• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terrorism in the West

#41 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostTerez, on 18 April 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

We can buy from Iran now. I doubt it will be a simple trade-off but that gives us a lot of leeway we didn't have before.

And fund a different brand of terrorism instead! Victory!

#42 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

That the west persists in ISIS's own self-delusion that they are in any way whatsoever Muslim, helps to foster alienating western attitudes and increase the ease and speed at which poor, disaffected youths can and will be radicalised and brainwashed by groups and individuals who in all actuality have no spiritual nor ideological belief in the hate they preach beyond a generational and abiding hatred for western imperialism. That ISIS as a group believe that they are fighting to bring about an Islamic Caliphate I have no doubt, that the average foot soldiers believe nothing beyond what they are told by self-aggrandizing leaders who never see a bomb or a gun in their lives and profit financially from each senseless death is similarly beyond question. There is an ideology behind the masterminds of vicious terrorist attacks (as opposed to the people who actually carry them out) and it is not so much Islam as anti-western sentiment - it is a falsity that they are one and the same. As long as the west continues to portray Islam as ISIS, and does not denounce ISIS for the clear and outright perversion that it actually is then we are doing half there job for them, in perpetuating an environment that will churn out easy targets for proselytizing nutjobs to lure in with false promises and twisted interpretations they almost certainly do not even believe in, much less understand.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#43 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Fucking dingbats:

http://www.news.com....894df4ede3e7b96

Robert ‘Musa’ Cerantonio: Fall of an Aussie Islamic State fanboy
MAY 12, 20169:51PM

Liz Burke
news.com.au
@lizeburke
HE’S been described as a “spiritual authority” and an “inspiration” to jihadists, but the Aussie wannabe terrorist’s harebrained plot to sail towards Syria in a tinnie was an extraordinary fail.
Robert “Musa” Cerantonio has worked hard to build up his reputation as an Islamic State authority among jihadist wannabes.
But the foiled plan to flee Australia for Syria with four of his would-be foreign fighter mates may have done some serious damage to the bad boy’s tough image.
Melbourne born and Catholic raised, Cerantonio converted to Islam at 17.
He was a star on the footy field and a well known party boy during his days at Footscray Technical College, then threw it all away for a spot on the local hate preaching circuit.
He also spent some time preaching overseas on a TV station in Cairo, but his views proved too extreme for the broadcaster and he began preaching on social media.
In a 2014 report published by the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation, Cerantonio was identified as one of the two most important “new spiritual authorities” recruiting foreign fighters.

The now 30-year-old emerged as an IS poster boy, becoming notorious for posting videos of his radical views to social media that were sympathetic to the terror outfit.
He would preach the message of Islam and the importance of Sharia law, and encourage his online followers to pledge allegiance to IS.
This week’s attempt to sail a small boat to Indonesia and catch a flight to Syria was not the IS heavyweight’s first attempt to reach the forbidden destination.
He was arrested in the Philippines in 2014 after saying he was en route to Syria, and since then kept a relatively low profile.

Though Cerantonio has been quiet, his commitment to the caliphate and recruiting doesn’t seem to have softened.
The alleged ringleader of the scheme spanning land, sea and air travel to get to Syria, busted by the Australian Federal Police on Tuesday, had brought a bunch of alleged IS enthusiasts along for the ride.
Kadir Kaya, Shayden Thorne, Paul Dacre and another Melbourne man joined Cerantonio to cross the Arafura Sea to Indonesia.
Each of the men, all under 30, were under the watch of national authorities and had had their passports cancelled.
Kaya publicly voiced his desire to leave Australia after his Turkish passport was cancelled and Australia passport refused, in an interview with Melbourne’s 3AW radio station in October last year.
The 21-year-old told host Neil Mitchell he “hates Australia” and wanted to get out, but claimed his intention was to join Turkish forces to fight against IS.
Kaya said he felt like he was being held in “an open-air prison” not being allowed to leave the country.
J
Another of the crew, Perth man Shayden Thorne, was deported to Australia in 2014 after being jailed in Saudi Arabia in 2011 over possessing terror related materials.
He is the older brother to well-known firebrand preacher Junaid Thorne.
Little is known about the other two men, other than they are from Melbourne and have previously had their passports cancelled.
The crew was arrested after being stopped by authorities north of Cairns, after towing a seven metre boat from Melbourne with the intention of launching into seas towards Indonesia.
The five men are now facing possible charges under Australia’s counter-terrorism laws.
The boat which the five alleged terrorists were planning to take from far north Queensland to Indonesia to join the fight on terrorism. Picture: Anna Rogers
The boat which the five alleged terrorists were planning to take from far north Queensland to Indonesia to join the fight on terrorism. Picture: Anna RogersSource:News Corp Australia
On Wednesday, Victoria Police deputy commissioner Shane Patton explained the decision to stop the group leaving Australia, warning of the risk if they returned combat hardened and radicalised.
“I know there’d be people sitting at home saying ‘why don’t you simply just let them go and take their chance in the waves and fighting in Syria’,” he said in Melbourne.
“We have a requirement to ensure that people can’t get offshore to go and fight in other countries, can’t get offshore to become hardened terrorists and come back here and pose a risk.”

