Malazan Empire: How many cameos did we see in Dancer's Lament? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many cameos did we see in Dancer's Lament? Spoilers for all of Erikson and Esslemont's books.

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

I haven't done a reread of the series in forever so there's probably a ton of characters that I don't remember. There's probably also character that I didn't recognize.

The ones I noticed:

Iko was of course Shimmer from the Crimson Guard.

The city mages Smokey and Mara joined the Crimson Guard later, right?

You have Baudin who is probably either the father or the grandfather of Baudin from
Deadhouse Gates.

Was Rheena actually Surly? It doesn't seem like the right time or place but I could see her return.

Who was Ullara? I feel like we've heard that name before but I don't remember any blind bird mages.

The girl with Dassem, who was that? It can't be his daughter, right?

The Nacht was Moby?

#2 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

I assume that was Baudin senior who was part of original talons. Hard to fit Rheena with Surly as she would also had to have been one of the original Talons and that did not seem her obvious leaning. I wondered if the girl with Dassem would either become the mother of his daughter, or be his adoptive daughter. Dassem/Traveller seems to already be quite monastic in his approach to life, you could see him sweeping the monastery grounds - so he might have adopted a celibate approach.

I too wondered about Ullara as she was the one who named him Dancer. She may be a type for the women who get through to Cotillion - I was thinking of Minala and then Sorry/Apsalar when it suggests she could be the daughter he never had. We are probably set up for Ullara to be an influence in his evolution to the Rope - she probably meets a tragic end when they return to Li Heng.

#3 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

There were also a lot of members of the Crimson Guard. Petal, Red, K'azz, Fingers, Cal-Brinn.
A'Karonys got mentioned. We now know what he did before he joined the Malazan Empire

I don't think that Rheena is Surly. According to Nok she was a member of the royal family of Nap. So it should be impossible that she was in Heng at that time, as a thief. She came to Malaz as a refugee after her homeland got conquered by Unta

I also can't remember Ullara from any of the other books.

I don't think that the girl is Dassems (adopted) daughter. In Deadhouse Gates Fiedler and gang find her corpse in the Azath house and she was described as young. I would guess that Dancers Laments happens 100 years or so before the prolog of Gardens of the Moon. So if this girl is his daughter, she would have been over 100 years old when she died. Sure, with High Denul and the effect of the deadhouse she would have looked younger, as the rest of the old guard, but none of them was described as young looking. So maybe her mother I guess.

Moby was a soletaken demon who took the form of a bhoka'rala. So I don't think that this was Moby.

#4 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Surly has not appeared yet. Rheena is not Napan. And from Nok's storyline, we know that Surly is among the second wave to join 'the family' once they are taking over Malaz.

But I think a lot of those kids could end up Talons.

One not quite cameo is that they mention Malle of Gris (seen in Assail, and eventual Claw trainer), as a second heir to Gris who had spoken against the heir going with the CG to hunt Ryllandaras,

Went through the Dramatis Personnae of FoD to see if we have seen the Protectress yet, but I doubt it.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 03 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#5 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

View PostNevyn, on 03 March 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Surly has not appeared yet. Rheena is not Napan. And from Nok's storyline, we know that Surly is among the second wave to join 'the family' once they are taking over Malaz.

One not quite cameo is that they mention Malle of Gris (seen in Assail, and eventual Claw trainer), as a second heir to Gris who had spoken against the heir going with the CG to hunt Ryllandaras,

Went through the Dramatis Personnae of FoD to see if we have seen the Protectress yet, but I doubt it.

I was wondering if she was the first Liosan priestess from FOD. Apparently not?

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 03 March 2016 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 03 March 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

I was wondering if she was the first Liosan priestess from FOD. Apparently not?

I suppose it is possible, but the names are not similar, and I believe that the protectress talks about having served with Urusander's Legion under the 'sisters'. Whereas the priestess of light we have seen so far was a priestess of Mother Dark originally, and also would be an upset to be someone who gets weary of war and walks away.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostColtaine93, on 03 March 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

I don't think that the girl is Dassems (adopted) daughter. In Deadhouse Gates Fiedler and gang find her corpse in the Azath house and she was described as young. I would guess that Dancers Laments happens 100 years or so before the prolog of Gardens of the Moon. So if this girl is his daughter, she would have been over 100 years old when she died. Sure, with High Denul and the effect of the deadhouse she would have looked younger, as the rest of the old guard, but none of them was described as young looking. So maybe her mother I guess.

Moby was a soletaken demon who took the form of a bhoka'rala. So I don't think that this was Moby.

When reading it I admit I was thinking of the girl as Dassem's daughter, but you could be right about timeline headaches. But GotM inconsistencies have hit before, and the story is not 100% clear on exactly when Hood takes Dassem's daughter relative to the fall at Y'gathan. So I would rank it as still possible if unlikely.

bhoka'rala and nacht are very similar, so it could be Moby. I love that Wu named him 'demon' regardless. Gothos strongly implied that there was more to the Nacht than met the eye when Dorin threatened to kill it.

#8 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

I assumed the demon was the demon bartender who now runs smileys rather than Moby, but I guess neither really works.

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

On that floating island with Andarist. Wasn't there a very old member of the talons. A woman who died there.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 March 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

On that floating island with Andarist. Wasn't there a very old member of the talons. A woman who died there.

It was Admiral Nok's wife I think. I can't remember her name but she was a part of the "family" as far as I remember.

#11 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:33 PM

Just remembered that Oleg was mentioned once by name and once without. He's the guy from NOK who's mad that Kellanved stole his work.

#12 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

Was she also described as Napan?

Huh, this book brought me back to this part of the forum for the first time in ages. This is great!

Also, it must be such a thrill for ICE to see the response to this book. Next time him and Steve have a tea session he should get to sit on the throne for once.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 04 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#13 User is offline   Khestrassa 

• Recruit

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:44 PM

Silk, and Lyss from RotCG, and Ho not yet actually in three but close enough.

Nightchill (Sister of the Cold Nights) of course not yet a mage of the Empire.

#14 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 March 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Was she also described as Napan?

Huh, this book brought me back to this part of the forum for the first time in ages. This is great!

Also, it must be such a thrill for ICE to see the response to this book. Next time him and Steve have a tea session he should get to sit on the throne for once.

You are talking about Hawl, her description didn't suggest she was Napan.

#15 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

I just had a look into RotCC. The name of the Fist of Li Heng was Rheena. She got killed by agents of the Talian League and replaced by Storo.

#16 User is offline   Giantblaze 

• Corporal

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

While not really a cameo but K'rul appeared. It looks like Erikson finally won that argument, with K'rul being a man again.

#17 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:21 AM

View PostGiantblaze, on 13 March 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

While not really a cameo but K'rul appeared. It looks like Erikson finally won that argument, with K'rul being a man again.

Or remarkably indecisive

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:43 AM

Adding to the above...
Cal-Brinn, one of the Crimson Guard stuck on Assail in ASSAIL.
There was a ref to a Petal and I think a few other Guard we've seen in other books, aside from Mara, Smokey and Shimmer.
Malle of Gris, here by reference, showed up in ASSAIL.
The Errant, by reference only.
I'm pretty sure Demon was the nacht/monkey cleaning the floor of the Shadowkeep in RCG.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 March 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

And he's STILL a goddamned dickhole. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 March 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 14 March 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

And he's STILL a goddamned dickhole. LOL

Hard to go against your aspect.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT