• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

THE 100 The CW / Netflix show

#41 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:41 PM

I have very mixed feelings about this article. I generally believe that most things should be left to authorial control (trusting that they have an overarching plan that will reveal itself, and if it sucks, it sucks — move on to a new piece of media) and that authors don't owe their fans anything, yet I also have the dissonant view that, sometimes, authors do owe their fans everything (but I feel like authors giving their fans only what they clamor for can lead to stale shit). I have trouble reconciling the two.

http://variety.com/2...erg-1201729110/

What do people here think?

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

I take a page out pf the Walking Dead playbook.

Creators don't owe their fans SHIT. Full stop.

This is why Rob Kirkman has stated that rabid fan devotion to Daryl Dixon ("If Daryl dies we riot") is what might actually seal his fate in the end, because when it comes to TWD as media, Kirkman IS ostensibly god.

I feel the same is true on THE 100 (or any show for that matter).

Spoiler

My two cents.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

When it comes to, what do writers/creators owe their fans, something else to consider is: which fans? The 100 is based on books; are we talking about fans of the books? I haven't read them but I'm sure some have; are they disappointed in the turns the show has taken by comparison? Or are we talking about lovers of the show, only? Or a sub-sect of those fans that are particularly interested in the sexual orientation of certain characters? I'm guessing any show with a sizeable audience is going to have several different groups of people with several different reasons for their fandom.

I'll compare this a bit with The Elfstones of Shannara that recently concluded, also a CW show. I'm a lover of the book and was bitterly disappointed with the amount of changes and additions in the tv version. I understand SOME of the reasoning. Do I think Terry Brooks owed it to me to ensure that his original material was better used or implemented? No. I sure wish he had, though. If he was happy with what they put out there, I have a hard time not seeing him as selling out his own work to get on tv and go mainstream. I don't know the numbers, but maybe the show brought him legions of new fans. Not sure they'll be the kind that will go read his other books, though.

Also, I agree completely with QT on
Spoiler

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 21 March 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

When it comes to, what do writers/creators owe their fans, something else to consider is: which fans? The 100 is based on books; are we talking about fans of the books? I haven't read them but I'm sure some have; are they disappointed in the turns the show has taken by comparison? Or are we talking about lovers of the show, only? Or a sub-sect of those fans that are particularly interested in the sexual orientation of certain characters? I'm guessing any show with a sizeable audience is going to have several different groups of people with several different reasons for their fandom.

I'll compare this a bit with The Elfstones of Shannara that recently concluded, also a CW show. I'm a lover of the book and was bitterly disappointed with the amount of changes and additions in the tv version. I understand SOME of the reasoning. Do I think Terry Brooks owed it to me to ensure that his original material was better used or implemented? No. I sure wish he had, though. If he was happy with what they put out there, I have a hard time not seeing him as selling out his own work to get on tv and go mainstream. I don't know the numbers, but maybe the show brought him legions of new fans. Not sure they'll be the kind that will go read his other books, though.

Spoiler

Actually, Shannara is MTV, not CW. But the point stands, the CW would have made a similar show to MTV...that said, the CW MIGHT have put more effort into the writing and arcing of the narrative than MTV seemed to (its what they do with most of their scripted dramas, like FLASH and ARROW).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#45 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 March 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 21 March 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Spoiler

Actually, Shannara is MTV, not CW. But the point stands, the CW would have made a similar show to MTV...that said, the CW MIGHT have put more effort into the writing and arcing of the narrative than MTV seemed to (its what they do with most of their scripted dramas, like FLASH and ARROW).

You are absolutely correct, it was MTV. How the hell did I forget that? An already bad memory coupled with a subconscious wanting to forget a mostly bad memory, probably...

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 21 March 2016 - 10:30 PM

#46 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 March 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

I take a page out pf the Walking Dead playbook.

Creators don't owe their fans SHIT. Full stop.

This is why Rob Kirkman has stated that rabid fan devotion to Daryl Dixon ("If Daryl dies we riot") is what might actually seal his fate in the end, because when it comes to TWD as media, Kirkman IS ostensibly god.

I feel the same is true on THE 100 (or any show for that matter).

Spoiler

My two cents.

WHOOPS. I didn't mean to neg rep you and I don't think I can undo it. So I will be pos repping your next 10 posts! Stupid touchscreen -.-

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 21 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

#47 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:24 AM

Ok, its entirely possible that I missed what may have seemed like casual references in passing, but
Spoiler

I once couldn't stand Murphy, then I tolerated him, then felt mild sympathy around the time of the City of Light start up. I just realized this episode that I'm really starting to love him and his deadpan sarcasm. And he can take a beating like almost no one else. I really hope he gets something with a purpose to do with himself at some point.

Speaking of the City of Light, BK, you'll be thrilled to know that the next Ep looks like it'll be heavy on that theme...

