• You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#561 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 16 February 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 15 February 2018 - 11:59 PM, said:

I tell ya, I never get tired of the “arming our teachers “ suggestion.

I love this one.

It's as if the US has an overabundance of trained teachers and can be choosy about them ...

Also as if the best trained teacher with a hand gun can remotely match the firepower of an AR-15.

Also the complete dogma involved in observing the world as it is and then arriving at this conclusion.

God it all pisses me off so much.

I saw a post that suggested every school should have 3 well armed Iraqi war vets to guard it. Protect the schools and help Vets find work

#562 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

But the terrorists!

#563 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

And of course, it's time to start trotting out the old faithful, "anything but the guns are to blame":

https://arstechnica....s-kentucky-gov/

Despite video games being ubiquitous across Canada, England, Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Australia, China, Japan, Russia, New Zealand, and the rest of the "developed world", while none of these countries have anything like the school shooting problem in America. But it must be those pesky old "violent video games" that are the problem, right? It can't possibly be the prevalence of firearms, can it?

I mean, I'm not about to say that America is some sort of cultural paradise, what with the police violence, racism, sexism, general xenophobia, and rampant fear of science/intelligence in general and of course, government. But there's a measure of that in every other country, too, and we are comparatively school-shooting free.

And let's not even get started on the fact that you can, you know, roll back sweeping gun reform if it somehow doesn't work out. >.>

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#564 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

My favourite crap that they trot out is the whole "Well, they are going to get guns illegally anyways, you can't stop the mentally ill"...or "What are you going to do, get 300 million people to turn in their guns? Good luck!"....as if doing ANYTHING is a mistake because there is a chance there will be pushback, or that it might not be a sweeping, immediate success.

It's so beyond mind-boggling that they can sit there and say "Well, it MIGHT not work as well as you think though, so better not try"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck these people.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#565 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

I tell ya, I never get tired of the “arming our teachers “ suggestion.

If we could just give our teachers printer toner, basic school supplies, and less crowded classrooms first, I think they'd be happy to stick their free guns into safes in the basement of the school and never ever use them or carry them.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#566 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

Also giving teachers guns and training them to prepare them to murder the children they're supposed to be teaching makes them no longer teachers. It's more like prison guards at that point. That is such an enormously bad idea.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#567 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 February 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

I tell ya, I never get tired of the "arming our teachers " suggestion.

If we could just give our teachers printer toner, basic school supplies, and less crowded classrooms first, I think they'd be happy to stick their free guns into safes in the basement of the school and never ever use them or carry them.

This was my wifes response as well. She's a bit more rational than me. "Schools cant even afford to give their teachers basic school supplies, but we're going to train them and buy them all guns."

Some more that i really enjoy.

"Kids today just arent disciplined anymore"

"We need God back in schools"

"A gun is just a tool"

"Criminals wont follow gun laws"

"Its not a gun issue, its a mental health issue"

"Assault rifles have been around for years and are just now a problem?"

"Now is not the time to discuss gun control"

And the #1!

"Guns dont kill people, people kill people"

I'm so fucking sick.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#568 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

I wonder if any of the proponents of these silly pro-gun arguments has ever had a kid or relative die in one of these mass shootings...and I wonder if it changed their tune afterwards?

I can't imagine them having that POV if they'd lost someone to such a senseless and totally PREVENTABLE death.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#569 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

The best gun control meme i've seen so far.

"We should rename schools uterus so Republicans will care that kids are dying inside them."

#570 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

I'm a teacher, and today was professional development ( all the teachers in the district get together and take educational seminars). This other teacher was discussing whether she would be the type of teacher that would die for her students, like that football coach in Florida. It's so fucking bleak that a bunch of teachers were discussing how we react If there was a mass shooting.

It's a fucking nightmare

#571 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

#572 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

I like to imagine a country where the folks who are most emphatic about what they'd do to protect kids: jump in front of cars, rush into a burning building, guard smaller bodies with their own in an emergency, fight back. Those people who hear of a child abuser and go "put me alone in a room with him for ten minutes." They hear of a way to protect kids that involves banning the worst of the worst built-for-war guns from public consumption, plus a bit more regulation of the more common guns used for hunting and self defense. And they don't immediately throw a conniption fit.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#573 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

I've said my thoughts before and there seems little point repeating them, it's just heartbreaking what is happening and I'm still incredulous that nothing ever changes...

And on that note, what's the thoughts in America? Are enough people finally getting pissed off that the mass could force some change?

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#574 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

View Postchamp, on 16 February 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

I've said my thoughts before and there seems little point repeating them, it's just heartbreaking what is happening and I'm still incredulous that nothing ever changes...

And on that note, what's the thoughts in America? Are enough people finally getting pissed off that the mass could force some change?

Just more thoughts and prayers.

#575 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

My take: I tend to agree with HD that the hope lies with young people. Boomers are awful, Gen X slightly better, older millennials fairly better than both of them...but younger millennials and gen-y are light years ahead on this. Which means the future looks brighter than the present, but only in a deferred kind of way until a certain segment of society calves off, if you catch my drift. Sooner better than later.

