he is the dark ones champion we actually learn that its meant to be rand. Essentially whoever Rand chooses to back (whether he realizes who he has chosen or not) is the winner.

Still I suspect that while they mean she is the protagonist I don't think you can really say that in a TV show. Its not gonna be first PoV like say Harry Dresden series. I'm sure we will see plenty of scenes with the other protagonists. I suppose book 3 though can sorta be the model. Rand doesn't really appear in the book except hallway In the middle and right at the end and yet the whole book is about him.

I liked the Q&A too. Anyone who's favourite scene is Egwene's last one is alright by me

came back to say that Egwene once she becomes Amyrlin is an almost insufferable character. Her take over of the tower was fun to read if a bit rushed (had to start moving though) but also a bit mary sue-ish. Once she actually took over though...

Edit- Final edit to add that its hard to go back to my thoughts when I was reading the book for the first time 14 years or so ago but the dragon was set up very early on as the savior of the world. However he was portrayed as a necessary evil. Without him the DO wins and all life ends. With him the DO is defeated but the survivors might have wished they died since the whole of civilization will probably collapse. If your paying attention you can quickly catch on though that rand is the channeler and therefore probably the dragon and also we know by this point doomed to madness. You probably wont catch that he heals Egwene's horse but you will catch that he summons lightning to escape from dark friends and that he gets channeling sickness soon after while on a boat. That said I also remember lanfear meets all 3 of the boys and acts like she can recognize Lews Therin in all of them. I think I had the theory early on in the book that Lews Therin may have been reincarnated as three people or something like that and they were all the dragon. It never really sat well with me that Mat and Perrin turn out to be nobodies. Not even heroes of the horn.

However the one thing I think the books did do wrong is that the idea that the Dragon might be dangerous is quickly lost to the reader. I understood why so many characters in the books would be wary of him but I quickly lost any doubts myself that Rand was an important force for good.

This post has been edited by Cause: 03 October 2018 - 09:44 AM

#140 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostCause, on 03 October 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

came back to say that Egwene once she becomes Amyrlin is an almost insufferable character. Her take over of the tower was fun to read if a bit rushed (had to start moving though) but also a bit mary sue-ish. Once she actually took over though...

Fair. She was never a favourite of mine at any point (I had difficulty really "liking" any of the female cast if I'm honest) - but I do like her ending. I couldn't really tell you why, it just really shone and struck a chord.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 03 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users