#48 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

Spoiler

#49 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:12 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 April 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Ugh I waited to this week to have an xtra Ep cause I had a feeling this CoL would piss me off and so far it has...badly. This pain shit is giving me pain watching this cheesefest.

Ed just finished that Ep... IT WAS SO BAD!!! Only good thing was Murphy getting a piece of ass. I can't even bring myself to turn on this weeks Ep just yet. Oh that was crap crap CRAP!

BK, I hate to tell you but I thought this week's Ep, (#11 Nevermore) was a good bit worse. Even more CoL related plus too many characters doing Walking-Dead-style STUPID things! I'm officially concerned about this show maintaining its quality...

I'll wait till the rest see it to delve further.

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 16 April 2016 - 02:24 AM

#50 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

More and more the city of.ight arc is becoming a mistake. Actually the pike arc is also annoying f

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

Well it looks like they finally answered a bunch of our prayers one ep.

Pike is either dead, or will be dead from the Grounders who now have him, ALIE gained and lost Raven, Bellamy has realized his mistake and seems to be coming to terms with why he made it and why it was wrong (as Kane asked him to do), Clarke finally breaks a bit under the pressure and thank gods it's in front of Jasper whose one veneer of anger and vengefulness about Maya is also beginning to crack. BAsically they shifted the wole plot forward.

Even the CoL now is just Jaha and Abbie (and the other inhabitantds of Arkadia) and we have a clear path to fighting them with a core group of the 100 united and on a mission to stop ALIE.

All in all a damned good episode. I feel it took too long to get to this point though, if I'm honest.

#52 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 April 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

Well it looks like they finally answered a bunch of our prayers one ep.

Pike is either dead, or will be dead from the Grounders who now have him, ALIE gained and lost Raven, Bellamy has realized his mistake and seems to be coming to terms with why he made it and why it was wrong (as Kane asked him to do), Clarke finally breaks a bit under the pressure and thank gods it's in front of Jasper whose one veneer of anger and vengefulness about Maya is also beginning to crack. BAsically they shifted the wole plot forward.

Even the CoL now is just Jaha and Abbie (and the other inhabitantds of Arkadia) and we have a clear path to fighting them with a core group of the 100 united and on a mission to stop ALIE.

All in all a damned good episode. I feel it took too long to get to this point though, if I'm honest.

Yes if it had all happened quicker and sooner perhaps it would not have been so bad.

Spoiler

#53 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

With regards to how fast it happened with Abbie. I think that's ow it happens. It took Raven a while to start fighting it off. I think it's immediate bliss/col/forgetting and only being tweaked from outside like Jasper did with Raven will help fight it.

#54 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

I'm pretty far behind, but I've been catching up. I'm on S03E11 and all I have to say is this — put a bag over her fucking head! How hard is it!?
Spoiler

#55 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

Wow, S03E13 was pretty damn incredible! Great character building all around, and probably one of the best episodes of the show so far. Though, the Jesus imagery with Kane was a little over the top.

#56 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:44 AM

View PostBriar King, on 12 May 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 May 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

Wow, S03E13 was pretty damn incredible! Great character building all around, and probably one of the best episodes of the show so far. Though, the Jesus imagery with Kane was a little over the top.

My burning hate of CoL is prob clouding my enjoyment but to me that Ep doesn't even come close to one of the best Ep so far though Ark flashbacks were superb. The best remains a few epis in S3 where we had like 2 or 3 back to back CoL free Ep in Polis dealing with Grounder tribe politics. That was hands down the height of show for me.

Those were good too. The City of Light hasn't really been shown much, so I haven't really formulated an opinion about it yet.

#57 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 May 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

Did you want to beat Raven over the head with a sharp object this Ep like I did? I hate her character since she was wounded back in late S1 early 2? But that hate increased 100 fold this season esp after that Ep!

I haven't gotten up to it yet, but I'll comment when I do :D

#58 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

Raven - Making Stupid Ass Decisions that affect everyone else...since Season 1.

And Bellamy joined her in those stupid ass decisions for a half a season this time too.

I'm scared about how little Octavia has been used in the second half of the season....this is what Jason Rothenberg (show-runner, kind of a dickhole apparently) did to Ricky Whittle, reducing his part little by little giving him nothing to do till he quit.

If Octavia goes away, I'll be PISSED.

#59 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, it sounds like Rothenberg gets petulant when actors on his show get gigs elsewhere.

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 May 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

Yeah, it sounds like Rothenberg gets petulant when actors on his show get gigs elsewhere.

I find it hard to love the show unconditionally when it's creator sounds like he's such a jerk. I think THE 100 is pretty great (though this season has not been nearly as good as S1&2), but whereas like on FLASH where I can praise Greg Berlanti to the rafters for being an incredible human as well as a stellar multi-show-runner...I can't do the same for Rothenberg and it kind of sours the waters for me as a result.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users