Malazan Empire: Investing and trading - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Investing and trading stocks, shares, indexes, shorts, etc....

#61 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:20 PM

But are people like literally selling memes? Or what?

Do I start photoshopping immediately?

#62 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

So Bill Hwang.

Complete and utter fuck up, or...given the rebounds after bulk dumping a fuck up that he was able to spin out into a few firms massive advantage?

Also, the guy was done in 2012 for insider trading, how is he in a position to to fuck up 80 fucking billions dollars worth of people's monies?

This post has been edited by Macros: 29 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

#63 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:22 PM

'The newly crowned heavyweight champ reportedly raised more than half a million dollars via the auction of non-fungible tokens [NFTs] ahead of his UFC 260 bout [...]

[...] At the sports level, they've become something like digital trading cards.

[...] Ngannou partnered up with digital artist BossLogic to create a series of 12 NFTs[...] All told the bidding raised $581,000, which (if the PR firm associated with the blockchain company managing the NFT is to be believed) is more than the $500,000 that Ngannou reportedly earned fighting [...] for the belt.

[...] one[...] NFT that pulled in $284k did come with a fan package as well, including 2 tickets to the 'Predator''s next fight, a pair of autographed gloves and some sand from the sand mine where Ngannou labored as a youth [...] Still the obvious draw here appears to be the future speculative value on these digital assets. 10% of the total proceeds from the auction will reportedly go to Ngannou's charity efforts as the champ looks to establish mixed martial arts in his birth country of Cameroon.

Although it seems doubtful that Ngannou got the bulk of the proceeds here, given the kind of money involved, it seems like this could be the kind of partnership we see more often'

https://www.bloodyel...laries-mma-news

Here's one of them:

https://mkpcdn.com/v...57d2_589822.mp4

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 April 2021 - 10:28 PM

#64 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:12 AM

'[...] a Robinhood newbie is facing a potential tax bill of $800,000 despite only making $45,000 in net trading profits; the individual also earned $60,000 at his day job. The example reinforces the importance of understanding complex trading rules and the tax implications of certain strategies.

[...] the investor, who works full-time in insurance, opened a new brokerage account in 2020 and quickly scaled his trading. He had between $200,000 and $2 million in trading volume per day, completing between 10 and 50 trades daily[...]

"This poor soul traded all of the popular stocks you see in the media consistently all year long. . . [but] he never knew anything about the wash sale rules[...] He booked a profit but was disallowed all the losses because he never once waited the 30 days on those stocks to book the loss," [...]

The wash sale rule is an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulation that prohibits someone from claiming a loss by selling and purchasing either the same or similar securities within 30 days of the sale at a loss. To comply with the rule, investors must wait at least 31 days before repurchasing the same investment.

[...] With so many more new traders using platforms like Robinhood, the rule "could pose a problem for novices who spent 2020 trading in and out of the same few stocks. Their investments may have lost value, but they won't be able to claim a loss on their 1040 form."'

https://www.forbes.c...sh=3a82c16b67c7

I was tempted to invest a bit in the new actively managed space ETF, ARKX, but I see it has significant amounts of stocks like Amazon, Netflix, JD and lots of other stuff that's available without the high expense ratio (and that I already have, either directly or through low expense ratio ETF's). Seems they're not very confident in their ability to pick relevant stocks, and trying to pad the fund's performance. ROKT ETF has a lower expense ratio, is passively managed, and focuses on space and deep sea exploration, but a large portion is invested in defense contractors, and defense funding may shift from jet manufacturers to AI, cyberwarfare, maybe even quantum cryptography, etc. OTOH it could increase. Might be a good hedge against possible negative economic repercussions from the threat of physical war.... And the Biden Democrats might not just keep on pumping money into what seem like ridiculously wasteful jet programs but increase spending in an arms race with China. OTOHOH... not sure I want to fund the war industry any more than I already have to through taxes.

'ARK Space Exploration & Innovation exchange-traded fund [...] investors found some surprises in the fund’s portfolio: Some popular firms in space-exploration related fields were not included, while other seemingly unrelated names–including half a dozen internet tech giants–make up a significant weight.
That is because ARK’s space fund (ticker: ARKX) isn’t limited to companies directly involved in the space business, but also other innovations that have indirectly enabled the space boom. The ETF owns Google parent Alphabet (ticker: GOOG), for example, because it’s a leader in artificial intelligence. [...]

The fund’s second-largest position is another ARK product, the $548 million ARK 3D Printing ETF (PRNT). That’s because many rocket parts are 3D printed for reasons related to cost, weight, and durability [...]

[...] there is one glaring omission in the fund: It doesn’t hold any of the new pure-play space companies set to go public via mergers with special purpose acquisition companies, or SPACs.'

https://www.barrons....ngs-51617150050

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 April 2021 - 03:23 AM

#65 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:13 AM

If you were able to show us the little nft video, how does it have any value?

Just seems like the biggest scam ever

#66 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:11 AM

View PostMacros, on 02 April 2021 - 07:13 AM, said:

If you were able to show us the little nft video, how does it have any value?

Just seems like the biggest scam ever

It's basically e-peen competition. You demonstrate your wealth by investing in smth that has arbitrary value (because it's scarce and unique)

It's all make-up value that exists for people who have too much money, imo.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#67 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:23 AM

Like most "art". :rolleyes:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#68 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 05 April 2021 - 01:23 AM, said:

Like most "art". :rolleyes:

I mean Art is an attractive target for money launderers, same as real estate. It holds its value.

