• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cooking ideas/recipes etc

#121 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:05 PM

Rinsing helps w/ excess starch - pretty much helps keeps the grains separate from each other after they cook. If you’re cooking for someone else, doesn’t hurt. If you’re just cooking regularly, makes no real difference.

#122 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:36 PM

Yeah I always assumed that, I just read somewhere that it's a bit of a myth - giving rice grains a rinse doesn't reduce starch, as it's in the grains.

Soaking them for half hour before cooking it can reduce the cooking time though as it's already softened.

I found the oil tip works a treat for keeping it all separated, no rinsing required.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#123 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:51 AM

View PostTehol8825, on 25 July 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

Rinsing helps w/ excess starch - pretty much helps keeps the grains separate from each other after they cook. If you're cooking for someone else, doesn't hurt. If you're just cooking regularly, makes no real difference.

View PostTraveller, on 25 July 2019 - 11:36 PM, said:

Yeah I always assumed that, I just read somewhere that it's a bit of a myth - giving rice grains a rinse doesn't reduce starch, as it's in the grains.

Soaking them for half hour before cooking it can reduce the cooking time though as it's already softened.

I found the oil tip works a treat for keeping it all separated, no rinsing required.

You should always wash the rice grains before cooking. As stated above it reduces the cooking time and honestly, rice is dirty. You need to wash it out.

As for keeping it separated, that depends on the rice. If you are using fine long grain rice like basmati, or jeerakathi, then as long as you don't overboil it, it should be fine. Bring the water to a boil, release the rice grains, leave it. do not stir it. occasionally dip a ladle in and raise the grains to see how far they are cooked. After its done, and when you need to strain out the starchy water, its always a good idea to pour some room temp water in there first.

Strain the starchy water out totally, leave it for some time. If you want it hot, cover it, but don't try to eat it immediately afterwards.

#124 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:34 AM

I'll try both next time. A good rinse and soak, and then use a bit of oil.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#125 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

This is why we can't have nice things.

Listen, I know from experience. Don't just run tap water over your rice and 'rinse' it, but actually get in there with your hands and scrub it. Like for real, work it (while water from the tap is running over it in a colander) in your hands, to scrub it clean. Believe me, a little bit of hard work and concerted preparation goes a long way, and the pay off is worth it at the end - optimal, perfect cooked rice.

Damn, have we just give up as a society and thrown all common sense out the window or what?

#126 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:13 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 July 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Listen, I know from experience. Don't just run tap water over your rice and 'rinse' it, but actually get in there with your hands and scrub it. Like for real, work it (while water from the tap is running over it in a colander) in your hands, to scrub it clean. Believe me, a little bit of hard work and concerted preparation goes a long way, and the pay off is worth it at the end - optimal, perfect cooked rice.

Damn, have we just give up as a society and thrown all common sense out the window or what?

Oh yeah, totally, use your fingers.

Also when you rinse it out, note the colour of the water. If its dirty grey or looks like it has things suspended in it, you need to wash it again. We do a minimum of three rinses.

That Basmati you are eating goes from here. What brand is it? Kohinoor? I know what happens in the rice mills, always wash it.

#127 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:24 PM

Sweet! I spotted a roasted chili pepper stand being setup at a popular corner intersection on Saturday. These stands usually pop up around here about the time the slightest indication the summer is winding down and we are about to transition into autumn. Just a little early for these parts this year, but that could be a good thing in that maybe this year has been a bountiful chili pepper year. These stands typically show up about last week of August / first week of September, then are a mainstay through early autumn (all of September and into mid October).

Anyways, I always look forward to roasted pepper season. Not only for it being a marker that oppressive summer heat is over but also because they are soooo yummy. If you haven't had a cheeseburger with a roasted jalapeno (either in the burger itself or on the side to munch on separately) then you haven't lived. If you've got wussy tolerance for spicy and can't handle jalapeno, then go for a roasted hatch, poblano or anaheim varieties. And of course, you have to either make (or find someone who can make) pork green chili. My sister's husband (who is Hispanic on his mother's side) makes some of the best around. I will be making a visit, as I do every year, for his renowned pork green chili.

