• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls 3 prepare to die for the last time

#121 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostTraveller, on 10 May 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

I went back for a go at the storm king. I can get him to the second phase solo, but just can't finish him as he leaves hardly any space to actually hit him without taking a fatal hit.

There are also hardly any summon signs for some reason; I've managed a couple of co op attempts but only after a lot of waiting about for a sign.

So I got bored, went and killed Gundyr; and then went back to help others beat him - and found out that it's incredibly profitable! He's easy to beat when you're summoned to co-op - I made about 150k souls in a few goes, plus an ember for each win.

I'm tempted to just go for the final bosses but I can't just leave the Nameless King there!

I made over a million souls fighting the Dancer over and over for Sunlight Medals, her moveset still means nothing to me, sooooooooo erratic it's insane, hardest boss in the game for me except probably Nameless. He packs a proper punch so he cane be very hard to beat solo, full health to a quarter in one blow! Try Thunder Stoneplate Ring and the Ring of Steel Protection plus Ring of favour, should give you more survivability if you get hit.

I worked my way through over half of NG+, currently farming Silver Knights to try and get the Darkmoon covenant item to drop, need 30 for the final miracle and a ring. Then I'm going to join the Mound-Makers and have fun as a mad phantom gathering vertebrae shackles for the final Pyro as well. I'll report on any success I have solo against Nameless when I get there once again :D
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#122 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

I have all the stoneplate rings but the Flame one.. where the hell is it?

Had a few more goes at Nameless, then went and cleared the Archives and those gargoyle things on the roof. Dragon Armor guy dropped first go, and I've made it to the roof with the bridge and the fog door.

I just love the way the bridge with the barricades is a big flashback to the very first stretch of Demon's Souls - is this the last boss before Cinder?

I really want to use the carthus pyro that boosts attacks but somehow still need a faith boost. Back to Gundyr for a few thousand souls I guess!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#123 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostTraveller, on 12 May 2016 - 05:46 AM, said:

I have all the stoneplate rings but the Flame one.. where the hell is it?

Had a few more goes at Nameless, then went and cleared the Archives and those gargoyle things on the roof. Dragon Armor guy dropped first go, and I've made it to the roof with the bridge and the fog door.

I just love the way the bridge with the barricades is a big flashback to the very first stretch of Demon's Souls - is this the last boss before Cinder?

I really want to use the carthus pyro that boosts attacks but somehow still need a faith boost. Back to Gundyr for a few thousand souls I guess!

Ah yeah same thing happened to me, I was going through all my rings and suddenly Realised I didn't have the Flame one. It's actually the first stoneplate ring you can get I think which is funny. If you joined the Mound Makers covenant (needs to be done before the Curse Rotted Tree I think) this will be easier to describe, because the ring is on a corpse hanging from a tree in the area that the cage carrying enmy you need to interact with to join the covenant is patrolling. Basically travel to the Undead Settlement bonfire, run through the houses down to the area with the Evangelist praying by the big fire, turn right over the big bridge, avoid the house and instead roll through the boxes and go on behind it. Deal with the blow dart thrall enemies and their friends and then climb the ladder right in front of you. Drop down off of the house to the right and the patrolling cage bro is wandering up and down right in front of you, the ring is on a corpse hanging off of a tree at the far end. You need to chop the corpse down to score the loot, if you're quick you can do it before it falls, but the point seems to be that it should fall, if that happens head to the area where you first meet Eygon of Carim (the guy with Morne's Great Hammer) - outside the door that leads to the lift where you first meet Siegward - it should be laying on the floor right across from where Eygon was sitting basically.

Cage Bro is interesting as well, in that you have to talk to a weird interactable version of those walking cage enemies, otherwise he is hostile and will attack you on sight. If you talk to the specific erm 'guy' - who is round to the left behind the house with the ladder I mentioned you must climb earlier - Cage Bro is passive and he'll let you hop into his cage then throw you down the hole where the boss fight ends up in the second phase. There you can speak to Holy Knight Hodrick to join the covenant, Hodrick is merely a corpse if you fall down only during the boss fight. Not sure what happens regarding the cage carrying guy's hostility if you talk to the cage NPC after you've done the boss fight, but seeing as joining the covenant is impossible after that it's a moot point tbh.

