Malazan Empire: Tad Williams - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tad Williams Williams Tad

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 May 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Hope your right. That may be a serious blow for you if you share.

Meh, it could happen and still not lead me off the sequel series. Tad has only rarely led me astray....and I think some of the things Pat mentioned in his review are subjective to his views and not mine.

So here's hoping.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Just chiming in to say that I'm rounding 100 pages of THE WITCHWOOD CROWN so far and I haven't the foggiest clue what Pat's issue with the story was. I'm both enthralled by the new characters and plot progressions, and excited to not only see our old favourites back, but that they have aged and their personalities have aged with them in subtle and wonderful ways.

Not only do I have zero issues, this is shaping up to be a GREAT kickoff to the new series.

Also I have a sad, since I forgot (spoilers for TGAT)

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Pat's had a number of reviews that were real head scratchers to me. But I haven't read any Williams Tad so I can't comment on this one.

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 26 June 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

Pat's had a number of reviews that were real head scratchers to me. But I haven't read any Williams Tad so I can't comment on this one.

I read some of his review and it almost seems like he was in a certain mood, and expecting a certain type of book...while this is altogether not the type of book he was expecting. How he calls it "the slog of slogs" is baffling to me. Everything is interesting so far.

Perhaps it's because the last two books in this series (TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER, and the bridging novella THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST) are almost completely war/battles for their entire length? I dunno. There is a lot of table setting in this one, but that's because we are 30+ years on and the table needs reset after 30+ years of relative peace.

But yeah, I don't get any of the complaints. I'm loving this!

#45 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

Are you sure it'll be hard? I've literally never seen anyone mention Tad Williams except on this board, let alone spoilers for his books.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:39 AM

BK, It's a fairly big hardcover, smallish type too. It's about 700 pages, not including the glossary.

View Postworry, on 28 June 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

Are you sure it'll be hard? I've literally never seen anyone mention Tad Williams except on this board, let alone spoilers for his books.

Yeah, but you run in lame circles worry, so your frame of reference ain't exactly great. :( :D

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 June 2017 - 01:41 AM

#47 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

Haha true, true.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#48 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

So, I nearly missed my subway stop this morning because I was so intently reading. That's like my hallmark of a great book.

also (THE WITCHWOOD CROWN spoilers)

Spoiler

Am enjoying the HECK out of this read.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Sidebar: Williams is doing an AMA on Reddit at 2:30PM today.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Page 300 mid-book thoughts on THE WITCHWOOD CROWN.

Spoiler

Anyways, I’m having an absolute blast with this, and enjoying the shit out of it. MS&T fans are in for a treat when they read this one! It feels less like a direct sequel trying to copy what came before like you might see in a Brooks Shannara book, and more like a generation later, long sequel twigging new problems and resurfacing old foes with new angles. The insight into the Norns especially feels earned.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 July 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

Does he already have the others written with set dates yet or writing and waiting, I can't remember?

Yeah, so I think he's ALMOST done the second book EMPIRE OF GRASS (he mentioned it on FB), and it's expected tentatively for early May of next year, and then the third book THE NAVIGATOR'S CHILDREN I would expect the year after? And in there somewhere is another novella called THE SHADOW OF THINGS TO COME (will feature the fall of Asu’a 500 years ago, told from the perspective of a Nabbanai envoy).

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 July 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Damn 2020 will take a long time unless I buck up and get HC. Fuck that novella at HC $ though def waiting for that PB.

I've got 2 massive oak 5 shelf bookcases full of my mothers old tech stuff. Been dead 9 yrs so I should just clear out.

Yeah, since I've gone ebook digital on all but my fave authors (which is around 7-8 authors), I was able to justify the cost for the novella in HC, but it's a pricey book otherwise for sure.

WITCHWOOD is massive though, so well worth it. Plus brand new maps!

#53 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

I no longer have my MS&T (no idea who I gave them to). Gonna have to repurchase them prior to starting the new series. That will have to come after Bakker.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Nearing the last 100 pages of WITCHWOOD, and it continues to be really enthralling. The table setting in this book for the whole trilogy is IMMENSE. You can feel him setting upon LOT of plot points to cover and unfold throughout the series.