Eat mor pepprs. They're powerhouse nutritious and good for you.

#128 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

how do I make leftover chicken and whole wheat lasagna noodles into a hangover cure?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#129 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:39 AM

Vodka

#130 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

Does anyone know anything about knives? I want to buy a chefs knife, bread knife and pairing knife for my place when I move out. I'm not an expert in the kitchen, though I wouldd like to improve. I don't need a ceramic knife or something hand made and sharpened by a Japanese katana maker but I would like to buy a chefs knife (at least) that for a little extra may potentially last me a lifetime. I get confused though. I could go on amazon and buy a cheap chefs knife for $10, get a global chefs knife (which is a brand I see everywhere) for $100 or get something else for $400 dollars. The first seems to be cheap junk, the latter seems to be way to much money on a knife that doesn't also have apps. Still where is quality found? $30? $70? $100 or more than that?

As for the rest of the knives collections seem to foist on you, utility knives, small and large chefs knives, I don't think I need more than those three I said. Maybe a carving knife if I ever start hosting but that's for the distant future I think. I may want some kitchen shears, I actually find those useful.

Also does anyone use one of those thermos lunch tins/pots/jars. I always prefer hot food to cold for anything but breakfast. I could see me using one of these but are they only good for things like soup or curry? Could I cook some chicken fillet and keep it warm? I feel like most times I see pictures of liquidy food because they can use most of the space, keep out the air and therefore stay warm for longer but I hate soup!

#131 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:37 AM

A $400 knife will last you a long time so long as you keep it sharp. I have a set that are probably in your $100 range and they are fine but the one I use most is starting to look like I need to replace it after 10 years.

I tested a £300 steel knife at a food festival a few weeks back. It had a lovely weight to it and looked really fancy. The dude on the stall was going on about it being top quality German steel. I have no idea if that is good. But! It was so sharp I could see myself taking a finger off even though I am pretty good with a knife.

I think I'm sticking to mid-range. So long as I sharpen mine regularly they are fine. I started out learning to cook on my own with $10 knives though and still have them in my kitchen drawer. They worked fine for my first 10 years in my own kitchen. We still use them when the nice ones aren't washed up and they are fine for whipping up something basic.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#132 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

I forgot to answer the second question about thermos food. I think they are usually used for stews and soups because they are slow cooked originally so the likelihood of them going off whilst being kept warm is low. Chicken fillet would run the risk of not being completely cooked and bacteria growing rapidly for a few hours in the warm conditions. The texture might not suit those conditions either.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#133 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:30 PM

View PostCause, on 21 August 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

Does anyone know anything about knives?

Yeah, you want to stick them with the pointy end.

I want to buy a chefs knife, bread knife and pairing knife for my place when I move out.

Oh hey, sorry misunderstood...

I'm not an expert in the kitchen, though I wouldd like to improve. I don't need a ceramic knife or something hand made and sharpened by a Japanese katana maker but I would like to buy a chefs knife (at least) that for a little extra may potentially last me a lifetime. I get confused though. I could go on amazon and buy a cheap chefs knife for $10, get a global chefs knife (which is a brand I see everywhere) for $100 or get something else for $400 dollars. The first seems to be cheap junk, the latter seems to be way to much money on a knife that doesn't also have apps. Still where is quality found? $30? $70? $100 or more than that?

I cook a lot. I have a few really good knives that were in the $30-50 for a set range. One large and one small chefs knives that are basically for chopping large numbers of things reasonably quickly. I use these a lot. A large and small santoku set that were a gift and do more or less the same stuff plus cuts, paring etc. I keep forgetting i own these unless the chef's knives are dirty. A carving knife/fork set that only comes out 2-3 times a year but just looks cool when i wield it like Excalibur and Neptune's Trident. One insanely sharp boning knife i almost never use except o threaten people who can recognize an insanely sharp boning knife. Two really good bread knives because cutting whole loaves, especially crusty breads, is a massive hassle with anything else. Those get lots of use. All of these are dishwasher-able because washing things by hand takes time i could spend drinking after making a meal or six. I know purists insist you only hand-wash your better knives but they are all anal retentive sociopaths with strong feelings about which way the toilet-paper roll properly rests.

