Malazan Empire: Tad Williams - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tad Williams Williams Tad

#21 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostMaark, on 11 December 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

All good - I cut my teeth on Feist, Eddings and Brooks.

*edit - Evans? Dafuk is Evans? Eddings. Doip.

Evans would work if you were referring to Lawrence Watt-Evans.

http://www.watt-evans.com/
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostMaark, on 10 December 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

But he's not an Ogier, I take it.

It's all ogre.

Also, Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

...i so wish i didn't know that.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

Threadsurrected for some new info about the new series LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD...which officially starts with THE WITCHWOOD CROWN in probably Spring 2017...but there is another smaller book that tells a tale that occurs soon after TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER (a fair amount of years before WITCHWOOD takes place) called THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST...and here is some info about it from Tad himself (Spoilers for all of MS&T obviously):

"The original title was “Heart of Regret”, and I still lean toward that, although Deborah is worried that it’s too much of a downer and would rather have something about the Battle of Nakkiga in the title. (The Heart […] is a symbolic jewel belonging to an important Norn character, but the words also say much about the nature of the story and its events.) It takes place in the half-year after the end of [To Green Angel Tower], and tells of the attempt by Isgrimnur and a force largely made up of Rimmersgard soldiers to destroy the remaining Norns as they flee back to their homeland and their mountain. Of course, it gets a bit more complicated than that. It also answers some questions about what actually happened in the immediate aftermath of the fall of Green Angel Tower."

"The only real returning characters from MS&T are Isgrimnur and Sludig, but there are several prominent characters from “The Witchwood Crown” as well, including the Norn lord and engineer, Viyeki, and Sir Porto, a Perdruinese man who is young in the short novel but pretty old by the time Witchwood Crown begins. There are also a few others such as Akehnabi (a Norn magician, very important in the new books) who had brief appearances in MS&T."

" Deb and I are still considering options as far as how it will be published, in part because we would like to see it come out when “Witchwood Crown” was originally scheduled, i.e. Spring of 2016. When I have more information — and there WILL be more information — I promise I will tell you immediately.

I will be happy to answer other questions, but of course I will be very conservative with any more story information than I’ve already given here. Without giving anything away, there will be threads in this story that will become very important in the trilogy to come, so it’s probably not safe to ignore if you want to stay up with the Canonical Osten Ard. (I am grinning at my own self-indulgence here.)"

Consider me SUPER excited. I pretty much adored the MS&T series and can't wait for this new one.

As well, the interim story sounds SO good...plus more Isgrimmnur and Sludig can' t ever be bad!

Oh, and you can preorder it on amazon now!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 08 December 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

So it occurs to me that of the books I inherited from my grandpa, the one I've never come to that looks intriguing is a bible sized (well, more like Brood's hammer's head sized) Dragonbone Chair.

So.

Is it any good? Is it worth me giving a tickle?

I've kept the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series on my shelf for 20 years and have read it twice, possibly three times. I recommend it. There are parts that could be described as rather ponderous or boring but even so, the overall series is well worth it. I've always thought it had elements of Arthurian legend to it. It's the only Tad Williams I've read so I can't compare his other works.

FYI, if you think The Dragonbone Chair is a large book, wait till you see the two part finale: To Green Angel Tower Part 1 and 2. Each of those dwarfs The Dragonbone Chair!

#25 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

The reread itch is getting stronger.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:32 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 13 May 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

FYI, if you think The Dragonbone Chair is a large book, wait till you see the two part finale: To Green Angel Tower Part 1 and 2. Each of those dwarfs The Dragonbone Chair!

And TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER I think holds a record for one of the longest novels ever written or something...

View Postacesn8s, on 13 May 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

Hell, I didn't even finish the series for the first time all that long ago...and I want to re-read it. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 May 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 13 May 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

And TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER I think holds a record for one of the longest novels ever written or something...

I believe those two books are still the biggest on my shelf. Maybe WoT's The Fires of Heaven comes close? Maybe...

#28 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 13 May 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

Try a cortisone cream. :D

I got the original series as they came out, which included To Green Angel Tower as one volume, coming in at *checks* 1066 pages of very thing paper with a very small font. Probably give me a headache to read now.

I mostly liked the original series except for the aforementioned slow bits. I don't recall the ending except that it was disappointing. I think my copy of Stone of Farewell even had to have an erratum page sent later on through the bookstore I ordered it from.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

For anyone thinking about re-reading, there is a new option that wasn't available before.

All of the MS&T books are now available on Audible in brand spankety new audio-book readings narrated by the amazing Andrew Wincott.

Seriously, I was going to re-read manually, but now I think I may go with these as I sampled them and they sound just incredible. I think TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER P2 only came out a few weeks back, so the timing is perfect.

SAMPLING

Update: This apppears to only be for UKers...when I went to try to grab it last night I was not allowed on Canadian Audible. Arg! A rights issue apparently. I guess I gotta wait.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

Does this mean that when the Elves start singing your ears can bleed for real?

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

The cover for the next Osten Ard book is out, and it's gorgeous!

Attached File  heart_of_what_was_lost_tad_williams.jpg (58.69K)
Number of downloads: 2

#32 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

I always feel a sense of sympathetic geek pride when I'm reminded that a guy named Tad not only survived childhood, but became a successful author in the bargain.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:49 PM

The first full book in the new Osten Ard series (not including the bridging novella THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST, which comes out in January) THE WITCHWOOD CROWN, is competed and available for Amazon preorder as it comes out April of 2017!

That means two new Osten Ard books out early next year!

Art by the brilliant Michael Whelan (not ready yet mind you...just glad he's continuing to be the artist on these all these years later!)

Anyways Williams fans, go preorder!

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:25 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 22 October 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

I'm quite xcited about it! I just dk if I ll get the hc or wait till the all pb come out. I ll need to do a reread of the 3(really 4) but I'm so slow and getting slower at my reading pace. Outlander,Safehold,& DL will have me tied up till July 2017.

I missed out on the MS&T series the first time round, so all mine are MMPB...but I adore this series so I'll be getting all the new ones in hardcover (I preordered both). I really can't wait!

#35 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

New Tad Williams interview here. :(

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#36 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:30 PM

Second part of the interview here.

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:12 AM

Is there a third part that will make us wish that you had edited the whole interview down to two parts?

#38 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 May 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Is there a third part that will make us wish that you had edited the whole interview down to two parts?

No Tad was too busy and he asked if I'd be willing to post it in two parts instead of waiting over a month to post it as a whole. He's always been good to me, so I was happy to oblige! :D

Patrick

#39 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

My review of The Witchwood Crown is up on the Hotlist.

Biggest disappointment of the year so far. . . :wallbash:

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:14 AM

Meh, it doesn't sound from the review like I'll have the same issues with it. We'll see when my preorder comes.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users