Malazan Empire: How many cameos did we see in Dancer's Lament? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many cameos did we see in Dancer's Lament? Spoilers for all of Erikson and Esslemont's books.

#61 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

Could Shalamanat be Serap, as Shalamanat claims she was on the staff of an officer (Hunn Raal?) of Ossercal.

Edit: Probably not because Serap was Kallors love and seem to have died in a separate setting.

This post has been edited by nacht: 13 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

#62 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

nacht, on 13 April 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

I am doing a reread of RotCG and noticed this, which happens in Cawn as the old guard is landing

Nevall stroked his beard. 'Oh, yes. Flags? Any flags? Did you think to look for those?'

An uncertain frown. 'Well, they're still pretty distant. But there's an old woman here who claims to be a witch. Says she can see through the eyes of birds. Says she'll look for a half-silver.

Nice catch!!!

So basically LAMENT just doubled ICE's reread payback.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#63 User is offline   Kalam&Quick 

• Recruit

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:43 PM

Abyss, on 14 March 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

Adding to the above...
Cal-Brinn, one of the Crimson Guard stuck on Assail in ASSAIL.
There was a ref to a Petal and I think a few other Guard we've seen in other books, aside from Mara, Smokey and Shimmer.
Malle of Gris, here by reference, showed up in ASSAIL.
The Errant, by reference only.
I'm pretty sure Demon was the nacht/monkey cleaning the floor of the Shadowkeep in RCG.

didnt he show up for a bit with sister of cold nights? when she was sitting at the fire, iirc that was errant, and then krul showed up, as a man, again. lol.
“Hello, Capustan. The Bridgeburners have arrived.”

#64 User is offline   Kalam&Quick 

• Recruit

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

lobo the wolfman, on 18 March 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

T, on 16 March 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

Oberl of Purge = Skinner? He seems to be arrogant enough. I don't remember though from other books if Skinner is described as tall, lean and dark haired.

I seem to recall Skinner being described as tall, broad and blond, so l guess it's a close match..

Was just thinking that Ullara, the bird girl, could be bottles grandmother. I don't recall her name ever being mentioned, and the way she can see and talk to her birds is similar to the way Bottle can control animals, and the timeline could match up.

or, dare i say.....beaks? :D haha

#65 User is offline   Kalam&Quick 

• Recruit

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

Kanyemander West, on 27 March 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

Yup, total agreement. Knapped stone weapon = Imass, pretty much (thoughhhhhhhh there's a long shot it could be Edur). I suppose the implication of Li Heng is that TI groups go dormant in between pogroms, until something sets their Jaghut Detectors off. I am definitely curious how that works, outside someone finding the First Throne. It's certainly not a worldwide detection of any Omtose Phellack use. Do the vast majority of TI stay dormant while a few agents scour the globe seeking Jaghut? Has Olar Ethil been doing it for them? BTW this doesn't look so pretty for Juage in the long run, which adds some of that much needed blood on the hands of the early empire.

dude thats actually not a longshot at all!! think about it.
Wu is trying to take shadow, Shadow was the Edurs realm that was broken. and we know he does eventually get it. this whole book he's obsessed with shadow and never mentions the imass.
An arrow head that could easily go with the edur? on his grand quest to conquer the edurs old realm?
coincidence? i don't know.

either way it could go both ways, and i think he did that on purpose. a key to shadow? or a key to the t'lan? who knows.

#66 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

Ryllandaras was there-does anyone remember if his divers pals were named? What i mean is, Ryllandaras was kind of like Ho.....

#67 User is offline   Zuzu Bolin 

• Corporal

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Oberl of Purge = Skinner? He seems to be arrogant enough. I don't remember though from other books if Skinner is described as tall, lean and dark haired.

I think this is bang on the money. Dassem played only a very minor roll in the book and yet it's the only thing this Oberl was bought into the Novel for.

I loved the book, can't wait for the next one.

One question, Nightchill. So, she's the sister of cold nights right, was in the prologue of MOI with K'rul and Draconus and yet as Nighchill was just a

High Sorceress for the Empire. But she was an elder Goddess? Not sure I get this. Was she put in place at that post so to speak by K'rul because of the

Silverfox birth/Tattersail?

#68 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

Skinner is blond. Like Nordic blond.

Nightchill was fascinated by mortals and was known to invest herself in their societies. Malazans were the latest of many, apparently.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#69 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

Skinner had reddish-blond hair. So he is not Oberl.

Zuzu Bolin, on 24 July 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

I think this is bang on the money. Dassem played only a very minor roll in the book and yet it's the only thing this Oberl was bought into the Novel for.

One question, Nightchill. So, she's the sister of cold nights right, was in the prologue of MOI with K'rul and Draconus and yet as Nighchill was just a

High Sorceress for the Empire. But she was an elder Goddess? Not sure I get this. Was she put in place at that post so to speak by K'rul because of the

No, it was just her way to spend the eternity. She had no followers left and was less powerful than once. So she lived as a sorceress and meddled in human conflicts. Sometimes she chose a side and sometimes she just obeserved. I don't think she became a Highmage in the Malazan Army to get killed in the Battle of Pale.

