Malazan Empire: Cricket World Cup 2015 - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cricket World Cup 2015 Am I the only person watching this?

#41 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostSombra, on 28 February 2015 - 12:34 AM, said:

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 27 February 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

de Villiers what a monster. Windies in danger of not making the knock out phase. How good would it be if neither the Windies or Pakistan made it through?

I'd rather see them go through than the Poms or India, but that would probably be the worst possible result from a financial perspective as 1.2 billion people would simply switch off.
Given that the current retarded format is all because of India (and Pakistan) getting knocked out early when they weren't given enough matches to remember how to play well in the 2007 4-team group stage system, if India are knocked out early again, they'll probably force the ICC to just give them a free pass to the semis next time round or refuse to play.

Though I'd still prefer India to win again than Australia - which is why I've just perked up having seen the result of the Aus-NZ game.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#42 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

That shit stings. Nothing less than absolutely humiliating all opposition for the rest of the WC will suffice now. :crybaby:

Fuck sportsmanship, I want blood. :veryangry:

This post has been edited by Sombra: 28 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#43 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 20 February 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

We're going to do to you what we just did to England :crybaby:

Well I was close, it was more like what we did to Scotland lol

View PostSombra, on 28 February 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

Oh for fucks sake! after being 1-80 we lose 8-26??? OK the Kiwis are pretty good these days, but they aren't THAT good. Our guys panicked, plain and simple. Started off again by that dickhead Watson, but the other batsmen must take their share of the blame.

For Mitchell Starc to almost win it for us is the only satisfaction from this game. Note to NZ: you only had 152 to chase and you nearly blew it. Think on that for a while. It shows our bowlers can defend almost any target. If we had posted anything more competitive I'll go a little further and say we would have won.

But congrats to NZ. Once again in a co-hosted WC you had the home game against us (ummm ... shouldn't then it have been OUR turn to host the game?) and you won.

The coach should express his disgust at our batsmen and send them back to their rooms, and then have a few beers with the bowlers. Although Mitchell Johnson was a bit shit and Pat Cummins should have bowled an over of yorkers to Williamson. What kind of idiot bowls just short of a length at the in-form batsman who is going to swing for anything?

:veryangry:

Some pretty poor batting all around really, while the bowling was good none of it was really THAT good. If there had been a more competitive total we would have batted differently. How many times has Haddin saved your asses? I just thank god we have one real batsman in the team.

View PostAndorion, on 28 February 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

New Zealand beat Australia!!Posted Image

New Zealand beat Australia by the skin of their teeth after making a dog's breakfast of a 151 run chasePosted Image

How do they expect to be taken as serious contenders after batting like this? Especially with AB demon Villiers showing everybody that the India match was just bad luck?Posted Image

Different situations play out differently, If we had been chasing 400 or batting first we would have done it way different. We seem to have a knack at the moment for always doing enough to win, even if it is only just.

#44 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostAndorion, on 28 February 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

How do they expect to be taken as serious contenders after batting like this? Especially with AB demon Villiers showing everybody that the India match was just bad luck?Posted Image
Recall that last world cup SA were definitely stronger on paper but crumpled in the quarters to a much less intimidating NZ side. Unless Saffer psychology has undergone a major upgrade, I still lack confidence in them in the knockout stage.

Decent BBC articel on why cutting the associates for the next torunament is a terrible idea with all the wrong motivations (clue: the problems with the current format have nothing to do with the associates and everything to do with commerciality [as well as the Big Three Cabal]): http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/31656135

EDIT: The UAE aren't currently making much of a case for the associates. But I think this is a seriously retrograde step by the ICC. It would be equivalent to, say, FIFA deciding after Zaire's shambolic performance at the 1974 World Cup to just cut Africa's automatic single place for the next tournament (and thus have a chance of the continent with the single biggest developing market for football not have a team in the next tournament).

This post has been edited by D'iversify: 28 February 2015 - 08:25 AM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#45 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

Looks like England vs. Bangladesh might now be a key game re: reaching quarters. Banglas definite underdogs but did beat England last World Cup.

