• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls 3 prepare to die for the last time

#221 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

That swamp was amazing to encounter. I loved the artillery experience.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#222 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

I found Midir.

This is going to take me a while!

My problem is trying to decide between a lighter build that can dodge the fire, keep up close, but doesn't do as much damage,(+10 refined dark sword) and a heavier/slower build that hits harder but is slower to dodge. At the moment I'm learning his attacks, and can dodge a few of them, but am too slow to reach his head when he lowers it... then I get pounded. And set on fire.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 09 February 2018 - 06:50 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#223 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

I did Midir with two friends and we died approximately forty times. It was glorious seeing a dragon boss at full difficulty just shredding us over and over.

#224 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

I ended up picking a light build, but very heavy sword because blocking was mostly useless against Midir.

There's a video of a player who beat Midir while only walking. So it can be done in extremely heavy gear.

#225 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

I'm mostly light build with a big sword, dodging his attacks and hitting his head.

You only need to get caught out once though and that's it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#226 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

Go for the feet too.

#227 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

Wow. This is turning into a real fight/shitfest.

I know his moveset, and I've got into a pretty steady rhythm of dodge and hit; I'm using the hardest hitting sword I can with lightening buffs so head shots actually do some harm.

But still, the best I've done so far is get him down to half! Despite knowing what's coming, I still get hit by that charge attack, tail swipe, and occasionally the laser but I'm better at dodging that now.

I think I'm going to shed more armour, all it does is slow me down. Less weight, and better dodging.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 February 2018 - 07:46 AM

#228 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

Take all the armor off.

#229 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

View Postamphibian, on 12 February 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

Take all the armor off.

This works well - there's such a small window to hit her head, that the extra speed allows you to run in and hit before she rears up or swipes again.

It's certainly a challenge. I'm now using the Wolf Knight Sword; it's not as damaging as the greatsword but I can swing it quickly, and it does 20% extra against Dark bosses like Midir.

I still haven't beat her. I have her moveset down though, and I've got her down to 3/4 health (i got flamed while dodging the humanities as I couldnt keep track of het at the same time as evading them) so I know it's doable. It's just fucking difficult.

I don't know how to beat the crazy lazy in phase two. The first one I now bait, dodge into and use to get in another head shot, but that second one is mental.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

#230 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

It's such a fun battle to fight Midir. I put it on a par with Sister Friede.

#231 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Fuck, I just got it down to the moment it staggers, only instead of doing the critical, I just swiped a couple of times and didn't trigger the visceral! I then somehow got her down to one hit of health left.. and died with a tiny bit of red on her health bar. The kids were going mental.

One hit away.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

#232 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:56 PM

Fuck, finally beat Midir!

That was epic! I just wish the kids were awake for that one, it was such a good fight!

I did it solo, with no armour of any kind. I used the Wolf knight sword, Flynns ring, Estus ring, Lloyds shield ring, and the Hunters ring. Flynns ring upped attack to 577, the shield ring stopped me being one shotted, and the Estus ring meant I filled the health bar fully so that the shield ring would work. Finally got the visceral and finished her off!

Never had an adrenaline rush like that from a game before, that was awesome!

#233 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Realizing that the armor that's so useful elsewhere is something that holds you back against Midir (unless you're a truly good DS player) and charging in with more vulnerability is an interesting thing to do. And it makes succeeding a very cool thing.

If you can, try to fight her with two other people to get the full strength version. It is so fun.

#234 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

I've used the no armour strategy before throughout the series - just not on something with a hitbar as intimidating as Midir.

I just got used to baiting the claw swipes and bites, and getting a head shot in. The charged attack on the Wolf Sword is basically a forward airborne swing which deals 1k of damage - without armour it was possible to pull off with enough stamina for an escape roll.

I tried helping someone co op, but it's totally different as you can't lead her or bait, as she's all over the place! I may have to give it a go though as after all those attempts, I'm actually missing being able to have another shot at her.

#235 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

Onto Gael now.

So far he only seems to have a few moves, but that second phase is still whacking me. I may need to adjust equipment, not quite happy yet.

#236 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

View PostTraveller, on 01 March 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

Onto Gael now.

So far he only seems to have a few moves, but that second phase is still whacking me. I may need to adjust equipment, not quite happy yet.

I'm not sure it's equipment with him that'll be a big help. It's figuring out what his attacks are and where he likes to use the harder to dodge ones.

#237 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

I know it's all move recognition, but sometimes the right rings can swing it.

Using Flynns ring while completely unencumbered gave me a load more damage against Midir. That's not going to cut it here though I suspect - that second phase seems to be all dodging his sword swipes, and trying not to get hit by crossbow bolts and lightning at the same time. Oh and his cloak. And unarmoured just means one stray hit and it's over.

May even need a shield?

#238 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

I have always been weirdly good vs lightning types so that never bothered me. What I ended up using was a very strong axe and yes, using a shield at times. T he ring stuff I've forgotten, as I played this on my PC which is currently disassembled.

#239 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

I finished the game, and the series. Great fight to go out on though; finally just whittled his health away, dodging and using a shield occasionally. Got a bit frantic at the end when he was going crazy - he had a sliver left but I was patient enough to wait for a sure opening, and not rushing it and getting pasted seconds from victory.

Damn, I finished it.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users