And I think one I guessed at early on:

Spoiler

may be coming true.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

#55 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

I'm about 30% into the audiobook and it's great so far.

#56 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

QT, for someone who was concerned with the slow pace and general lack of character development of the principal protagonist in To Green Angel Tower, would you recommend this book?

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 July 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

QT, for someone who was concerned with the slow pace and general lack of character development of the principal protagonist in To Green Angel Tower, would you recommend this book?

I think that Williams has learned to be an event better writer over the course of his other books since he finished MS&T...and his slower pace table setting has improved (much more seems to happen even in the slower paced sections). He's not nearly as verbose (even though the book is 700 pages) in any given passage as he was before. There is much less navel-gazing/woolgathering.

The thing I'd comment on this book is that the pervading theme here is the inexorable creep of bad things coming to Osten Ard as a kingdom is juxtaposed with being on the ground with those bad things (you literally get LOTS of POV amongst the Norns themselves). It's much more interesting than the MS&T "heroes side only". I mean you had Pryrates and Elias and such....but the Norns were largely seen from the hero side only. Adding in a Norn POV from THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST and into this book as well has added a new level to the story which I feel makes for an even more compelling narrative.

And I also think that the lack of development with Simon (I can't say that Miriamele had any such lack in MS&T..but that's just me) is not present here. Of the new main protagonists...you get right into the head of two on different sides of the coin to a HEAVY degree. There are more grays at play in this one. And Simon actually has a personality as an older 50's aged man in this one that is pretty even.

All of that said, I think this might actually be a BETTER book than anything in MS&T simply because it's trying out so many different things that Williams didn't try in MS&T. The least of which is the ground-level Norn POV. While MS&T was pretty damned solidly groundbreaking, it followed a lot of familiar tropes for Tolkien-ish fantasy novels...I don't think LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD so far does that. I am 100 pages from the end and I can't REALLY tell you what I think is going to happen to everyone by the end of this volume. Nothing feels predictable. The first few chapters, most of which involve brand new characters, are a testament to trying new things.

So yeah, so far I think I'd recommend it pretty highly.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

#58 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 July 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 14 July 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

I think that Williams has learned to be an event better writer over the course of his other books since he finished MS&T...and his slower pace table setting has improved (much more seems to happen even in the slower paced sections). He's not nearly as verbose (even though the book is 700 pages) in any given passage as he was before. There is much less navel-gazing/woolgathering.

The thing I'd comment on this book is that the pervading theme here is the inexorable creep of bad things coming to Osten Ard as a kingdom is juxtaposed with being on the ground with those bad things (you literally get LOTS of POV amongst the Norns themselves). It's much more interesting than the MS&T "heroes side only". I mean you had Pryrates and Elias and such....but the Norns were largely seen from the hero side only. Adding in a Norn POV from THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST and into this book as well has added a new level to the story which I feel makes for an even more compelling narrative.

And I also think that the lack of development with Simon (I can't say that Miriamele had any such lack in MS&T..but that's just me) is not present here. Of the new main protagonists...you get right into the head of two on different sides of the coin to a HEAVY degree. There are more grays at play in this one. And Simon actually has a personality as an older 50's aged man in this one that is pretty even.

All of that said, I think this might actually be a BETTER book than anything in MS&T simply because it's trying out so many different things that Williams didn't try in MS&T. The least of which is the ground-level Norn POV. While MS&T was pretty damned solidly groundbreaking, it followed a lot of familiar tropes for Tolkien-ish fantasy novels...I don't think LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD so far does that. I am 100 pages from the end and I can't REALLY tell you what I think is going to happen to everyone by the end of this volume. Nothing feels predictable. The first few chapters, most of which involve brand new characters, are a testament to trying new things.

So yeah, so far I think I'd recommend it pretty highly.

Got it.

I may pick this one up eventually then.

#59 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 July 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

You should also look into Shadowmarch series.

Agreed it was very good.

#60 User is offline   wullagaru 

• Corporal

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

okay I guess i'm going to have to re-read these now. Its been years, so this should be fun, as I don't remember too much about them

Also I would give Otherland another shot. It is slow in parts, but has some really great stuff.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users