But the things i use almost daily.... two sets of kitchen shears/scissors (one large, one small x2). I use these a tonne for salad, veg, fruit, packaging. 2 sets so i have one of any size when the other is dirty. And five paring knives and five near identical serrated 'utility' knives. I use these ALL the time. I can go through two or three during a simple meal prep... not one cost more than $5 but all are solid quality, and having that many means i can use 2-3 in a single simple meal prep (ie: cut onion, throw knife in sink, cut raw meat, throw knife in sink, cut intruding ninja assassin, throw knife and body in sink, switch to utility knife, cut carrots...etc).

Also, small/medium cutting boards. Get six. Never have to wash one because you cut raw meat before moving on to veg then again to cut fruit because you don't want apples to taste like onions.

Also does anyone use one of those thermos lunch tins/pots/jars. I always prefer hot food to cold for anything but breakfast. I could see me using one of these but are they only good for things like soup or curry? Could I cook some chicken fillet and keep it warm? I feel like most times I see pictures of liquidy food because they can use most of the space, keep out the air and therefore stay warm for longer but I hate soup!

Useful for stew and other liquidy things. Not very helpful with solids like a chicken breast and potatoes and veg. For those get glass or ceramic leak-proof things you can put in a microwave and/or use for self-defence.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#134 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

Good point about maybe several pairing knives, cutting boards and shears being important but I can grow as needed organically. I feel like I would really like a quality chefs knife, bread knife and maybe one personal steak knife. If I'm gonna need thre pairing knives or whatever I think they can be cheap. I like the idea of tools that last a lifetime, are mine, with proper care and some sharpening will still get the job done in 10 years. I don't know I like owning quality tools. Maybe its cheaper, easier to buy ten 10$ knives and replace them every year than it is to own 100$ knife. Though again I'm not a michellin star chef so I'm not trying to reach for the moon but the knives in my home are all cheap junk and dull. Drives me nuts. When possible I subscribe to a philosophy of buy once and buy right. I just feel like the market is oversaturated and marketing has taken over. Its the same with pocket knives. A knife is a knife is a knife. It needs a sharp blade, good steel and needs to not shatter if dropped or have the blade snap off from the handle. However they bombard us with 50 types of steel, fifty types of grinds, 6 inch, 7, inch, 8 inch, full tang, hand forged, hammered, the blade and handle are one piece, this is better, no this. I suspect 90% of it is distracting bullshit.

I feel like Santokku knives are too close to chef knives to justify owning both. Just a slightly different cultural heritage and aesthetic with minor differences in use?

#135 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

£300 for one knife is utter madness.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#136 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 August 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

£300 for one knife is utter madness.

This thinking is why we don't have lightsabres

#137 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostCause, on 22 August 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

Good point about maybe several pairing knives, cutting boards and shears being important but I can grow as needed organically. I feel like I would really like a quality chefs knife, bread knife and maybe one personal steak knife. If I'm gonna need thre pairing knives or whatever I think they can be cheap. I like the idea of tools that last a lifetime, are mine, with proper care and some sharpening will still get the job done in 10 years. I don't know I like owning quality tools. Maybe its cheaper, easier to buy ten 10$ knives and replace them every year than it is to own 100$ knife. Though again I'm not a michellin star chef so I'm not trying to reach for the moon but the knives in my home are all cheap junk and dull. Drives me nuts. When possible I subscribe to a philosophy of buy once and buy right. I just feel like the market is oversaturated and marketing has taken over. Its the same with pocket knives. A knife is a knife is a knife. It needs a sharp blade, good steel and needs to not shatter if dropped or have the blade snap off from the handle. However they bombard us with 50 types of steel, fifty types of grinds, 6 inch, 7, inch, 8 inch, full tang, hand forged, hammered, the blade and handle are one piece, this is better, no this. I suspect 90% of it is distracting bullshit.

