Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#821 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:24 PM

PP will win with Queen Romana as Deputy Prime Minister in 2025.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#822 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:30 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 12 September 2022 - 07:24 PM, said:

PP will win with Queen Romana as Deputy Prime Minister in 2025.

Nah, she was ideologically birthed in your country (Qanon), so we should ship her back there for you lot to deal with. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#823 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 14 September 2022 - 01:56 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 September 2022 - 06:11 PM, said:

I doubt PP has the credibility to pull it off, but stealing support from the Bloc wouldn't be very hard w the right messaging.

Trudeau is more likely to want to be the guy who stepped aside for Canada's first elected female PM than lead another minority gov, but I can't quite agree it's a lock for him to step aside.

On the one hand with enough vote splitting the Cons could win in a general election.

At the same time, I feel PP would mobilize the rest of the country to vote against him.

#824 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2022 - 12:25 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 September 2022 - 01:56 AM, said:

I doubt PP has the credibility to pull it off, but stealing support from the Bloc wouldn't be very hard w the right messaging.

Trudeau is more likely to want to be the guy who stepped aside for Canada's first elected female PM than lead another minority gov, but I can't quite agree it's a lock for him to step aside.

On the one hand with enough vote splitting the Cons could win in a general election.

At the same time, I feel PP would mobilize the rest of the country to vote against him.

And he has 2 further years to solidify the opposition to vote against him by acting pretty much like he's always acted.

Hell, this guy has been a politician, on our taxpayer dime, since he was 25 years old...and even back then people like Rick Mercer frequently ripped him a new asshole for saying and doing asinine shit.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#825 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2022 - 12:43 PM

Well Trudeau made Monday a Federal holiday, but the rest of it was up to the provinces and of course Douggie (who likely got a slew of panicked calls from his corporate and business lobbies) has decided that no, we do not get the day off. Our license plates say "Ontario, open for business" FFS.

I wish I was surprised. And if this happened BEFORE the most recent election, he 1000% would have given it off too, you just know it.

Anyways, the real point here is this:

If we're going to go through the charade of having a governor general, the queen/king on our money, laws needing royal ascent, and covering security costs for when they visit...then the taxpayers deserve the charade of a day off to mourn.

Otherwise let's do away with this nonsense and maybe save a couple bucks on our taxes.

Fucks sake.

#826 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2022 - 01:02 PM

Oh and for funsies, here's Angry Milhouse having his "Ben Shapiro VS Andrew Neil" stupidity moment on live TV.

https://www.ipolitic...news-conference

For reference the guy who spoke up is David Akin a DEEPLY Conservative writer (who has written for most of the right wing newspapers and quite often rips at Trudeau and the Liberals)...so PP calling him a "liberal heckler" is about as much proof as you need that PP will call you "the enemy" for daring to question him on any topic...

#827 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 18 September 2022 - 02:08 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 September 2022 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 September 2022 - 01:56 AM, said:

And he has 2 further years to solidify the opposition to vote against him by acting pretty much like he's always acted.

Hell, this guy has been a politician, on our taxpayer dime, since he was 25 years old...and even back then people like Rick Mercer frequently ripped him a new asshole for saying and doing asinine shit.

holy shit this is gold.

#828 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 September 2022 - 06:17 PM

The sad part in no matter how far into far right territory PP takes the Conservatives, there is still a substantial contingent that will follow them simply because there's no one else on that side of the field to follow.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#829 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 October 2022 - 02:00 PM

Wholly expected CAQ victory in Quebec. No major surprises, a few minor ones...
Montreal remains a blue Liberal island in a sea of CAQ (heehee see what i did there?) with spots of Solidaire in a few high immigrant pop. areas. The Solidaire's 11 seats is interesting to me because their entire platform came across as 'we're all about Quebec just not as racist as those other guys', i expected them to do slightly better, esp after CAQ effectively putting Anglophones and immigrants on notice they are not their friends.
The PQ are decimated even further... three seats. Given CAQ's scary effective assimilation of the separatiste agenda, i'm surprised they managed even that many. No surprise at all is the Quebec Conservative party with a heaping 0... making anti masking their main platform was never going to overcome the name association or chip away at any of the others.
Interesting days ahead in my other province.

#830 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 October 2022 - 02:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 June 2022 - 02:23 PM, said:

... Naturally Horvath has already announced her retirement from leadership. Del Duca lost his seat AND leadership... the only way those two could have been more sacrificial would have involved obsidian knives and ritual chanting. It was obvious to anyone watching with half a sober brain that the only way they could win was to pull together and that was never going to happen...

Amusing coda to this: both ejected leaders won mayor'ships in recent city elections. Amazing.

#831 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2022 - 02:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 31 October 2022 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 03 June 2022 - 02:23 PM, said:

... Naturally Horvath has already announced her retirement from leadership. Del Duca lost his seat AND leadership... the only way those two could have been more sacrificial would have involved obsidian knives and ritual chanting. It was obvious to anyone watching with half a sober brain that the only way they could win was to pull together and that was never going to happen...