I actually never played Demon's Souls, DS1 was my initiation. Yes, the Twin Princes are the last fight you need to do to be able to face Cinder. And you can fight Cinder and still play in NG, this installment allows you to choose when to go to NG+ even after defeating the 'final' boss. Of course could you move on without beating the Nameless King? :D

The Faith req is 12 for for the Flame Arc right? I use it, I went up to 16 Faith simply to use the Sacred Oath buff that is the weapon art on the Sunlight Straight Sword (16 faith required to wield it), it's insanely powerful and to use the actual miracle you need 30 faith, as well as 10 sunlight medals for the Sun Bro covenant. I just switch the the Sunlight sword hit Sacred Oath, switch back to the Dark Sword hit Carthus and power on through any and all enemies in my way :D

#124 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:27 PM

I went to Gundyr for about 4 levels worth of souls in a few fights (which seems a bit crazy) then boosted to get the carthus attack boost.

Went back for flame ring, then had a few more pops at storm king - managed to get him down to under a quarter of health but that was the closest yet.

I don't mind, I've got time and I've got the first phase down almost perfectly now. I just wish I could summon some help there, I could use a distraction during the second part.

Demons Souls is up there with DS1 for me. It was actually harder in places. You could only heal with herbs, and although on the first run you'd find some along the way, when you died, they didn't respawn, so each turn got progressively more difficult. Come to think of it, the Stormruler sword and boss battle are straight out of Demons too.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#125 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:46 PM

I found the first phase with the dragon remarkably easy, first try so before I summoned, downed the dragon very quickly. Was thinking, wow is this really the difficult fight everyone ex talking about? Then phase 2 started :/ I got him down to under half health of that go, but that took all my estus, my dodging just weren't good enough. Probably shouldn't have just summoned after that, I would have gut him eventually, I was impatient for his demise and didn't really care if I did it solo, but I'll definitely have to try on NG+

#126 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 12 May 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

I found the first phase with the dragon remarkably easy, first try so before I summoned, downed the dragon very quickly. Was thinking, wow is this really the difficult fight everyone ex talking about? Then phase 2 started :/ I got him down to under half health of that go, but that took all my estus, my dodging just weren't good enough. Probably shouldn't have just summoned after that, I would have gut him eventually, I was impatient for his demise and didn't really care if I did it solo, but I'll definitely have to try on NG+

I had a slow-down after a finished 3 bosses in one evening. I quite like going back and making some more progress each time; way more fun. That's the main hook of DS, although this time round I'm really into going back to help out with previous bosses as a phantom. You can tell the development team put the emphasis on the journey rather than the destination; a lack of lengthy cut scenes at the end, and the reward? Going back to do it all again!

Last night I met a ned stark, a Jorg, and a go-on-ragequit which is a pretty funny one for an invader. And once I got the Carthus boost, I went in to Gundyr and pretty much beat him to death solo in front of the host and another phantom, which was satisfying!

I'll get stormy, I'll keep going until I solo him too. I already managed to get him into a loop of him charging and me hitting him as he went past.

#127 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

I'm telling you what farming Concords from Silver Knights for the Darkmoon rewards is hands down the single most annoying farm I have ever done on any game ever - this includes all Final Fantasy games that I have played!! It's just a bullshit drop rate, killed then over and over for about 2 hours, saw 1 drop!!!!

I would just use PvP but the Datkmoon Blades are still broken and simply don't work as they are supposed, meaning this way is probably still quicker - especially factoring in my own general naffness at PvP.

Trying to get this done before the end of the month, so I'm free to return to The Witcher with both expansions. Don't think it's going to happen.

EDIT: I made 2.5 million souls farming the knights, spent about 800 thousand of healing my dark sigil and various miscellaneous upgrades. Then lost the remaining 1.7 million dying twice to Yuria of Londor in bullshit circumstances. And have since made back 1.3 mill fighting the knights. In all that time I've hard 3 concord drops :D it's driving me mental.

