• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forged in FIre

#161 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

Well, that was a let down. Come on guy, you can't miss parameters, especially when you are a past champion who is chosen to go up against one of the judges. The fact that it was a blade length parameter that was missed is even more disheartening, as that is a common parameter requirement that is incorporated into every challenge. He did hit the weight parameter exactly at the weight limit (3 lbs.), so maybe he was completely distracted by that and it led to the length snafu? Never seen the weight requirement before, which I think would be good to implement going forward because in past episodes the judges often complain that the weapon is too heavy.

David Baker did not disappoint in this. That medieval arming sword was beautiful and performed beyond reproach in that kill test. Would have liked to see it continue with the strength and sharpness tests. Stupid contestant, parameter fail buzzkill.Posted Image

#162 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 June 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

Well, that was a let down. Come on guy, you can't miss parameters, especially when you are a past champion who is chosen to go up against one of the judges. The fact that it was a blade length parameter that was missed is even more disheartening, as that is a common parameter requirement that is incorporated into every challenge. He did hit the weight parameter exactly at the weight limit (3 lbs.), so maybe he was completely distracted by that and it led to the length snafu? Never seen the weight requirement before, which I think would be good to implement going forward because in past episodes the judges often complain that the weapon is too heavy.

David Baker did not disappoint in this. That medieval arming sword was beautiful and performed beyond reproach in that kill test. Would have liked to see it continue with the strength and sharpness tests. Stupid contestant, parameter fail buzzkill.Posted Image

I spoiled myself by reading the first sentence of your comment before watching the episode. As I watched, I thought for sure he was going to miss the weight requirement but instead he missed length by 3/8 of an inch. Ouch. Again, 8 hours to make a complete sword. I agree that a weight requirement might be a good idea for some, if not all, the final challenge weapons. I recall at least one contestant lost without ever having his weapon tested because it was so heavy. The quality and even beauty of the swords the 2 judges have managed to produce in that amount of time is unbelievable. Its an absolute pleasure to watch them go about their business. Jay Nielson's got to be up next. I'm looking forward to that.

#163 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, to be able to do that work in 8 hours is insane. The weight requirement would be nice going forward. It seems like often times the weapons look great and would be a nice display piece but do not have much function because of encumbrance.

I hope J. Neilson is up next. I really want to see (I guess it would be Ben Abbott?) put his weapon through the strength test. Ben no where near brings the aggression J. does, but hopefully he will put a little extra hot sauce on it. Do it for the fans Ben! J deserves it!

#164 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

As expected, we got Jay Neilson in this episode. First I must say, Burt (Bert?) the champion who goes up against Jay makes absolutely beautiful knives/swords. His matched pair of duel swords for the 2nd round were spectacular! I would've strongly considered buying them, I liked them so much, not that I could afford what they're likely worth. And he was a judge of Jay's work at Jay's master smith trial?! I assume that means Burt is a master smith himself? I don't think that was ever stated. I like how close these judgings are with such quality work competing. One single mistake, that the eventual loser was aware of at the time it was made, was the difference.

#165 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:37 PM

That entry knife that Burt entered with had one of the most beautiful Damascus patterns I've seen on the show...stunning, breath taking. Do an image search of Burt Foster knives and you can see more of his amazing work. Dude is ridiculously talented.

J. Neilson showed his skill when he torch tempered for speed, which requires an expert eye, as opposed to placing the blades in the tempering oven, which normally takes four hours according to the judges discussion of the tool. Also, J. used WD40 instead of flux for the welds. I've never seen that on the show. Is that something J. has always kept to himself? (what a dick *j/k Posted Image) or do they not allow that during a normal competition? Seemed to work a lot better then flux.

I knew those deep finger wells J. Neilson was lamenting about his fighting knives as he was working were going to be his undoing. Damn, I wish Ben Abbott would have given J. more good-natured ribbing before the strength test.

That kill test though was the main atraction, imo. That kill test should be watched by any fantasy writer worth their salt who wants inspiration on how to approach a fighting scene in their work. Those fighting knives and how Doug violated that ballastic dummy might have very well been the most bad ass test ever executed on the show.

#166 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

View PostNot a Sheep, on 02 July 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

Nice ep. that was a pity win decision though just so ole Jay didn't get his feelings hurt. That blade looked like shit.

Jason Knight got a brief flashback.

Also anyone else get some grin time in seeing Doug's face light up when ole dude that should have won brought that sexy blade in at the beginning? Doug looked so happy.

Yeah, Jay's blade was no work of art but in fairness he made that one in 5 and a half hours instead of 8. If the (over) weight issue hadn't cost plenty of others in the past, I might cry foul on Jay getting the win but...

#167 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:24 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 30 July 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

Ah boi anyone else watch last nights episode? Channeling the regular season and Beat the Judges! It was a fun one.

Just saw the Super Champion episode last night. What a brutal knife test that was. "We're just going to pile weight on your blades until one of them breaks." It was hard to tell because of the slow motion but was there more than a second of real time between the 2 breaking? I like the fact the that each one of the judges has now commented on what the clock can do to you when you're in the competition there on the floor. The final tests were pretty vicious too. So this Super Champ has now got to be just one step below Ben Abbott, right? He's won twice, the 2nd time against all former champs and then beat a judge. Abbott has won twice but was his 2nd win also against former champs? And he has won twice in Beat the Judges, too.

#168 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:08 PM

Alright, that did fall short (alluded to that happening in my original post in the TV thread here > https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1412229).

The opening challenge does not require my play by play, lets just say it was pretty horrible. The new approach for the contestants to "buy" their forge assets should be mothballed for good. That was dumb shit.

And what was up with J. Neilson making those cash registers jizz fake money during the strength test? Can you imagine the conference room team meeting at the whiteboard? spit-ballin' ideas?

"well guys, we are pretty confident this 'buy your forge tools' idea is dumb shit and so we'll probably get to the testing round with some pretty awful knives, so lets at least do something fun for the viewers." "So when J. clubs their knives into a old-timey cash register, we'll make it orgasm at the end and shoot fake money all over the place... in slow motion"... "yeah, sounds great, lets go with that, get production on it ASAP!" Posted Image

The final two challengers who advanced and that final challenge was.. meh. That one dude was putting off serious "Sling Blade" vibes.

Posted Image

He'd like some french fried potaters.... mmmmmmm hhmmmmmm.

#169 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:38 PM

So I was watching History channel, but was occupied doing something at the time during commercials when a Forged in Fire spot came on about the upcoming season starting in November, and I thought I heard there will be a new host. I wasn't sure, but I searched and found a post to reddit about this also. That will be weird if Wil Willis isn't hosting. Something has to be up with that. I guess we'll see. *Wil-Willis-McConaughey-impersonation: "alright alright alright."

https://www.reddit.c...5a3t5/new_host/

#170 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:06 AM

Fuck you Grady Powell! Fuckin' chubby Captain America looking bitch. This shit better be temporary. If I tune in next week and I see fat Chris Evans I'm Audi 5000.

#171 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:10 AM

That joke though. Fuck this is terrible. Ben Abott just kind of awkwardly chuckled and played along. Sucks for Ben that he has to be seated closest to this mistake. This is going to be painful to watch. I may be out now.

#172 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:05 PM

It’s on Netflix now, the truth is they make the competition too hard or the contestants are not good enough. I’m getting bored of seeing 3 shitty knives that barely pass the test and the two least shitty ones pass. Often it’s decided in the first test Immediately when someone’s blade or handle just snaps. Give them one extra hour, give them 30 mins of nothing but planning.

Only so many times I can watch someone realize in a rush they drew the pin holes in the wrong place. Stop giving them crap to forge. If you want to show someone forge a survival knife on a dessert island fine. But. Why give them garbage scrap from a barber chair and than and than let the. Use professional forges and a power hammer,

I want to see beautiful Damascus blades, with beautiful profiles and grinds that can chop through five ice blocks.

#173 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:15 PM

That's pretty much the formula, so you won't get much variety from that. That first portion of the competition is very often times worthy of "stop watchingitis." I guess people like to see the disasters? I find it boring, other then the discussion of the smithing processes taking place, and the various techniques the contestants are required to fulfill. There are a lot of episodes (too many in fact), so that only carries my interest so far after the 45th episode of the same season.

It's the final weapons build between the two standing smiths at their home forges and then the tests that are performed on their weapons/blades that keeps me tuned it. I DVR the show and much of the time fast-forward right to this final challenge.

Look for the episodes where past champions battle the judges, as the those shows are mostly solid throughout. J. Neilson (one of the judges) is a beast, a dick no doubt, but a beast. The way he asks "are you ready" and the contestant says, in a not too confident manner, "I guess so" and J. Neison comes back with "well, I'm going to anyway"... never gets old.

#174 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:27 PM

Yip but that’s excavtly my point if you only enjoy half the show, retool the show. I doubt we are the minority.

Crazy idea. Start with 2 days at your own forge to make a knife. Make the parameters very specific. Make the test much more grueling but let’s see four awesome knives go head to head. Than the winning two can make a battle axe, same thing.