I've always considered ART a way of showing off money. I don't have anything against artists making a living and selling paintings or prints for a few hundred to a few thousand, everyone has a hussle and you should be paid for your labor and skill. But when art pieces start going for 7+digits... thats the point at which you're seing inflation based off people wanting to show off wealth.

#69 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

http://youtu.be/Dw5kme5Q_Yo

#70 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

'For the Love of God is a sculpture by artist Damien Hirst [...] platinum cast of an 18th-century human skull encrusted with 8,601 flawless diamonds, including a pear-shaped pink diamond located in the forehead that is known as the Skull Star Diamond. The skull's teeth are original, and were purchased by Hirst in London.'

https://en.wikipedia...the_Love_of_God

Posted Image

'"Silent crash" as price floors collapse across NFT space

Prices are plummeting, and some holders might not even know it

While fungible tokens traded on centralized and decentralized exchanges have significant transparency regarding price movements, nonfungible tokens can be harder to track. Because of their illiquid nature, gauging the sentiment of the overall market for a project can be difficult [...]

However, metrics such as "floor price" — the lowest price at which a NFT can be bought for a particular project — as well as total volume can indicate that a bull is turning into a bear.

There could be bad news on the horizon for NFT collectors, too, as signs are pointing to a nasty silent crash underway.

CryptoPunks, among the earliest and most popular NFT projects for collectors, have seen a over 40% decrease in floor price[...]

"The market has been trending downward since the Feb 22. It seems like there are two types of sellers. One, the investor who got in early and wants to cash out with exponential profit. Two, the investor who bought at or near the top and can't stomach to watch their investment lose value by the day," [...]

"I think it's a healthy, relatively short-term correction. [...] I'm very bullish overall."'

https://cointelegrap...cross-nft-space

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 April 2021 - 08:04 PM

#71 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:13 PM

Seems appropriate the legacy of Fyre Festival and NFTs would eventually converge. Fyre Festival had Ja Rule, NFTs have Paris Hilton and Gronk.

Posted Image

#72 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:54 PM

Bernie Madoff died (in prison). Didn't get the details, but I sort of remember reading that he had covid early on, like months ago early in the pandemic? Which I'm guessing he recovered from? But a knock-on effect from that?

#73 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

Bernie Madoff dead?

#putoutyourpyramids
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#74 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

Kevin Smith To Sell Horror Movie 'Killroy Was Here' As NFT

*link is to deadline.com

#75 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Okay investing nerds. What the ever loving eff is "Dogecoin"? And why does it use that Shiba Inu dog meme as its branding logo? Oh, and is pronounced dodge-coin (like the sound from dodgeball) or dough-ge-coin (like the sound from the stuff you bake)?

#76 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:42 PM

'Billionaire Investor Reveals the Secret to His Success: Shrooms

Posted Image

German investor Christian Angermayer—a 42-year-old billionaire who bears a not-negligible resemblance to Jared Leto in Blade Runner 2049—has made a fortune betting on a host of sci-fi-sounding finance fads. Among them: space travel, crypto, psychedelics, movies, weed, SPACs, and "life extension.

[...] called in from his home in London, where he'd hung an "ancient statue of Hecate, the Greek goddess of witchcraft, in the background." From there, Angermayer detailed his conversion from life-long straight-edge to something out of a Phish festival, after a revelatory chat with a neuroscientist eight years prior.

[...] he gave shrooms a try. The experience, the billionaire said, "was the single most meaningful thing I've done in my whole life."

In the ego death of his hallucinations, Angermayer "finally understood Bitcoin."'

https://www.thedaily...uccess?ref=home

To understood Dogecoin I guess you need to do DMT....

In all seriousness, I've been reluctant to invest in blockchain because quantum computing can wreck its encryption, which will require a major overhaul. If that happens sooner than expected---for example, if Putin or someone similarly unscrupulous had a clandestine program that managed to do it---they're screwed. OTOH I did put a small amount in BLOK (blockchain ETF) in September and my investment's more than doubled---up by 112% (even after the recent crypto dive... but the (possible) bubble still has a ways to collapse). My late March / early April investments in automation ETFs are only up by values ranging from 125% (so I now have 225% of that initial investment) to 92% (average around 106%, beating general tech index funds by about 10% to 30% when matched by date). Though I would have 'made more' (on paper) if I'd just put it all in DHI (a homebuilding stock... which takes up far too much of my portfolio currently) instead, which is up by 213%... for now. (But DHI is only up about 60% from its peak right before the pandemic crash.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 April 2021 - 12:30 AM

#77 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:55 PM

'Disaster girl,' current college senior, sells NFT of viral photo for nearly $500,000

*link is to abc7.com

#78 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

Such invest, very value. Wow. So coin
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#79 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:08 PM

The associated work with digital coins (making them, buying them, storing them, finding a trustworthy service to use them to buy things, not getting my shit stolen etc) make it an unappealing thing to me. I get how others have different decisions about this, but I don't want to put my labor/time/money into something that has a fairly high learning curve and a higher level of maintenance work/tracking than I enjoy having.

I get that it isn't dwarf fortress level difficult, but I put a bunch of money into Magic the Gathering cards and that has given me potential gains of almost double in about 4 years. Those are much easier to handle, store, and I can even play with them.

If things go as they are likely to over the next two years, I could probably buy an entire top of the line, all the bells and whistles model of a Honda with those cardboard squares.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#80 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/...6525188?lang=en

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic