Malazan Empire: Terminator: Dark Fate - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminator: Dark Fate

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

The full teaser drops tomorrow...but here is a slight tease to give us an idea.

Hmmmm...I don't know if this film series has any juice left. Hopefully they can refresh it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 December 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

Hmmmm...I don't know if this film series has any juice left. Hopefully they can refresh it.

I think Terminator: Salvation is a resounding no to that question.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

Plot reveal is telling of a new timeline branch.

Sarah Connor isn't the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton's steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991's T2. Rather, the mother of humanity's messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she's been raised by Schwarzenegger's Terminator—an older T-800 she calls "Pops"—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who's great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

The thing is, T: SALVATION had it in it to be a phenomenal film. There is a whole article about how it was all supposed to go down, and the key component and the twist was supposed to be that John Connor actually died, and the man doing the speeches to the troops was actually the Terminator they'd caught (Worthington's character) pretending to be Connor. This would infinitely confuse Skynet as to WHO was leading the humans really, and WHO they needed to stop in the past. It was genius...and fell apart in the end to give us what we got...which was shitty, shitty.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Let's make it even grittier and give it a stupid name! Geniys!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 December 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

It will always have juice. They've just forgotten what the first film was actually about. It's a sci-fi horror movie about a monster sent back through time to kill you and it will never stop. That's it.

There's two camps I've found when discussing Terminator. The ones who argue that the first movie is the best one and the ones who think that Terminator 2 is the superior movie. It's not quite the same as the Alien series but you can tell that the sequels made by Cameron go for a far broader more action oriented audience. Personally I like the first movie better. The lack of budget and the more basic plot makes for a much grittier and fascinating film.

I think that the series has suffered because it's tried to go big. The later movies were more about special effects and the story of the resistance. That's not what was the original appeal of the films. The terminator.

I think if you just make a simpler film, about the Terminator coming to kill you, it would work much better. Especially for a younger audience who doesn't have the same connection with the series.

#6 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

Lets all pretend 3-4 never happened.

Terminator 3 should have been the future war how they described it in the first two. I guess I always had it's super apocalyptic world a certain way that would have been amazing.

T3) The Future War

A super epic Future war about sending Kyle back to the past which led to T-1/T-2. Detailing the steps that led to Cybernets take over and the rise of John Connour in a true total outright war.

I wanted to see a Braveheart level charge of Humans Vs Terminators with laser miniguns , duel wielding terminators, HK's, etc...that stuff.

Never really visualized...but maybe thats a good thing!

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 03 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 03 December 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

I wanted to see a Braveheart level charge of Humans Vs Terminators with laser miniguns , duel wielding terminators, HK's, etc...that stuff.

That's true. I think the closest we've gotten to seeing that in film form was in the Animatrix SECOND RENAISSANCE.

http://www.veoh.com/...issance+Part+II

#8 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 December 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

View PostNicodimas, on 03 December 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

That's true. I think the closest we've gotten to seeing that in film form was in the Animatrix SECOND RENAISSANCE.

http://www.veoh.com/...issance+Part+II

Yeah I was going to point that out too.. That would be the closest with the scenes of escalation and tech increases.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#9 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 December 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Plot reveal is telling of a new timeline branch.

Sarah Connor isn't the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton's steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991's T2. Rather, the mother of humanity's messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she's been raised by Schwarzenegger's Terminator—an older T-800 she calls "Pops"—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who's great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

Sounds more like the plot of a swiftly-cancelled sitcom. I can hear the canned laughter now ... ugh. :The Force:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

The name already makes me want to weep. Seriously why?

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, it's a stupid name. It's POSSIBLE that it has in-film significance...but I doubt it.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Full trailer.

I dunno, it COULD work. Call me cautiously optimistic.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

They brought back a T-1000.

I'm in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

Unsure before but after that... sign me up!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 December 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

I'm in.