Have episodes were we skip the knife part entirely and just give four people five days to make a longsword. Tell them the test in advanced and let’s see what different things people do to get ready. If you know you have to chop through a shield will you make it heavier and sturdier and sacrifice the sharpness. Maybe have experts make a breastplate. It’s getting old is all

It’s fun to watch and I know the appeal of it to the history channel is probably just how cheap it is to produce but it could be so much better.

#175 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:00 PM

Agree with all of that. I would be all in for the show to change up the format. As you say, the way the show is designed probably makes it really cheap to produce, so I'm guessing if they continue hitting some level of ratings it will continue on as it is. I think will it drop in ratings eventually enough were the show is cancelled, instead of any dramatic change or retooling of the current format. I do hope they continue with the special shows like the judges challenge and such. Although the movie/television tie-in shows have been a disaster.

Crazy idea. Start with 2 days at your own forge to make a knife. Make the parameters very specific. Make the test much more grueling but let's see four awesome knives go head to head. Than the winning two can make a battle axe, same thing.

The battle the judges episodes sort of used that idea - forge a weapon at home forge prior to the competition proper. They were beautiful blades and had to be a blast to wield.

#176 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 November 2020 - 02:06 AM, said:

Fuck you Grady Powell! Fuckin' chubby Captain America looking bitch. This shit better be temporary. If I tune in next week and I see fat Chris Evans I'm Audi 5000.

Lol. Finally watched the episode. I've never been a huge fan of Wil Willis, in fact, I rather disliked him for a while. But his absence was QUITE jarring, I agree, though I didn't hate the replacement as much as you seem to. If you're referring to the scar faced Hydra goon from the elevator scene in Winter Soldier, he kinda looks like that guy, now that I think about it.

The earlier seasons of FoF seemed to draw lesser skilled smiths more often than the later seasons, if I recall correctly. But there is no doubt that the Beat the Judges version of the show is by far the best.

#177 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:16 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 21 November 2020 - 02:00 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 November 2020 - 02:06 AM, said:

Lol. Finally watched the episode. I've never been a huge fan of Wil Willis, in fact, I rather disliked him for a while. But his absence was QUITE jarring, I agree, though I didn't hate the replacement as much as you seem to. If you're referring to the scar faced Hydra goon from the elevator scene in Winter Soldier, he kinda looks like that guy, now that I think about it.

The earlier seasons of FoF seemed to draw lesser skilled smiths more often than the later seasons, if I recall correctly. But there is no doubt that the Beat the Judges version of the show is by far the best.

He looks like chubby Chris Evans (aka fat Captain America).

Wil Willis has mannerisms that grate on me and I find irritating, no doubt. His McConaughey "alright-alright-alright" over used got to. He will do that swagger walk when he approaches a contestant (after meeting with the judges) to tell them they are to leave the forge immediately. And he always is wearing Chuck Taylor style Converse sneakers. But, Willis has a definite command and rapport with the judges and also is better with the contestants. Now mind you, chubby Chris Evans is only one show in, so we'll see if he gets more comfortable, but that first show was not good for him, imo.

#178 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:48 AM

Ugh, watched the latest episode. He is terrible, bring back Wil Willis please. Final weapon was pretty badass though.

#179 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:16 AM

First episode this season where J. Neilson appears. Was looking for any indication he didn't like fat Captain America. I couldn't really tell, but chubby Chris Evans' attempt at being witty is falling flat. It was good to see J. back in his ol' asshole form and putting the fear of max agro weapon abuse into the contestants.

Final weapon was pretty bad ass - a honkin' huge ass claymore. The show title is "The Giant Sword of William Wallace." Is that a double entendre about his penis size? And to beat it all (see what I did therePosted Image), Doug made a comment - "lets talk about your blade here, a pocket knife it is not" - after cutting in half a boar's carcass. Oh My!

#180 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:47 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 December 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

First episode this season where J. Neilson appears. Was looking for any indication he didn't like fat Captain America. I couldn't really tell, but chubby Chris Evans' attempt at being witty is falling flat. It was good to see J. back in his ol' asshole form and putting the fear of max agro weapon abuse into the contestants.

Final weapon was pretty bad ass - a honkin' huge ass claymore. The show title is "The Giant Sword of William Wallace." Is that a double entendre about his penis size? And to beat it all (see what I did therePosted Image), Doug made a comment - "lets talk about your blade here, a pocket knife it is not" - after cutting in half a boar's carcass. Oh My!

Well, if I'm not mistaken, William Wallace was well over 6 feet tall so make of that what you will...
Haven't seen it yet but I'll be very interested in how claymores hold up. Pretty sure they've done a traditional claymore (the exceptionally long version, not the shorter, basket hilt kind) before and I don't think either one completed the final challenges? Or at least, both took significant damage?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users