Amusing coda to this: both ejected leaders won mayor'ships in recent city elections. Amazing.

It just shows you the "politics-money" teat is hard to let go of.

Oh, and the main place my wife and I are looking to buy a house is in DelDuca's new domain....so that's fun. SIGH.

#832 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 October 2022 - 03:03 PM

A Lib MPP failure in my riding has now become a fixture in the City Council for this Ward... Career politicians are annoying.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#833 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2022 - 03:15 PM

View PostMentalist, on 31 October 2022 - 03:03 PM, said:

Career politicians are annoying.

*Pierre Pollievre has entered chat*

Seriously. That MFer has never had a normal job. He became a politicians' aide as like a 19 year old, or something and got a lifetime political pension by like age 30 or something. Fucking career politicians are CANCEROUS. Leeching off that paycheque.

#834 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 November 2022 - 01:31 PM

Doug Ford VS everyone seems to be in the offing in Ontario.

Get this, he and his education minister lackey Stephen Lecce didn't bargain in good faith with the CUPE union (education sector, but not teachers, think Janitors, ECEs, EAs, ect.) and have refused their ask of a raise that aligns with inflation and the fact that they've gotten pittances since 2012.

And now they are threatening to use the NWC (The Notwithstanding Clause; which allows Parliament or provincial legislatures to temporarily override sections 2 and 7–15 of the Charter.....so trampling rights to achieve a goal), to force a 4-year contract onto union workers without bargaining process and a contract that even goes so far as to remove their pensions.

Most other education unions are joining in solidarity, and the public is squarely and mad about this....I personally think the province WILDLY misjudged their feeling that the public would see the Unions as evil and grasping and instead see the govt as the bad guy here.

Gonna be a shitshow Friday for the walkout, and I'll be at Queen Park to protest in solidarity. I have 2 school age kids that we've had to make other arrangements for while schools are closed, but fuck me, letting Ford and Lecce trample human rights to force unionized workers to do what they want....means that NO Unions anywhere are safe. Let no one feel any other way, CUPE is the sacrificial lamb to let Ford and the OPCs don whatever they want whenever they want.

Also, trying to paint 11% over 4 years as a huge ask from CUPE....that's $3.25 total/hour over 4 years. After 10 years where they got 0% for the first 5 years, and between .5% and 1% in the other years. This BARELY brings them up to inflation....FFS is this less than the boost of the minimum wage to $15/hr jump that occurred.

EDIT: Oh, and they just got done sending out $200-$250 to parents of kids so they could hire private tutors to catch them up from COVID slowdowns....so yeah, that cost taxpayers 400million....and it's a bribe (and a pittance, even if I wanted to hire a tutor, $200 ain't gonna cover it).....but what's worse....HALF of that is what CUPE is asking for. Fucking HALF of the bribe they sent out to parents would solve the problem in full.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 November 2022 - 01:55 PM

#835 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 November 2022 - 01:59 PM

That's interesting but not shocking (from down here), so glad you're gonna get out there, and the reaction is what it is. In the U.S., the billionaire project to undermine public education is in a very real sense successful (before we even mention unions). It's extremely depressing, but you better believe your conservatives are more than happy to import our propaganda and other strategies. Let's hope it stays resisted long haul.

#836 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 November 2022 - 02:14 PM

View Postworry, on 03 November 2022 - 01:59 PM, said:

but you better believe your conservatives are more than happy to import our propaganda and other strategies. Let's hope it stays resisted long haul.

They very much are, Doug Ford chief among them. He and his dead brother both realized that they could fleece the "working class" with populist shit (even though they were born into wealth) a long time ago...and it drives me nuts how many fell for it.

I also benefit from living not far from the Legislature, so it only makes sense to go out and show my support.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 November 2022 - 02:29 PM

#837 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 November 2022 - 07:59 AM

It's been over a decade since i took constitutional law, but I'm fairly sure they need to demonstrate it's in the public interest to evoke it, if they are challenged (as they will be). And there's a snowball's chance in hell that use would hold up in courts, since the basic premise behind the Labor Relations Act is "Unions are good, and we, the Province, encourage more of them to be formed", so trying to argue against collective bargaining is a pretty bold stratagem.

And by bold I obviously mean hopelessly moronic.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 06 November 2022 - 08:00 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#838 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2022 - 03:42 PM

The fact that the transit union is striking Monday too is going to make things even worse for the govt. at this point if a third non-education union decides to strike, that’s as close to a General Strike as we will need for ford to back off. It’s untenable to have school, AND transit (Go, metrolinx) down…and polls already lean heavily in favor of the unions.

#839 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 November 2022 - 10:03 PM

I was skeptical about the theory that runs that this is all part of a bazillionaire driven conservative agenda to remove quality from education (also health care, public transit) to prompt more privatization. It didn't seem like a scam that could fly in Canada but Alberta's health care mess and Quebec's developing two-tier system has me thinking.

Also driving me nuts is everyone who thinks this is teachers. Way to not pay attention.

#840 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 November 2022 - 04:03 AM

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users