-----------------------------------------------

My preferred course would have been to let them launch ... then sink them, ensuring no survivors.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

No one seems to have any solid ideas, a large bombing has been tentatively ruled out as it made two sharp swerves before disappearing off radar, and there was supposedly an air marshall type on board as well, speculation is leaning towards something that fucked up the planes ability to fly correctly or an on board struggle.
Technical failure is still an option at this time

#45 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

Both the UK and the USA have issues a terrorist warning for my own try South Africa for the month of Ramadan. A few people seem quite freaked out by the possibility

I'm not particularly worried. Possibly because even if it happens the odds of it happening to me seem quite remote.

That said when my minister of security says we have nothing to fear I don't believe him. For years we have had reports of terrorists recruiting raising funds and training in SA. We are also a good source for documents for terrorists. So when he says no terrorists organizations are in SA he is lying

#46 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

There is a terrorist threat everywhere, we have a global economy with increased social movement.

No point worrying overmuch about it, though. The simple fact is that you are still far far more likely to die from a car accident or a simple fall from some steps than from a terrorist attack. These terrorist acts thrive on fear, not on number of casualties.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#47 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

This is already being talked about in other threads, but it's clear now that the attack on an Orlando gay club was an Islamist terrorist attack:

https://www.washingt...m=.a7bc18f8a252

Deadliest mass shooting in US history. Second-deadliest terrorist attack next to 9/11.

Incidentally, this happened in Orlando not long after singer Christina Grimmie was shot and killed there.

http://www.nytimes.c...at-concert.html

Obviously the incidents are unrelated, beyond happening in the same city within 24 hours of each other.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#48 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:45 PM

I thought it was being attributed as a hate crime.
Haven't seen/heard enough on this to be discussing it from any solid perspective, but has it been explicitly claimed as an islamic terror act, or was it a lone madman?
To paint it as islamic terror just based on the guys background (not saying you are) feeds the islamaphobes imo. He could easily have been a islamic man who hated gay people and was a bit nuts

#49 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 June 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

I thought it was being attributed as a hate crime.
Haven't seen/heard enough on this to be discussing it from any solid perspective, but has it been explicitly claimed as an islamic terror act, or was it a lone madman?

None of these things are mutually exclusive. He pledged allegiance to ISIS before the attack.

To paint it as islamic terror just based on the guys background (not saying you are) feeds the islamaphobes imo.

There is a difference between Islamist and Islamic.

He could easily have been a islamic man who hated gay people and was a bit nuts

That describes literally everyone in ISIS. Their philosophy encourages attacks like these, and he clearly bought into it.

There it is.

#50 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

Was just wondering what all had been confirmed.and what was media speculation, again it could easily have been someone who was just completely mental and happened to have been a muslim as well.
I've seen somewhere now he declared his support of ISIS.

#51 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

It was in the first paragraph of the source article I provided. :)

There it is.

#52 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

On phone.
Didn't read

#53 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:52 PM

Another potential terrorist attack (this one in So Cal) was thankfully foiled. It was gonna be aimed at the LA Pride Festival, and suspect is a James Howell from Indiana. Gun arsenal and chemicals for potential explosives found in his car.
http://www.latimes.c...snap-story.html
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#54 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

View PostCoonass, on 29 June 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Airport in Turkey got attacked. Isis hasn't officially claimed it yet.

It's a very bizarre phenomenon where the ISIL organization has very little to do with the actual planning and execution of the attacks, but are still cited by people as their inspiration, their target of loyalty, and so on. ISIL/ISIS is somehow catchier in terms of being a good excuse for murdering people than previous iterations of loosely connected terrorist networks.

I'm still sad about the Orlando attacks and so, so many others, so this piles onto those in a metaphorical sense and I'm wondering what can be done to dissociate the casual murder of innocents from perceived statements of political resistance/violence.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#55 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:22 AM

What Rukmini Callimachi (world renowned expert on Islamic terrorism) is saying now is very interesting.

Look at her Twitter or video interviews on multiple channels and you'll find her saying that Turkey is the transit hub for Islamic terrorists of all stripes and in particular, ISIS. The border on the east is so porous that they just hop a low wall and disappear. Because of this, the recruits will fly to Turkey, spend a few days at a resort, then go disappear. And they will come back the same way to pick up money wired to them there or to call home.

So now that laxness turns into terror attacks in Istanbul itself. The reactions from Erdogan and his crowd are going to be interesting - particularly how they relate to the Kurds and Sauds.

#56 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:25 AM

Her NY Times article covers the bare bones of this: http://mobile.nytime...-its-wrath.html

An important thing she mentions in Twitter - ISIS has not officially claimed this attack, possibly because they want grey area to continue to operate in Turkey or because this was not a planned event by them.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 30 June 2016 - 02:27 AM

#57 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:09 AM

View PostCoonass, on 30 June 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

Yeah that's been known for awhile they fly in to Turkey from globe and then disappear.

Callimachi makes the point that the official remarks from ISIS have taken more and more shots at Turkey's government and politics in recent months, which is a sign of future attacks - yet this attack still isn't claimed. There's a grey area occurring and it's possibly because the terrorist groups involved want a cowed Turkey, not an officially at war Turkey.

#58 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

Surely ISIS won't want to officially claim this as it's heir transit hub.
Turkey tightening up in a war on terror is the last thing they would want

#59 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:06 PM

A big truck has ploughed into a mass of people who were celebrating the French revolution day in Nice.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#60 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

ISIS claimed responsibility, no confirmation from French authority's yet though.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users