EDIT 2: Playing to an Amon Amarth soundtrack helps ameliorate the issues slightly. I think the drop rates understand the Viking awesomeness too, 2 Concords in a row! I fear I won't see another all day now lol

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 14 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

#128 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

Thank fuck for that I finally have all 30 Concords and with that the Darkmoon Blade miracle and master of miracles trophy :D

God that was an ordeal! Final soul count 7'849'500 - from just two enemies! At 11'250 souls each that is 697 kills, all for 27 Concords (I already had 3), that's approximately 1 in every 26 kills, I tell you it often felt like more!

I now I have 699 titanite shards, 375 large shards, 61 shields, 120 helms, 108 armours, 101 gauntlets and 111 leggings! Totally insane lol

#129 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

Well done for getting there at last! I've never really paid much attention to the trophies but it's nice to get one occasionally when you've put the effort in.

I seem to remember the trophies in past games were uncommon - you have to follow a particular path or upgrade to get anything. I've been back through to get specific armor and weapons but not solely for the trophies - I don't have that sort of time!

#130 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 15 May 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Thank fuck for that I finally have all 30 Concords and with that the Darkmoon Blade miracle and master of miracles trophy :D

God that was an ordeal! Final soul count 7'849'500 - from just two enemies! At 11'250 souls each that is 697 kills, all for 27 Concords (I already had 3), that's approximately 1 in every 26 kills, I tell you it often felt like more!

I now I have 699 titanite shards, 375 large shards, 61 shields, 120 helms, 108 armours, 101 gauntlets and 111 leggings! Totally insane lol

Dark Soooooouuuullllssss.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#131 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

View PostTraveller, on 15 May 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

Well done for getting there at last! I've never really paid much attention to the trophies but it's nice to get one occasionally when you've put the effort in.

I seem to remember the trophies in past games were uncommon - you have to follow a particular path or upgrade to get anything. I've been back through to get specific armor and weapons but not solely for the trophies - I don't have that sort of time!

I am somewhat of a trophy erm enthusiast if you will lol I don't always have this kind if time either, I often end up punishing myself by playing till silly O clock and then having to wake up early the next day :/

So freakin happy that is over with though, I see Silver Knights in my sleep now :D lol

On to Vertebra Shackles next when I have the inclination. Shouldn't be half as annoying seeing as the PvP for the Mound Makers actually works!

Thing is once I have the Platinum trophy for this, I fear my mind won't let me ignore Scholar of the First Sin any longer.

#132 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:38 PM

Fairly steamed through the end of the game, just beat the Princes and Cinder in quick succession for the End of Fire ending.

Still can't summon anyone at the Nameless King - I can now beat the first stage almost perfectly since I found the eye-stabby move you can do on the stunned storm drake though. I just keep getting caught out on the last quarter of the fight with Nameless. At least he's proving a challenge, more than the final bosses anyway. I'd just like to see how I'd fare with someone to distract him.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 15 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

#133 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostTraveller, on 15 May 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Fairly steamed through the end of the game, just beat the Princes and Cinder in quick succession for the End of Fire ending.

Still can't summon anyone at the Nameless King - I can now beat the first stage almost perfectly since I found the eye-stabby move you can do on the stunned storm drake though. I just keep getting caught out on the last quarter of the fight with Nameless. At least he's proving a challenge, more than the final bosses anyway. I'd just like to see how I'd fare with someone to distract him.

He's definitely the hardest boss in the game, not sure where I'd rank him amongst Souls bosses overall but highly I reckon. The thing with summoning another human player is that it invariably breaks pretty much all bosses, the AI simply can't deal with 2 human players as long as they are both any semblance of alright at the game. I will be back up to Nameless on NG+ pretty soon I imagine, I have a very empty week, so I'll let you know how I fare, want to take him solo this time.

The Princes took me 3 tries and Cinder only 1, I think difficulty wise this is the easiest Souls game to date.

#134 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 16 May 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

The Princes took me 3 tries and Cinder only 1, I think difficulty wise this is the easiest Souls game to date.

Yes even an npc summon is enough to draw attention and focus their attacks while you flank them. The Princes fight is the first where I used the white stone to help someone without even seeing the boss first. I helped co op then went back into my own game and beat them first go.

Definitely easiest, but not in a way that feels like it's been simplified - it's hit a good balance, I think. Totally enjoyable playthrough.