#576 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

View Postchamp, on 16 February 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

The issue is people don't stay pissed off.

The politicians who should do something send out thoughts and prayers, there is talk about things they could do, and they just wait until the news cycle moves on and change dies in committee or with no votes scheduled so there is no specific finger to point.

Consider the Vegas shooting. That one was enabled by a so-obviously-unneeded accessory, that even Republicans were saying "yeah we could look at banning bump stocks", and even the NRA was kind of saying "we won't fight it". But do you actually get a law or a ban? No.

And Democrats could do a more effective job fighting this too. The democrats in anti-gun districts rail on it right after the incident, making sure they get their image as common sense crusaders. Good for their re-election. But once the shooting has lost the news cycle, are they putting others on blast as to "these are the specific people and votes that killed it"? At some level, too many democrats would rather have guns to campaign against then actually press the issue enough to get something done.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#577 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:11 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 15 February 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 15 February 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

This is a heartbreaking and terrifying thing...

In extension of this, but maybe the flip side of the same coin, I'd like to post this more heartening sentiment.

Posted Image

They shouldn't have to -- they're just kids -- but they're going to anyway.

#578 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:59 AM

/looks around, reads responses...

It’s values. As we have changed as a society we have definitely lost them. On some areas yes we have been progressive. In others we are have become far weaker and lesser as a people.

Some of this is socioeconomic in the single mother paradigm and broken families that has rooted its way in particular communities. On other’s it’s the political driven removal of values from certain ways of life and instillation of other politics that drives school systems(more prevalent in higher eduction). Mostly the result is we are producing less than empathic children that have been shown an society that’s quite rotten if you consider it. We show murder casually, we can play video game murder simulations and not bat an eye. You know this your heart that maybe this is messing us up more than we admit.

Then, The idea of punishment to our mere children is too hard to consider! However, this is done to shield adults from pain they cannot stand. We forget that we are mere animals ourselves, we forget that children are not fully developed. They can be quite cruel themselves. We shun the singular ones and leave some behind alone in society to deal with them. They have to deal with the children who now run the show as the adults are too weak to protect.

The the great statists goverment.. so many problem come from here :

https://www.fff.org/...ere-and-abroad/
https://www.fff.org/...ublic-can-keep/

YouTube reference to the above articles : American culture:

(It’s strange how much you read a mere blog and totally can go..right on!)

The government should be absolutely separated from the education of our children on the mere grounds they cannot protect them. This current goverment really shouldn’t get our support of being entrusted with our children.

That’s where I’m at right now ..more to come. Keep remembering guns ain’t going nowhere, so all this talk about it is rather pointless. You should be discussing and figuring out ways to figure out more root causes.. more ways to help people... our children.. from entering and becoming this. All of this we are seeing though are all symptoms of the long collapse ( another day we will get back to that.. the fall of America)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 17 February 2018 - 07:12 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#579 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:14 AM

None of the republican talking points you just regurgitated addresses the issue.

WHY ARE FIREARMS READILY AVAILABLE TO KIDS AND MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE?!

WHY ARE SEMI-AUTOMATIC OR FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS SOLD TO CIVILIANS?!

These two questions have nothing to do with family values or pseudo-social politics about video games or the good ol' days when women were house wives and we beat our children.

#580 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:15 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 17 February 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

/looks around, reads responses...

It’s values. As we have changed as a society we have definitely lost them. On some areas yes we have been progressive. In others we are have become far weaker and lesser as a people.

Some of this is socioeconomic in the single mother paradigm and broken families that has rooted its way in particular communities. On other’s it’s the political driven removal of values from certain ways of life and instillation of other politics that drives school systems(more prevalent in higher eduction). Mostly the result is we are producing less than empathic children that have been shown an society that’s quite rotten if you consider it. We show murder casually, we can play video game murder simulations and not bat an eye. You know this your heart that maybe this is messing us up more than we admit.

Then, The idea of punishment to our mere children is too hard to consider! However, this is done to shield adults from pain they cannot stand. We forget that we are mere animals ourselves, we forget that children are not fully developed. They can be quite cruel themselves. We shun the singular ones and leave some behind alone in society to deal with them. They have to deal with the children who now run the show as the adults are too weak to protect.

The the great statists goverment.. so many problem come from here :

https://www.fff.org/...ere-and-abroad/
https://www.fff.org/...ublic-can-keep/

It’s strange how much you read a mere blog and totally can go..right on!

The government should be absolutely separated from the education of our children on the mere grounds they cannot protect them.

That’s where I’m at right now ..more to come. Keep remembering guns ain’t going nowhere, so all this talk about it is rather pointless. You should be discussing and figuring out ways to figure out more root causes.. more ways to help people... our children.. from entering and becoming this. All of this we are seeing though are all symptoms of the long collapse ( another day we will get back to that.. the fall of America)

And all of this is unique to America, is it? Violent movies? Socioeconomic stresses? Cultural changes?

What "root causes" are in America that are not in Canada? In the UK? In Australia?

And which values, exactly, have we lost, btw?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

32 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users