Malazan Empire: Canadian Politics - Malazan Empire

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Canadian Politics American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#801 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 May 2022 - 09:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2022 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2022 - 06:12 PM, said:

"Conservatives told not to comment on U.S. Supreme Court abortion rights leak"

Yeah, that's ok, we already knew where they stood.

Indeed.

If they thought they could touch it and that the parliamentary multi-party system would not utterly destroy them...they would 100% touch it. But they won't. Because most of them are smart enough to know it won't work here. Oosterhoff is spouting off (that cancerous POS needs to go away), but even PP is not touching it with a ten foot pole beyond lip service to aim himself at the Con leadership.

The good news is that our Charter protects women much better than the vagaries of the US Constitution, as violations of Section 7 are pretty sacrosanct...so turning our Supreme Court decision over would require FAR more than any Conservative govt would be willing to risk, and far more clout than they'd ever have to figure out how to loophole around Section 7.

Agreed it would be very very difficult to pull this off in Canada.
I just wish i could say 'impossible'.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#802 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 May 2022 - 02:15 AM

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2022 - 09:22 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2022 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2022 - 06:12 PM, said:

"Conservatives told not to comment on U.S. Supreme Court abortion rights leak"

Yeah, that's ok, we already knew where they stood.

Indeed.

If they thought they could touch it and that the parliamentary multi-party system would not utterly destroy them...they would 100% touch it. But they won't. Because most of them are smart enough to know it won't work here. Oosterhoff is spouting off (that cancerous POS needs to go away), but even PP is not touching it with a ten foot pole beyond lip service to aim himself at the Con leadership.

The good news is that our Charter protects women much better than the vagaries of the US Constitution, as violations of Section 7 are pretty sacrosanct...so turning our Supreme Court decision over would require FAR more than any Conservative govt would be willing to risk, and far more clout than they'd ever have to figure out how to loophole around Section 7.

Agreed it would be very very difficult to pull this off in Canada.
I just wish i could say 'impossible'.

I mean as d'rek pointed out to me earlier, they don't need to directly challenge it to do damage. They just need to make it harder to get an abortion and damage is done.

Also ontario has an election announced.

I sincerely hope this means come june we are done with ford.

#803 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 04 May 2022 - 12:26 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 04 May 2022 - 02:15 AM, said:

I sincerely hope this means come june we are done with ford.

As much as I'd like to see it, I have a feeling you're in for disappointment. The pessimist in me says Ford gets in again.

It could be worse, in Toronto for lack of even a warm body to go up against John Tory...the man who said he'd only run two terms is running for a 3rd largely unopposed...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#804 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 May 2022 - 04:20 PM

Just my $0.02 cnd....
Ford's performance thru the pandemic has been juuuuust good enough that unless one of the other leaders comes absolutely surging forward with a popular platform and a level of charisma we're unlikely to see, i wouldn't bet big $ against him unless he gets caught doing something nefarious or gross between now and election day. The highway thing won't be enough. Del Duca is a career politician and his platform looks social services spending heavy... i think it's good but not good enough to sway the undecideds - everyone loves the idea of fixing schools and keeping seniors at home, not everyone has kids and/or dependant elders - unless he can majorly raise his game. Horwath... the NDP have definitely seen an increase since the last election, but i suspect thats more from the Liberal's loss than anything to do w her leadership. This may be a battle for second place. Just guessing, i could be wrong.

#805 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 04 May 2022 - 04:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2022 - 04:20 PM, said:

Just my $0.02 cnd....
Ford's performance thru the pandemic has been juuuuust good enough that unless one of the other leaders comes absolutely surging forward with a popular platform and a level of charisma we're unlikely to see, i wouldn't bet big $ against him unless he gets caught doing something nefarious or gross between now and election day. The highway thing won't be enough. Del Duca is a career politician and his platform looks social services spending heavy... i think it's good but not good enough to sway the undecideds - everyone loves the idea of fixing schools and keeping seniors at home, not everyone has kids and/or dependant elders - unless he can majorly raise his game. Horwath... the NDP have definitely seen an increase since the last election, but i suspect thats more from the Liberal's loss than anything to do w her leadership. This may be a battle for second place. Just guessing, i could be wrong.

I think this is accurate. Sadly.

Also as an NDP supporter....Horwath should have stepped down as leader since the last election. No offence to her, but she's had multiple kicks at the can and say what you will but fresh blood leadership for the ONDP would go a LONG way to helping their chances....and I'm a little annoyed she's not stepped aside yet.

I also think it's no contest that the next ONDP leader should be Bhutila Karpoche. An elegant speaker, and a compelling voice for change.

But what do I know?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#806 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 May 2022 - 06:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 May 2022 - 04:52 PM, said:

Just my $0.02 cnd....

Also as an NDP supporter....Horwath should have stepped down as leader since the last election. No offence to her, but she's had multiple kicks at the can and say what you will but fresh blood leadership for the ONDP would go a LONG way to helping their chances....and I'm a little annoyed she's not stepped aside yet.

I also think it's no contest that the next ONDP leader should be Bhutila Karpoche. An elegant speaker, and a compelling voice for change.

But what do I know?

I suspect Horwath sees this as her last shot at the premiere job, the Liberals are still at low ebb with an unproven leader, and Ford is as disliked as he's likely to get (which, amazingly, is not very). She won't miss it barring a complete revolution in the NDP ranks that would likely decrease public support from voters they took from the Libs or undecideds.

#807 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2022 - 06:14 PM, said:

Just my $0.02 cnd....

But what do I know?

I suspect Horwath sees this as her last shot at the premiere job, the Liberals are still at low ebb with an unproven leader, and Ford is as disliked as he's likely to get (which, amazingly, is not very). She won't miss it barring a complete revolution in the NDP ranks that would likely decrease public support from voters they took from the Libs or undecideds.

Well if she doesn't make it this time (and she won't. Like she has zero chance), she needs to step the hell down already. She lost a 'gimme' election in which the other parties had a much disliked Kathleen Wynne, and a no-platform failed label salesman...

#808 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 May 2022 - 03:34 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 May 2022 - 07:25 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2022 - 06:14 PM, said:

Just my $0.02 cnd....

But what do I know?

Well if she doesn't make it this time (and she won't. Like she has zero chance), she needs to step the hell down already. She lost a 'gimme' election in which the other parties had a much disliked Kathleen Wynne, and a no-platform failed label salesman...

Yah, i suspect it's a situation where the party prefers she lose and then hand it off to a new leader, rather than put the new leader in for a loss right at the start of their ascension. The time to replace her was six months ago, it's telling that they didn't.

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users