• You cannot reply to this topic

Forged in FIre

#21 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 March 2016 - 03:17 AM, said:

Did this come on this week?

Yes it aired this week but was a rather unimpressive episode compared to the last several. There was a female smith for the 2nd time but none of the 1st 4 contestants had more than 5 years experience. The final challenge was the Nepalese kukri and I didn't think either was quite on par with the finals of previous episodes.

#22 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 April 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

I'm sure this crowd will watch this new Iron and Fire show

Going to check that out later on tonight.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#23 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

View PostBriar King, on 12 April 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

I'm sure this crowd will watch this new Iron and Fire show

I saw a couple minutes included at the end of the last FiF episode on the dvr. I'd like to watch it but at the same time, I'm still trying to reduce the amount of time I sit in front of the tv...

Is it just me or has the quality of what the smiths have produced in the last several episodes not been as impressive as episodes in S1?

#24 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:21 AM

Wow missed this thread!

I have been a custom knife enthusiast/collector/gambler for fifteen+ years. Been to Bladeshow, multiple custom knife shows, did the lottery thing in that time. (Usual Suspect Forum 4/2001 Join Date). I have owned about every type of custom knife, but about a year + sold all my customs and bought the equipment. The custom knife industry has really gotten out of control with it dependence toward folders and the scaling of custom blades going from $500-->1500-2k a pop. It's basically like a watch and a status symbol now...

This show is interesting to say the least. I do think the 1st part of the challenge is somewhat arbitrary in the way the blades are tested. That's my biggest gripe with the show. I see why they do it for the mainstream audience, but it would be cool if they had some across the board standards... so everyone could get the view on a cool blade/weapon. I would like them to get some of the Legends of Knifemaking. I think I know why they don't want to join up as your reputation as a good blade smith is really made, or broken about how people view your tool.The collectors are a tough crowd and some people are popular one second and down the next. I could see the said test's above really hindering the pulling any of the giants of this industry. This show could really last longer on this viewpoint.

2nd part: They need to do a Forged in Fire Bracket already. Winners vs Winners.

3rd part: I do so love watching them struggle and watch them do their thing. Really amazing.

Myself: I still need a ton!!! more time behind the anvil and it tough as I'm off late. So I can't really get the chance to it till the weekends. It's hard, but so much fun. If your on the fence go for it.... Go find a local open forge too.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#25 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:21 AM

So Season 3 of FiF started last Tuesday, 8/23 but I just got around to watching it now. This 1st episode was a challenge of 4 previous winners, which upped the ante as they all knew the competitors were proven. The initial knife challenge had an added requirement that made things a little tougher on the contestants but the best part of the episode was the final challenge between the last 2 smiths. They brought back the Scottish Claymore for the final test, which had been the final once last season but neither blade made it through the tests. The results were definitely better this time.

The next episode features fan favorite smiths from previous episodes. I would like to see more former champion episodes. Hopefully that will happen more than this one time.

#26 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on 31 August 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

That was a weird ending test. Why was there no kill test?

Good point. I knew something was missing and that there were usually 3 tests. Don't know why they would've stopped that. It also seems they've dropped the minimum/maximum length requirements for the initial knife forge.

#27 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostHigh Geek of Crawfish, on 10 September 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

I've tried to watch the new forging show 3 times now. I like Iron and Fire much more. Way better cast on it then MB.

Big Giant Swords was even better. http://www.discovery...g-giant-swords/ AND wiki - https://en.wikipedia...ig_Giant_Swords

I wonder if Discovery will ever bring that back.

This is his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....lcthulhu/videos

#28 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

View PostCheesewiz, on 11 January 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

This returns tonight.

My DVR recorded a new ep with all previous champions. Supposedly S3 Ep11. The final challenge, the pata, was quite involved. I guess I haven't seen Willow in decades because that weapon was used by someone in the movie and I would think I would've remembered a "sword" that distinctive.

After the episode, I looked at my wife and said, "Now imagine a velociraptor from Jurassic Park, only bigger, and instead of claws at the end of their forearms, they have one of those patas on each." Her eyes got real wide. I said, "Yeah, those exist in the Malazan World."

#29 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

View PostCheesewiz, on 13 January 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

It was prob my fav ep of the show. 2 of my fav champs going for it so I didn't care who won cause it was fun. That thing was wicked on that pig....

True, both of the finalists are excellent. I love that I learn a little something almost every episode about metals and/or techniques for working them. I'll probably never actually do it myself but I am fascinated by it.

#30 User is offline   champ 

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

I thought that too, it seemed like the guy who won lucked in to it.

Tehol said:

#31 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

I wonder if the finalists have a printed (or even email) list of requirements for the weapons to take home.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#32 User is offline   champ 

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

The moment he started bragging about finishing in 4 days, I just knew something was going to crop up...

Tehol said:

#33 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 February 2017 - 03:54 AM, said:

Good ? I wonder if they acknowledge that on the blu rays at all? You know they had to have told him when brought the fucking in it wasn't to specs I'd think but they still have to film the loss. No way it didn't escape notice till Doug went to test it....

I wonder if the produces knew from the early states based on the camera crew being at his home forge.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#34 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 February 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

I'm only just turning the ep on but I just really happy with the blade graphic they showed. That shit looked great! Ladder pattern. I hope these guys can deliver. Does anyone else look away from tv when they talk about what the blades will be tested on? I don't like catching a glimpse of Weapon as you can tell sometimes who Forged it as round 1 in progress and know they made it to round 2

I check something on my phone at that point.

Is it bad that I started googling beginner forges?

#35 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

Blacksmithing is quite fun, you can easily go to your local open forge if you want to try. I advise it for real!! You will tell inside that time if it's for you.

I started with forging blades and went general with it.. Now it's like repouse, armor making, and tool making among anything that comes to
Mind...

I'm taking a class with Matthew Parkinson (1st FIF champ) this weekend ! Learning pattern-welding steel this year...

http://www.dragonsbreathforge.com
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#36 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

I wonder how difficult it will be to find a forge around Bethlehem, PA. . .

#37 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:50 AM

View Postacesn8s, on 16 February 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

I wonder how difficult it will be to find a forge around Bethlehem, PA. . .

If your trying to find a forge? I would suggest making one.. Or alternatively you can buy them.

If you meant a open forge:

http://www.pabasite....t-calendar.html
https://m.facebook.com/PABlacksmiths/

Under hill forge looks like it runs out of your state i would be in on that..

Forged in fire has really inflated the prices of equipment, but on your side of the country it's usually not to expensive to pick up a anvil. Sadly, I don't think 100 years ago to many people thought forging in 100+ Degree heat was good times. I had to freight everything in.. (As a note fasenthal is awesome)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 17 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

#38 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Uh guys? Are you aware this returns tonight? Two new episodes are lined up. The second episode should be a lot of fun because the final challenge is Deer Horn Knives.

#39 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

Watched 2 random episodes last night based on this thread. Bit hit and miss based on the two I have seen.

Saw absolutely beautiful knives by two contestants in the first episode I watched. Saw knives I'd be embarrassed to own even if I got them for free in the second.

I am also by no means an expert in forging techniques but the contenlstants don't seem to be master smiths to me. On the one hand I don't fault them but on the other if you start with a giant rod of perfect modern day steel and just cut out a knife shape, heat it, Quench it and sharpen it your not exactly doing amazing work.

Will try a few more episodes. I'll try find the top rated episodes

#40 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

I think I'll watch the karabiner challenge next. I think these people are essentially small smiths who make knives. Swords are out of their comfort zones.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users