Malazan Empire: Mass Effect: Andromeda - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mass Effect: Andromeda (a.k.a Loki fangirl's out)

#21 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 June 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

Having to continously press the attack button was the stupidest design choice I've come across in some time.

Pretty sure they fixed the that with a patch, but yeah.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#22 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostLoki, on 23 June 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 23 June 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

Having to continously press the attack button was the stupidest design choice I've come across in some time.

Pretty sure they fixed the that with a patch, but yeah.

Yeah, I don't remember that being a thing and I had the game since release. They had autoattack as a toggleable option in DA:H but I don't remember it in Inky.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#23 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

Looks good. Hmmm....I just got a Kinect for my 360 so my 5 year old could play a Sesame Street game, if I recall; ME3 has Kinect integration. I might be time to play it again.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#24 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 June 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

I fired 3 back up. I'm in the final bit and I died so many times cause I forgot the controls.

He was only trying to save you from the ending.

#25 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Supposedly this is leaked from EA's Mass effect marketing survey

Spoiler

If this is true have they lost their mind? I hope all the Mass effect commandos are white

#26 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

RPS commenters are having a field day with this bit of news.

I really need to play the Mass effect games it's too bad EA and Bioware are obstinately making it hard for me to give them money.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostCause, on 30 March 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

Spoiler

If this is true have they lost their mind? I hope all the Mass effect commandos are white

I am not sure what your problem with the description is. Is it the Exodus/Invasion angle you disagree with? Obviously the actual story is going to be much more nuanced than just "Commander Christopher Columbus enslaves the Indian Aliens".

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

No. As far as I can tell they're distancing Andromeda from the older trilogy. Probably to encourage people who havent played the series before to pick this one up.

#29 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

View PostApt, on 30 March 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 30 March 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

Spoiler

I am not sure what your problem with the description is. Is it the Exodus/Invasion angle you disagree with? Obviously the actual story is going to be much more nuanced than just "Commander Christopher Columbus enslaves the Indian Aliens".

Yeah, it's probably the whole "entitled human colonists dealing with hostile indigenous aliens" bit of the marketing that puts people off. The other alternative I can imagine is humans stumbling onto an empire where alien species X is brutally enslaving species Y,Z,Q, and R, and the band of human colonists set about helping a secret resistance to overthrow the tyranny... Oh, wait, that's basically the plot of Robotech: Sentinels.

Other complaints I've heard include promises of a "seamless open-world galaxy" (either implausible, or likely to be executed so half-assedly so as to irritate everyone), and "lack of mentioning of the words "RPG"

#30 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

Regardless of the annoyance people have with it, I'm likely to buy this game...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#31 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:54 PM

I'm not Offended by it and I'm sure the story will be more nuanced than it currently sounds. That said lately video games are getting hammered from every side. Just this week blizzard pulled some art because of some complaints.

Leaving that writing as it is I don't doubt EA will get am earful very soon

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

View PostBriar King, on 31 March 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

I'm completely lost on what's rubbing you wrong with it. There's no racisim I see.

I'm guessing Cause is worried about the backlash from the politically correct/minority focused interest groups. Its a common complaint that in media, be it movies, books or games, that the white man is written as a the savior and hero.

The story will probably go in one of two directions, where either we arrive and help the "colored aliens" solve their problem despite having no anchor to their culture or vice versa, we invade, attack and pursue but some how the game still paints mankind (The white man) as the good guy even though we are the aggressor and the resistance (Terrorist Alien) is painted as savage and tyrannical.

#33 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

View PostCause, on 30 March 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

I'm not Offended by it and I'm sure the story will be more nuanced than it currently sounds. That said lately video games are getting hammered from every side. Just this week blizzard pulled some art because of some complaints.

All media has always been hammered from every side. We just hear of it now that twitter is the most popular way to intereact with them. Look at the letters to the editor in old newspapers, nothing of this is new.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#34 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

View PostApt, on 31 March 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

I'm completely lost on what's rubbing you wrong with it. There's no racisim I see.

I'm guessing Cause is worried about the backlash from the politically correct/minority focused interest groups. Its a common complaint that in media, be it movies, books or games, that the white man is written as a the savior and hero.

The story will probably go in one of two directions, where either we arrive and help the "colored aliens" solve their problem despite having no anchor to their culture or vice versa, we invade, attack and pursue but some how the game still paints mankind (The white man) as the good guy even though we are the aggressor and the resistance (Terrorist Alien) is painted as savage and tyrannical.

I'm sure the professional victims, those who get triggered by the slightest thing and the outrage team will have plenty to pick up on. A vast majority of them will have never, nor will they ever play a Mass Effect game...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#35 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 31 March 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 31 March 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

I'm sure the professional victims, those who get triggered by the slightest thing and the outrage team will have plenty to pick up on. A vast majority of them will have never, nor will they ever play a Mass Effect game...

I don't think I fit the definition of a "professional victim". Yet I'm somewhat annoyed by the possible "message", and I can certainly see the merit in the hackles raised attitude (esp. when you keep in mind that this is described as "marketing research material"- and AAA devs' marketing arms are already equated with a whole bunch of highly unpleasant anti-corporate epithets).
For a fairly large percentage of non-westerners, ANY mention of colonialism, imperialism, and related themes causes a reaction that's if not outright hostile is often wary. And too often with good reasons. So dismissing them outright as "professional victims" seems a bit... rash.

Oh, and for the record, I own the original ME and will likely play it at some point, but it's not a priority (me and Bioware don't often click.) I also have ME2 I grabbed in some Steam sale, but I dread trying to play that and jumping through a million hoops to pay money for "Bioware Points" to then buy the myriad of DLC. The day EA actually gets a brain and releases an Ultimate Edition (a la DA:O), I'll be on that in a heartbeat.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 01 April 2016 - 02:24 AM

#36 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Ment, I was not referring to you or anyone on this board. Sincere apologies if you felt that way.

And maybe it is because I am a white British male but I think getting upset about colonialism on a video game about space aliens just seems a bit absurd.

I get why people are pointing to the parallels, but I think there are more important things to get worked up about. I would say the same thing to the fat mysogynists who get annoyed that strong female computer game characters are a thing. It's like if this is the only thing you have in your life then you certainly are (dare I say it) privileged!

Edit: as for professional victims I was referring to the people who get personally offended at everything in an attempt to get... Something (money? Recognition? Attention?) I don't know the reasoning but there are a lot of them around...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 01 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#37 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

Leaked test footage.

http://vid.me/p41b

#38 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostCause, on 30 March 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I didn't get the fuss over the whole Tracer thing. The vocal area that complaint came from is also the one that advocates freeing the nipple. So I guess if you take black stripes away from one thing you gotta put them onto another.

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

Cinematic trailer was just released:

I think this is a bad trailer. It doesn't really tell you much. It's just a loose bunch of scenes strung together. The trailer doesn't manage to properly pitch the game or explain where we are or what we are doing there.

It's okay if we go by the info that has already been released or leaked but the trailer doesn't really work well without context.

EDIT: That said, I am totally going to fuck up that big space robot worm.

This post has been edited by Apt: 07 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

Ah, my above complaint is made moot by this extra video that sets-up the background story for the game.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users