I feel like Santokku knives are too close to chef knives to justify owning both. Just a slightly different cultural heritage and aesthetic with minor differences in use?

@ Mez: there's such a variety in types of steel that "german steel" is not much of a nomer. Given it is german and that expensive, it is likely a very high quality variety of stainless steel.
When looking for a knife to last you a lifetime, I'd always buy based on reviews and then feeling said knives in a shop, rather than buy at a market. Personally, I'd also disregard the intricacies of what particular type of steel offers you what qualities precisely, choose stainless steel for its durability and if you find midrange priced knives expensive enough, then choose a forged knife over a stamped one because it does add quality.

@ Cause: A Santoku is intended to only be a slicing knife (officially down and slightly forward), whereas a chef's knife, due to the curve, chops very well and slices pretty decently.
The wife has a second hand Sabatier chef's knife that she's pretty happy with, as she favors a chopping style of cutting.
As a birthday gift, she gave me a damascus forged santoku with a carbon steel edge (fancier than strictly necessary), and after I changed my handling style to slicing instead of chopping, I wouldn't want anything other than that.

If you want to know what to buy to have a full set of knives (plus plenty of other great cooking/equipment advice), Kenji Lopez Alt has good advice in The Food Lab.
Serious Eats updated that list recently: https://www.seriouse...ial-knives.html

If I had to give you one piece of advice;

The biggest change for my satisfaction with kitchen knives is honestly not the knives themselves, but the waterstones to sharpen with. Putting an edge on whenever you feel it is needed is obviously important, but I also find a certain sense of satisfaction in doing so. The activity is somewhat monotonous, most certainly a bit dirty (water, a bit of fine powdered grit) and time consuming but the shine and the edge are a reward by themselves, and gives a simple stamped steel blade an edge it never had before.

When it comes to bread knives, there's two schools.
First, bread knives are serrated and hard as fuck to sharpen, so buy cheap and replace.
Second, cheap bread knives are hard as fuck to cut a good crust with, so buy a medium range knife and replace it every few years.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 22 August 2019 - 02:00 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#138 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

I think you can get a decent chef’s knife for $50+, and it can work really well for a long time as long as you take care of it. But there are some decent knives that are even cheaper. Cuisinart makes greater starter set knives if you dont want to break the bank.

The trick is maintenance. You should have a sharpening steel (the steel rod) and use it frequently (every few uses). 4-5 swipes per side while applying a decent level of pressure. Worth noting this should not replace actual sharpening, the rod just serves to realign the edge. Every few months you should get your knives properly sharpened by a professional or using a machine.

If you take good care of your knives, a $20-50 cuisinart chef’s knife wont feel that much different than a $100+ knife, and it’ll still last you a long time.

But with a good chef’s knife, paring knfie and a serrated for bread you should be set. I hardly use anything else

#139 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

We have a Pampered Chef knife and it's been pretty great to us. I use it often. It was around $50 I think?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#140 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

There's a lot of 'foodies' who get duped by the 'must buy an expensive knife set'. Save your money and just get the reasonable collection off the shelf at Target. I would even just lean towards just make sure you have a reasonable quality chef knife. A chef knife will serve 90% of your cooking situations.

The most important thing is knife sharpness and making it part of your cooking routine to make sure any knife you reach for is sharp. Yes, this means doing the unglamorous work of not only learning how to effectively sharpen your knives, but actually being knowledgeable and patient and able to identify when your knifes need sharpening (and then actually sharpening them). I had to give my sister shit one Thanksgiving because the knife she was using couldn't cut through butter that had been softened in the microwave. KEEP YOUR FUCKING KNIVES SHARP OR DON'T COOK!

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users