Malazan Empire: Terminator: Dark Fate - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminator: Dark Fate

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 02 July 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

I'd say I might be skipping this. I thought T:S had some good ideas myself, just executed badly in cases, and this latest one seems like a jokier/punnier version of T3 which was already waay too jokey to begin with.
Isnt it time to bring back Arnie as the silent killer Terminator? And not the Talkinator which is what he looks like from trailers.

Though he's a good character in this...He has...MAYBE 12 lines in the whole thing, none of them long. He's certainly a long way from "Talkinator" whatever the heck that is.

It's hell and gone from T3 and it has the brass balls to actually do what T-SALVATION should have done (and did do in its orginal script)

I'm not trying to get you to see the movie...but I also don't think it's worth dismissing from the trailers (which arguably don't do a great job at showing why this one resets the playing surface).

As far as jokes VS drama/action, this falls completely in line with T2 for me. So take form that what you will.

I was MASSIVELY skeptical (see upthread) of this flick before I saw it. And I found myself pleasantly surprised. YMMV though.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

I'm not going to see this at the cinema. But I liked Terminator Salvation, so I might not hate this if I ever do, if it's not as dreadful as the trailers make it look.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#43 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 July 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Though he's a good character in this...He has...MAYBE 12 lines in the whole thing, none of them long. He's certainly a long way from "Talkinator" whatever the heck that is.

It's hell and gone from T3 and it has the brass balls to actually do what T-SALVATION should have done (and did do in its orginal script)

I'm not trying to get you to see the movie...but I also don't think it's worth dismissing from the trailers (which arguably don't do a great job at showing why this one resets the playing surface).

As far as jokes VS drama/action, this falls completely in line with T2 for me. So take form that what you will.

I was MASSIVELY skeptical (see upthread) of this flick before I saw it. And I found myself pleasantly surprised. YMMV though.

Well, maybe "Talkinator" is perhaps a smidge too far. Haven't see it as I said, Just taking from trailers. But as regards falling in line with T2, thats what T3 did with the constant jokes. Actually, this is a massive bone of contention for me with modern action films these days. That almost every scene of credible tension is ruined by the need for a quip/joke. T2 had some of that yes. But comparing it to T3 or some of the modern Marvel superhero films its night and day. I want to feel the characters to be in danger. Constant joking/puns utterly ruins that for me. Is "Jokinator" a better nickname for what happens in T:5? Arnie certainly was that in T3 I think.

Agreed on the great script ideas that T:S had. If they had went with that instead of what they did which was to beef up Bale's role, I would have been pleased. Maybe I'll see this one, I should get around to watching The SCC too. Apparently that is really good.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 03 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

#44 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 03 July 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

I'm not going to see this at the cinema. But I liked Terminator Salvation, so I might not hate this if I ever do, if it's not as dreadful as the trailers make it look.

Sometimes I wonder about you. For someone who's taste in books is so closely aligned to mine (I think..) you have a surprisingly unpredictable taste in movies.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#45 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Thought it flopped here...the movie is currently destroying Chinese box office.

http://variety.com/2...rds-1201576476/

As someone who enjoyed the film for what it was, I KIND of hope this means a sequel.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

Well, I saw TERMINATOR: DARK FATE yesterday. And you know what? It was excellent. Completely ignoring everything but T1 and T2 was smart...pushing the story forward was smart.

If you accept the conceit that John and Sarah averted Judgment Day 1997 due to the events of T2, then this film makes IMMENSE sense, and works really well not only as a sequel to T2, but also as a jumping off point for a new branch of the franchise. Where Salvation and Genysis failed was in their conceit that even bough T2 was successful...it didn’t matter, Skynet readjusted...this does not do that. It makes the sacrifices of T2 mean something.

Anyways, great film!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users