Malazan Empire: How many cameos did we see in Dancer's Lament? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many cameos did we see in Dancer's Lament? Spoilers for all of Erikson and Esslemont's books.

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2016 - 04:36 AM, said:

Aren't the Imass inactive at this point, until Kellanved uses then to conquer 7C, and then they bug off to their various Jihads and by the time Laseen is in charge only a token clan is still bothering to help the Empire?

His eventual actions at the First Throne awaken the Logros, but I dont know if we can say the same is true of the other tribes. I could be remembering that wrong though. It's been a while.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

View PostBionicBarry, on 23 March 2016 - 03:03 AM, said:

True,Gothos doesn't directly acknowledge the theft of the arrowhead. I think that Edgewalker supplied the arrowhead.The battered helm addressing Gothos strikes me as a sure match for Edgewalker. He is described as being unhelmed right?Perhaps it was his before or after the sundering? He seems to be seeking, not exactly a patron, but a partner to rescue the sundered parts of Emurlahn (failed attempts are pointed out by Gothos). This continues with the theme of Mael and Tehol, K'rul and Kruppe, as the elder forces finding the paramount mortal minds as partners rather than adherents to accomplish something beyond their waning abilities.

Wow, no.

If you follow any of Edgewalker's action and attitude through NoK and the MBotF, I think we can say that is massively unlikely.

And the implication from Nightchill's passages seems to be it is the Azath houses themselves (and in the prologue the helmet says 'our", not "my"), not an individual, that are setting the course.

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#43 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

The talking armor was also seen in Deadhouse Gates.

This post has been edited by Apt: 23 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

#44 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

Wu's Demon might also be the sunken demon in Malaz Harbor.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#45 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

View PostZoolanderis Derake, on 24 March 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

Wu's Demon might also be the sunken demon in Malaz Harbor.

Its all one demon

#46 User is offline   Giantblaze 

• Corporal

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Hahahaha I love Wu, how he said it's name was Demon.

#47 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Aren't the Imass inactive at this point, until Kellanved uses then to conquer 7C, and then they bug off to their various Jihads and by the time Laseen is in charge only a token clan is still bothering to help the Empire?

His eventual actions at the First Throne awaken the Logros, but I dont know if we can say the same is true of the other tribes. I could be remembering that wrong though. It's been a while.

I'm with Abyss. It's said the t'lan army that conquered Li Heng had simply been waiting there all along. (I.e., the Imass aren't doing anything right now. Slumbering.)

Plus, I thought it was fairly obvious that the old arrowhead is a clue to the location of the First Throne.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#48 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

Yup, total agreement. Knapped stone weapon = Imass, pretty much (thoughhhhhhhh there's a long shot it could be Edur). I suppose the implication of Li Heng is that TI groups go dormant in between pogroms, until something sets their Jaghut Detectors off. I am definitely curious how that works, outside someone finding the First Throne. It's certainly not a worldwide detection of any Omtose Phellack use. Do the vast majority of TI stay dormant while a few agents scour the globe seeking Jaghut? Has Olar Ethil been doing it for them? BTW this doesn't look so pretty for Juage in the long run, which adds some of that much needed blood on the hands of the early empire.

#49 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:19 AM

View PostZoolanderis Derake, on 27 March 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

Yup, total agreement. Knapped stone weapon = Imass, pretty much (thoughhhhhhhh there's a long shot it could be Edur). I suppose the implication of Li Heng is that TI groups go dormant in between pogroms, until something sets their Jaghut Detectors off. I am definitely curious how that works, outside someone finding the First Throne. It's certainly not a worldwide detection of any Omtose Phellack use. Do the vast majority of TI stay dormant while a few agents scour the globe seeking Jaghut? Has Olar Ethil been doing it for them? BTW this doesn't look so pretty for Juage in the long run, which adds some of that much needed blood on the hands of the early empire.

Our thoughts mirror. Is it possible the box object is actually more clue to Emurlahn, say a clue to Drift Avali and the Shadow Throne? Yep. But, something about its description just screamed Imass to me.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#50 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

Forgot: Greymane gets a random mention.

#51 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

Oh yah. I guess that suggests he's either Old Guard or officially an Ascendant?

#52 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:47 PM

With him I have no idea. We know ICE likes his character so we might find out.

#53 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:39 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 01 April 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

good one, I had utterly forgotten that.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#54 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

The various clans where still split up on their diaspora at this point, l believe that the Logros, Tool's clan, where asleep on Quon guarding the first throne, one clan was lost in the warren of chaos on Jacuruku, one was on Assail i think and l don't know about the rest.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#55 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

Yea was that weird or am I just off in my timing. How was he a legend that far back?

#56 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

View Posttheocean, on 12 April 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

Yea was that weird or am I just off in my timing. How was he a legend that far back?

Like a lot of these other people ... there is seemingly always more to the story. I mean, we knew he had a long history with the empire regardless, and could take on some pretty badass characters. So not much of a stretch that he would come to the empire with a pre-earned reputation from elsewhere.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#57 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

View PostNevyn, on 12 April 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

View Posttheocean, on 12 April 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

Like a lot of these other people ... there is seemingly always more to the story. I mean, we knew he had a long history with the empire regardless, and could take on some pretty badass characters. So not much of a stretch that he would come to the empire with a pre-earned reputation from elsewhere.

It just doesnt seem like he should be old enough at this point to be a folk legend. I expected him like the others to make their status as the malazan empire grew. This means he was a badass before Daseem was the Mortal sword of Hood, before Dancer earned his name and started the talons, before the Imass were re awakened. I just was surprised that before all of them became legends together greymane was already one.

#58 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

Well, Greymane does have quite a reputation:

http://forum.malazan...gnature-series/

#59 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

I love the quick Ben has twelve souls fact. I know dude is a hero. Just didn't expect his name to go so far back.

#60 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

I am doing a reread of RotCG and noticed this, which happens in Cawn as the old guard is landing

Nevall stroked his beard. 'Oh, yes. Flags? Any flags? Did you think to look for those?'

An uncertain frown. 'Well, they're still pretty distant. But there's an old woman here who claims to be a witch. Says she can see through the eyes of birds. Says she'll look for a half-silver.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users