• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apsalar's super strength

#1 User is offline   Whiskey Mike 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

A part that really stands out for me(when she is saving Quick Ben) is when she kicks one of the hounds in the head and it goes flying against the wall and bricks go everywhere..I get that she was possessed by cotilion and possesses the assassin skills and all that but the strength it would take to actually send a hound of shadow or Deragoth whirling through the air from a kick seems a little overpowering. any ideas where this karsa like strength comes from? or did I miss read it?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

You could argue that she used the hounds momentum to send it crashing through the wall by angling the kick maybe. Or that she was using shadow dance mojo to infuse her kick with extra strength.

In reality it's probably easier to just conclude that you don't want to start a fist fight with an Ascendant.

Think of Dassem Ultor throwing a soldier like a Horseshoe in NoK. Think of Gessler breaking his hand when he punched Coltaine on the nose in DG. And these people were only on the cusp of ascending.

Apsalar is a carbon copy of a God of Killing Things, she will fuck you up.

EDIT: The problem with this logic however is that if Ascendant super strength is real, then no mortal fighter should be able to block a strike with a sword from an Ascendant since their swing would be brutal.

Better to just accept that the rule of cool is in effect.

This post has been edited by Apt: 17 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

#3 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

To sum up: she has supernatural power and precision.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:07 AM

View PostApt, on 17 December 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Apsalar is a carbon copy of a God of Killing Things, she will fuck you up.

Oh nicely phrased!

EDIT: The problem with this logic however is that if Ascendant super strength is real, then no mortal fighter should be able to block a strike with a sword from an Ascendant

Name one who has. (Seguleh don't count and Kallor isn't a true ascendant. )
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

Good point. Thinking about it the only one who really comes to mind is Trull versus Icarium and you know who in a later book. Icarium isn't an ascendant but he is super strong.

I guess you could argue that Trull was getting mojo from the role he was playing.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostApt, on 18 December 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Good point. Thinking about it the only one who really comes to mind is Trull versus Icarium and you know who in a later book. Icarium isn't an ascendant but he is super strong.

I guess you could argue that Trull was getting mojo from the role he was playing.

Trull is already aspected at that point, possibly even ascending.

I'd argue Icarium is an ascendent, albeit it's a different kind of ascension, but however we intepret him, he's far from baseline Jhag.

I'll cheerfully repent if someone quote fus me, but i'm fairly sure that as of the end of TB (NoK included), no human has gone blade to blade against an ascendent and not had their asses kicked.
We've seen some variations... the Marines taking down Karsa in HoC comes to mind.

There are some examples in later books where things get more interesting, but i won't spoil.

#7 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

Why do Seguleh get a pass? They're mortals still.

This post has been edited by BellaGrace: 18 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#8 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

That's an assumption.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostBellaGrace, on 18 December 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Why do Seguleh get a pass? They're mortals still.

View Postworry, on 18 December 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

That's an assumption.

Restricting to what we know of the Seguleh as of the end of TB.... (this is the TB subforum people... remember that....)

Mok in MoI was strong enough to behead a Kell Hunter, go toe to toe with an Imass First Sword, and sensed how Envy's Poliel invokation was affecting Garath when Envy herself didn't.

The Soldier of Death's chat with Cutter suggests thr Seguleh's origins are mixed in with Darujhistan and the Tyrants.

That all strongly suggests there's more going on with the Seguleh than simply a mortal isolationist warrior cult.

#10 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

Don't worry, I'm absolutely aware it's the TBH subforum.

It's an assumption that the best Seguleh aren't ascendants and it's an assumption about how supernatural powers work in general (on a binary of ascendance/mortal...in fact I believe by this point we can say there's at least one spectrum, likely multiple). Is Chun Li an ascendant because when she kicks really fast her feet catch fire? I doubt it. She's channeling the supernatural through a skill she's mastered. In this particular fantasy world there's no reason to believe that a monastic obsession with swordplay doesn't tap into the supernatural, and plenty of reason to believe it does.