#135 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

View PostTraveller, on 16 May 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 16 May 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yes even an npc summon is enough to draw attention and focus their attacks while you flank them. The Princes fight is the first where I used the white stone to help someone without even seeing the boss first. I helped co op then went back into my own game and beat them first go.

Definitely easiest, but not in a way that feels like it's been simplified - it's hit a good balance, I think. Totally enjoyable playthrough.

Agree entirely on that point, definitely my favourite Souls game, the fact that it's easier doesn't take away, because it never feels simplified like you say

So collecting shackles took me no time at all, at least relatively anyhow, LOOOOOOOT OF GANKING IN THIS GAME THOUGH! lol I ploughed through the rest of NG+ at breakneck pace seeing as I only needed the + rings (yeah I kinda looked up where they were tbh), stayed up stupidly late again and finished it in the early hours of Monday morning.

Had things to do on Monday so no playing. But I spent the better part of today co-oping with my brother, beat NG++ in about 6 hours or so, collecting ++ rings as I went.

Platinum Trophy is now mine! :whistle:

Spose I'll PvP until the DLC now lol :p Or play through the Witcher again, yeah I think a souls break is called for :laughing:

#136 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hah, well played Trophy hunter!

I only got into the first third of the Witcher before getting bored. Can't really explain why, just didn't grab me. Suppose I could have another look, but I doubt anything has changed. Maybe it's the whole playing an existing character thing - playing as Geralt doesn't make it an rpg to me. I'd love to explore that landscape as a rogue/thief, or a knight, taking class related quests.

I feel like I've done DS3 for now - no doubt I'll be back, esp when dlc beckons.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

#137 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

View PostTraveller, on 17 May 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

Hah, well played Trophy hunter!

I only got into the first third of the Witcher before getting bored. Can't really explain why, just didn't grab me. Suppose I could have another look, but I doubt anything has changed. Maybe it's the whole playing an existing character thing - playing as Geralt doesn't make it an rpg to me. I'd love to explore that landscape as a rogue/thief, or a knight, taking class related quests.

I feel like I've done DS3 for now - no doubt I'll be back, esp when dlc beckons.

Haha, thanks :laughing:

Absolutely love The Witcher, far and away my GOTY for last year, still not been beat this year actually, even by this threads namesake honestly. Though I do understand your pint about playing as Geralt, The Witcher world with a Bethesda/Souls style character creation would beyond incredible, I'd be surprised if it never happened tbh, the universe in which the stories are set is rich enough to accommodate such an endeavour for sure.

But yeah I think I'll probs do some PvP, gotta get my arse kicked by my younger brother at some point - depressing to admit lol - but I doubt I'll be playing it nearly as much until the DLC drops somewhere down the line.

#138 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

I've finally gotten around to the last boss of this game. It took me a while, partially because of work, but also because I decided to scrap my int character after 30 or so hours and instead went for a Strenght/Vitality/faith build. A build that turned the game into something akin to easy mode. I've breezed through the game, and am now sporting the full exile armor set (except for the helmet, I'm using the fallen knight one), a black knight's shield and the, erm, Demon King's Club. I've been having a lot of fun with helping people through the different bosses. So much fun that I've climbed pretty far up the rankings I think. Or I dunno. There are probably crazy people around with thousands of medallions.

My next goal is to push my vitality up far enough to exchange my shield for one of the massive greatshields. Then I might deal with the last boss. Maybe.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#139 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

The Lords of the Fallen convinced me my time was better spent in Dark Souls 3. So I've started a pyromancer character, and I'm having much more fun than I did with the sorcerer. Though that may at least partially be because of all the updates since then.

I'm focusing primarily on Attunement, intelligence and faith. I am using the starting ax with a fire upgrade, a large wooden shield and a mix of the pryomancy armour with some other stuff. The end result is a character resembling some kind of primordial viking. That throws fire. It's a little trickier than my previous one to play, I need to get back into the dodging game, but it's a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll reach a point where I'll be ready for the DLC when it comes out.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#140 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

I learned how to play melee with this game which has been cool. We started getting busy with the B&B so I stopped playing but I was just farming souls before the end boss to be fair. When does the DLC drop?

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users