#70 User is offline   Mentho 

• Recruit

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

On the topic of the stone arrowhead:

While I really like the theories of it being a link to the Tiste Edur as a hint to shadow, I think it's more likely a part of Kellanveds path to the first throne and the T'lan Imass. Although a lot of focus regarding the TI is on 7C and Logros involvement there, the first use of the TI by Kell was the capitulation of Li Heng. There is a passage focused on Throatslitter in RG (I think...at work so I can't check the books) where he recalls his father talking about the TI on the walls of Heng, and it being the first time they were used. Going off of that, and the fact that DL takes place in Heng, makes me suspect we might see the discovery of the First Throne sometime soon.

#71 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

Mentho, on 29 July 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

On the topic of the stone arrowhead:

While I really like the theories of it being a link to the Tiste Edur as a hint to shadow, I think it's more likely a part of Kellanveds path to the first throne and the T'lan Imass. Although a lot of focus regarding the TI is on 7C and Logros involvement there, the first use of the TI by Kell was the capitulation of Li Heng. There is a passage focused on Throatslitter in RG (I think...at work so I can't check the books) where he recalls his father talking about the TI on the walls of Heng, and it being the first time they were used. Going off of that, and the fact that DL takes place in Heng, makes me suspect we might see the discovery of the First Throne sometime soon.

That's right. Good Point. :D

#72 User is offline   Planck 

• Recruit

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

I don't know if it counts as a cameo, but in Stonewielder Kiska and Leoman encounter a dead K'chain Nahruk that is surprisingly animate...

#73 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:37 PM

I think you should re-read the MOI prologue. It makes the Sister/Nightchill thing pretty clear.

She was pretending to be a sorceress among mortals even in Kallor's day, playing the 'mortal game'. She keeps doing it through the ages, and her agenda is her own.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#74 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Deciphering truth and escaping into fantasy

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Nevyn, on 23 August 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

I think you should re-read the MOI prologue. It makes the Sister/Nightchill thing pretty clear.

She was pretending to be a sorceress among mortals even in Kallor's day, playing the 'mortal game'. She keeps doing it through the ages, and her agenda is her own.

I thought it was pretty clear she had a strange motive, and it really sounded like she was kind of hoping to die the two times she talked to K'rul. I thought there was also another quote that I cannot find where she said something like wanting to get it over with.
Errant: 'you are vulnerable. A nudge here or there and you could find yourself dead.'
"K'rul raised a finger. 'Have a care. I foresee that this involvement could cost everything.'
'That is as it should be, else it would not be worthwhile.'

" 'Very well, I shall see it through.'
'Only then may you see where it might take you.'
She nodded. 'So you say. I am trusting you in this, brother.'

[also, reading the chapter with the first quote I found 2 other cameos...]

Mael: " 'However, another is in place to keep an eye on the Errant' "
Rake/Dragnipur ..."these vibrations were not the cogs of fate's machinations but the wheels of a gigantic wagon accompanied by the rattling of chains."

#75 User is offline   Romasterer 

• Recruit

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

nacht, on 13 April 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

I am doing a reread of RotCG and noticed this, which happens in Cawn as the old guard is landing

Nevall stroked his beard. 'Oh, yes. Flags? Any flags? Did you think to look for those?'

An uncertain frown. 'Well, they're still pretty distant. But there's an old woman here who claims to be a witch. Says she can see through the eyes of birds. Says she'll look for a half-silver.

Damn nice find. Well that throws a wrench in my thought of her being Bottle's grandmother "His grandmother would know what to do about this situation, but she was long dead and her spirit was anchored to the old farm outside Jakata, a thousand leagues from here."

This post has been edited by Romasterer: 18 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

#76 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

Abyss, on 18 March 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

lobo the wolfman, on 18 March 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

Was just thinking that Ullara, the bird girl, could be bottles grandmother. I don't recall her name ever being mentioned, and the way she can see and talk to her birds is similar to the way Bottle can control animals, and the timeline could match up.

I love this theory. +rep.

Sorry to burst it, but when Beak reads the mages in RG, he describes Bottle as a "Jakatan Warlock of the really old ways", so I don't think that can work out. Ullara would have to move to Malaz Island and lose her Henman heritage for that to add up
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#77 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

If anyone has finished Deadhouse Landing, feel free to make one of these threads for the second book.

I'm having trouble finding the energy to sit down and read the sequel.

#78 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Is your iron low?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#79 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

ICE himself has debunked the Ullara theory in this interview. Would've been cool, though.

http://www.thecrippl...-esslemont.html

TCB: Ullara is my favourite new character in DL. Her gift in magic is similar to Bottle own. Is there any connection between them? Maybe a certain grandmother never fully explained…
ICE: You are right that there is a similarity in the magic between Bottle and Ullara. However, rather than shared relations, it is shared heritage. The magic these two (and many others) draw upon is the older, less organized, (pagan, if you will), magic of the beast holds and the older spirit/animism of earlier, prehistoric times. Some elements of it has persisted into this more sophisticated age where magic has been organized and standardized into the 'Warrens', and where Bottle's and Ullara's talents are looked down upon as rustic, uneducated, and rural.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users