#11 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:26 PM

View Postworry, on 18 December 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

monastic obsession

My new metal band.

All that ascendant stuff aside -though not to diminish it in any way - I think Apt was more right when he said she used the hound's momentum against him + the rule of cool. The real point is that even though it stands out to OP, not many seem to be bothered by it and based on the context of the world in which the story takes place, its entirely believable that she's capable of such a feat.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#12 User is offline   Whiskey Mike 

• Recruit

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

At what point do you see her ascend...is it just because she was possessed or was there another instance where you specifically she her ascend. I just assumed she was a possessed mortal who retained some of cotilions thoughts and abilities.

#13 User is offline   Whiskey Mike 

• Recruit

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

If you go back to that seen there is no momentum...she kicks it in the head and it goes head over heels and smashes in a wall sending bricks flying...maybe someone can quote the scene...I just remember saying to myself holy shit she just sent something the size of a horse flying with a kick to head...kind of puts her strength on part with Karsa!

#14 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

I'm not sure she's a capital-A Ascendant, but she has certainly ascended somewhat due to her contact with Cotillion. If Karsa is 1000 feet in the air, and Apsalar is 50 feet in the air, they've both ascended. It doesn't make them equals, it just means they've both transcended the natural state.

#15 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

Another way to think of Ascendancy is like a battery, some Ascendants, like Rake have a very large battery and can do some awesome things like flex all Dragon at times. Some people, like Paran do not have a large battery at first but they can pull off a few things that need to happen. Over time that battery gets larger and larger and next thing you know you can do amazing things. Apsalar has been possessed by a God, that left her an array of abilities and powers that she didn't understand, but as she comes to learn them and what they mean, well, let's just say the battery gets bigger.

I think what you're talking about is the application of power, that application of power can be anything from Kimloc's song to Karsa's flint blade, but in the end it is all just an application of power and that can be expressed in different ways at different times, perhaps that is the key to ascendancy...

I think that her strength varies due to whether she applies her power to it, after all, being super strong has got to be hell when you're trying to pick up a fork and eat with it and you keep snapping it into pieces.

#16 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:13 AM

I think that her strength varies due to whether she applies her power to it, after all, being super strong has got to be hell when you're trying to pick up a fork and eat with it and you keep snapping it into pieces.

Unless you're Karsa in which case you can eat the meat, bone and fork at the same time.Posted Image

But joking aside I rather like your battery theory. Makes sense.

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

Lets not descend into a who'd win debate but going by what we've seen Apsalar and Cots do, Apsalar would probably destroy Karsa in close combat.

Apsalar is every bit as powerful as Cotillion and Cots is an ascendant with a capital A.

This post has been edited by Apt: 19 December 2014 - 07:46 AM

#18 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostApt, on 19 December 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Lets not descend into a who'd win debate but going by what we've seen Apsalar and Cots do, Apsalar would probably destroy Karsa in close combat.

Apsalar is every bit as powerful as Cotillion and Cots is an ascendant with a capital A.

Would it? Shadow magic would be nullified. Leaving her bladed weapons, speed and strength vs Karsas flint sword, strength and endurance. Going by the amount of damage Karsa can take it would be one hell of a fight, but if he managed to land one solid hit it would be devastating.

#19 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

She walked the Path of Hands and decimated countless Claws in a single night. Even Shadowthrone himself said "not even Cotillion..." or something to that effect. Unparalleled. But still could die from a single sword thrust.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostAndorion, on 19 December 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 19 December 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Would it? Shadow magic would be nullified. Leaving her bladed weapons, speed and strength vs Karsas flint sword, strength and endurance. Going by the amount of damage Karsa can take it would be one hell of a fight, but if he managed to land one solid hit it would be devastating.

The thing about Cotillion, who is the one we are really discussing here, is that he doesn't brawl. He kills. Apsalar would use her 100's of years of experience and supernatural speed to finish the fight before it begins. Karsa's tough but he can still be killed with precision strikes. Arterial openings and severed tendons would be what you'd expect from her.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users