It seems like this is what has occurred:

T1 Arnie is sent back as he always was.

Connor sends Reese back to protect Sarah fro T1 Arnie.

Reese arrives to find that he's hunted by a T-1000 (meaning it knew where and when he was going to show up, meaning Skynet has already re-adjusted their plan)

Sarah tells Reese that they already dealt with T1 Arnie using New/Later-sent Arnie who had been sent back further in time to Sarah as a child to protect her and AWAIT the T1 Arnie to kill him (likely producing the need for Skynet to compensate and send the T-1000)

Timeline is then TOTALLY reset from T1 Arnie's appearance in the past forward.

Into that mix is the fact that Skynet ALSO has (at some point) sent Terminators back to kill Sarah's parents...orphaning her...and Connor (or someone else) sending the guardian Arnie T back to start the new timeline.

Fuck. Me head hurts. But yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hmm.

Looks more promising then I dared hope for.

One thing that bothers me though is the "We can stop judgement day from happening" line. No, you cannot stop judgement day because the film studio will always want to make more movies. But more seriously, the whole point of this plot is that every change creates a paradox that the other side tries to correct for. I'd prefer if the film heeded one of the few good points Terminator 3 hammered home. Judgement is inevitable, it is only a matter of survival.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostApt, on 04 December 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Hmm.

Looks more promising then I dared hope for.

One thing that bothers me though is the "We can stop judgement day from happening" line. No, you cannot stop judgement day because the film studio will always want to make more movies. But more seriously, the whole point of this plot is that every change creates a paradox that the other side tries to correct for. I'd prefer if the film heeded one of the few good points Terminator 3 hammered home. Judgement is inevitable, it is only a matter of survival.

I'm one of the only ppl I know who liked the last act of T3 solely BECAUSE it ended with judgement day. Like no pussyfooting around it. Nuclear winter.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

#18 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

The CGI is utterly woeful.

Neither Emilia Clarke nor Jai Courtney suit their roles at all - Clarke is particularly miscast, imo. I know a lot of people had been complaining that Gina Carrano wasn't Wonder Woman. I don't agree with that idea, but this would have been a great role for her. Clarke is just too dainty.

The characters are quoting lines from the original movies as if they've seen them, almost winking at the audience, which gives me no confidence in either the quality of the delivery nor of the script's ability to be original.

It's not going to work, I'm not optimistic at all. And I quite liked Salvation.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

It makes me angry that the showed Arnold's "I'll be back" in the trailer. That should have been a scene you had to watch the movie to get to see. It's a kind of fan service that should be used as a treat. Not a line in a trailer.

#20 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 December 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 December 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

I'm in.

It seems like this is what has occurred:

T1 Arnie is sent back as he always was.

Connor sends Reese back to protect Sarah fro T1 Arnie.

Reese arrives to find that he's hunted by a T-1000 (meaning it knew where and when he was going to show up, meaning Skynet has already re-adjusted their plan)

Sarah tells Reese that they already dealt with T1 Arnie using New/Later-sent Arnie who had been sent back further in time to Sarah as a child to protect her and AWAIT the T1 Arnie to kill him (likely producing the need for Skynet to compensate and send the T-1000)

Timeline is then TOTALLY reset from T1 Arnie's appearance in the past forward.

Into that mix is the fact that Skynet ALSO has (at some point) sent Terminators back to kill Sarah's parents...orphaning her...and Connor (or someone else) sending the guardian Arnie T back to start the new timeline.

Fuck. Me head hurts. But yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Terminator 6

Skynet sends T-800 to American Independence Period, Defeated by Muskets.

Terminator 7

Skynet sends T-1000 to Europe during the black plague to destroy Sarahs Lineage. Catapulted and destroyed.

Terminator 8..etc

Skynet sends T-800 to take on Jesus, to worhsip the future Machine-God. God Smites Machine.

Skynet is a really bad at this...for a supercomputer.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users