Pakistan look a shadow of their semi-final making side of 4 years ago. I don't think its the bowling that's the issue, despite the bans for Riaz et al and Ajmal's problems with his action; what they really need is for a couple of more consistent batsmen to back up old guardsmen like Misbah.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#46 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

Scotland out, despite a decent batting performance. England-Banglas now looks key to determining fourth place finish.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#47 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

Australia did as expected against Afghanistan, but the media are going on about it like it was some sort of amazing achievement. :D

Go Bangladesh is all I can say in regards to their England match. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#48 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

Wow! Proteas stumbled in a small-ish run chase against Pakistan!

I thought it would be a bit too early for them to start choking.

#49 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

With Pakistan winning, Ireland-Pakistan now the crunch game for fourth place by the looks of things (based on Ireland hanging on against Zim. EDIT: which they have just done by the skin of their teeth).

This post has been edited by D'iversify: 07 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#50 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

Australia posted 376 against Sri Lanka. You would have thought with our bowlers it was game over from there.

But no, some of our bowlers decided to serve up some absolute shit instead of bowling to the plan and as a result, SL need about 100 from 55 to win with 6 wickets in hand. A pretty easy 20/20 target you would think.

I got so angry I switched the TV off.

One day bowling isn't that hard for a modern professional. You keep it to the off side or at worst directly at off stump. You have protection square and behind if you're pitching it short, and long if you're pitching it right up. If you keep bowling yorkers at the base of off stump, there's fuck-all any batting team can do except their best just to keep the ball from hitting the stumps of getting out LBW. NOT. FUCKING. DIFFICULT. Malinga does it in his sleep.

If Australia win from here I will be very surprised. Grateful for sure - but very surprised.

:D

EDIT: thank fuck for a late order collapse after Chandimal retired hurt. At least Mitchell Starc can bowl straight. Australia win by 64 but can consider themselves fucking lucky. Congrats to Sangakkara for being the first batsman in ODI CWC history to hit 3 centuries in a row.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 09 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

#51 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

Congrats to Bangladesh, holding on to beat the Poms in a thriller. Joss Buttler was the only player that gave England any hope.

England are now out of the CWC.

By the way, what IS it with poor old Eoin Morgan? The guy simply cannot buy a run at the moment. I dare say his head will be on the chopping block as the ECB try to cover their silly endemic selection policy gaffes with a scapegoat.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 09 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

#52 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostSombra, on 09 March 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

Congrats to Bangladesh, holding on to beat the Poms in a thriller. Joss Buttler was the only player that gave England any hope.

England are now out of the CWC.
Yeah, I thought they were bad in their three previous games against Test sides, but not that bad. I mean Bangladesh aren't to be underestimated but 275 isn't a difficult total these days, and its not as if the conditions were difficult for the batting side. Bell's throwing it away when the game was all but won screamed "choke".
I am the Onyx Wizards

#53 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

Na na na na
Na na na na
Hey hey
Goodbye England

New Zealand and India definitely the in form teams so far with both going 5 from 5. South Africa and Australia both looking pretty up and down while Sri Lanka are looking steady but not quite good enough. With all qualifiers from pool A now decided, pool B is shaping up for a tight finish with 3 teams fighting it out for the last 2 spots. Unless UAE can pull off a miracle and beat the West Indies, the final match of the pool stages between Ireland and Pakistan will fittingly determine the last team to go through with the winner advancing and the loser going home. Of course, if either game is abandoned due to rain or ends in a draw, then the Windies are going home. Wow what an exciting World Cup, can't wait till the knockout rounds!

On a side note, did anybody else see the results of the poll for which 2 teams out of West Indies, Pakistan and Ireland would go through? 40 something % said Ire/Pak would go through. How the hell can most people have voted this way when it seems the least likely outcome? I am truly baffled.

#54 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 11 March 2015 - 04:48 AM, said:

On a side note, did anybody else see the results of the poll for which 2 teams out of West Indies, Pakistan and Ireland would go through? 40 something % said Ire/Pak would go through. How the hell can most people have voted this way when it seems the least likely outcome? I am truly baffled.
Maybe they know something we don't and are betting on a draw. Ever heard of the 'Anschluss' game in FIFA World Cup '82? http://en.wikipedia....e_of_Gij%C3%B3n
I am the Onyx Wizards

#55 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:30 AM

View PostD, on 11 March 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 11 March 2015 - 04:48 AM, said:

Maybe they know something we don't and are betting on a draw. Ever heard of the 'Anschluss' game in FIFA World Cup '82? http://en.wikipedia....e_of_Gij%C3%B3n

Well as long as Ireland go through I'll be happy. They definitely deserve it more, and it would be better for the game as a whole.

