• You cannot reply to this topic

Terminator: Dark Fate

#21 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 04 December 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Terminator 6

Skynet sends T-800 to American Independence Period, Defeated by Muskets.

Terminator 7

Skynet sends T-1000 to Europe during the black plague to destroy Sarahs Lineage. Catapulted and destroyed.

Terminator 8..etc

Skynet sends T-800 to take on Jesus, to worhsip the future Machine-God. God Smites Machine.

Skynet is a really bad at this...for a supercomputer.

Terminator 9 - terminator becomes the seed for the Machine Cult of the Mechanicus, thus making the entirety of 40K a spin off from the Terminator franchise. The excessive time travel of the first 8 movies has created multiple holes through the universe leading into parallel dimensions, which is also how we access the Warp for the first time.
meh. Link was dead :(

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

Skynet sends T-800 to take on Jesus, to worhsip the future Machine-God. God Smites Machine.

#23 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 04 December 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

Terminator 6

Skynet sends T-800 to American Independence Period, Defeated by Muskets.

Terminator 7

Skynet sends T-1000 to Europe during the black plague to destroy Sarahs Lineage. Catapulted and destroyed.

Terminator 8..etc

Skynet is a really bad at this...for a supercomputer.

Terminator 9 - terminator becomes the seed for the Machine Cult of the Mechanicus, thus making the entirety of 40K a spin off from the Terminator franchise. The excessive time travel of the first 8 movies has created multiple holes through the universe leading into parallel dimensions, which is also how we access the Warp for the first time.

Terminator 10. Mathew McConaughey plays an up and coming lawyer at a Manhattan law firm having just been given the case that will catapult him into a partner position. He is to represent Games Workshop in their multi billion dollar lawsuit against Paramount Studios. Little does he know that Paramount of the future sent a terminator T-9999 back in time to prevent their bankruptcy. McConaughey is in a race against time, trying to finish the case before the the terminator finds him.

Terminator Legalisys - Legalize this.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#24 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostApt, on 03 December 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 December 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

Hmmmm...I don't know if this film series has any juice left. Hopefully they can refresh it.

It will always have juice. They've just forgotten what the first film was actually about. It's a sci-fi horror movie about a monster sent back through time to kill you and it will never stop. That's it.

There's two camps I've found when discussing Terminator. The ones who argue that the first movie is the best one and the ones who think that Terminator 2 is the superior movie. It's not quite the same as the Alien series but you can tell that the sequels made by Cameron go for a far broader more action oriented audience. Personally I like the first movie better. The lack of budget and the more basic plot makes for a much grittier and fascinating film.

I think that the series has suffered because it's tried to go big. The later movies were more about special effects and the story of the resistance. That's not what was the original appeal of the films. The terminator.

I think if you just make a simpler film, about the Terminator coming to kill you, it would work much better. Especially for a younger audience who doesn't have the same connection with the series.

I agree with Apt (shoot me now). The first movie is hands down the best of the two Cameron Terminators (T1 and Aliens are my favourite movies of all time so this is a subject that is close to my heart). T2 was hammy with the whole "I know now why you cry", thumbs up at the end, John Connor teaching Arnie to speak slang, playing to the masses shit whereas T1 is pretty chilling with a relentless machine going through the phone book killing Sarah Conner's. The third movie poked fun at itself too much and the terminator in that was gimmicky but the overall plot was alright with judgement day at the end. I actually didn't mind T4 because it was in the same vein as T2, a Terminator with a heart, holding the kids hand and all that. The action and the machines in it were good fun which is all we expect since T2.

So keeping in mind that the soul of the franchise was gone by the end of T2 and I have mourned its loss, I have an open mind with where they want to go next and that trailer looks promising. However, harking back to T1 and ripping scenes from it to retcon (alternate timeline means its not exactly retcon I know) stuff from that movie - they're playing with fire here. They better not fuck it up. New Kyle Reese is even wearing the same outfit that original Kyle Reese steals from a tramp in one bit of that trailer but I don't see them setting it in 80s. I'd love the studios to get over the need for Arnie to be the Terminator in this because he really is too old - CGI whatever the young face into stuff, I don't mind so long as it looks realistic and adds to the storyline but aging Terminators? No thanks!

Whatever, I'll still pay to see it in the cinema and I have an open mind but if they ruin memories of T1 then I will be very pissed off.

Edit to add - Oh yes, the name is unforgivable.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 05 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#25 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

Can't they just get Skynet to play Tic Tac Toe and be done with it all?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

I will say this against it after a few re-watches of the trailer.

Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor is about as big a miscast as I think I can imagine.

That's PROBABLY on the back of how badass and in shape Linda Hamilton got for the second film, and how Lena Headley absolutely OWNED the role in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

In comparison Emelia Clarke is...I dunno man, too soft? In the trailer at least she never really comes across as a had-ass who had been trained by a Terminator since the age of 8 to protect herself. No ropy muscles, not even the bearing Sarah should have.

Hamilton was the strength of T2, and Connor ought to be the hinge that the series swings on...and I dunno if this version is it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Do you fear she's gonna bring t much Dany onscreen or something?

She literally doesn't feel the part for me (based only on the trailer mind you). I'm not also sure I can buy the look as easily as the two previous Sarah actors, in the trailer it looks like a stiff wind would knock her over.

Attached File  Sarah_connor_05.jpg (44.12K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  616448-bios_sarah.png (179.55K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  terminator-genesis-plot.jpg (33.35K)
Number of downloads: 0

For me Sarah Connor has always been this ropy-muscled badass, and though I'm partial to T2-era Hamilton...I found I loved Lena Headley's version too...I'm probably overthinking this.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

I don't think you are. She just doesn't look like a Sarah Connor, at all.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#29 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

I would have rather had someone like
Taylor Cole on a bulked up frame woulda been better.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:57 AM

I can live with Clarke in the role, but I wish they had gone for someone smaller for Reese. This guy has the same build as a terminator. With Reese in the first film or even the SCC you had the sense of a dude going up against something that would eat him for snacks but not backing down.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 December 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

I can live with Clarke in the role, but I wish they had gone for someone smaller for Reese. This guy has the same build as a terminator. With Reese in the first film or even the SCC you had the sense of a dude going up against something that would eat him for snacks but not backing down.

Agreed.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

If you don't want to have a huge and cool plot point out the new film spoiled, don't watch the latest trailer...or read movie spoiler sites.

#33 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

If you don't want to have a huge and cool plot point out the new film spoiled, don't watch the latest trailer...or read movie spoiler sites.

Aye, found that out the hard way earlier today... cannot stand it when they do that in trailers but it seems to be happening more and more!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

View Postchamp, on 14 April 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Aye, found that out the hard way earlier today... cannot stand it when they do that in trailers but it seems to be happening more and more!

Yeah. I was annoyed because that reveal would have been an in-theatre game-changer for me. Ah well.

#35 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

I'm not annoyed. I think the twist looks as terrible as the rest of the film, which is really very terrible indeed.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#36 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

Yep, but at least that twist would have made it semi-interesting. Now there's no way in hell I'm watching it on the big screen.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#37 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

Well, shit. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#38 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

Saw this last night.

Overall thoughts? It's a VERY servicable true sequel to T1 and T2 that pretty much allows you to ignore T3 and T: SALVATION. Which is a good thing. The bones of the film are completely an homage to James Cameron (who himself has endorsed it even thoguh he's not involved). It softly reboots the series in a good way with believable shit going on to mess with the timelines. Music, cinematography, and direction are all solid.

Going to point form:

1. Emilia Clarke does such a solid job as Sarah Connor that there are moments in which her back is turned and with the pony tail and black tank top you almsot forget it's not Linda Hamilton. I naysayed her casting but within the film she works. She's NOT quite as ropey-muscled as Hamilton, but the vibe was there

2. Arnold's "Pop's" Terminator steals the movie with his role.

3. Jai Courtney is probably less annoying in this role than he has been in any role I've seen him in to date. That's not a ringing endorsement, but he does at least a SERVICABLE job of filling Kyle's role.

4. J.K. Simmons role is one that acknowledges the messed up timlines and as a result is a pretty cool add.

Going to spoilers for the rest.

Spoiler

Look, this film was never going to be any kind of mind-blowing perfection. What it does do for the series is gives it a fresh place to start from. A place where scripts don't have to just be "Skynet Sends Terminator Back" "Humans Send ***** back". It's giving it a chance to use the time travel and timelines to their advantage.

So, in order best to worst:

T2
T1
T:GENISYS
T3
T:SALVATION

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

#39 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

I'd say I might be skipping this. I thought T:S had some good ideas myself, just executed badly in cases, and this latest one seems like a jokier/punnier version of T3 which was already waay too jokey to begin with.
Isnt it time to bring back Arnie as the silent killer Terminator? And not the Talkinator which is what he looks like from trailers.

#40 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

T1 is the best film by miles, imo. A true horror classic. awesome movie
Get to the chopper!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users