#56 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

Wow, England finally managed a convincing win.

Over Afghanistan. Under Duckworth-Lewis rules. :sofa:

I note the Kiwis had a less-than-convincing 3 wicket win over Bangladesh to keep their group stage record at 100%. It would have been so worth it if the Tigers won.

#57 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:04 PM

Oh dear oh dear ...

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.news.com....n-1227262043945

Cricket World Cup: England fans feel pain of arriving for quarter-finals their team won’t be in
12 HOURS AGO MARCH 13, 2015 10:00PM

WHEN England fans Stuart Ferguson and Tony Deane began planning a trip to Australia for the Cricket World Cup over a year ago, they crunched data Peter Moores-style.
“We thought dead-cert quarter-finals,” Ferguson explained. “So we booked tickets.”
The World Cup rolled around and though England were wobbling through it, Ferguson and his uncle confidently boarded a flight on Monday with their boys needing to just clear one last hurdle: Bangladesh.
“We found out mid-air,” Ferguson sighed.
“On the plane we got updates every 10 minutes on the screens. We were two or three hours out of Dubai ... so yeah, bitterly disappointed, obviously. They fell short.”
Bangladesh’s famous upset saw Ferguson and Deane arrive in Sydney this week armed with tickets to two quarter-finals in which England could have been playing, but won’t be.
The stoic — and still smiling — northerners had to make do with their only glimpse of England at a wet SCG n Friday, when the world’s most pilloried cricketing “minnows” took on Afghanistan.
“It’s a bit of a damp squib. We kind of don’t mind if they lose because then at least the coach would go,” Ferguson said.

Heaving masses of white usually follow English cricketers everywhere but after their woeful World Cup, the cross of St George was easily outnumbered by the wildly swung Afghan flag by a factor of 50.
One lone soldier still flying the flag for England in bay 14 was pith-helmet-wearing expat Geoff Croshaw, who said the saddest part about England’s pre-finals exit wasn’t the ribbing from Aussie workmates.
It was the absence of ribbing that hurt way more. If there is one thing more painful than derision from an arch-rival, it’s sympathy.
“Do you know what’s really interesting? There’s actually not been much reaction, because it was almost expected. They haven’t been giving me much, because it’s kind of what they thought would happen,” Croshaw said. “It’s crazy really.”
Sitting among funereally quiet English fans, expat Richie Coljzak said his Aussie friends hadn’t been quite as compassionate but another group had outdone them.
“My Irish mates have been the worst,” Coljzak said. “They’re saying we’re still going strong and you clowns are off home.”
With the Three Lions tattooed on one biceps and the English rose on the other, Colzjak’s colours are painted on and he said he’ll remain a loyal fan of English cricket, despite the humiliation of the past six weeks.
“I’m sticking behind the guys,” he said.
“Listen, Aussies keep using the wrong bait. Being English, we are used to losing. We’re good at losing. It’s the winning that confuses us.”
Croshaw is taking out what small positives he can.
Beating Scotland in anything is crucial, he said, and if things don’t improve in English cricket with the Ashes around the corner, Croshaw says they can “cherry-pick” from their neighbours.
“The best thing is, right, if the Irish do any better, we will just go and knick some more of their players,” he said.
Maybe Ireland will poach the good English players instead, you ask?
“Well, yeah, good point,” Croshaw reflected.
“Eion Morgan might go back to try and win a few games.”

This post has been edited by Sombra: 13 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

#58 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:33 AM

Poor old England, the new whipping boys of ICC full member nations.

As for New Zealand, what a wonderfully constructed innings. It was like we gave our wickets away at just the right times to give our boys some practice at the stages of an innings where we will need them most, with just enough pressure to prepare them for the knock out rounds. Never had any doubts about us triumphing once again, although the edge of my seat may claim otherwise. And my heart was definitely in my throat for that six from Dantastic Vettori.

Unless Zimbabwe can pull off a massive upset today, We are going to have two unbeaten teams going through, very interesting and surely a rare occurrence?

#59 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:22 AM

I really want New Zealand to win this time. It would be a slap in the face of all the money rolling around. As for England, this reminds me of the 5-0 Ashes whitewash.

#60 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

Well, Australia spanked Scotland (no thanks to the weather) to finish 2nd in the group, so let's see what happens from here.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users